I can’t!
很有趣是吧!
Very funny!
我起不来 简
I can’t get up, Jane!
我叫人来帮你
I’ll go and get help.
喂 简
Hello Jane!

Hello?
听得到吗?
Can you hear me?
你怎么了
What’s wrong with you?
我起不来
I can’t get up!
把你的手给我
Well, give me your hands.
会疼吗
Will it hurt?
-说真的? -疼
-The truth? -Yes.
再蜷起来一些
A little bit more.
很好 现在别动 保持住(要hold住.哈哈)
That’s good. Now, hold. Hold still.
可能有点不舒服
That’s might be a little bit more uncomfortable.
你多大了 史蒂芬
How old are you, Stephen?
我二十一
I’m 21.
你多大了
How old are you?
我可比你大
I’m older than you.
大多少
How much older?
我三十三了
I’m thirty-three.
要猜还真有难度,保养得真好,看不出你有33了(听了30来遍,大概英文应该如此)
that is interesting to guess, bad memory might make it hard to.
你是干哪行的?呃.. 等等 让我猜猜
What did you do? Oh no, wait, let me guess.
呃…做保险推销的 ?还是银行的人?
Um… insurance sales man? Or banking maybe?
我…我是宇宙学家
I am a, I’m a cosmologist.
哇,挺厉害的
Oh, good for you.
刚开始读博
Just start my PhD,
或者说刚开始考虑念什么系
or rather just start to think about what my Ph.D might be.
这个疗程大概要五分钟
Now it’ll take about five minutes.
有时闲聊点别的不相干的事
Sometimes it helps, too,
会有点帮助的
to talk about something completely different.
会转移你的注意力
To take your mind off all this,
然后在这个空间里的时间会过得更快些
and then your time suspend in space will pass more quickly.
时间和空间不能独♥立♥存在
Time and space don’t exist independently of each other.
真的?
Isn’t that so?
宇宙也是
Or the universe.
真的
Really?
宇宙中的物质和能量
Matter and energy in the universe.
展开或闭合的时空
Open or stop spacetime.
扭曲的时空
Spacetime is curved.

Hello?
不知道,我们,我们还不知道
No, no, We, we don’t know.
还有很多检查要做,嗯, 好的 再见
Lots of tests. Yes, yes, goodbye.
谁的电♥话♥?
Who was it?
派对上那个女孩
The girl from the party.
从这张关于你亡的X光片可以看出
The X-ray of your spine with the dying
没有任何异物压♥迫♥你的脊髓
shows you don’t have anything pressing on your spinal cord.
那是好事 对吗
That’s good, isn’t it?
这只是一个排查的过程
It’s a process of elimination.
你们是一个团队
You’re a team.
我是说二位今晚要共同领♥取♥诺贝尔奖
I mean you are both getting the Nobel Prize this evening.
我推荐他这个工作的
I put him up for the job.
他们却不肯让我参加面试
And they wouldn’t even let me in on the interview.
所以我就在周围闲晃
So I loitered around.
等鲍勃和面试委员会的人一起出来
When Bob and the interview committee came out,
互相握手,并且
doing their hand shakes and
说着”感谢您的光临 请静候佳音”
“Thank you for coming and I will let you know”,
我就走上前去
I moved in.
我说”你们同意用他了吧,是吗?
“You gave him the job, right?
你们同意用鲍勃了吧,是不是?!”
You gave Bob the job, didn’t you?”
当时气氛真的很尴尬
It was this kind of embarrassed pause.
我就直截了当地说
So I told them straight,
“我和鲍勃要从这条走廊这么走出去
“Bob and I are going to walk down the corridor right here,
走出那扇门
and right out that door, right there.
鲍勃就是为此而生的
And if you don’t want Bob to have the job
你们要是不给他这工作
that he was born to do,
请在我们穿过那扇门之前就告诉我们”
then you call up before we go through that door.”
那是我人生最长的一段路
Longest walk in my life.
62步
62 paces.
我们没有回头
And we never looked back.
他们不告诉我他们诊断出的结果
They won’t tell me what they’re thinking.
医生不会说的
Doctors don’t.
他们自己还没搞明白呢
They don’t know themselves yet.
我就是个医生 伊泽贝尔
I’m a doctor, Isobel,
我知道医生的潜规则
I know what they are like.
你是热带病专家 老爸
You’re a tropical disease expert, dad.
我了解医生
I know doctors.
怎么了 伊泽贝尔
What? Isobel?
没怎么
Nothing.
我会给你安排个单独病房♥
I will arrange for you to have a private room.
不 . 我要像其他人一样待在这
No. I will stay in the ward like everyone else.
你向牛津或剑桥提出申请了吗
So have you applied for Oxford or Cambridge?
他们不要我, 我在考虑威斯菲尔德
They don’t want me, I was thinking of Westfield.
是一所老牌女校
It’s an old lady’s college.
它的规模,呃.我希望它是这样的,还有,还有,它很…
On the model. I suppose, and, and, It’s quite…
凑字 我们来凑字玩造句吧?
Scrabble. Let’s play scrabble.
白血病
Leukemia.
他才十二岁
He’s twelve.
美极了
It was beautiful.
我一出林子,它就立在我面前
I came out of the woods and there was,
一件完美的设备
a perfect piece of equipment.
它的天线
The antenna.
还有个像留声机喇叭一样的大喇叭立在边上
A great big horn like a gramaphone horn lying on the side.
有一座房♥子那么大
The size of a house.
就在纽约市外20英里的一座山顶
In the middle of a field, on a hill,
的一块平地中间
20 miles out New York City,
记录下这些高频噪音(hiss还有嘶嘶声的意思)
picking up the hiss.
指向星空
Pointing at the stars.
然后记录高频噪音
And picking up the hiss.
我第一次看见这大喇叭的时候 你猜怎么
And then the first time I saw the horn, you know what?
它们就从里面飞出来了
They flew right out of her.

Who?
鸽子们
The pigeons.
那个(直径)二十英尺的大喇叭里住了一群鸽子
The twenty-foot horn, has a couple of pigeons living inside it.
-鸽子窝 -一大群!
– Pigeons? – Pigeons!
这个(直径)二十英尺的大喇叭是做什么的
What is it for the twenty-foot horn?
除了给鸽子当巢之外
Apart from pigeon nesting.
我们想测量噪音
We wanted to measure the noise,
来自银河系外的噪音
from the outer of the range of the Milky Way.
阿诺建了个冷态荷载
Arno built a cold load.
那是什么
What’s that?
5英制加仑的液态氮
5 imperial gallons of the liquid helium.
你知道那是多少氮气吗
You know how much helium that is?
那可真是不少呢
That’s a hell of quantity helium.
给了你一个十分精准的参照物
Gives you unbelievable accurate reference
这样你就能衡量你收到的噪音了
against which you can measure the noise you receive.
阿诺做事很精确 他做这类东西是最好的
Arno was very precise. He make these things better than anyone.
大概是因为我是德裔的吧
Maybe it’s the German in me.
你是德国人
You’re German?
做了五六年的德国人 脾气也像德国人
First six years in my life and a big chunk of my temper.
鲍勃做了个很棒的交换器
Bob made a great switch.
两个相连的接收器
Two connected receiver
一个连天线 一个连冷态荷载参照物
alternatively to the antenna and cold load reference.
你是在德国出生的吗
Were you born in Germany?
哪年生的 二十世纪40年代吗
When? The 1940s?
不 是30年代
No. 1930s.
噪音就是热量 热量越高 噪音强度越强
Noise is heat. The higher the heat, the more intense the noise.
你们或许想了解我们接受到的噪音是怎样.
You may want to ask that we get noise.
我们接收到很多噪音 那意味着有很多热量
We got a lot noise, which means a lot of heat.
不在银河系应该放出的热量范围之内
Far more than the Milky Way should have given us.
打那以后 这就成了我们的工作

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!