That was our work, from then on in.
日复一日地琢磨热量的来源
Day after day. What’s all this heat,
这些噪声(嘶嘶声)到底是什么
what the hell is this hiss.
昨晚死了 苦命的娃
Died in the night, poor lad.
我到底得了什么病
What’s happened to me?
一般来说我会在家属面前和患者谈
Usually I would sit down with the patient and his family.
求你
Please!
运动神经元病
Motor neuron disease.
什么?具体临床表现是什么?
What, what it is? What happens?
运动神经元是大脑中发出运动信♥号♥♥的神经元
Motor neurons in the brain, which signal movement,
-他们正在衰亡 -那会怎样?
-they’re dying. -So?
运动神经元病简称mnd是以损害脊髓前角,
桥延脑颅神经运动核和锥体束为主的一组
慢性进行性变性疾病。临床以上或(和)下
运动神经元损害引起的瘫痪为主要表现,
其中以上、下运动神经元合并受损者为最常见。
大脑不能向肌肉发出运动的指令
The brain stops telling muscles to move,
电讯号♥无法传递
the signal’s not sent,
肌肉得不到锻炼 就逐渐萎缩了
the muscles are not used, so they waste away, slowly.
要多久呢?
How slowly?
肌肉功能衰退导致它不再有运动的能力了
The muscle’s wastage causes immobility.
要多久
How slowly?
这会逐渐瘫痪
It’s gradual paralysis.
然后呢?然后怎么了?
And then? Then what?
用来呼吸的肌肉(平滑肌)与其他肌肉不同,是不受大脑控制的
The respiratory muscles unlike most of the other muscles,work automatically.
平滑肌能够长时间拉紧和维持张力。这种肌肉
不随意志收缩,意味着神经系统会自动控制它
们,而无需人去考虑
-你是指呼吸 -对
– Breathing. – Yes.
所以呼吸肌会萎缩得更慢
They don’t waste away so quickly.
但也会萎缩,最终都会萎缩
But, but they do, they do, waste away.
是的
Yes.
所以呢? 我将呼吸不顺畅,
So what? I won’t be able to breath properly,
最终我会窒息
And then I won’t be able to breath at all.
就像 就像溺水
So it’s like, like drowning.
那我的大脑呢?它会怎样?
What about the brain? The brain itself?
安然无恙
Untouched.
大脑不受影响
Brain is left untouched.
年轻对他来说 这该是件好事
He is young. That will work in his favor.
弗兰克
Frank?
还记得他八岁的时候吗?
Remember when he was about 8 years old,
我们在花♥园♥里玩天文望远镜
and we were in the garden with telescope.
史蒂芬问我
And Stephen said to me:
“星星是哪来的”
“Where do stars come from?”
我不知道这原由
I didn’t know the answer.
当你叫他上♥床♥的时候
And you called him into bed and
他仍然对这个念念不忘
he wanted to know the answer to his question very badly.
那时我就说“别担心,我会替你去问的”
And I said: “Not to worry, I’ll find out for you.”
但我食言了
I never did.
你从不是个多愁善感的男人
You’ve never been a sentimental man, Frank.

No.
你现在要是变得善感我们怕是消受不起
I don’t think we can afford for you to start now.
我去查过了
I looked it up.
这类运动神经元病患者越是年轻
The younger while you get motor neurone disease,
肌肉萎缩的速度就越快
the quicker, the deterioration.
年轻对于他是件坏事. 伊泽贝尔
Being young, is a bad thing, Isobel.
最多活两年
Two years, probably no more.
那时我们就要扶着他.
Then we must support him.
是的
Yes.
你要帮他 坚持下去
You do it, by carrying on.
你要帮他,让他继续生活下去
You do it, by living and carrying on.
他准备回剑桥 回归他的生活
He’s going back to Cambridge, to his life.
你知道霍伊尔说什么吗
Do you know what Holye says?
什么?
What?
如果你开车一直做直线运动
You could drive the car straight upwards.
半个小时就能到太空了
You’d reach the space in half an hour.
绕着银河系开一圈要多久?
How long to drive around the Milky Way?
计算银河系的直径
You must apply the diameter of the galaxy
应该用光年做单位
by the distance of one light year.
小菜一碟
Easy.
计算吗
The calculation.
这辆车 才刚从印度跑了个来回 记得吗
The car, just had been to India and back, you remember?
读个博要多久?
How long dose it take to complete the PhD?
这与研究课题有关
It depends on the subject.
如果一路顺风呢?
With a fair wind?
如果一路顺风切且天资聪慧,两年。
With a fair wind and a good brain, two years.
你的博导是谁?
What’s the name of your supervisor?
夏马 丹尼斯·夏马
Sciama. Dennis Sciama.
5.08697306×10?10英里为银河系周长
50,869,730.6 million miles, around the Milky Way.
我们从外界接收到的热量
The heat we were receiving from out there
本该比参照物低两度
should be 2 degrees colder than the cold load, the reference.
但它事实上要高三度
But it was hotter, three degrees hotter.
比银河系所能产生的热量更多
Hotter than the Milky Way could produce.
也比其他星系所释放的更热
Hotter than some of all the galaxies beyond.
所以我们猜…
So we felt…
这源头肯定离地球很近
It has to be something close to the home.
于是我们提出了个猜想, 还是是你想出来的?
We had an idea. Or was it you had an idea?
我记不得了
I don’t remember.
我们林林总总列了一清单的猜想
Oh we had a whole laundry list of ideas.
有的是我的.有的是你的
Maybe it was me, maybe it was you.
你们是一个团队
You’re a team.
-可能是我 -什么猜想?
– Maybe was me. – What, what’s the idea?
在50年代 有一些高海拔的
There was some high altitude bomb testing
炸♥弹♥测试
back in the 50s.
或许是一些辐射 或许使他们放出的高频噪音(嘶嘶声)
Maybe it’s leftover radiation, maybe our hiss for them.
但这些都会逐渐减弱 可我们接收到的呢
But it would diminish over time, and what we were getting?
完全不变,没点改变
Totally constant, no diminishing.
回到我们那个清单
Back to the laundry list.
剑桥大学 三一学院
1963年春
夏马 丹尼斯 没错
Sciama. Dennis, yes.
嗯,我不清楚,是S-H-A-R-M-A这么拼?
Er, I don’t know. S-H-A-R-M-A?
他好像是意大利裔
I think he is Italian.
您是丹尼斯·夏马吗
Dennis Sciama?
正是
Yes.
我是弗兰克·霍金
Frank Hawking.
应用数学及
理论物理部
你好 帅小伙
Hello, young man.
我们之前认识?
Do I know you?
我是史蒂芬·霍金
Stephen Hawking.
我曾申请您做我的博导
I, I applied for you to supervise my Ph.D.
那时我太忙,所以拒绝了。是吗?
Too busy, was I?
我想是的
Yes, I think so.
脑子 胆子 还有票子
Brains, balls, and cash.
是么意思?
I’m sorry?
物理学术界在我国是个血腥的战场
Physics, in this country is a battle field and a bloody one.
本来有天赋就行了,但现实是残酷的
You need brains which ought to be enough but it isn’t,
因为你得有钱去资助你应用大脑的地方
because you need cash to fund whatever your brain is working on.
然后你要去争别人还没拉走的赞助
And to get cash no one has in this country,
最后要有胆,是因为总会有人和你抢
you need balls because they’ll try and stop you.
你会碰到的 选好课题了吗
You will see. You found the subject?
有什么想法吗
Any ideas?
还没
I don’t know yet.
等你想好了 要记住
Well, when you do, remember this:
你要为你所信奉的真理斗争到底
You have to fight for what you believe in to the nail,
不然别的混♥蛋♥就会把你踩在脚下
or the buggers will stop you.
物理就是他的一切
Physics means everything to him.
我希望他快乐 夏马先生
I want him to be happy, Mr. Sciama.
我能做点什么?
What can I do?
我希望你能给他一个项目
I want you to set him a question that he can… finish.
在他死前能够轻松完成
Something easy enough for him to finish,
的课题
before he dies.
求您了.
Please.
我的学生和我的科研是我的一切
My students and my science are everything to me.
我凭良心做事
I try to be true to both,
所以我不能偏袒他 霍金医生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!