而且拒绝来这里
he’ll refuse to come down here.
凯丽小姐 他可能会暴跳如雷
Look, Miss Kelly, he’s probably fit to be tied,
但他是个男人 对吧
but he’s a man, isn’t he?
我想是吧 不然我也不会叫他先生
I guess so. His name is “Mister.”
那就你像平常那样勾搭他吧
Then go into your routine.
用你的媚眼 丰姿 甜言蜜语
You know, the eyes, the swish, the works!
虽然我没什么兴趣 但有人喜欢
I’m immune to it, but I’ve seen it work on some people,
连这里的病人都爱你
some of the patients out here.
好了 快去带他下来 凯丽
Now you get him down here, Kelly,
说不定他还想看你跳脱衣舞呢
if you have to do a striptease.
查姆利医生 我们犯了一个严重的错误
Dr. Chumley, I’m afraid there’s been a serious error.
桑德森医生 这间医院是不允许出错的
Dr. Sanderson, we don’t permit errors in this institution.
多德先生
Mr. Dowd?
埃尔伍德·P. 来 这是我的名片
Elwood P. Here, let me give you one of my cards.
多德先生 我叫凯丽
Mr. Dowd, I’m Miss Kelly.
是楼下的接待人员
I’m at the reception desk downstairs.
很高兴认识你 凯丽小姐
I’m happy to know you, Miss Kelly.
谢谢 多德先生
Thank you, Mr. Dowd.
我希望你能和我一起到楼下去
I was wondering if you would come downstairs with me,
拜托了 到桑德森医生的办公室
please, to Dr. Sanderson’s office.
他想向你解释这里的情况
There’s something he’d like to explain to you.
我很乐意 凯丽小姐
I’d be glad to, Miss Kelly.
不过刚才有另一位迷人的女士
But there was another very charming girl in here a minute ago,
让我在这里等她
and she asked me to wait.
她说要洗澡什么的
She said something about a bath.
我不想扫她的兴
I don’t like to disappoint her.
她坚持要洗
She seemed to have her heart set on it.
那是邓菲小姐 不要介意 多德先生
That was Miss Dunphy. It’s quite all right, Mr. Dowd.
桑德森先生会为你解释一切
Dr. Sanderson will explain everything…
我来了
Here we are.
多德先生 你怎么还没脱衣服
Mr. Dowd, you haven’t peeled yet.
我很抱歉 邓菲小姐
And I regret this, Miss Dunphy,
但是凯丽小姐希望我跟她走
but Miss Kelly here seems to want me to go with her.
凯丽小姐 你认识邓菲小姐吧
Miss Kelly, you’ve met Miss Dunphy?
当然认识
Yes, of course.
我希望你们能和谐相处
I want both of you to meet a very dear…
出了点差错 你别管这里了
It seems there’s been a mistake. Just forget everything.
我有个建议
I have a suggestion.
要不我先按她说的做 然后再跟你走
Why don’t I do what she wants and then go with you?
不必如此 多德先生
That won’t be necessary, Mr. Dowd.
那好吧 再见 亲爱的
All right. Goodbye, my dear.
你也该泡个澡了
You could’ve had a bath, too.
我已经泡过澡了
I’ve already had a bath.
凯丽小姐 我不是在说你 我是说…
Oh, Miss Kelly, I wasn’t speaking to you. I was speaking to my…
多德先生 早上上班前我都会先洗澡
Mr. Dowd, I take a bath every morning just before I go on duty.
这真是个好习惯
It’s always such a pleasant way to start the day.
你先走
After you.
多德先生
Mr. Dowd?
我是埃尔伍德·P.
Elwood P.
来 这是我的名片
Here, let me give you one of my cards.
我是莱曼·桑德森医生
I am Dr. Lyman Sanderson,
查姆利医生的助手
Dr. Chumley’s assistant out here. And I…
你好 很高兴认识你 医生
Good for you. Happy to know you, Doctor.
是我让凯丽小姐将你请下来的
I asked Miss Kelly to bring you down here…
她很迷人吧
Isn’t she lovely? Isn’t she…
你很迷人 亲爱的
You’re very lovely, my dear.
谢谢 多德先生 有的人可不这么想
Why, thank you, Mr. Dowd. Some people don’t seem to think so.
那是他们眼瞎
Well, some people are blind.
我早注意到有些人眼光不怎么样
That’s very often brought to my attention.
我想向你们二位
And now I’d like both of you
介绍一下我的好朋友…
to meet a very dear friend of mine…
请来这边坐
Now why don’t we sit down?
请坐吧 多德先生
Won’t you have a chair, Mr. Dowd?
好 谢谢
Oh, thank you very much.
-请坐 -凯丽小姐也请
– Please, sit down. – After Miss Kelly.
我就不用了 多德先生
No, really, Mr. Dowd. I couldn’t.
我要时常走动的
I’m in and out all the time.
你请坐吧
But you sit down, please.
-你先请 -坐下 凯丽
– After you. – Sit down, Kelly!
需要我们的帮助吗 多德先生
Anything we can do for you, Mr. Dowd?
你想帮我什么
What did you have in mind?
椅子坐着舒服吗
Is your chair comfortable?
这椅子舒服吗 多德先生
Is the chair quite comfortable, Mr. Dowd?
挺好的 你要试试吗
Yes. Would you care to try it?
不用了 谢谢 来根烟吗
No, no, thank you. How about a cigarette?
-不用了 -对 来根烟
– No, thank you. – Yes, a cigarette…
多德先生 现在你手上有我们的把柄
Mr. Dowd, you have us at a disadvantage here.
你我都很清楚
Now you know it and we know it,
所以我们打开窗子说亮话吧
so let’s lay our cards on the table.
听起来很有意思 医生
That certainly appeals to me, Doctor.
既然感兴趣 就请听我说下去
Best thing in the long run.
我们终究都只是人类
People are people no matter where you go.
说得有道理
That is very often the case.
人无完人 人类难免会犯错
And being human, are therefore liable to make mistakes.
凯丽小姐和我今天下午犯了个错误
Miss Kelly and I, we’ve made a mistake here this afternoon
我们想向你解释清楚
and we’d like to explain it to you.
事实上…
You see, the truth is…
你和凯丽小姐
You and Miss Kelly here?
是的
Yes.
今天下午
Out here this afternoon?
是的 多德先生
Yes, Mr. Dowd.
我们希望你能理解
We hope you’ll understand.
没问题 没问题
Oh, yes, yes.
这种事往往是
These things are often the basis
建立一段长久又美好的友情的基础
of a very long, warm friendship.
这不是桑德森医生的错 多德先生 都怪我
It wasn’t Dr. Sanderson’s fault, Mr. Dowd. It was mine.
不 责任全在我
Oh, no, the responsibility is all mine.
虽然你一副老古董的做派 但我喜欢
Your attitude may be old-fashioned, Doctor, but I like it,
我非常喜欢你 医生
like it very much.
当然 如果是我先见你姐姐
Of course, if I had seen your sister first,
这种事是决不会发生的
this would’ve been an entirely different story.
你倒让我吃了一惊
Now there you surprise me.
我确实很关心维塔
I think the world and all of Veta,
但我觉得她有自己的生活
but I had supposed she’d seen her day.
你不必太过苛责她 多德先生
You mustn’t attach too much blame to her, Mr. Dowd.
她的病情很严重
You see, she’s a very sick woman.
她来这里时坚称你需要治疗
Why, she came in here insisting that you needed treatment.
这太荒谬了
That’s perfectly ridiculous.
维塔不用担心我 我挺好的
Veta shouldn’t be upset about me. I get along fine.
她变得非常狂躁
She was extremely upset and plunged right away
还激动地指责你酗酒
into a heated tirade about your drinking.
维塔确实会这样
That was Veta.
我告诉过维塔不用担心 我会注意
I tell Veta not to worry about that. I’ll take care of that.
确实 我想你只是偶尔小酌几杯
Exactly. I suppose that you take a drink
和大多数人一样
now and then, like the rest of us.
没错 是这样 医生
Yes. Yes, I do, Doctor.
其实我现在就想来一杯
As a matter of fact, I’d like one right now.
其实我也想
As a matter of fact, so would I.
不过她把这件事描述得太过夸张
But her reaction to the whole matter was entirely too intense.
她喝酒吗 多德先生
Does she drink, Mr. Dowd?
不 不
Oh, no. Oh, no.
我觉得维塔从不沾酒 医生
No, I don’t think Veta’s ever taken a drink, Doctor.
那我要让你大吃一惊了
I am going to surprise you.
我认为她喝酒 而且是经常性的
I think she has and does constantly.
她…真的吗
She… Is that so?
我确实很震惊
Well, I certainly am surprised at that.
但我并不是只凭她酗酒就下诊断的
But her alcoholism isn’t the basis for my diagnosis.
真正让我确诊的是
It was when she became so emotional
她疯狂地跟我讲一只大白兔哈维的事
about this big white rabbit, Harvey.
对 哈维 就是这个名字
Yes, I believe she called him Harvey.