We have a visitor.
他刚敲门,问你住这儿不,就等这儿啦
He just knocked, asked
if you were here, and waited.
约瑟夫.加齐里,我叫贾格斯
Joseph Gargery,
my name is Jaggers.
在伦敦…当律师
I’m a lawyer in London.
我…很有名望
I’m pretty well known.
我想跟你们俩私下谈谈
I wish to private conference
with you two.
我什么都不瞒我的老婆
I keep no secrets
from my wife, sir.
这是庸人哲学,约瑟夫.加齐里
A very foolhardy principle,
Joseph Gargery.
可我不是为了开导你而来的
But I’m not here
to teach you sense.
我来是受人之托,到这儿来
I’m the bearer of an offer…
解除你…承担你这
to relieve you
of this young fellow,
年轻学徒的重担
your apprentice.
为了他的前途,你不会
反对解除师徒契约
You would not object to cancel
his indentures for his good?
并为此要什么代价吧?
You would want nothing
for so doing?
老天爷不答应…我怎么会…
Lord forbid that I should…
为他的前途要钱呢?
want anything for not
standing in Pip’s way.
有人授命于我前来奉告,这位年轻人
The communication I’ve got
to make is that this young fellow…
他的…前程似锦
has great expectations.
我还奉命转告他,他将
I’m instructed to communicate
to him, that he will
得到一笔相当可观的财产
come into a handsome property.
另外,他的保护人衷心地希望
Further, that it is the desire
of his benefactor
他速即离开此地
that he be immediately
removed from this place
改受一个上等人应有的…栽培
and be brought up
as a …gentleman.
那么,匹普先生,现在你首先
Now, Mr. Pip, you are
to understand, first,
必须记住的是…
授命于我的…这个人,要求你
that it is the request of the person
from whom I take my instructions
永远保持这个名字匹普
that you always bear
the name of Pip.
好,你要对此有异议
Now, if you have
any objections to that…
现在就提出来
this is the time to mention it.
呃…没有
Uh, no, I…
谅必也没有
I should think not!
(现在你得明白)
Now you are to understand,
其次,要记住,这个人
secondly, that the name
of the person
也就是你保护人的姓名
who is your benefactor
remains a profound secret,
在他自愿揭示之前是绝对秘密的
until that person
chooses to reveal it.
如果你心中对此有所猜测
If you have any suspicion
in your own breast,
也应…将此猜测留在你的心中
keep… that suspicion
in your own breast.
好,你要对此有异议
Now, if you have
any objections to that…
现在就提出来
this is the time to mention it.
– 我没有 – 谅必也没有
– I have no… – I should think not!
那么,匹普先生
Now, Mr. Pip,
既然考虑到你必须…
it is considered that you
must be better educated,
由于地位的改变接受相当的教育
in accordance
with your altered position,
你最好还是移居到伦敦去
and that may best be done
by removing you to London.
现在…势必要添一些新衣服
You will want some new clothes
to come in,
当然不是这种工作服
and they should not be
working clothes.
总要花点钱
You’ll need some money.
给你…二十金币
Shall I leave you, um, 20 guineas?
二十金币?
20 guineas?
至于你,约瑟夫.加齐里
As for you, Joseph Gargery,
我也已经被授权向你提供一笔厚礼
I have it in my charge to make
you a handsome present…
总不能叫你白忙
in exchange for his services.
好,你要求什么?
Now, what do you demand?
说吧
Speak out!
你当我会从匹普的前程里捞好处?
You think I would profit
from Pip’s expectations?
我是说,谁允许你到这儿来
I mean to say, who give you
leave to come here
折磨我的?
and pay and badger me!
乔,乔
Joe, Joe!
别介,贾格斯先生是无心的
Please…Mr. Jaggers means no harm.
遗憾的是他过去从来没有
It’s just that he’s never
had the good fortune
遇到过老实人
to meet an honest man before.
那,匹普先生
Well, Mr. Pip,
我看你越早离开这儿越好
I think that the sooner
you leave here… the better.
下星期二下午…
Someone will meet
your coach in London
会有人在伦敦接你
next Tuesday afternoon.
现在,为成为一个上等人
And now prepare yourself
for the strenuous business…
去尝尽千辛万苦吧
of becoming a gentleman.
我看这帽子太高了吧?
You don’t think the crown
is too high?
啊,匹普先生
在伦敦兴戴高帽子
Well, Mr. Pip, in London,
they’re all wearing them high.
往前戴一点
Uh, tilted front, of course.
帅极了
Very rakish, sir.
亲爱的朋友
My dear young friend.
你交了好运,不胜欣慰
I give you joy
of your good fortune.
真是善有善报
Well deserved!
Well deserved!
没想到你这次交鸿运
To think that I should have been
the humble instrument
我还…出了一点微薄之力
leading up to this proud reward.
好,我看这顶行啦
Yes, I… I suppose
this one will do.
亲爱的朋友,请允许我…我…
My clear young friend,
if you’ll allow me…
你怎么可以浪费
这位先生的宝贵时间呢?
How dare you take up the time
of this gentleman.
我是看他从小长大的
A child I spotted with
in happy infancy.
可你从来没说过他句好话
But you’ve never had
a kind word for him, sir.
赞扬他的可是我啊
It was I who sang his praises.
没好话?
A kind word?
对上等人不应该阿谀奉承
One doesn’t flatter
a person of quality.
我一向跟他平起平坐
I always treated him
as an equal.
这是我对他…啊,最好的赞扬
I couldn’t have paid him
a higher compliment.
哎,比蒂
Hey, Biddy.
现在我为乔做点什么?
Think what I can do for Joe now.
怎么扯到乔了?
What is Joe to do with this?
我想等我以后发了财
Why, when I come
into my fortune,
他就用不着再打铁了
he need never work
in that forge again.
恐怕他不愿意从这充满他感情的地方
But he may not want to be
taken out of a place
…给人家撵出去
that he… likes…
and fills with respect.
你怎么知道?
Well, how do you know?
我了解乔,他不会受人钱财,很清高
I know my Joe. He’s too proud
to live on your fortune.
不是乔,清高的,比蒂,是你
It’s not Joe who’s
too proud, Biddy. It’s you.
你是妒忌我…见我发财
You’re envious of my…
rise in fortune
说不出的忌妒
and can’t help showing it.
人就是爱妒忌
That’s only human nature.
不管你贬我也好
夸我也好,匹普先生
Whether you scold me
or approve of me, Mr. Pip,