Treasury secretary, Washington’s the president
每一项新措 都开创先河
Every American experiment sets a precedent
别太得意 对手马上就来
Not so fast, someone came along to resist him
跟他对干 促成两党治国
Pissed him off until we had a two-party system
他没登场 你们还没见过
You haven’t met him yet, you haven’t had the chance
人在法国 大使叱咤风云
‘Cause he’s been kickin’ ass as the ambassador to France
总得回来 维护美国承诺
But someone’s gotta keep the American promise
快来见见托马斯 托马斯
You simply must meet Thomas, Thomas!
托马斯·杰斐逊回家了
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home!
托马斯·杰斐逊回家了
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home!
托马斯·杰斐逊回家了
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home!
托马斯·杰斐逊回家了
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home
托马斯·杰斐逊回家了
Thomas Jefferson’s coming home
天呐 他在巴黎待了好久
Lord, he’s been off in Paris for so long
法国紧随我们革命的步伐
France is following us to revolution
曾经的局面已被打破
There is no more status quo
但太阳照常升起 世界仍在运转
But the sun comes up, and the world still spins
我帮拉法耶特起草了一份宣言
I helped Lafayette draft a declaration
然后我说 “我得走了
Then I said, “I gotta go
得回蒙蒂塞洛”
Gotta be in Monticello”
开展祖国的大业
Now the work at home begins
那么我错过了什么
So what did I miss?
我错过了什么
What did I miss?
弗吉尼亚 亲爱的家乡 我要吻你
Virginia, my home sweet home, I wanna give you a kiss
我在巴黎坐拥各色美女
I’ve been in Paris meeting lots of different ladies
基本上错过了八十年代末期
I guess I basically missed the late ’80s
我游历大千世界 回到这里
I traveled the wide, wide world and came back to this
我桌上有封总统来信
There’s a letter on my desk from the president
行李都还没卸下
Haven’t even put my bag down yet
萨莉 乖宝贝 替我拆信好吗
Sally, be a lamb, darlin’. Won’tcha open it?
萨莉·海明斯从十几岁时就成为杰佛逊的情妇
系杰佛逊的岳父约翰·威勒斯与黑奴所生
和杰佛逊的妻子玛莎·威勒斯同父异母
与杰佛逊育有至少六个孩子
但这些子嗣直到杰佛逊死后才获得自♥由♥
萨莉终生没有脱离奴役
信上说总统正在组建内阁
It says the president’s assembling a cabinet
将会任命我为国务卿
And that I am to be the secretary of state
妙极 我已获参议院批准
Great. And that I’m already Senate-approved
我刚到家就要赶往纽约
I just got home and now I’m headed up to New York
赶往纽约 赶往纽约
Headin’ to New York! Headin’ to New York!
看着起伏的田野
Lookin’ at the rolling fields
真不敢相信我们已获自♥由♥
I can’t believe that we are free
杰斐逊一生中大量蓄奴
准备好面对纽约
Ready to face whatever’s
等待着我的一切
awaiting me in NYC
当我踏入纽约 等待我的是谁
But who’s waitin’ for me when I step in the place?
我的朋友 詹姆斯·麦迪逊
My friend, James Madison
他面红耳赤
Red in the face
握住我的手臂 我问”近来如何”
he grabs my arm and I respond, “What’s goin’ on?”
托马斯 我们正处于一场斗争
Thomas, we are engaged in a battle
事关国家精神
for our nation’s very soul
你能帮我们摆脱泥潭吗
Can you get us out of the mess we’re in?
汉密尔顿的新财政方案
Hamilton’s new financial plan is nothing less
汉密尔顿意图建立美国中♥央♥银行
旨在让联邦政♥府♥掌控财政
全然就是政♥府♥管制
than government control
我一直单枪匹马为南方抗争
I’ve been fighting for the South alone
你去哪了
Where have you been?
法国 怎么
France. What?
我们必须赢
We have to win.
我错过了什么
What did I miss?
我错过了什么
What did I miss?
我回家来就为这个
I’ve come home to this?
一头扎入政♥治♥深渊
Headfirst into a political abyss
一头扎入深渊
Headfirst into the abyss
今天首次参加内阁会议
I have my first cabinet meeting today
我得想想该说什么
I guess I better think of something to say
我已启程 定要弄个水落石出
I’m already on my way. Let’s get to the bottom of this
我错过了什么
What did I miss?
杰斐逊先生 欢迎回家
Mr. Jefferson, welcome home
杰斐逊先生 我是亚历山大·汉密尔顿
Mr. Jefferson? Alexander Hamilton
杰斐逊先生 欢迎回家
Mr. Jefferson, welcome home
杰斐逊先生 欢迎回家 先生
Mr. Jefferson, welcome home, sir
你在巴黎
You’ve been off in Paris
待了好久
For so long!
那么我错过了什么
So what did I miss?
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen,
你们从世界各地远道而来
you could’ve been anywhere in the world tonight,
与我们相聚纽约市
but you’re here with us in New York City.
准备好参加内阁会议了吗
Are you ready for a cabinet meeting?
本次的议题是
The issue on the table:
汉密尔顿部长的提案
Secretary Hamilton’s plan to
承担州债 建立国家银行
assume state debt and establish a national bank.
杰斐逊国务卿 请您发言
Secretary Jefferson, you have the floor, sir.
“生命权 自♥由♥权和追求幸福的权利”
“Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness”
出自《独♥立♥宣言》
我们曾为理想战斗 不该退让将就
We fought for these ideals, we shouldn’t settle for less
这些智言慧语 有为之士常挂嘴边
These are wise words, enterprising men quote ’em
别故作惊讶 这些都出自我笔下
Don’t act surprised, you guys, ’cause I wrote ’em
但汉密尔顿选择疏忽
But Hamilton forgets
他计划让政♥府♥承担州债
His plan would have the government assume states’ debts
我们打个赌 最后谁受益
Now, place your bets as to who that benefits
正是财政部长 汉密尔顿本人
The very seat of government where Hamilton sits
-不对 -既然是事实 就老实承认
– Not true! – Ooh, if the shoe fits, wear it
纽约欠债 凭什么让弗吉尼亚承担
If New York’s in debt, why should Virginia bear it?
我们已无债一身轻
Our debts are paid, I’m afraid
别看南方富足无虞 就给我们加税
Don’t tax the South ’cause we got it made in the shade
弗吉尼亚人开垦土地 创造价值
In Virginia, we plant seeds in the ground, we create
你只是想挪用我们的资产
You just wanna move our money around
你这财政计划厚颜无♥耻♥
This financial plan is an outrageous demand
还长篇大论 谁都看不懂
And it’s too many damn pages for any man to understand
请和我守护这片自♥由♥土地
Stand with me in the land of the free
向天祈祷 永远别让汉密尔顿参选
Pray to God we never see Hamilton’s candidacy
英国向我们征茶税 我们奋起反抗
Look, when Britain taxed our tea, we got frisky
要是你敢征酒税 想想后果会如何
Imagine what gon’ happen when you try to tax our whiskey
谢谢 杰斐逊国务卿
Thank you, Secretary Jefferson.
汉密尔顿部长 请回应
Secretary Hamilton, your response.
托马斯 算你舌灿莲花
Thomas, that was a real nice declaration
欢迎回到现实 我们不是在过家家
Welcome to the present, we’re running a real nation
你要加入我们 还是归隐田园
Would you like to join us, or stay mellow
回老家蒙蒂塞洛歌♥舞升平
Doin’ whatever the hell it is you do in Monticello?
如果我们承担债务 联邦将会获得
If we assume the debts, the Union gets
财政刺♥激♥ 新的信贷额度
A new line of credit, a financial diuretic
你是揣着明白装糊涂
How do you not get it?
只有大胆争先 联邦才会强大
If we’re aggressive and competitive, the Union gets a boost
你宁愿一瓢冷水泼下
You’d rather give it a sedative?
奴隶主大谈公民权利
A civics lesson from a slaver
邻居 你无债一身轻 靠的是免费劳力
Hey, neighbor, your debts are paid ’cause you don’t pay for labor
“南方人开垦土地 创造价值”
“We plant seeds in the South, we create”
大话不要停 地里是谁耕作的身影
Yeah, keep ranting, we know who’s really doing the planting
还有一事 启蒙时代先生
And another thing, Mr. Age of Enlightenment
启蒙时代是指十七至十八世纪
欧洲地区发生的一场知识及文化运动
你都没参战 少跟我说教
Don’t lecture me about the war you didn’t fight in it
你以为我怕你吗 我们差点死在战壕里
You think I’m frightened of you, man? We almost died in a trench
你却跟法国佬打得火热
While you were off getting high with the French
托马斯·杰斐逊 总统问什么都犹豫不决
Thomas Jefferson, always hesitant with the President
寡言少语 没一个计划能得他首肯
Reticent, there isn’t a plan he hasn’t jettisoned
麦迪逊 你个疯子 别忘吃药
Madison, you mad as a hatter, son, take your medicine
你们的状态比国家债务还要不堪
Damn, you’re in worse shape than the national debt is in
两个百无一用的废物
Sittin’ there useless as two shits
转个身 撅起屁♥股♥ 让我擦擦鞋底
Hey, turn around, bend over, I’ll show you where my shoe fits
打断一下
Excuse me.
麦迪逊 杰斐逊 出去走走
Madison, Jefferson, take a walk.
汉密尔顿 你也是
Hamilton, take a walk.
稍事休息 再来开会