which is why I can’t do what you asked me, Dr. Hawking.
很抱歉
I’m sorry.
宇宙学 这门不实际的科学
Cosmology. The “get-told” Science,
只有猜想没有证据
all speculation no proof…
不实际?
“Get -told” Science?
“我们怎么来的 未来又将怎样
“How we got here, where we’re going,
时间是什么” 对我们来说都是颇为重要的问题
what is time?” Ask us all sort of big questions.
史蒂芬
Stephen!
想到课题了吗 有什么好点子?
Have you got a subject? You brought a big idea back with you?
-还没 -还有时间 多得是
– No. – Plenty of time, plenty of time.
二十世纪物理界最伟大的成就
The greatest achievement to physics in the twentieth century,
罗斯福 奥本海默 他们带给我们什么
Roosevelt, Oppenheimer, what have they given us?
核武器
The atomic bomb.
我们怎么来,未来将怎样
What’s the point in asking
问这有什么意思?
how we got here and where we are going,
反正爱因斯坦和你们这帮家伙已经…
if Einstein and your mob’ve already got us all ready for…
你为原♥子♥弹♥怪爱因斯坦就像为飞机失事
Blaming Einstein for that is like blaming Isaac Newton for
怪艾萨克·牛顿发现了重力
plane crashes because he discovered gravity.
诡辩
Very clever.
真聪明,可应用不到我们的生活呀(事实上1954年苏联已有了核电站)
Very smart. But those smart isn’t real world, is it?
宇宙学家也对真实世界不感兴趣
Cosmologists is not interested in the real world.
-你看见那女孩了吗 -她怎么了
– Do you see that girl? – What about her?
史蒂芬会让她爱上他
Stephen is going to make her fall in love with him.
只用爱因斯坦的相对论就行
Using only Einstein’s theory of relativity.
乔治
George?
要我说这不可能
Tom says it can’t be done.
我真的觉得这不太合适
I really don’t think it is a good idea.
我们系的面子岌岌可危啊
The honor and integrity of our entire subject is at stake here.
好吧 好吧
All right. All right.
上吧
Do it.
一杯加姜汁的鸡尾酒 我想是…
One ginger tonic. And I think it’s…
抱歉 请问你知道时间吗
Excuse me, you got the time, please?
我的时间是七点半 你的时间呢
I make it half pass seven, what time do you make it?
你已经知道几点了
You already know the time.
只知道我的时间
I know my time.
你开玩笑吧
Are you trying to be funny?
时间并不是普适量
Time is not universal quantity.
我们以前以为它是的
We used to think that it was,
我们以前以为时间就那么存在着
we used to think that it was just there,
对于任意地点的任意人,
marching on at the same pace
时间流逝的速度一样快
for everyone everywhere,
就像并行的无限延伸着的铁轨
like a railway track that stretches to infinity.
时间曾被认为是永恒存在的
Time was eternal.
现在我们知道它不是
Now we know it isn’t.
你得知道探究它的重要性!
You have to know this is incredibly important.
时间不能作为参照物,它不是绝对的
Time is not background thing, it is not absolute,
不同于其他有固定标准的参考系,它是动态的
against which everything else is measured. It’s dynamic.
动态的
Dynamic?
很频繁
Active.
频繁?
Active?
没错 假设你向东做高速直线运动
Wonderful. If you were to travel east very very quickly…
视野以外?远东?
Out of sight? The far east?
比远东还远
The far far east.
完全找不到影?
Completely out of sight?
对 . 完全看不到
Yes, completely out of sight.
而我留在这儿
And I stay right here,
相对于我,你的时间流逝得更慢
your time will slow down relative to mine.
那我就变得非常非常慢了
Like I get really really slow?
如果你能走得非常非常快
If you went very very fast.
如果我走得非常非常快
If you went very very fast?
我就变得非常非常慢了
I get really really slow!
你的时间相对我的时间就会变慢了
Your time would, relative to mine.
呃….完全不懂
Hah…totally out of sight.
时间是很重要的
Time is very important.
我怎么认识你的?
What starts I know you?
什么 我不知道
What? I don’t know.
你没事吧
Are you all right?
挺好
Fine.
你还要来一杯吗
Did you want another?
那是谁
Who’s that?
罗杰·彭罗斯 天才啊
Roger Penrose. Brilliant brain.
三年内,他必当上教授
He would be a professor within three years.
抱歉 我能再来一杯吗
Sorry, could I?
是这样的,呃..我刚.呃..
The thing is, er…just then, er,
我刚在想数学问题 没注意
I was thinking about mathematics and not pay attention,
有时我在想另一个维度的数学题
sometimes I’m thinking of numbers in a different dimensions
然后没法马上回过神来接话
I can’t come back very quickly to words
这我控制不了
being whether I want it or not,
因为我脑海中浮现着许多场景,
it’s because of pictures in my head I…
我暂时不知道怎么描述
don’t know how to make the words come.
明白吗?
You see?
根本没
(?这什么口音呀)at all
好的 谢谢
Yes, please.
亲爱的简
Dear Jane
亲爱的简 我挺好
Dear Jane I`m fine
差劲的管弦乐编曲 太过浪漫 瓦格纳很瞧不起他
Poor orchestration, overly romantic. Wagner despised him.
英雄所见略同
The feeling was mutual.
什么
What?
勃拉姆斯也瞧不起瓦格纳
Brahms despised Wagner.
你不能这样比
Well, you can’t compare the two for one thing that…
史蒂芬!
Stephen!
怎么了
Yes.
你好啊
Hello?
你好
Hello.
你没事吧
Are you all right?
我没事
I’m fine.
挺好的
Fine.
我没事
I’m fine.
丹麦是座监狱(哈姆雷特–莎士比亚)
Denmark’s a prison.
那这世界可是监狱
Then is the world one?
世界是一个大囚牢,那里面有那么多监房♥、囚室、地牢
A goodly one; in which there are many confines,
牢笼和地牢 丹麦是最坏的一座
wards and dungeons, Denmark being one o’ the worst.
我们可不这么认为 ,王子殿下
We think not so, my lord.
那只是你不这么认为
Why, then, ’tis none to you;
没有什么是绝对的好与坏
for there is nothing either good or bad,
但是对于个人而言就可这么看
but thinking makes it so:
对我来说 这就是一座监狱
To me .it is a prison.
那么,是您的野心影响你这么看的
Why then, your ambition makes it one;
您的心胸太狭隘
’tis too narrow for your mind.
上帝啊 即使我身困于果壳之中
O God, I could be bounded in a nut shell
仍自以为是无限宇宙之王!(霍金的著作时间简史中也引用了这句)
and count myself a king of infinite space!
在我的国度里 我不再有梦魇
where it not that I have bad dreams.
你在想什么
What are you thinking?
我在..呃..想爱因斯坦和相对论
I was…er…thinking about Einstein and the relativity.

Oh.
-还有星星 -嗯
-And stars. -Oh.
一颗超新星可能消失(坍缩成为一颗中子星或者黑洞)
It’s possible for a perfect star to collapse into nothingness.
如果它是很完美的球体
If it’s a perfect sphere than
那它就能坍圮成为无限密实的物体
it can collapse and become infinitely dense,
密度之大 能够吸引一切物质
so dense that everything is pulled down into nothing.
但必须得符合先决条件
But the conditions have to be right.
什么前提?
What conditions?
如果恒星是完美的球体
Yeah, if it is a perfect sphere,
如果那里很壮丽 很美丽(意译不出,只好直译)
if a place has been very moving, if even it’s very beautiful.
前提条件必须是理想的
The condition has to be ideal,
才有可能然引力阻止任何
and is possible for the pull of the gravity,
物体逃逸
to stop everything escaping,
把一切归于虚无
everything in nothing.
哦,不!
Oh, no!
我没那么差吧?
Wasn’t that bad, was it?
我的包 我落在剧院了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!