至少我希望不会
At least, I hope not.
-原来是你! -原谅我曾揍过你
– You! – Forgive me for having knocked you about so.
婚期已定 礼服也送来了
The marriage day was fixed, the wedding dresses bought,
蜜月旅行都计划好了 客人也请了
the wedding tour was planed out, and the wedding guests invited.
新郎骗了哈维森小姐很多钱
The day came but the bride groom,
婚礼当天却没出现
having extracted great sums of money from Miss Havisham, did not.
-写了封信给她 -她在八点四十分收到这封信
– He wrote her a letter. – Received at twenty to nine.
此后她就过着不见天日的日子
And she never since seen daylight.
我父亲想警告她他是个坏蛋 她听到这番忠告却把我父亲赶出门
My father tried to tell her he was a bad lot but she ordered my father out of the house.
-我看到你那一次呢… -她也把我叫过去
– And when I saw you there… – I too had been sent for.
但我下场和我父亲一样惨
But I came out of it as badly as my father.
不然早就不愁衣食了
If I hadn’t, perhaps I should have been provided for.
-哈维森小姐收养了艾丝黛拉 -好报复天下的男人
– And Estella is adopted by Miss Havisham? – To wreak revenge on all the male sex.
我敢说你去她家也受了不少折磨吧?
I’d venture you’ve been on the receiving end during your visits?
她出国了 我再也没见过她
She’s been abroad, I haven’t seen her.
皮普 请容我说一句 伦敦不流行把餐刀放进嘴里
Pip, may I mention that in London it is not the custom to put the knife in the mouth
以免发生意外 汤匙高度不能超过手 要在手下方
for fear of accidents, and that the spoon is used underhand.
这样吃东西比较方便 开生蚝时右手手肘也省不少力
You save a good deal of the attitude of opening oysters on the part of the right elbow.
-天哪 我忘了 -你说什么?
– Oh, dear me, I’m late again. – Beg your pardon?
忘了举杯庆祝
The proposal of a toast, Pip.
为你的好运和在伦敦的前途干杯
To your good fortune and your future in London.
为我在伦敦的前途干杯
To my future in London.
我可以给你最好的教育 让你可以和同辈相匹敌
I can educate you well enough to hold your own with your contemporaries.
我的同辈?
My contemporaries?
其他环境优越的年轻人
Other young men in prosperous circumstances.
-您是哈维森小姐的表弟? -我和她仅止于血缘关系
– You’re a cousin of Miss Havisham’s? – My ties are no more than natural.
至于我和你的关系 皮普 这就重要得多了
Now, as to my ties to you, Pip, which will be much more to the point,
我不敢说能把你调♥教♥成一个绅士
I will not say I can make you a gentleman –
没有绅士胸襟的人不会有绅士风度
no man who is not a true gentleman at heart is ever a gentleman in manner,
朽木不可雕也
no varnish can hide the grain of the wood.
你的同学——史塔托普先生
Your fellow students – Mr Startop.
杜鲁默先生
Mr Drummle.
-皮普先生 -各位好
– Mr Pip. – How do you do?
你知道这本书的问题在哪里吗 帕克先生?
You know the trouble with this book, Mr Pocket?
它太重了
It weighs too much.
能拿得起来读就不错了
It’s as much as one can do to pick the thing up.
我还有正事要做
Well, business awaits.
他要到会计室去报道
He’s to the counting house. To report himself.
-会计室?-我在寻找机会
– The counting house? – I look about me, Pip,
我在会计室做事 寻找机会
I’m in a counting house and I look about me,
将来我要承包船只
to begin insuring ships and employ my capital.
一举抓住赚大钱的机会
To…to swoop – tremendous opportunities. Tremendous.
再见
Goodbye.
我一直拿不定主意要当上议院议长
I was never quite decided whether to mount to the Woolsack
或是接受主教职位
or roof myself in with a mitre.
当大臣还是做主教
Chancellor or bishop.
时候到了 自然分晓
It was a mere question of time.
(拉丁文)
你觉得奥狄修斯的父亲认出儿子的画面不感人吗 杜鲁默先生?
You find the recognition of Odysseus by his father uninvolving, Mr Drummle?
再念清楚点我可能会更感动
Mm… A clearer reading might have moved me more successfully.
我很怀疑
Oh, I doubt it.
你的动作比较优雅了
Your style becomes more elegant.
我现在划船不靠蛮劲 我用了些实用的技巧
Oh, I’m less now in strength to be adept. I’ve engaged in some practical tuition.
你不使蛮劲就太可信了
Not a reliance you should lose altogether.
你的教练告诉我 你有铁匠的手臂
Your instructor tells me you have the arm of a blacksmith.
他这是赞美你的意思
He intended it as a compliment.
早安 先生
Morning, sir.
我可以找点事给他做
I can find him a little to do.
那你大概得弄很多东西给他吃
And I daresay you’ll have to find him a great deal to eat.
我在柏纳客栈住的很舒服
I’m making myself at home at Barnard’s Inn
买♥♥了家居和一两样小东西
with furniture and one or two little things
-不过这些东西价格不低… -说吧 你要多少?50镑?
– but things are not so small in price… – How much do you want? £50?
-用不着这么多 -那就5镑吧
– Not nearly so much. – £5 then.
说个数目吧 5镑的两倍 三倍 四倍 五倍
Let’s get to it. Two times five. Three. Four times five.
威米克!
Wemmick!
拿皮普先生的书面指令 给他20镑
Take Mr Pip’s written orders and give him £20.
你越来越堕落了 你早说你会的
You see, you’re getting on. I told you you would.
陷阱触动 喀一声关上!
The mantrap is sprung, and click!
你困在里面了
You’re caught in it.
你不讨厌看见老人家吧?
You don’t object to an aged parent?
不会
No.
-你一向走路回家吗? -是的
– Do you always make your way home on foot? – Oh, yes.
有点远 华沃斯离办公室是远了点
It’s some distance. Walworth is some distance from the desk,
我整天坐办公室
which I have had my legs under all day.
-但还是挺远的 -没错
– Still, it’s quite a stretch. – Oh, yes.
是挺远的
Quite a stretch.
现在…到了
And now…we’re here.
我可以从园子里摘菜做个好沙拉配着吃
Ah. I could raise a good salad from the garden to go with that.
现在与世隔绝了
All communication now cut off.
今天好吗 老爹?
How are you today, Aged?!
这是皮普先生!来吃晚饭的!
This is Mr Pip! Come for supper!
对他拼命点头最有效
Just nod away at him, Mr Pip, that works best.
尤为很好的女士 史基芬小姐 在我上班时照顾他
A very good lady named Miss Skiffins attends him while I’m at work.
-贾格斯先生毫不知情? -他没见过老爹 听都没听过
– Mr Jaggers knows nothing of…? – Never seen the Aged. Never heard of him.
在公言公 在私言私
The office is one thing, the private life another.
我来告诉你晚餐都有些什么菜
Now, I will tell you what I have for supper, Mr Pip.
我有…
I have got…
一块炖牛排和一只饭馆买♥♥来的冷烤鸡
a stewed steak and a cold, roast fowl from the cook’s-shop.
饭馆老板给我们的几件案子当过陪审员 我们很给他面子
The master of the shop was a juryman on some cases of ours and we let him down easy.
你常常收…礼物吗?
Do you often receive…er, gifts?
是 我来者不拒
Oh, yes. I always take ’em.
死刑犯 陪审员 贾格斯的委托人
Condemned men, jurymen, Jaggers’ clients. They’re property, Pip.
这些或许不怎么值钱 但这都是财富啊 算是财产
They may not be worth much but after all they’re portable. And property.
你的前途远大 不放在眼里
It don’t signify to you, with your brilliant outlook
但我的守则一向是“抓住财富”
but as for myself, my guiding star always is, “get hold of portable property.”
这是我的珍藏柜
My cabinet of curiosities, Pip.
全都是重刑案的相关证物
Of a felonious nature.
阿特利伪造文书案用的笔
The very pen used in the Attlee forgery case.
这是两个著名谋杀案用的剃刀
These razors from two celebrated murder cases.
其中一个罪犯身上找的一缕死者的头发
A lock of the victim’s hair, found on one of the felons.
还有这封信 看起来
And this letter here, look,
声称是一个死刑犯的自白
purporting to be the confession of a condemned man.
但我知道事实上就是一派胡言
But I know for a fact it’s all lies.
他根本没写过
He never even did it.
你不觉得这很珍贵吗?
Now that is a curiosity, don’t you think?
这些案子都是贾格斯办的?
Jaggers was involved in all these cases?
让他声名大噪
Do him a world of credit.
我看不出来他是怎么样的人
I don’t know what to make of him.
他没想让你看出来
He don’t mean that you should.
他不是看不起你 而是工作需要 完全是工作需要
It’s not personal, it’s professional. Only professional.
不过接受他的晚餐邀请吧 他明天会邀请你
But accept his invitation to dinner, you’ll have it tomorrow.
吃饭时你就会看到他的收藏了 一份完全属于他自己的珍藏
And when you dine you’ll see he harbours a curiosity all of his very own.
留意他的管家
Look at his housekeeper.
她有什么特别之处?
What shall I see?
她是头被驯服的野兽
A wild beast tamed.
仔细注意她
But you keep your eye on it.
他们并不是把船往回划 还像女仆一样隔水喊话
They pull homeward abreast of one another and converse like parlour maids.
你总是远远落后与我们 根本听不到我们说话
You cannot hear us because you are always too far behind.
我故意远离你们两个 我觉得这样划船好玩多了
I choose to keep my distance from you. I enjoy the river more that way.
这么说你自认力气和技术都胜过这两位先生了
So, you consider yourself the master in strength and skill?
-不用想也知道 -你们两位怎么说?
– That consideration needs little thought. – What say you two?
-这完全是是他的想象 -看我的手就知道比你们厉害
– His superiority is in his imagination. – The superiority is here in the flesh.
-看! -来 皮普
– Look! – Come, Mr Pip,
把袖子卷起来让他无地自容
unroll your sleeves and put him to shame.
我想皮普更愿意在泰晤士河上让他丢脸
Pip would rather shame him on the Thames, I think.
要比力气…我让你们看个手腕
If you talk of strength…I’ll show you a wrist.
-老爷… -茉莉 让他们看看你的手腕
– Master… – Molly, let them see your wrist.
求你了…
Please…
两只手都伸出来 让他们看看
Let them see them both. Show them.
来嘛
Come on.
这只手腕很有力