不论如何 你一定
But at all events, I want you
不能让他回家
to prevent him from returning to his house.
他姐姐在组织聚会呢 他回去只会搅局
His sister is giving a party. He wouldn’t fit in.
这个人叫做埃尔伍德·P·多德
His name is Elwood P. Dowd.
埃尔伍德·多德 您另请高明吧 法官先生
Elwood Dowd, sir! Couldn’t you get someone else, Judge?
克莱格 或者贝克也行 他们块头都比我大
Kratke, maybe, or Beck? They’re bigger than I am.
你个子小好隐蔽
You’ll be able to hide better.
快去吧 整个下午都给我缠着他
Hurry now and stick with him all afternoon.
快去 小子
Quickly, boy. Quickly.
好的 先生
Okay, sir.
电梯 等下
Oh, elevator!
请进
Come in.
是谁 有人吗
Yes? Who is it?
医生马上就给你看病
The doctor will see you in a minute.
下午好 多德先生
Good afternoon, Mr. Dowd.
别来无恙
How do you do?
过马路可得小心点
We must be more careful.
你先请
After you.
别来无恙 多德先生
How do, Mr. Dowd?
下午好 克拉格先生
Afternoon, Mr. Cracker.
借过
Excuse me.
他还好吗
How is he?
还行 你呢
Oh, he’s just fine, fine. How are you?
挺不错
Oh, can’t complain.
那就好
That’s good.
坐这儿行吗 确定
Is this all right? You sure? Hmm?
好吧 帮你腾个座儿
All right. Give you a hand there.
别滑倒了 坐这儿
Whoop! Don’t slip! There.
你确定坐这里吗
Now, you sure this is all right?
要不咱们弄个卡座吧
You wouldn’t rather sit in a booth?
-好吧 -他想要个卡座吗 多德先生
– All right. – Would he prefer a booth, Mr. Dowd?
多谢 克拉格先生 他还是想坐吧台这边
Thank you, Mr. Cracker. He seems to prefer the bar today.
下午好 先生
Good afternoon to you, sir.
米格斯先生回来了
Mr. Meegles is back.
你…我过去一会儿
You… Excuse me a minute.
米格斯先生 好久不见 我们都很想你
Mr. Meegles, well, this is a pleasure. We’ve missed you.
-近来如何 -挺好的
– How are you, Mr. Dowd? – Fine.
他怎么样
And how is he?
他很好 谢谢关心
Oh, he’s splendid, thank you. Splendid.
他说今天下午要来这里转转
He decided he wanted to come over here this afternoon,
所以我们就来了
so here we are.
请坐
Sit down.
谢谢 你外出有一阵了吧
Oh, thank you. You’ve been away.
90天了
For 90 days.
给政♥府♥干活儿 造车牌呢
Been doing a job for the state. Making license plates.
真的啊 有意思吗
Oh, is that so? Interesting work?
也就凑合着干
I can take it or leave it alone.
嗯
I see.
去年我还接了一个修路的活儿
I did a job for them last year, too, helping them build a road.
米格斯先生 我们得给你接接风
Oh. Mr. Meegles, we’ll just have to do something about your return.
今晚来我家吃饭怎么样
Would you like to come to my house for dinner tonight?
谢谢你 多德先生 但今晚实在没空
Thanks, Mr. Dowd, but I couldn’t make it tonight.
明晚呢 明晚可以吗
Tomorrow night? Would that suit you?
行
Yes, yes.
但上次我去的时候
But, you know, the last time I was there,
似乎你姐姐因为我进过监狱
I kind of got the impression your sister held it against me
而不大待见我呢
’cause I did a little time.
不 米格斯先生 我姐姐十分好客
Oh, no, Mr. Meegles. My sister loves to entertain.
而且交友广泛
She’s very social, you know.
嗯 从报纸上就看得出来
Yes, I see by the papers.
每一♥期♥的社交专栏我都看
You know, I never miss the society column.
真的
You don’t?
是的 今天下午她就办了一场聚会呢
No. She’s giving a clambake this afternoon.
-今天下午 -是的
– This afternoon? – Yeah.
宴会 演出和下午茶 这里写的
“Reception, program and tea,” It says here,
诚邀各位”周三茶会”成员
“For the members of the Wednesday Afternoon Forum,”
为那个阔太太肖维涅办的
for that rich Mrs. Chauvenet.
对 应该是埃塞尔姑妈
Yeah, that’s Aunt Ethel. Yes.
-这是今天的报纸 -是的
– Is it today’s paper? – Yeah.
维塔可没跟我说过
Veta didn’t tell me anything about this.
肯定是忘了告诉我了
It must have slipped her mind.
那明晚七点见咯 米格斯先生
Well, I’ll see you tomorrow night at 7:00, Mr. Meegles, huh?
-谢谢 多德先生 -很高兴见到你
– Thanks, Mr. Dowd. – Very glad to have seen you.
-再见 -拜拜
– Goodbye. – Bye-bye.
哈维 我刚听说…
Harvey, I just found out…
要点什么吗 多德先生
Now, what can I do for you, Mr. Dowd?
你觉得呢
What did you have in mind?
你想喝什么
What’s your order?
两杯马提尼[鸡尾酒]
Two martinis.
哈维 维塔今天下午似乎要开派对
Harvey, it seems that Veta is having a party this afternoon.
我觉得…什么 你已经知道了
And I… Hmm? Oh, you knew?
我只是觉得
Well, I just thought that
我们要是不去的话也太不尊重她了
she might be offended if we weren’t there.
毕竟她是我唯一的姐姐 而且…
After all, she’s the only sister I have and I…
怎么
How’s that?
估计这辈子也只有她这一个姐姐了
And the only one I’m ever likely to have.
是的 你说得对
Yes, you’re absolutely right.
我们得抓紧时间了
We’d better hurry.
一共五角钱
That’ll be four bits.
让吧台那头的哥们儿来付吧
The one at the end will pay for it.
回来
Come back here…
他很高兴请客的
He’d be delighted.
干杯吧
Well, let’s drink up.
我的挚爱
My love
将带我在空中翱翔
Will take me flying to the sky
骑着金翅的飞马
On a steed with golden wings
我们将远走高飞
And then we’ll ride away
划过永恒皎洁的月光
Forever high on the moon
穿过星辰 飞上云端
On a star, on a cloud
我将沉醉在他的怀中
In his arms, I will stay
骑在金翅的飞马上
Hop, hop, hop, hop hippity hop on a golden steed
我只需要一份真爱
Hop, hop, hop, hop hippity hop love is all I need
骑在金翅的飞马上
Hop, hop, hop, hop hippity hop on a golden steed
我只需要一份真爱
Hop, hop, hop, hop hippity hop love is all I need
妈妈
Mother.
肖维涅太太到了
Mrs. Chauvenet is here.
肖维涅太太到了
Mrs. Chauvenet is here?
埃塞尔姑妈
Aunt Ethel!
维塔·路易丝·西蒙斯 还以为你死了呢
Veta Louise Simmons, I thought you were dead.
不 我获得生龙活虎呢 谢谢
Oh, no. No, I’m very much alive, thank you.
这是我女儿默多·梅
And this is my daughter Myrtle Mae.
亲爱的 你和你祖母简直是一个模子出来的
My dear, you’re your grandmother all over again.
她的葬礼举♥行♥时我也在场
I was at her funeral.
埃尔伍德哪儿去了
And now, where is Elwood?
埃尔伍德今天下午应该回不来了
Well, Elwood couldn’t be home this afternoon.
这是图克斯伯里小姐在唱呢
That’s Miss Tewksbury singing.
马上就唱完了
She’ll be through in a minute.
真遗憾 我今天就是来看他的
Oh, shame on him. That was the main reason I came.
我想见见埃尔伍德
I want to see Elwood.
维塔 我已经好几年没见着他了
Do you realize, Veta, I haven’t seen Elwood in years?
那晚我还跟我丈夫说…
I was saying to Mr. Chauvenet just the other…
你要干什么 亲爱的
What do you want, my dear?
那晚我跟他说
Just the other night,
你说这埃尔伍德·多德是怎么了
“What on earth do you think happened to Elwood Dowd?
他都没再来参加耶鲁的校友舞会了
“He never comes to the Yale alumni dances anymore.
这几年也没见他来俱乐部和马展什么的
“I haven’t seen him at the club or at the horse show in years.”
埃尔伍德最近有社交活动吗
Does Elwood see anybody these days?
是的 埃塞尔姑妈 他和别人来往呢
Oh, yes, Aunt Ethel, Elwood sees somebody.
是的 埃塞尔姑妈
Yes, Aunt Ethel, he does.
埃尔伍德过得开心吗 维塔·路易丝
Well, is Elwood happy, Veta Louise?