Thank you.
谢谢你
Come and see me on your next birthday.
下次你生日时来看我
Yes, Miss Havisham. Estella, show him out.
好的 哈维夏姆小姐 埃斯特拉 领他走吧
Goodbye, Miss Havisham.
再见 哈维夏姆小姐
Goodbye, Pip.
再见 匹普
You’d better say goodbye to me because I’m going away too.
你最好对我说再见 因为我也要离开了
Going away? Yes.
离开? 是的
I’m going to France to be educated for a lady.
我要去法国受淑女教育
Educated for a lady? Yes.
受淑女教育? 是的
Well? Aren’t you sorry I’m going?
好吗? 我要走了你不难过吗?
Yes, Estella. I’m very sorry.
是的 埃斯特拉 我很难过
I wish I knew when you were coming back. I wish…
我想 我愿你回来 我想…
What do you wish?
你想怎样?
I wish I could kiss you goodbye.
我想跟你吻别
My boyhood had ended
我的少年时代结束了
and my life as a blacksmith began.
我的生活从一个铁匠开始
It was in the sixth year of my apprenticeship,
在我学徒的第六年
and it was a Friday night.
那是一个星期五夜晚
Are you the blacksmith by name Joseph, or Joe, Gargery?
你是铁匠? 叫约瑟夫或乔嘎吉瑞?
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
Have you an apprentice commonly known as Pip? Is he here?
你有一个学徒叫匹普? 他在吗?
I’m Pip, sir.
我是匹普 先生
So you are Pip? Yes, sir.
你是匹普? 是的 先生
My name is Jaggers. I’m a lawyer in London.
我叫杰葛 我在伦敦是律师
I wish to have a private conference with you two.
我想跟你们俩私下谈谈
We’d better go into the house.
我们最好进房♥去
Now, Joseph Gargery,
约瑟夫嘎吉瑞.
I am the bearer of an offer to relieve you of this young fellow.
我是受人之托来解除你承担这年轻学徒的重担
You would not object to cancel his apprenticeship for his own good?
为了他的前途 你不会反对解除师徒契约吧
You would want nothing?
也不会为此要什么代价吧?
Heaven forbid I should want anything for not standing in Pip’s way.
我怎么会为他的前途要钱呢 老天也不答应
Very well, then. I come now to this young fellow.
有人授命于我前来奉告这位年轻人
And my communication to him is that he has great expectations.
他的前程似锦
I am instructed to communicate to him
我还奉命转告他
that he will come into a handsome property.
他将得到一笔相当可观的财产
Further, that it is at the desire of the present possessor of that property
另外他的保护人衷心的希望
that he shall be removed from his present sphere of life and from this place
他即刻离开此地
and be brought up as befits a young gentleman of great expectations.
去一个适合上等人的地方 很棒的期望吧
Now, Mr. Pip, you are to understand first
匹普先生你要记住的是
that it is at the request of the person from whom I take my instructions
授命于我的人
that you always bear the name of Pip.
要求你永远保持”匹普”这个名字
If you have any objection, now is the time to mention it.
如果你有任何的异议 现在就提出来
No, I, I have no objection.
没 我 没有异议
I should think not, indeed.
谅必也没有
Secondly, Mr. Pip,
其次 匹普先生
you are to understand that the name of the person who is your benefactor
请记住 你保护人的姓名
is to remain a profound secret until that person chooses to reveal it.
是绝对秘密的 除非他自愿揭示
If you have any suspicion whom that person might be,
如果你心中对此有所猜测
keep that suspicion within your own breast.
也应将此猜测留在你的心中
If you have any objection, now is the time to mention it.
你要对此有异议现在就提出来
Speak out. I have no objection.
大胆地说吧 我没有
And now, Mr. Pip, kindly consider me your guardian.
匹普先生 你的监护人要我给你作安排
I thank you, sir.
谢谢你
I’m well paid for my services, otherwise I shouldn’t render them.
我会很好地尽我的义务
I have arranged for you to go to London in a week’s time.
我已经安排让你在一周内去伦敦
You will need some new clothes.
你将需要添一些新的衣服
They should not be working clothes.
当然不是这种工作服
Twenty guineas.
给你二十个金币
Well, Joseph Gargery? You look dumbfounded.
好啦 约瑟夫嘎吉瑞 别发♥愣♥
I am.
我
Then good night, Mr. Gargery.
晚安 嘎吉瑞先生
Good night, Pip. Good night, sir.
晚安 匹普 晚安 先生
Pip!
匹普
A young gentleman of great expectations!
一个年轻的绅士很棒的期待
Biddy! Biddy!
比迪
Pip!
匹普
This is a very gay figure, Pip.
真是帅极啦
I start for London tomorrow.
哈维夏姆小姐 我明天去伦敦
I thought you would not mind my taking leave of you.
不介意我来向你道别吧
Well?
很好
I’ve come into such good fortune since I saw you last
自从上次见到您之后 我交上了好运
and I am so grateful for it.
我很感激
I’ve seen Mr. Jaggers, Pip.
我见过杰葛先生 匹普
I’ve heard about it.
我已知道一切
So you go tomorrow? Yes, Miss Havisham.
你明天去 是的 哈维夏姆小姐
And you are adopted by a rich person.
被一个富有的人收养
Not named? No, Miss Havisham.
不结婚? 不 哈维夏姆小姐
And Mr. Jaggers is made your guardian?
杰葛先生是你的监护人
Yes, Miss Havisham.
是的 哈维夏姆小姐
Is Estella… Abroad.
埃斯黛拉… 在国外
Prettier than ever
她比以前漂亮多了
and admired by all who see her.
所有见过她的人都赞美她
And you too have a promising career before you.
你也大有前途
Be good and deserve it, Pip.
匹普 会得到的
You will always keep the name of Pip, you know.
记住要永远保留”匹普”这名字
Yes, Miss Havisham.
是的 哈维夏姆小姐
Goodbye, Pip.
再见 匹普
Well…
噢…
Bye, Joe.
再见 乔
God bless you, dear old Pip. God bless you.
上帝祝福你 亲爱的匹普
Bye, Biddy. Goodbye, Pip.
再见 比迪 再见 匹普
One day I’ll come and see you in London, Pip,
或许有一天我会在伦敦见到你 匹普
and then what larks, eh?
那多快乐 是吗?
Goodbye! Goodbye, Joe.
再见 再见 乔
Goodbye, Pip, old chap.
再见 匹普 老家伙
Hey, London.
嗨 到伦敦了
Ahem. Excuse me, please. Is Mr. Jaggers at home?
请问杰葛先生在家吗?
He is not. He’s in court at present.
他不在 他出庭还没回来
Am I addressing Mr. Pip? Yes, I’m Mr. Pip.
是匹普先生吗? 是的 我是匹普
Mr. Jaggers left word would you wait in his room. This way, please.
杰葛先生留话要你在此等候 这边请
Couldn’t say how long he might be,
他没说多久会回来
but he won’t be longer than he can help.
这是常事 他的时间很宝贵 不会很久的
Go and wait outside, Mike.
到外面去等候 麦可
I hope I’m not interrupting. Oh, certainly not.
我没妨碍你吧 当然没有
Oi!
喂
Your first time in London, Mr. Pip? Yes, sir.
你第一次来伦敦 匹普先生? 是的 先生
I was new here once. Rum to think of it now.
当初我也这样 看着什么都新鲜
Whose likeness is that? That?
那是谁? 那个?
This is our most famous client. Got us a world of credit.
这是我们最出名的客户 他给我们带来了很大的声誉
This chap murdered his master.
这家伙谋杀了他的主人
Didn’t plan it badly.
做这像还不是很难
Is it like him? Like him? It is him, you know.
像他吗? 像他? 这就是他
This cast was made in Newgate, directly after he was taken down.
这是在伦敦西门监狱中直接复♥制♥下来的
Your man is on this afternoon. Got the witness?
你的证人下午来 是吗?
Yes, Mr. Jaggers. Wait here.
是的 杰葛先生 在这里等候吧
Mr. Pip’s here. Good.
匹普先生在此 好的
Ah, so you’ve arrived safely, Mr. Pip. Good morning.
看来你安全到达 匹普先生
Good morning, Mr. Jaggers. We can soon settle you.
早安 杰葛先生 我们将很快安顿你
Wemmick, Mr. Pip’s file.
维米克 把匹普先生的文件拿出来
Wemmick will show you to Mr. Herbert Pocket’s rooms in Barnard’s Inn,
维米克会引你去赫伯特·博盖特先生在巴纳德的住所
where you will live.
你将居住在那里
Oh, sit down, Mr. Pip, sit down.
哦 坐下 匹普先生 坐
Mr. Pocket can give you a good lead as to the places in London
博盖特先生会提供一个很好的住所
with which you should become acquainted. That is agreeable?
你会很快熟悉伦敦的 我想在那里是很合适的
Yes, Mr. Jaggers. Next, money.
是的 杰葛先生 啊 接下来是钱的问题
Your allowance will be £250 per annum,
你的津贴是一年250磅
which means that you will draw from Wemmick
你可在维米克这里领♥取♥
the sum of 62 pounds, 10 shillings per quarter.
每次四分之一 也就是62磅10先令
A very handsome sum of money too, I think.
我想这是一笔不少的钱了
You consider it so? How could I do otherwise?
你认为呢? 我如何做?