– Night, y’all. – Goodnight, Mamaw.
-晚安 女儿 -晚安 爸 明天见
– Good night, daughter. – Night, Dad. See ya tomorrow.
不管我的外公外婆
Whatever better life
在23号♥公路上追逐的是哪种美好生活
my grandparents had chased up Route 23,
他们都没追到
they never caught it.
我们在米德尔顿都变了
We were all different in Middletown somehow.
好像缺失了什么东西
I don’t know, like something was missing.
可能是希望吧
Maybe hope.
十四年后
-工资 -抱歉 谢了
– Paycheck. – Sorry. Thanks.
23号♥公路到不了耶鲁大学
You couldn’t get to Yale on Route 23,
但我比他们所有人
but I’d come closer than any of ’em
都更接近那个美好的梦想
to that dream of something better.
它就在我的面前
I could see it right there in front of me.
但我深知抵达那里的道路崎岖不平
But a part of me knew the road from here to there is rocky.
2001年 康涅狄格州 纽黑文
耶鲁法学院
除了直面困难别无他法
There’s no way around but through.
干嘛 快收好
What? Put it away.
-吃吧 -不 我要学习
– Eat it. – No, I have to study.
乌莎 你得吃点东西
Usha, you have to eat.
他们发现了会把我赶出去的
They’ll boot me if they see food in here.
我替你打掩护 跟我来
I’ll cover for you. Come on.
-等等 有人来了 -什么
– Wait. Stop! Stop! They’re coming! – What?
快收起来 他们发现了 要过来了
Put it away! They know! They’re coming!
-好的 -有监控
– Okay. – The cameras!
他们会把你关进地牢
They’re gonna take you to the dungeons,
乌莎 著名的耶鲁地牢
Usha, the famous Yale dungeons!
混♥蛋♥ 别闹了 你要吃点吗
You jerk! Stop! Do you want some?
不了 我今晚要参加晚宴
No, I have a dinner tonight.
你一定没问题
You’re gonna do great.
-你紧张吗 怎么了 -不
– Are you nervous? What’s going on? – No.
我肯定会在那群三大名校生中脱颖而出
I’m really gonna shine up against all those triple Ivy League types.
你要是走投无路了
If you’re desperate, you can…
1863至1♥8♥9♥1年
居住在西弗吉尼亚州和肯塔基州边界
两个家族之间的冲突械斗
总是可以聊聊哈特菲尔德和麦考伊两大家族的夙怨
you can always talk about the Hatfield-McCoy thing.
我的天 我就不该和你说的
Oh my god. I never should have told you that.
太扯了
This is ridiculous.
你一定能拿下 好吗
You’re gonna get this, okay?
我必须拿下 我不会让你一个人去特区的
I have to ’cause I’m not letting you go to D.C. without me.
没有你 我也不想去
I don’t want to be there without you.
我约了谈话
I have a meeting.
但我爱你
But I love you.
我爱你
I love you.
-真的吗 -真的
– Yeah? – Yeah.
我也爱你
I love you back.
谢谢
Thanks.
估计总学费 67825美元
净学费 21390美元
-JD 见到你真高兴 -嗯
– Hey, J.D., good to see you. – Hey. Yeah.
你拿到明年的助学金了吗
So you got your aid package for next year?
是的 我正想和你谈谈这个
Yeah, I’ve been meaning to talk to you about that.
我知道 比起第一年是少了点
I know. It’s not as much as the first year.
吉尔 我在打三份工
Jill, I’m working three jobs.
但还是付不起21000美元
I still can’t afford $21,000.
律所招聘周怎么样了
How’s firm week going?
还在找 我收到了一通回电
It’s going. I got a callback,
今晚有个晚宴 明天还有几个面试
a dinner tonight, a couple of interviews tomorrow…
你也知道暑期律师的标准薪资
You know the standard salary for a summer associate
远不止三万美元
is well over $30,000.
前提是我能找到工作 要是没找到呢
If I get the job. What if I don’t?
我想能不能有个应急方案
I’m looking for a contingency plan.
有吗
Is there one?
我已经帮你够多的了
You know, I’d do more for you if I could.
你会找到其中一份工作的 JD
You’re gonna get one of these jobs, J.D.
我很确定
I’m sure of it.
JD·万斯
我当然可以做公♥司♥职员
I would definitely consider a clerkship,
但我完全也能去律所发展
but I could also see myself going the firm route, as well.
很有道理 多给自己一些选择余地
Makes perfect sense. Keep your options open.
我向大家介绍一下你
Let’s introduce you around.
好极了 因为我正好有想认识的人
Perfect. There’s actually someone I was hoping to meet.
霍莉 你来了
Holly! You made it!
布鲁克斯 是啊
Brooks! Yes, I did.
作为一名《耶鲁法律期刊》的编辑
As an editor at the Journal,
我接触过所有顶尖的律所
I had the opportunity to meet with all the top firms,
所以我肯定会考虑…
so I would definitely consider something?
不好意思
Excuse me.
周二打给我
Call me Tuesday.
来杯酒吗 先生
Care for wine, sir?
喝点吧 他们的酒可不错
Have some. They’re serving the good stuff.
红的还是白的
Red or white?
白葡萄酒就好
White is fine.
霞多丽还是白苏维浓
Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc?
试试霞多丽吧
Try the Chardonnay.
-谢谢 -你刚想说什么
– Thank you. – You were saying?
对 我…抱歉
Yes, I… Sorry.
琳赛
我女友有份特区的暑期工作
so, my girlfriend has a summer position in D.C.,
我想找菲利普·罗斯曼谈谈
and I was hoping to talk to Phillip Roseman
-因为他的律所… -他就在那
– because his firm… – There he is right there.
戴眼镜的高个
Tall guy with the glasses.
我忘了 你本科是在哪里读的
Remind me. Where did you go for undergrad?
俄亥俄州立大学
Ohio State.
想起来了 很多州立大学还是不错的
Right. Plenty of great state schools.
你那位企业律师爸爸失望了吗
Corporate lawyer father upset about that?
当然 谁还没体验过失望呢
Of course. We all have our share of that, too.
诉讼律师 转变还挺大的
So litigation, pretty big transition.
这里有人吗
Is this seat taken?
请吧
Go ahead.
我是菲利普·罗斯曼
Phillip Roseman.
我是JD·万斯 谢谢
J.D. Vance. Thanks.
不错 就该这样 我第一个暑假也做的这个
Very good. That’s the thing to do. That’s what I did my first summer.
-它的本质… -我想专注于法律本身
– …nature of it all. – I wanted to be able to focus on the laws.
你是《耶鲁法律期刊》的吗
So, you on the Journal?
-不是 这次没能入选 -真遗憾
– No, I didn’t get in this time. – Too bad.
不过我会再试一次
I’m gonna try again, though.
没有《耶鲁法律期刊》背景 很多律所根本不会考虑
Lot of firms won’t touch you without it.
是的 先生 我也有所耳闻
Yes, sir. That’s what I’ve heard.
失陪一下 抱歉
Will you excuse me? I’m sorry.
JD
J.D.?
为什么有这么多叉子
Why are there so many fuckin’ forks?
乌莎 这么多叉子要怎么用
Usha, what am I supposed to do with all these forks?
他们还提供两种白葡萄酒 简直是在考我
They had two different kinds of white wine. It’s like a test.
就是要考你
It is a test.
下次直接要最不甜的那种
Next time just say you’ll have whatever’s driest.
最不甜的 好
Driest, okay.
听着 餐具从最外面开始用
Listen, use the silverware from the outside in.
如果刀刃很怪 就是吃鱼用的
If the knife has a funny edge, it’s for fish.
如果勺子大到离谱 就是喝汤用的
If the spoon’s too big, it’s for soup,
盘子上头那把勺子是吃甜点的
and the spoon at the top, that’s for dessert.
试一下 把两只手的大拇指和食指圈起来
Try it. Put your first finger and your thumb together on each hand.
-什么 -照做就是了
– What? – Do it. Just do it.
右手的”D”代表酒
You have “D” For drink on the right
左手的”B”代表面包
and “B” for bread on the left.
-懂了吗 -知道了
– Got it? – Okay.
现在把手放在眼睛上
Now put your hands up to your eyes.
-然后呢 -天呐 你居然真照做了
– Now what? – Oh, my God. You actually did it?
我的天
Oh, my God.
天呐 我真傻 你看上我什么了
Oh, my God. I’m such an idiot. Why are you with me?
看上你不是个混♥蛋♥
Well, because you’re not a douchebag
还不知道怎么用餐具
and you don’t know how to use forks.
最好的律所叫你二面 你知道这多难得吗
You got a callback at the best firm. Are you registering that?
只是顿晚餐而已 好吗

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!