You’ve said that you were from Germany.
你什么时候离开德国的
When did you leave Germany?
或许我们该先停拍
Maybe we should stop filming.
我六岁时随家人来到美国
We came to American when I was six years old.
我们住在服装区的二室公♥寓♥里(生产服装的厂区周围)
We lived in a 2-room apartment in the Garment District.
我 我弟弟 我父母和厨房♥的蟑螂一起蜗居
Me and my brother and my parents and cockroaches in the kitchen.
我们那时很穷 这就是为什么我做了物理学家
We were poor. That’s why I became a physicist,
不是为了挣大钱 不是为了诺贝尔奖
not to get rich, not to win the Nobel,
只是不想再做个穷♥人♥
to stop being poor.
嘶嘶声不是来自纽约
New York, wasn’t it.
我们把20英尺的天线指向纽约
We pointed 20 feet horn at the city.
他反馈了一个合理的量,但是
It gave us a reasonable amount but-
不够质的嘶嘶声
Not enough hiss.
程度不够
Not enough.
要赢得诺贝尔奖 需要发现什么
To win the Nobel Prize you have to find something.
对吗 诺奖提名不出自猜想或理论
Am I right? It’s not about thinking or theory.
是给予探索与发现的
It’s about discovery.
但是找到的不一定就是你想要的
But do you have to be looking for the thing that you find?
科学研究有时会变成持久战
Science can be slow work.
几乎没谁会在洗澡的时候灵光一现(阿基米德与流体静力学第一定理)
It’s hardly ever about eureka moments in the bath.
你得精益求精 坚韧不拔 全心全意
You need precision, tenacity, dedication.
德国人的生来的长处
German talents.
有人找你 霍金先生
Your visitor, Mr. Hawking.
他目不转睛地盯着我
He wouldn’t let me out of sight, not once.
好像我还能打劫似的
Scared me out of my mug, I think.
规矩规矩这么多烦文缛节
Oh, rules, rules, rules!
彭罗斯在伦敦有演讲 你来不来?
Penrose’s lecture in London. Otherwise engaged?
史蒂芬 你没事吧
Stephen? Are you all right?
挺好的 挺好的
Fine, fine.
噢.你的口头禅
Oh, your two favourite words.
我现在找你合适吗?
Is it all right for me to have come?
挺好的
Fine.
不 不该你呢
No, it’s not your turn.
你在干嘛
What are you doing?
规则是.我打歪了要再打一次
It’s in the rules, I’ve cricketed it and so I go again.
你能一直这么打下去吗
Can you keep doing that?
当然能了
Of course I can.
你要把你的球
So what you are supposed to do get your pair of balls
打得尽量远 然后…
as far away from it as possible and then…..
怎么了 你笑什么
What? What is it? What you’re doing, croaking?
等等 彭罗斯在伦敦的演讲
Hold on. A Penrose lecture in London.
没关系 快去吧 去工作啊
It’s all right. Go, now! Work!
你们的右臂上的二头肌都很发达
You all have big biceps, on the right arms.
因为你们用大半生
Because you spent half of your lives
走过成里的黑板 制♥造♥了成吨♥的粉笔灰
scoring tons of chalk dust, across miles of blackboard.
而我…
I…
不那么做
Don’t do that.
我有一个神奇的美妙的东西要告诉你们
I have something magic and wonderful to tell you about.
它很快 很有活力
It’s fast, it’s vigorous,
而且用不上发达的二头肌 它叫拓扑
and you don’t need big muscles. It’s called topology.
研究图形 而不是方程
Pictures, not equations.
光是最快的
And nothing moves faster than light.
秒速为186000英里 光速是最快的
Under 186,000 miles per second, light is the fastest,
它的速度让它轻松地克服了引力(第三宇宙速度为1.67km/s)
easily fast enough to overcome the gravity pull of,
而脱离了太阳
say, the sun,
和地球 跑了出去
or the Earth, and escaped.
它的速度快到
The speed is high enough
能摆脱拉住它的引力
to get away from the gravity pulling it back.
如果太阳…
What if the sun…
密度再大一点呢
were more concentrated?
如果太阳坍缩了呢
What if the sun were collapsed?
他的密度变得很大,从而引力很大(F=GmM/r^2)
The density becomes huge, the gravity pull enormous.
没什么能够逃逸
And now nothing could stop
将一切都纳入其中,甚至光
gravity pulling everything in – even light.
奇点就形成了
A singularity forms.
奇点是什么呢
What is singularity?
奇点是一个地方 所有物质 光 空间
A singularity is a place where matter, light, space…
时间 一切
Time. Everything.
物理学奇点,全称“奇异点”.物理学上一个存在又不存在的点。
都被扭曲,然后消失
Fold in on themselves, and dissappear.
它深邃,以至彻底的虚无缥缈
It’s profound, and total nothingness.
一切归虚
Everything in nothing.
迄今,所有写些繁复的公式
And up until now, all of you people
还有二头肌发达的人 总是说
with your big biceps and your big equations, have always said,
“我的公式
“Oh, my big equation
以奇点结束了 我肯定是错了”
is ending in a singularity, I must be wrong.”
爱因斯坦就是被这个吓倒了
That’s what frightened Einstein.
奇点不可能存在
Singularities can’t exist
因为科学的定律不许它存在
because the laws of science don’t allow for them.
错了 奇点存在
Wrong. Singularities do exist.
只能是完美的球体 理想之星
For perfect sphere, for ideal light stars.
不对 真实存在的恒星
No, for real stars.
真正的恒星也会这样 奇点是存在的
Real stars do it, too. Singularities are out there.
在有些地方 科学和定律不再适用
There are places where science and rules break down
没有物质 没用空间 什么都没有
where there is no matter, no space, nothing,
所有东西 包括时间 都不存在了
where everything, including time, does not exist.
而一颗恒星坍缩的时候 奇点的产生无可避免
And when a star collapses, singularity is inevitable.
拓扑学不去管那些不愉快的部分
Topology doesn’t bother with
以及一些糟糕的天体运动
the messy stuff about particals and how they move,
而是研究事物的联♥系♥
it’s about how things connect.
往大处想
Big thinking.
大胆地往大的方面想
Big bold thinking.
这样你就能想到一些定理的禁区
It takes you to places where the rules say you can’t go.
我们不能放弃他呀
And it’s fast. You say that it is fast.
我对你一直都是实话实说
I’ve tried to be truthful with you.
所以我现在也是实言相告
I’m not going to stop now.
我们无能为力了
There’s nothing more we can do.
这个病是没法治的
There’s no treatment to it.
对不起
I’m sorry.
他们不管他了
They’ve washed their hands off him.
我们得坚持下去啊
We got to carry on for him.
坚持 坚持
Carry on, carry on.
我们要做的不只是坚持那么简单
We have to do a lot more than carry on.
维生素B 羟钴胺素 还要点类固醇吗
Vitamin B? Hydroxocobalamin? And steroids?
我还没放弃你 他们错了
I haven’t washed my hands off you, they’re wrong.
你听到了吗 他们错了
You understand that they’re wrong? The lot of them!
你从不谈他的病情
You don’t ever talk about his illness.
他自己从不说
He doesn’t speak about it.
我们就尊重他的意愿 很简单
We respect that, it’s simple really.
那你怎么看我呢
What do you think of me?
我是说 你觉得我该怎么办
I mean, what do you think that I should do?
对不起 这不公平 别回答 乔治
Sorry, that’s not fair, don’t answer, George.
你大概认为我该自己走人
You probably think I should take myself off
回圣奥尔本斯去嫁个健全的老公
back to St. Albans and look for a nice husband.
我觉得你不谈他的病情很好
I think it’s terrific you don’t talk about his illness.
蓝色的灯光
Blue lights are picking up
让洗衣粉中的荧光粉更加醒目
the fluorescence you get in washing powder.
那就是为什么他们的衬衫显得更亮
That’s why their shirts are luminated.
好奇怪
Very strange.
礼服是新的
Dresses are new.
没有洗过 所以没有荧光剂
They haven’t been washed so they are not fluorescent.
你看 伟大的科学家
Here you see? Great scientist.
我能告诉你
I can tell you all about how
洗衣粉是怎么被蓝♥光♥”染色”的
washing powders react dye in the blue lights.
有史以来最伟大的问题
One of the great questions of all time
什么会在蓝♥光♥的照耀下显得更醒目
whether tie dazzle in the blue lights.
你想跳舞吗
Do you want to dance?
我不知道你该怎么做
I don’t know what you should do.
我知道他想要什么
I know what he wants.
-有房♥ 有花♥园♥ 有孩子… -一起生活
– House, garden, children with… – A life together.
这是不可能的
Impossible.