and sometimes you see people on television, they say:
现在我要唱一首杰夫-巴克利的歌♥。
Now I’m going to sing a song by Jeff Buckley.
而那是 “哈利路亚”。
And it’s “Hallelujah.”
嗨,我是Mick Grondahl。我是Jeff Buckley。
Hi, I’m Mick Grondahl.And I’m Jeff Buckley.
你正在收看MTV的《120分钟》。
And you’re watching 120 Minuteson MTV.
采访者: 杰夫-巴克利和 “哈利路亚”
INTERVIEWER: Jeff Buckley and “Hallelujah”
可能不会走到一起
probably wouldn’t have come together
都是因为圣安教堂。
were it not for St. Ann’s.
这是怎么发生的?
How did that happen?
哦,呵呵。
Oh, heh.
偶然。
By accident.
你知道,”圣安的艺术 ”
You know, “Arts at St. Ann’s”
是一个音乐剧系列
was a music theater series
在这个重要的地标性教堂。
in this important landmark church.
我们刚开始组织这些多艺术家的表演
And we were just starting to do these multi-artist shows
去了解某人的作品。
that investigated somebody’s body of work.
而哈尔-威尔纳和我
And Hal Willner and I
正在做这个向Tim Buckley致敬的节目。
were doing this homage to Tim Buckley.
威尔纳:杰宁和我联♥系♥了
WILLNER: Janine and I got in touch
与Tim Buckley的经理Herb Cohen取得联♥系♥。
with Tim Buckley’s manager, Herb Cohen.
他说,”你知道他有一个儿子。”
He said, “You know he has a son.”
也可能是谁说,”他有一个儿子。” 我就问:”他好吗?”
Or someone said, “He has a son.” I went, “Is he good?”
他说,”他比他父亲好。”
He went, “He’s better than his father.”
我一直在玩音乐。
I’ve always played music,
我只是从来没想投身音乐行业。
I just have never pursued the music business.
我从未给任何人送过试听磁带,也没有推销过自己
I never sent a tape to anyone or shopped myself.
然后,圣安教堂的那些美丽的人们,
And then the beautiful people at St. Ann’s,
他们邀请我去。
they asked me to come.
当他那天走进教堂时。
WILLNER: And when he walked into the church that day,
很明显,他是那种你在任何情况下
he was obviously the type that you could put
都可以靠得住的人
in any situation to do anything.
你能看出来。那是一种本能的东西。
You could just tell. It’s just an instinctual thing,
听他唱三个音符,看他弹吉他。
hearing him sing three notes, watching him play guitar,
与他谈论他喜欢的不同音乐。
talking to him about the different music he liked.
他是一个神奇的人。
He was a magic man.
费尔德曼:然后在最后。
FELDMAN: And then at the very end,
杰夫的吉他弦断了。
Jeff’s guitar string broke.
所以他以无伴奏方式唱了起来。
So he sang it a cappella.
你可以看到他的声音的全貌
And you could see the full range of his voice.
有些东西被释放出来了,你知道。
NICHOLS: Something had been unleashed, you know.
所以他留下来了。
So he stuck around.
采访者: 可以听到你在Sin-é的现场表演。
INTERVIEWER: You can be heard performing live at the Sin-é.
巴克利:哦,是的。
BUCKLEY: Oh, yeah.
他是来找演出的。
DOYLE: He came in looking for a gig.
事情发展得非常快。
And things developed very quickly.
我相信是哈尔-威尔纳。
I believe it was Hal Willner,
事实上,是哈尔-威尔纳让他来的。
actually, told him to come in.
威尔纳:他开始每周演奏一次。
WILLNER: He started playing once a week.
那是他的工作室。
That was his workshop.
他只是演奏他正在学习的任何歌♥曲。
And he would just play whatever songs he was learning.
他并没有演奏任何原创歌♥曲。
He wasn’t playing any originals.
我想挑选我最喜欢的艺术家
BUCKLEY: I figured to pick my favorite artists
和那些能打动很多人的艺术家,或者只是打动我的艺术家。
and artists that move a lot of people, or just move me.
杰夫经常为我演奏。
FELDMAN: Jeff would play music for me a lot,
对我来说,与他分享 “哈利路亚 ”
and it was a very natural thing
是一件自然而然的事情
for me to share “Hallelujah” with him
因为我们一直在合作
because we’d been doing projects
在圣安教堂和约翰-凯尔一起合作
at St. Ann’s with John Cale.
我听过约翰版的 “哈利路亚 ”
And I had heard John’s version of “Hallelujah,”
我很喜欢。
which I loved.
克莱:”哈利路亚……
CALE: ♪ Hallelujah… ♪
在那里的某处,我为他演奏了约翰的歌♥。
And somewhere in there, I played John’s song for him.
“哈利路亚”是Leonard Cohen的歌♥。
Hallelujah is a Leonard Cohen song.
我选的是约翰-凯尔的版本。
I do the John Cale version.
我是在Sin-é的演出前的一个晚上刚学会的。
I just learned it one night before a gig at Sin-é.
这是一首伟大的歌♥。
It’s a great song.
我希望这是我写的。
I wish I wrote it.
多伊尔:我不知道这首歌♥。
DOYLE: I didn’t know the song.
他唱的时候我就知道了。
I knew it when he sang it.
那是我对它的介绍。
That was my introduction to it.
这首歌♥很精彩,每个人都知道它很精彩。
It was amazing, and everybody knew it was amazing.
每个人都知道他很了不起。
Everybody knew he was amazing.
所以他在路上了。
So he’s on his way.
所以我把A&R的人带来了。
So I brought the A&R guy,
Steve Berkowitz,到那里去看他。
Steve Berkowitz, down there to see him.
我第一次听说杰夫是……
The first time that I heard about Jeff was…
哈尔和我正走过圣马克广场。
Hal and I are walking across St. Mark’s Place.
他说,”巴克利的孩子有时在这里演奏”。
He said, “Buckley’s kid plays in here sometimes.”
他指着这个尘土飞扬的小俱乐部,叫Sin-é。
And he points at this little dusty club called Sin-é.
然后,嗯,我们向窗口看去,他就在那里。
And, um, we looked in the window and there he was.
在大概一两首歌♥之后,我就抓住了哈尔的胳膊。
After, like, one or two songs, I just grabbed Hal by the arm.
我听到的东西是我想的那样的吗?
Am I hearing everything I think I’m hearing?
然后他说,”是的,你是。”
And he goes, “Yeah, you are.”
哈利路亚,它是如此的情绪化和精神化
BERKOWITZ: “Hallelujah,” which is so emotional and spiritual
而且对感受和感知如此开放…
and so open to feeling and interpretation…
杰夫-巴克利的选择不错。
Good choice for Jeff Buckley.
对于莱昂纳德和那首歌♥来说,杰夫是一件乐器
Jeff was an instrument of Leonard’s and that song
把它变成了别的东西。
to turn it into something else.
他的吉他令人震惊。
His guitar playing on that is astounding.
人们总是谈论他的声音,这显然…
People always talk about his voice, which obviously…
但他的吉他演奏,就像,好的离谱。
But his guitar playing is, like, crazy good.
我认为,在音乐上,他把它变成了自己的作品。
FELDMAN: I think, musically, he made it his own.
莱昂纳德写了一首美丽的歌♥,
Leonard wrote a beautiful song,
然后杰夫让它听起来像一个天使在唱。
and then Jeff made it sound like an angel was singing it.
BERKOWITZ:Jeff并没有使它成为一首更好的歌♥。
BERKOWITZ: Jeff didn’t make it a better song.
它本来就是一首好歌♥。
It was already a great song.
你知道,莱昂纳德写了它。
You know, Leonard wrote it.
但他确实提高了这首歌♥的知名度
But he did elevate the plateau of visibility for that song
以一种更流行的方式向世界上的其他地方传播
to the rest of the world in a more popular vein
他的声音没那么严肃冷峻,不像那些黑暗、沉闷的
and maybe a less forbidding way than those dark, grumbly voices
那些来自老家伙的声音那样
of those older guys who had done it,
无论是凯尔、莱昂纳德还是迪伦。
whether it was Cale or Leonard or Dylan.
巴克利:”哈利路亚”。
BUCKLEY: ♪ Hallelujah ♪
我确实看到他经常以这首歌♥结束演出。
WASSER: I did see him end the show often with that song.
它是如此有效。
It was so effective.
这只是他自己。
It’s just him.
而且非常暴露。
And it’s very exposed.
他确实让它带有某种公然的性感,嗯。
And he did make it sort of overtly sexual, um,
我认为,这对他来说真的很有趣。
which, I think, was really fun for him to do.
问题是什么?
What was the question?
你知道他是否听说过……?
Do you know whether he’s heard… ?
我希望他永远不会听到。
I hope he never hears it.
为什么?
Why?
呃…
Uh…
我不知道。
I don’t know.
对我来说,这听起来更像是一个男孩唱的。
To me, it sounds more like a boy singing it.
杰夫没能活着看到 “哈利路亚 ”
Jeff didn’t live to see “Hallelujah”
这首歌♥后来的成就
becoming the song it did.
但在他死后,当然,
But after he died, of course,
很多人都来听他版本的这首歌♥。
a lot of people came to his version of that song.
肯尼迪:这首歌♥是由一位先生演奏的。
KENNEDY: This song was played by a gentleman that
他可能是对我影响最大的人之一
is probably one of my biggest influences
也许对其他很多人也是如此
and a number of other people’s as well.
我们所欠杰夫-巴克利先生良多。
We owe a great debt to Mr. Jeff Buckley.
问题是,如果他没有死,
The question is, if he hadn’t died,
这首歌♥会有现在的地位吗?
would that song have taken the place it did?
为了杰夫-巴克利。
To Jeff Buckley.
哈里路亚?
Hallelujah?
你是这么说的吗?
Is that what you’re saying?
好吧,管他呢。
All right, what the hell.
CARLILE: 对我来说,杰夫-巴克利的 “哈利路亚”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!