你有钱,你随便给嘛
Well, you’ve money enough
to do as you choose.
可是他不肯收我的钱
Oh, but he wouldn’t take
money from me.
他一心想找个职业
What he needs most
is employment.
我…我在想…
I– I was thinking…
也许你能替他找个什么事儿
perhaps you could find him
something in the city.
嗯,安排一下吧
Could be arranged.
可我…不愿他知道背后是我
But, uh, I wouldn’t want him
to know that I’d done it.
也许你能…把事办得…
So perhaps you could
make it appear
像是他因才录取的
that someone was in need
of his skills.
可以的
Certainly.
我们的金融界最需要的
There is nothing our financial
world needs so much
就是这样的年轻人…
as a young fellow
who can neither
加减乘除一窍不通
add, subtract, or multiply.
知道了
Say no more.
明天他去英国银行上班
He’s a clark in the Bank
of England tomorrow.
谢谢您
Thank you, sir.
噢,先生们,为我们的年轻朋友匹普干杯
Well, gentlemen, a toast to
the health of our young friend Pip.
祝他在伦敦一切都称心如意
May he find London
all that he hoped it would be.
– 匹普 – 匹普
– To Pip. – Pip.
谢谢
Thank you.
我看你枪法虽好,德鲁默尔
Well, you may be able to use
a pistol, Drummle,
可是要比手劲儿
but when it comes
to an arm wrestle,
恐怕我要比你强
I’m afraid I’ve got
the advantage.
– 啊,来比比 – 好
– Prove it! – Right.
– 你别吹牛 – 使劲儿,波克特
– Poxy beggar.- Come on, Pocket.
使劲儿,波克特
Come on, Pocket!
使劲儿
Come on!
使劲儿
Stronger!
怎么样啊,比一下,匹普?
Care to try me, Pip?
好,比比
Well, certainly.
你哪是我对手
Think you’re a match for me, eh?
这得要真功夫
See what real strength is.
使劲儿
Come on!
你是个废物,废物
You’re a weakling. Weakling!
既然你谈到真功夫…
If you speak of strength, sir,
这儿有把手恐怕你不敢较量
let me show you a wrist
you dare not challenge.
– 东家 – 莫利
– Master. – Molly.
– 不,东家 – 莫利
– Please, Master. – Molly!
你露一手给他看看,莫利
Show him what a fine lady
you are, Molly.
好叫他甘拜下风
Make him bow to you.
好了,莫利
That’ll do, Molly.
他服了,你可以走了
You’ve been admired and may go.
没想到个女人…
I never thought a woman could…
她不费吹灰之力能把你的脖子拧断
She could break your neck
with as little trouble if she pleased.
我看她杀过人
Why, then, she killed someone.
是你保下来的杀人犯
She’s one of the murderers
you defended.
错了
Wrong.
我只说她能,没说她确实杀过人
I only said she could kill.
I never said she did kill.
不要从表面判断事物,匹普
You must learn never to judge
by appearances, Pip.
我从来不
I never do.
光从表面判断,我就会说这位
Why, if I did, I would say
that our friend Drummle here…
生性暴戾,华而不实
was a braggart and a brute.
而波克特
I would say that Pocket
是一个不名分文的老好人
was a penniless, foolish,
good-natured fellow,
而你呢…来这儿原是为了想问我
and that you are really here
because you wish to ask me
多要一点钱,作为你在伦敦寻欢作乐的开销
for more money to pay
for your London pleasures…
匹普
Pip.
波克特先生
Yes, Pocket.
这样布置很不错
It will do very nicely.
呃…
Oh, uh…
你是来要账的?
I’ve forgotten to pay you?
先生,我…我来找匹普先生
Sir, I– I be lookin’for Mr. Pip.
乔
JOE!
匹普,伙计
Pip, old chap.
你好啊
How are ya?
你可真长个儿了,像个上等人
My, but you’ve growed
and swelled a gentlefolk,
真给我们皇上作脸了
as to be an honor to your king
and country.
噢,你,乔,你气色真好
And you, Joe, you–
you look wonderfully well.
比蒂好吗?
How’s Biddy?
哦,好着吶
Oh, she’s well.
对…对不起,我没来看你们
I’m sorry I haven’t been down
to see you.
不过…我有空会来的
But as soon as I have time,
I will.
呃…这是我…我的朋友…
Oh, this is–
this is my good friend, uh,
赫伯特.波克特
Herbert Pocket.
乔.加齐里先生
Mr. Joseph Gargery.
哦,见到你很高兴
Oh, uh, happy to meet you, sir.
不胜荣幸,加齐里先生
My pleasure, Mr. Gargery.
哎哟,哎哟
Do you take, uh…
你喝茶还是咖啡?
…tea or coffee, Mr. Gargery?
谢谢,先生
Oh, thank you, sir.
你…你看什么合适我就喝什么
I’ll take whichever
is most agreeable to yourself.
那就喝咖啡吧?
What do you say to coffee?
叫您费神给挑了咖啡
Well, since you’re kind enough
to make the choice of coffee,
那我…那我没说的就听您的
I– I won’t run contrary
to your own opinions.
您不觉得喝咖啡太浓?
Don’t you never find it
a little heating?
那么,喝茶吧
Well, uh, say tea, then.
谢谢
Thank you. Oh, I–
哦,不,放着好了
Oh, no. Do leave it there.
哦,我…我该走了,上班去了
Well, I– I must be off
for my job in the city.
认识你很高兴,加齐里先生
It’s been a pleasure
meeting you, Mr. Gargery.
匹普的朋友…也就是…
Oh, well, an- any friend
of Pip’s is a friend…
…匹普的朋友
…is a friend of Pip’s.
好,您…
Now, sir…
乔,怎么跟我说”您”?
Joe…
How can you call me “sir”?
哦,匹普
Well, Pip.
哈维沙姆小姐传话给我
叫给你捎个信
Your Miss Havisham has sent word
to me to bring you a message.
叫我告诉你…
I am to let you know that..
埃斯特拉小姐回国了,她想见见你
Miss Estella has come home
and will be glad to see you.
埃斯特拉她,回来了?
Estella, she- she’s home?
你,你怎么不早说?
Well, why didn’t you
tell me before?
我得去看看她
Well, I– I must get down
to see her.
我换身衣服
I must get dressed.
嗯…
Uh…
乔
Joe?
– 乔,你怎么走了? – 我该走啦
– Joe? You’re not going, Joe?
– Right I am.
你回来吃饭吧?
You’ll be back for dinner?
匹普伙计,咱们俩在伦敦
Old chap, you and me
is not two figures