I see.
喂
Yeah?
是我
That’s me.
青年会
梅肯
警官 我接到了有关谢利医生的电♥话♥
Hey officer, I got a call about Dr. Shirley.
跟我来
Come on.
他的朋友来了
His friend’s here.
谢谢
Thank you.
老天爷 给他一条毛巾
Give the guy a towel, for Chrissakes?
-你是律师 -不
– You the lawyer? – No.
你该叫律师过来 我们要把这个同性恋关起来
Well you should call one. We’re taking your Auntie in.
为什么
For what?
经理抓到他和另一个人…
Manager caught him and the other guy…
能把他的手铐给取下来吗
Can’t we get the cuffs off him,
让他穿上裤子 我们再谈这件事
let him put his pants on? We talk about this?
我们当然可以 但我们不会这么做
Sure we could. But we ain’t.
听着 我们明早就离开了
OK, look, we’re out of here tomorrow morning…
你再也见不到我们了
you’ll never see us again.
总会有办法解决这个事的
There’s gotta be something due to work this out.
要不你让他走
What if, uh, you let him go,
我给点东西你们表示感谢
and I give you something to thank you?
-你在贿赂我们 -不 才不是 就是个礼物
– You bribing us? – No. Hell no. A gift.
-表达感谢 -哪种感谢
– A thank you. – What kind of thank you?
就像 向警队捐款 捐给你们
Like… A donation to the police force. To you guys.
随你们开口
Whatever you want.
你们喜欢西装吗
You like suits?
我今天穿过你们美丽的小镇
I was walking through your nice town today,
看到一个卖♥♥西装的服装店
and I seen a store that was selling suits.
高级西装
Primo suits.
要不我作为感谢 捐给你们一人一套西装
What if… as a thank you… A donation… I buy you each a suit?
你们好好打扮下 带妻子外出用晚餐
You get all dressed up, you take the wife out for dinner.
像你们工作这么卖♥♥力 这都是应得的
I mean… guys like you, you work hard, you deserve it.
他们不应该那样对我
They were wrong for the way they treated me,
而你还给他们钱
and you rewarded them.
我被雇佣来保证让你按时参加演出
I was hired to get you from one show to the next.
我怎么做跟你没关系
How I do it shouldn’t matter to you.
-我宁愿你没贿赂他们 -我别无选择
– I just wish you hadn’t paid them off. – I did what I had to do.
这事要是传出去 你的职业生涯就完了
You know, if this got out it would kill your career.
好了 托尼
OK. Tony.
我不需要你
I need you to stop it with
那套虚假的利他主义 也别来关心我的职业生涯
your phony altruism and concern for my career.
你这话什么意思
What the hell does that mean?
你当时只是在为自己考虑
You were only thinking about yourself back there
因为你知道如果我错过一场演出
because you know if I miss a show,
你的收入也会受到损失
it comes out of your pocket book.
我当然不想让你错过演出
Of course I don’t want you to miss a show,
你这个白眼狼
you ungrateful bastard!
你觉得我这么做只为了我自己
You think I’m doing this for my health?
今晚我帮了你大忙 表现出一点感激好吗
Tonight I saved your ass, so show a little appreciation… maybe?
况且 我都跟你说了 没我陪着哪都别去
Besides, I told you never to go nowhere without me!
我觉得你应该不会想陪我去干这种事
I assumed you would want this to be the exception.
孟菲斯
田纳西州
需要我在演出前去弄点化妆品什么的吗
Want me to get some makeup or something before the show?
不用了
No, I’m fine.
-你确定吗 瘀伤还挺明显的 -我说了不用
– You sure? Bruise kindda shows. – I said I’m fine.
好吧
Okay.
托尼·利普
Tony Lip?
多米尼克 麦格斯 你们在这儿做什么
Dominic, Mags. What the hell you guys doing here?
布鲁克林派我们来的 处理一些事情
Brooklyn sent us down… take care of a few things.
那个黑鬼是谁
我给他工作
怎么了 是打赌输了吗
你到底在做什么
你要工作就来找我 我给你找
事实上 这周我正需要你帮忙
你可以大赚一笔
一大笔钱
我已经在赚钱了
我可不信
这里不适合谈论这些
我正在工作呢
I am working here.
晚上八点整去酒吧找我
明白了吗
好的 过会儿见
别管那家伙了
抱歉医生 他们是我在纽约的朋友
Sorry Doc, they are some friends from New York.
-去拿谢利医生的行李 -好的
– Hey, you get Dr Shirley’s luggage? – Alright.
给他的房♥间打电♥话♥了 他一会儿就下来
Called his room. He’ll be down in a minute.
-医生 -你要去哪
– Hey Doc. – Where are you off to?
去楼下 喝几杯
Just going downstairs. To have a drink.
和你朋友 多米尼克吗
在你接受他的提议之前
我们得谈谈
托尼
Tony…
我认为你做得很出色
I think you’re doing a wonderful job.
所以
So…
我想正式给你
I would like to formally
巡回演出经理的职位
offer you the position of my road manager.
有了这个头衔…
With the title…
就有更多的责任
also comes more responsibility but
但薪水也更多
that also means a raise in pay.
不 不 谢了
No. No. No, thanks.
我们说好了的
I mean, we agreed on a
一周125美元 加上花销
hundred and twenty-five a week, plus expenses.
我们说好的 对吧
That’s our deal. Right?
我哪儿也不去 医生 我正打算下去告诉他们
I ain’t goin’ nowhere, Doc. I was just goin’ down to tell ’em.
托尼
Tony…
昨晚的事我很抱歉
I’m sorry about last night.
别放在心上
Don’t worry about it.
我这辈子都在纽约的夜♥总♥会♥工作
I been working nightclubs in the New York city my whole life…
我知道…
I know it’s…
这个世界很复杂
complicated world.
你从哪学会弹钢琴的
So, where’d you learn how to play like that?
我妈教的
My mother.
你妈妈 真的吗
Your mother… really?
她用一架旧的小钢琴教我
She taught me how to play in an old spinet.
从我学会走路就开始教
Soon as I could walk.
环游在佛罗里达走廊地区
Travel around the Florida Panhandle…
在教区和礼堂举♥行♥些小演出
put on my little shows in parishes and halls…
幸运的是有个人看到了我演奏
Fortunately a man who had seen me play
他安排我在列♥宁♥格勒音乐学院学习
arranged for me to study at the Leningrad Conservatory of Music.
我是那里接收的第一个黑人
I was the first Negro ever accepted there.
你就是在那里学会你弹奏的所有曲子吗
So that’s where they taught you all them songs you play?
其实 他们培养我弹的是古典音乐
Actually, I was trained to play classical music.
勃拉姆斯 弗朗兹·李斯特 贝多芬 肖邦
Brahms, Franz Liszt, Beethoven, Chopin…
我原本也只想弹奏那些
it’s all I ever wanted to play.
但我的唱片公♥司♥说服了我
But I was persuaded by my record company
于是我转而从事演奏流行音乐
to pursue a career in popular music instead.
他们坚持认为 观众绝不会接受
They insisted that audiences would never
古典音乐舞台上有一个黑人钢琴家
accept a negro pianist on the classical stage.
想将我变成又一个普通的黑人艺人
Wanted to turn me into just another colored entertainer.
你知道那个家伙吗
You know the guy who…
他弹奏的时候 在钢琴上
smoking while he’s playing, sets a glass of whiskey
放着一杯威士忌 然后还抱怨
on his piano and then he complains
因为他没有像大♥师♥亚瑟·鲁宾斯坦一样受人尊重
because he’s not respected like Arthur Rubinstein.
亚瑟·鲁宾斯坦可不会
You don’t see Arthur Rubenstein
把一杯威士忌放在钢琴上
putting a glass of whiskey on his piano.
我说不好
I don’t know…
我觉得你要是坚持
Personally, I think if you stuck to that
往古典音乐方向发展 会是一个大错
classic stuff it would’ve been a big mistake.
错误
A mistake?
演奏我训练了一辈子的音乐会是错误
Performing the music I trained my entire life to play?
训练 你把自己当什么了 海豹吗
Trained? What are you, a seal?
大家都爱听你的演奏
People love what you do.
每个人都能弹得像
Anyone can sound like
贝多芬或者肖”帮”或者任何一个你刚刚说的大人物
Beethoven or Joe Pan or them other guys you said.
但你的音乐 你弹奏出来的
But your music, what you do…
只有你能做到
Only you can do that.
谢谢你 托尼
Thank you Tony.
但是 并不是每个人都能弹肖邦的曲子