…Lieutenant Radulovich in the United States Air Force. Stop.
在我看来,他并不危害国♥家♥安♥全♥,句号♥
He is not, in my opinion, a security risk. Full stop.
有你的,哈罗德.塔尔博特,空军部长哦!
There you go. Harold E. Talbott, Secretary from the Air Force.
干得好
Great job!
-复印一份给我吧? -我帮你,佛瑞德
– Make a copy of that for me! – I will do, Fred!
-大家工作吧 -干得好,丹
Back to work, guys! We got a lot of work to do.
有点意思了
This means something.
-好消息,不是吗? -恭喜你
– Good news, huh? – Congratulations!
-绝对,有好戏看了 -我的意思是,这绝对是个开始…
– This absolutely means something. – Absolutely. This is the start of…
帕默?
Palmer!
CBS的律师们想见见你
The CBS lawyers wanna talk to you.
-什么时候? -明天
-When? -Tomorrow.
别想太多,每个人都要去呢
I don’t want you to get paranoid, they’re talking to everybody.
怎么回事?
Any ideas?
知道什么说什么就是了
Just tell them what you know.
-来,那份证词是真的吗? -不,不是真的
– Now is that testimony true? – No, sir, it is not.
我从未当过共♥产♥党员
Not at any time have I been a member of the Communist Party…
也从未看过共♥产♥党的宣传
…and I have never seen a Communist card.
-没有看过? -是的
– You’ve never seen a Communist card? – That’s right.
那有没有参加过什么会议
Have you ever attended any Communist meetings?
没有的,先生,从来没有
No, sir, never.
那你有没有订阅过〈工人日报〉
Have you ever subscribed to The Daily Worker?
没有,我没有订过,也不会付钱
No, sir. I didn’t subscribe to it and I wouldn’t pay for it.
但是,马克沃德太太 从前为联邦调查局工作时
Uh… Now, Mrs. Markward, who was working for the FBI…
曾奉命加入共♥产♥党
…who joined the Communist Party under orders from the FBI…
她证实虽从未在共♥产♥党会议上见过你
…has testified that while she never met you personally…
但你的名字确实出现在…
…at a Communist meeting that your name was on the list…
交纳党费的名单上
…of Communists who were paying dues.
你怎么解释这件事?
Uh… Can you shed any light upon that?
我没法解释,先生 我甚至不知道党费是多少…
No, sir. I don’t even know what the dues are…
还有去哪里交费 -你是说你从未交过钱
…or where they were paid. – So you have never paid any money…
给共♥产♥党…
…to the Communist Party.
-对吗? -没错
– Is that correct? – That’s right.
-你从未向任何人交纳任何费用… -谢谢你,里奥,非常谢谢你
You’ve never paid any dues, payment… -Thank you very much, Leo!
干得好,乔,查理
Good work, Joe, Charlie.
节目主题定为什么呢?
Now what is the show?
是要反 驳安妮.李.莫斯不是个共♥产♥党员吗?
Is it defending Annie Lee Moss as not being a Communist?
还是聚焦宪法赋予她的权利
– Or is it her Constitutional rights? – Both. – The latter.
我们最好抓住宪法问题
We’re much better sticking out the Constitutional issues.
-同意? -那个女人不是共♥产♥党的间谍
– Agreed? – The woman is not a Communist spy.
乔.麦卡锡说国防部有间谍
Joe McCarthy said that they have a spy in the Pentagon…
而那个进入了密♥码♥室的间谍
…that spy has gotten into the code room…
正是安妮.李.莫斯
…and that that spy is Annie Lee Moss.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥报道 “麦卡锡坚称,
I’ve got New York Times reports. McCarthy asserts he has…
红色分子已经渗入军队…”
…a new red link to Army. Quote, “Senator McCarthy charged today…”
他指控军队雇用了在密♥码♥室雇佣了一个…
“…that the Army now employs a woman in its code room…”
很可能仍旧活跃的共♥产♥分子,完毕
“…who was, and still may be, an active Communist.”
纽♥约♥时♥报♥头版
It’s the front page of the New York Times.
一动其他委员会成员,他就完蛋了
No sooner is he done chastising the other committee members for wanting…
他想拖到下午,接着呢?问了七个问题,
…to push into the afternoon, than what? Seven questions in…
他就灰溜溜地跑了… -只留下他的爪牙
…he ducks out, leaves… – Right.
-他走了 -全国各地的报纸头版都报道了这件事
– He leaves. – It’s all over the headlines, all over the country.
埃迪,把所有报纸关于这件事的报道
Get me copies from any newspaper…
都给我复印一份吧
…that printed anything about that assertion.
-一定 -〈西西那提调查〉
That’s a good idea. You should get the Cincinnati Inquirer.
-芝加哥,全国各地的都要 -为节目准备一沓吧
– Chicago. – Couple other pieces I think we should include.
还有些别的… 书里有三个安妮.李.莫斯…
The fact that there’s 3 Annie Lee Moss’s in the phone book.
两个罗伯特.霍尔斯,一个是白人另一个不是
There are 2 Robert Halls, one’s colored, one’s white.
查理说我们拍了那个空座位的镜头,
We have some footage of the empty chair.
足够说明一切,拍得好就从麦卡锡…
I think that says it all. Just that picture of McCarthy not…
…第七个问题之后离座那里开始
McCarthy leaving the hearing after 7 questions…
然后转到上空座位的镜头
…and then we’ll cut to the shot of the chair.
-我们得做好点 -好的,这样的话…
– We gotta do something about it. – All right, so…
打扰一下,莫罗先生,麦卡锡想要4月6日
Excuse me. Mr. Murrow! McCarthy wants April 6th.
谢谢你,纳塔莉
Thank you, Natalie.
如果查理负责拍摄 我们就可以先睹为快了,问问吧
Fine. If Charlie shoots it, we get to see it first. We should offer.
-肯定拍很久 -谁知道麦卡锡会做出什么事情来?
– It’s a long shot. – What the hell could McCarthy do?
他想自己跟自己辩论吗? 我们用的是他自己的话
他怎么能呢?我们用的是原始的记录
Is he gonna debate himself? We just used his words!
尊尼…我们知道他要干嘛了
Johnny! Johnny! We know what it’s going to be.
他要被我牵着鼻子走,他别无选择了
He’s going to come after me. There’s nothing more he can do.
他认为参议员必定会胜过新闻记者呢
He’s gonna bet that a Senator trumps a newsman.
他输定了
He’ll lose.
就算跟我们玩桥牌,他也赢不了
Not if we’re playing bridge.
对不起,大伙儿.我无心打断大家. 嗨,丹
– I’m sorry, guys. I didn’t mean to interrupt. – Hey, Don.
-越来越有意思了… -爱德华,你有时间吗?
– It’s getting fun now! – Ed, you have a minute?
-有的,丹,我很快过来 -好了,伙计们,玩够了
– Yes, I’ll be right there. – All right, boys. Playtime’s over.
-我们还有四天…
We have 4 days…
-就要做一个28分钟的节目了 -对不起
…to do a 28 minute show. – Yeah. – All right.
没关系,爱德华。你好,玛丽
All right, go ahead. Hi, Mary.
你好,霍伦贝克先生,莫罗先生
Hello, Mr. Hollenbeck. Mr. Murrow…
-能让我们单独呆会儿吗? -当然
– Could you give us a moment? – Sure.
谢谢你,亲爱的,谢谢
Thank you, dear.
我有话要问你,爱德华 是关于奥布赖恩的
I have to ask you something, Ed. It’s about O’Brian.
-奥布赖恩不要紧的 -他烦死我了
– O’Brian doesn’t matter. – He’s killing me, Ed.
-它又不代表大多数 -不,单单他就够了
He doesn’t amount to that much in the newsroom.
-由得他吧 -我们不需理会奥布赖恩
We’ve got to let that guy have it.
我不会与麦卡锡和赫斯特作对…
We’re not going after O’Brian. I will not take on McCarthy and Hearst.
我门不过他们倆
I can’t defeat them both.
不要读报纸就是了,或者不读奥布赖恩也行
Just don’t read the papers. Or don’t read O’Brian, anyway.
好吧,我还是觉得不行
Okay. I guess not.
对不起,丹
Sorry, Don.
-尽管莫斯小姐自愿出庭作证… -南达科达州的孟德特参议员,以及…
Although Mrs. Moss offered to testify…
参议员麦卡锡都提出她身体太差,不宜作证
…Senator McCarthy suggested that she was too sick.
-她也同意了… -科恩先生很想知道莫斯太太跟…
– She agreed… – Mr. Cohn wanted to know about Mrs. Moss’s connection…
请你发誓句句属实,并无虚言
…to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth…
愿上帝帮助你
…so help you God?
请问您的全名以作会议记录
May we get your full name for the record, please?
安妮.李.莫斯
Annie Lee Moss.
-M-O-S-S? -对
– M-O-S-S? – That’s right.
莫斯太太,为方便会议记录,也为方便你和你的律师…
Mrs. Moss, let me say for the record, for your information…
我愿澄清一点…
…for the information of your counsel…
你出庭并非因为…
…that you are not here because…
你被认为是个重要的共♥产♥分子
…you are considered important in the Communist apparatus.
有证据显示您是…曾是个共♥产♥党员
We have the testimony that you are, and have been, a Communist.
我们感到非常好奇的是…
We are rather curious, however, to know how you suddenly…
您如何忽然从一个咖啡馆的员工…
…were shifted from…
变成密♥码♥室的一员
…a worker in a cafeteria to the code room.
换句话说,今天我们更感兴趣的是…
I am today much more interested…
在你幕后操纵的上司…
…in the handling of your case…
而并非你个人的行为
…by your superiors than in your own personal activities.
不过,委员会也会就你个人活动发问
However, counsel will question you about your own activities also.
-主席先生? -我们不允许辩护律师发言
– Mr. Chairman! – We will not hear from counsel.
规矩已经告诉过你了
You have been told what the rule is.
如果你要说什么,就通过你当事人来说吧
If you have anything to say, say it through your client.
你是否于1945年开始在会计总部工作
Chairman. Did you begin work at the General Accounting Office in 1945?
是的,先生
Yes, sir.
在那之前你在咖啡馆工作过吗?
And, prior to that time, had you been a cafeteria worker?
是的,工作过,先生
Yes, I had.
自1980年,在国防部
I see. While in the Pentagon, since 1950…
你跟加密信息有过任何联♥系♥吗?
…have you had any connections with coded messages?
你有没有经手过加密信息
Have you ever handled coded messages?
-只传送过 -什么?
– No more than to transmit ’em. – Pardon me?
只传送过信息
No more than to transmit the message.
传送信息?你懂得传送密♥码♥?
Than to transmit them? Did you transmit codes?
接收和传送消息是我的工作啊
To receive or transmit messages was all I had to do.
还有法庭,我一辈子都没进过法庭
And I’ve never been into a courtroom in my life.
你知道分类方法吗?
Do you know the type of classification…
-例如是机密,高度机密还是完全保密吗? -不知道,先生
– Do you know if they were secret, top secret, confidential? – No, sir.
-换而言之,你就不知道分类方法咯? -是的,先生
– You wouldn’t know the degree of classification? – No, sir.
明白了
I see.