Better wash up
and finish work tomorrow.
你先吃,乔
You go ahead, Joe.
我答应庞布丘克大叔
I promised Uncle Pumblechook
I’d fix the wheel of his cart
明天一早给他安好
by tomorrow mornin’.
我一会儿来
I’ll eat later.
也好,匹普,伙计
As you wish, Pip, old chap.
噢,乔
Oh, and Joe.
劳你驾,关上门
If you don’t mind.
Would you shut the door?

Aye.
我就怕在哪一个不幸的夜晚
What I feared was that
on some unlikely night,
一抬头就看见埃斯特拉
I should lift my eyes and see
Estella looking in at me
在作坊门口往里瞅
from one of the forge doors.
我终日忧心忡忡,唯恐她会
I was haunted by the fear
that she would, sooner or later,
发现我在干这脏活儿
find me, at my coarse work.
我总惦着她会来
I would fancy
she had come at last,
向我突然袭击,再一次来羞辱我
to surprise me…
and despise me once again.
比蒂
Biddy.
你要不肯好好在屋里吃你的饭
If you won’t take your hot meal
properly in the kitchen,
那你就在这儿吃吧
you’ll just have to eat it
in the forge.
谢谢,比蒂
Thanks, Biddy.
你不快活,匹普?
You’re not happy, are you, Pip?
啊,哪能不快活
Well, I must be happy.
看我样样都不缺
I have everything
a man could want.
吃的,住的,工作
Food, shelter, work,
你要…嫁给乔,我还会有个家
and, uh, when you marry Joe,
a proper family.
恐怕这还不够吧
Sometimes that’s not enough.
打小我就看出你人小心不小
Even when you were a boy,
I knew you wanted more.
把身上的零钱都花在…
Spending all your
pocket money on…
买♥♥那些讲外国事情的书上
…books about far away places.
我真怕你逃走…当兵,做水手
I feared you go off to be
a soldier or a sailor.
可你始终守着乔
But you stayed faithful to Joe…
守着这活儿
and your work.
比蒂
Biddy…
我一见到这打铁炉就恨
Hasn’t been one day
I haven’t hated this forge.
你应该告诉乔
Then, you must tell Joe.
噢,他哪会懂呢?
But how could he understand?
他爱这工作
He loves his work.
我拼命干并不因为我觉得勤劳是美德
If I work hard, it’s not because I think
there’s any virtue in hard work,
而是因为乔干活更拼命
but because Joe works even harder.
我窝着股火,我心烦我不满意
All I am is… restless
and discontented.
你不是…觉得干这活儿丢人吧,匹普?
You’re not… ashamed
of what you do, are you, Pip?
是的…
Yes.
我觉得干这个活儿实在丢人
And I’m ashamed
of the very shame I feel.
哦,匹普
Oh, Pip.
这么多年啦
It’s been years.
按说你早该把她忘了
You should have
forgotten her long ago.
她准保把你忘了
She’s surely forgotten you.
匹普,为什么?
Pip, what for?
去看看,不为什么,乔
What’s any visit made for, Joe?
哈维沙姆小姐会以为你想要…不
Yeah, but Miss Havisham
might think you wanted, nay,
指望得点好处
…expected something of her!
匹普
You see, Pip, old chap,
她可够厚待你了
she done the handsome
thing by you,
当时不是对你说就这些了
and when she done it,
she told you that was all.
她意思是下不为例了
“All” meaning
“let us make an end of it.”
她替我出了学手艺的钱
I never really thanked her
properly for paying
我还没谢她呢
for my apprenticeship.
该表示下我可没忘了她
I ought to let her know
I remember her.
那你给她送点礼
Well, you could send her
some present.
让庞布丘克大叔送去
Uncle Pumblechook
could take it for you.
打一把烤面包的叉送给她
You might make a toasting fork
at the forge.
你别唠叨个没完,乔,我主意打定了
Don’t go on like that, Joe.
I know what I’m doing!
是吗,匹普伙计
Do you, Pip, old chap?
是的
Yes.
我要去见哈维沙姆小姐
I’m going to call
on Miss Havisham tomorrow.
你真的是想见哈维沙姆小姐吗?
Are you sure it’s Miss Havisham
you want to see?
是的,比蒂,是哈维沙姆小姐
Yes, Biddy.
It’s Miss Havisham!
你来干什么,匹普?
Why are you here, Pip?
不是来要什么吧?
I hope you want nothing.
– 不,我…我不要什么 – 那好
– No, I want nothing. – Good.
你也得不到什么
For you’ll get nothing!
我从不给那些…求我的人
I never give to those who seek.
可我倒是乐意施舍给那些
Though I might be generous to one
who has abandoned all hope.
跟我同命运的…绝望的人
As I have.
您过得好吗?
You are well, I trust?
还是死抱着我的坏习惯…
I still cling to my bad habit…
过日子
of living.
我是想来告诉您…
I just wanted you to know
我…差不多快满师了
that I am almost done
with my apprenticeship,
而且…我很感激您
and… I am much
obliged to you.
埃斯特拉好吗?
How is Estella?
还在国外,望洋兴叹吧
Still abroad, out of reach,
她越长越美了,谁见了都爱她
prettier than ever,
admired by all who see her.
很好…很好
Quite well, indeed.
我…很高兴
Well… I’m… I’m glad.
不,你不高兴
No, you’re not.
因为你落空了
For it means you’ve lost her.
落空了
Lost her!
(埃斯特拉?落…落空了)
Estella? Lo… lost?
匹普,别走
Uh, Pip! Don’t go
这点你收下
until you have taken this.

Oh, no!
可是,我得谢谢你给我消遣了
But, Pip, I’m grateful to you
for amusing me.
过去你给我消遣也是得到好处的
You know, you were always rewarded
when you amused me.
我绝不要你的
I want nothing of yours.
哦,你撒谎
Oh, you liar!
你想要我的掌上明珠
You want my most
precious possession,
埃斯特拉
Estella.
想得好,都说我疯了
Imagine… they call me mad.
当我会把她…给一个铁匠去糟蹋
Yet, he think she should be
squandered on a blacksmith,
一个下♥贱♥的铁匠
a common blacksmith.
“下♥贱♥的铁匠”
“A common blacksmith.”
埃斯特拉受的教育是配上等人的
Estella was trained
for gentleman only!
回去打你的铁吧
Now, return to your forge!
你要有福分的话
And if you are fortunate,
说不定有一天埃斯特拉会坐上那辆
one day she might ride
in a carriage
你修的马车
whose wheels you have mended.
匹普
Pip.
来了个客人

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!