他业已去世,他是个社♥会♥主♥义♥者,但我不是
He is dead. He was a socialist, I am not.
他是一个文明的人
He was a civilized individual…
决不将自己的政♥治♥原则强加于人
…who did not insist upon agreement with his political principles…
以作为对话或友谊的前提
…as a pre-condition for conversation or friendship.
我并不同意他的政♥治♥主张
I do not agree with his political ideas.
拉斯基在书的前言中写得很清楚
Laski, as he makes clear in the introduction…
他把书献给我并非由于政见一致
…dedicated the book to me, not because of political agreement…
而是由于他对我在伦敦的战时广播高度赞许
…but because he held my wartime broadcast from London in high regard.
书中写道:
And the dedication so reads.
“我20年前就相信,今天也同样相信”
I believed 20 years ago and I believe today…
“成熟的美国人能够”
…that mature Americans can engage in conversation and controversy…
“与全世界的共♥产♥主义者进行对话和辩论”“思想的撞击…
…the clash of ideas, with Communists anywhere in the world…
…不会导致污染和转变”
…without becoming contaminated or converted.
“我相信我们的信念,我们的主义…”
I believe that our faith, our conviction…
“我们的决心都比他们的强大”
…our determination are stronger than theirs…
我们能够在竞争中胜利,“不止胜在武力上”
…and that we can successfully compete, not only in the area of bombs…
“同样胜在思想上”
…but in the area of ideas.
我已经在CBS工作逾19年
I have worked with CBS for more than 19 years.
公♥司♥完全支持我作为一名广播工作者…
The company has subscribed fully to my integrity and responsibility…
以及一名忠诚的美国人所具备的正直与责任
…as a broadcaster and as a loyal American.
我无需一个威斯康 星州的资浅参议员来耳提面命
I require no lectures from the junior Senator from Wisconsin…
教育我共♥产♥主义危险性和恐怖性
…as to the dangers or terrors of Communism.
回顾过去,我扪心自问
Having searched my conscience and my files…
并没有做到事事正确毫无偏差
…I cannot contend that I have always been right or wise…
但我总是努力地试图追求真♥相♥并且报道之
…but I have attempted to pursue the truth with diligence and to report it…
尽管,在这件事情上我也被事先警告过
…even though, as in this case, I had been warned in advance…
我可能会引来参议员麦卡锡的注意
…that I would be subjected to the attentions of Senator McCarthy.
我们希望下周能够处理关系 更重大的国家利益的事件
We shall hope to deal with matters of more vital interest next week.
晚安,好运
Good night, and good luck.
“不久前,参议员先生站在 电视广播的跳水高台上…”
In the last analysis, the Senator was perched on the television high dive…
“做好充分准备要激起漂亮的水花…”
…and all prepared to make a resounding splash.
“他以优美的姿态起跳 却没事先检查好着陆的地方”
He jumped beautifully, but he neglected to check first…
“因此,他必定无比震惊地发现 莫罗先生竟然…”
…where he was going to land. It must have been a shock…
“已经抽干了泳池中的水”
…to discover that Mr. Murrow had drained the water out of the pool.
-〈纽♥约♥时♥报♥〉吗?古德? -对啊,是〈纽♥约♥时♥报♥〉的古德
– Is that the Times? Gould? – Yeah, it’s Jack Gould.
-他真是个了不起的作家 -你应该从〈纽♥约♥时♥报♥〉把他请过来
– He’s a hell of a writer. – Yes, he is.
如果请得起的话
– If we can afford him! – Stanton’s got a public opinion…
参议院正在调查麦卡锡
Senate’s investigating McCarthy.
什么?
What?
军队正控告麦卡锡和科恩制♥造♥莫须有的压力
The Army’s charging that McCarthy and Cohn exercised undue pressure…
-目的是博取席尼的优待 -我在〈太阳报〉见到克赖顿了,他简直无懈可击
…to get preferential treatment for Schine. – Who’s the source?
-二手消息吗? -不是,不过两个小时之内 这个消息就会传出去了
– Got a second source? – There isn’t, but this is coming out in 2 hours.
-谁负责调查? -反正不会是麦卡锡
– Who’s heading up the investigation? – It’s not gonna be McCarthy!
-你…真的…? -发生什么事?
– Really? – What happened?
-致电〈邮报〉 -怎么回事?
– Also get me the Washington Post! – What’s going on?
要第二手资料吧
It’s Williams for Jack Thompson.
参议院正在调查麦卡锡
The Senate’s investigating McCarthy.
还有可笑的一点是…
There is an added bit of comedy to this whole story.
委员会等了好些天都没召开
The Committee cannot convene for several days…
因为参议员麦卡锡得了喉炎
…because Senator McCarthy has a slight case of laryngitis.
而且必须在亚利桑那州的沙漠里才能痊愈 天啊,真神奇
And he must recover over the desert air of Arizona.
-不过斯蒂芬森会跟他一起去,他看起来像乔.维尔奇呢 -对啊
– But Stevens is going after him and it looks like Joe Welch. – Yeah.
-他们允许双方都传召证人… -太好了,我赞成
They’re gonna allow each side to call witnesses…
…以及私下作证
…and be privy to other testimony.
-嗨,佛瑞德,我会来之后还有个会要开 -我们会跟汤普森谈谈
– Fred, we still have a meeting! – We’re gonna go to talk to Thompson.
不用了,谢谢,杰克,再见
No, thanks, Jack. Bye.
噢,佛瑞德,我们节目很受欢迎呢 (收视率)跟〈胡迪.都迪〉差不多
Freddy, we’re a hit. Right up there with “Howdy Dowdy”!
我能打下外线吗?
Can I have an outlet satellite, please?
-请播外线 没错,74,76…
– 74, 76, 47. Thank you. – Murrayville 3, 1-2-7-6.
丹.霍伦贝克昨天自杀的消息…
The fact of newscaster Don Hollenbeck’s suicide yesterday…
也不能从历史中消去那段…
…does not remove from the record that peculiar history…
带有左倾性质的新闻报道的记录,而这种做法♥正♥是CBS所一直纵容的…
…of the leftist slanting of news indulged consistently by the CBS.
霍伦贝克是CBS最聪明的学生之一…
Hollenbeck was what most astute students of CBS’s strange…
用奇特而又值得怀疑的新方法来报道新闻…
…and questionable new methods considered…
这也似乎是该公♥司♥广播员工的普遍特征,杰克.奥布赖恩报道
…”typical of its newscasters”. By Jack O’Brian.
噢,我喜欢它,喜欢这样子
Oh, yeah. I like it like that.
我听过最好的节目之一便是“CBS看新闻”
One of the best programs I ever heard was called “CBS Views The Press”.
许多人都喜欢,也有的人不喜欢
A great many people liked it, some didn’t…
但是所有人都只能用诚实来描述这件事情
…but no one ever called it anything but honest.
这是一位诚实的新闻报道者做出的成果,丹.霍伦贝克
It was the work of an honest reporter. Don Hollenbeck.
他也会偶尔客串〈眼见为实〉
He also worked occasionally on “See It Now”.
他也为电台做十一点新闻
He did the 11 p.m. News over some of these stations.
他最近一直身体不适,与今晨去世
He had been sick lately and he died this morning.
警♥察♥认为是用瓦斯自杀的
The police said it was suicide… gas.
不太像篇讣告
Not much of an obit.
不过至少告诉我们发生了什么,也够简短
But, at least we got our facts straight, and it was brief.
这也是丹.霍伦贝克的唯一要求吧
And that’s all Don Hollenbeck would have asked.
晚安,好运
Good night, and good luck.
今天早上就到费城了
Got to be in Philadelphia this morning.
你的火车几点?
What time is your train?
8点
8:00.
查理跟你一起去?
– Charlie going with you? – Uh-huh.
我忽然想到…
Here’s a thought.
如果我们错了怎么办?
What if we’re wrong?
我们错不了的
We’re not wrong.
我们不会回过头…
We’re not going to look back…
…说我们保护了错误的对象
…and say we protected the wrong side?
保护他们什么?
Protected them from what?
以什么名义?我们要保护什么?
In the name of what? What would we be preserving?
我们的意见也许能带来很大的好处
Argument could be made, “for the greater good”.
但一旦完全放弃,就一无是处了
Not once you give it all away. It’s no good then.
想想而已
It’s just a thought.
-我们能否停止谈论这件事? -让我说完,我们知道他是律师行会的
Senator, may we not drop this? We know he belonged to the Lawyer’s Guild.
科恩先生也对我点头了
And Mr. Cohn nods his head at me.
我想我应该没有对你 个人造成任何上海吧,科恩先生
– I did you, I think, no personal injury, Mr. Cohn. – No, sir.
-我无意伤害你 -不
– I meant to do you no personal injury. – No.
如果我真的伤害了你,请你原谅
And if I did, I beg your pardon.
我们别再陷害这位兄台了,参议员,够了,够了
Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You’ve done enough.
你知不知廉耻啊,先生?
– Let’s… let’s… – Have you no sense of decency, sir?
说到底,你是不是早已恬不知耻了啊?
At long last, have you left no sense of decency?
-这…我知道这会伤害到你,维尔奇先生 -参议员,我想这也伤害了你,先生
– I know this hurts you, Mr. Welch. – Senator, I think it hurts you, too.
-我要说完我的话 -当你起誓要说出真♥相♥之全部的时候
– I’d like to finish this. – Have you some private reservation…
假如你正是那位要听取证词的法官…
…when you take the oath that you will tell the whole truth…
心里会否持有一点保留态度?
…that lets you be the judge of what you will testify to?
我的回答是,对于说出真♥相♥之全部… 我没有任何保留
The answer is there’s no reservation about telling the whole truth.
谢谢你,先生。接着,告诉我们是谁把文件送给你?
Thank you, sir. Then tell us who delivered the documents to you!
我的意思不是说这种新方式不好(电台声音)
I don’t want to mean that this new fashion is not chic.
-我想只是对我不太管用 -说的不是你
– I think it’s just no good for me. – Uh, not for you.
米尔考,关于这个有什么要说的吗?
Milko, anything you care to say on that subject?
我想,没有了
I think no comment.
-肯定在这 -找不到我就没法写了
It’s got to be there. If you can’t find it, I can’t write about it.
-再找找吧 -查理说他顺路放这儿了
– Check again. – Charlie said he dropped it off.
-查理说他放这儿了… -雪莉,能跟你说两句吗?
– Charlie said he dropped… – Shirley, can I see you a minute?
-我会打电♥话♥给你的 -乔…
– I got to call you back. – Joe!
你也是
You, too.
关门,请进
Close the door.
请坐
Have a seat.
-你好吗? -很好,谢谢 -史维.嗯
– How are you? – Fine, thank you. – Swell. Yeah.
你们倆都很清楚CBS有一项政策…
Uh, you both are aware that there’s a policy at CBS…
…两名员工不能结婚
…that no two employees can be married.
我想问你们两个一个问题,但不希望你们回答
I want to ask you a question, but I don’t want you to answer it.
只是让你们好好考虑
I want you to consider it.
我知道你们倆结婚了
I know you two are married.
个个都知道
Everyone knows.
这不是我要问的问题
That’s not my question.
接下来几周,我要解雇几个人
In the next few weeks I have to lay off a couple of people.
董事会正大幅削减开销
We’re making some significant cuts across the board.
告诉你史想让你知道
I wanted you to know that…
你能够让其他人免受解雇
…because you could save someone else being fired.
我希望你们能考虑做出痛快的决定
I’m asking you to consider making this decision a little easier.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!