You know the Civil Liberties Union has been listed…
被列为一个反♥共♥门争前线吗?
…as a front for and doing the work of the Communist Party?
主席先生,那是1932年的事了
Mr. Chairman, this was 1932!
我知道是1932年列入的
I know this was in 1932.
你是否知道它从那时起
Do you know that they since have been listed…
一直从事共♥党♥工作,被列为反♥共♥门争前线吗?
…as a front for and doing the work of the Communist Party?
我不知道它一直是
I do not know that they have been listed so, sir.
-你不知道吗? -我听说过…
– You don’t know? – I have heard that mentioned…
好了,关上吧
All right, Leo. Turn it off.
-我要三卷史蒂文森的录音带在结尾放 -有人读过这本书吗?
– I need those three cans of Stevens! – Has anybody read this book yet?
如果这人不是共♥产♥主义者,书还真不错
It would be nice if this guy isn’t a Commie.
-是米莉给你的吗? -我想读读
– Did Millie give it to you? – I wanna read the book.
-没别人 -我听到了
– Nobody else, Joe. – I hear you, boss.
-弄好了 -我会在电视上把它放出来
I’ll put it on a kinescope, push through the end.
帕默,两点半剪辑它一下
Palmer, cut it at 2:30.
我觉得开头结尾各一段更好,更有力量
I prefer it one on each end, let it run through.
剪掉肯尼迪这段吗?剪短就行了
It’d be more powerful. Cut Kennedy?
乔,帮我归下档,等会我要看蒙德特那段
Joe, file it for me. I’ll see the Mundt piece later.
我们能弄好吗,佛瑞德?
Are we gonna make it, Fred?
我们失去了段影片,但还是能做好它
We lost the telecine, but we’ll make it.
你写完结束词了吗?
Did you finish your closing piece?
我准备引用莎士比亚的诗句结尾
It’s Shakespeare.
写你的结束词吧
Write your closing.
我觉得把麦卡锡搬上荧幕无关紧要
My argument was if you just show the images of McCarthy it doesn’t make any difference.
如果你跟他证件一致 你会讨厌这节目,
If you agree with him, you’re gonna hate the piece.
反之就会喜欢
If you don’t, you’ll love it.
也许他们该等到有更多影片资料的时候再播
Maybe they should wait till they get more footage.
我们不能冒这个险
I don’t think we can take that chance.
我们必须在麦卡锡对付爱德前重创他
We’ve got to hit McCarthy before he comes after Ed.
蓝色那条,他们还没对付奥尔索普(时报记者) 和赫伯.布罗克(华♥盛♥顿♥邮♥报♥主席)呢
The blue one. They haven’t gone after the Alsops or Herb Block.
亲爱的,奥尔索普和布罗克…
Honey, the Alsops and Herb Block…
可没有在1934年为国际教育机构工作
…didn’t work for the Institute of International Education in 1934.
这样的话我想现在播是对的
Then I guess it’s time.
你担心了?
You worried?
我本不觉得什么的
I didn’t think I was.
不知道为什么,星期五我在办公室
I don’t know why. I was in the office on Friday.
接到霍华德从伦敦打来的电♥话♥
And I answered the phone, it was Howard calling from London.
他问麦卡锡的事情怎么样了
And he asked what was going on with McCarthy.
我回答他之前
And before I answered him, I turned and looked over my shoulder…
回头张望有没有人在偷听 -谁在偷听?
…to see who was listening. – And who was listening?
毛主席
Chairman Mao…
办公室见
I’ll see you at the office.
喂,你的戒指
– Hey, your ring! – Uh!
你说还有谁
Name me another wife…
要提醒自己的丈夫…
…who reminds her husband to take off his wedding ring…
…带婚戒去上班? -阿娃.加德纳
…before he goes to the office. – Ava Gardner.
打扰了,芬德尼先生,莫罗先生,佩利先生请你接电♥话♥
Excuse me, Mr. Friendly. Mr. Murrow, Mr. Paley’s on the line for you.
-也许他想还我们那些广♥告♥费 -你想得美
– Maybe he wants to reimburse us for those ads. – You’d like that!
-我是想得美 -我是爱德
– I would like that! – This is Ed.
今晚有一场荷蘭籍纽约人球赛,我拿到了前排的票
There’s a Knickerbocker game tonight. I’ve got front row seats.
你有兴趣吗?
Are you interested?
比尔,今晚我要忙着播节目
I’m busy bringing down the network tonight, Bill.
是今晚吗?
Is that tonight?
我们已经弄完了,比尔
We’re covered, Bill.
好的
All right.
-爱德,现在以及将来,我都与你同在 -谢谢你,比尔
– I’m with you today, Ed, and I’m with you tomorrow. – Thanks, Bill.
-十秒后入广♥告♥ -你知道开头部分的时间安排吗?
Do you know the timing on the first piece?
我们要一直接通电♥话♥吗?
Can we hold all the calls, please?
是的,知道节目结束,谢谢
Hold the calls till after the show. Thank you.
-伙计们,还醒着吧? -好
– You fellas, awake down there? – Okay.
-还有多久,20秒? -30秒,爱德
– Just… what are we? 20? – 30 seconds, Ed.
十秒
10 seconds.
五,四,三,二
5, 4, 3, 2.
一号♥摄像机开播
And pan, camera one.
由于关于麦卡锡参议员的报告极具争议性
Because a report on Senator McCarthy is by definition controversial…
我们要说的正是我们想说的
…we want to say exactly what we mean to say…
并恳请您的许可我在此读出
…and request your permission to read from a script…
莫罗和芬德尼所做的评论
…whatever remarks Murrow and Friendly may make.
如果参议员感到我们曲解了他的言辞 损害了他的形象
If the Senator feels that we have done violence to his words or pictures…
并希望亲自为自己辩护
…and desires to answer himself…
我们乐意安排他上这个节目
…an opportunity will be afforded him on this program.
今晚的主题是如下引语:
Our working thesis tonight is this quotation:
如果这场针对共♥产♥主义的门争…
…”If this fight against Communism…”
演变成美国两大党之间的门争…
“…has made a fight between America’s two great political parties…”
美国人♥民♥清楚其中一♥党♥会被毁灭…
“…the American people know that one of these parties will be destroyed…”
而在一♥党♥制体制下,共和国无法长存
“…and the Republic cannot endure very long as a one-party system.”
我们赞同这个观点
We applaud that statement…
并认为麦卡锡参议员也应如此
…and we think Senator McCarthy ought to.
他17个月前于密尔沃基发表了以上言论
He said it 17 months ago in Milwaukee.
美国人♥民♥意识到这不能演变成为…
The American people realize that this cannot be made a fight…
美国两大政党间的门争
…between America’s two great political parties.
如果这场针对共♥产♥主义的门争…
If this fight against Communism…
演变成美国两大党之间的门争…
…is made a fight against America’s two great political parties…
人们清楚其中一♥党♥会被毁灭…
…the American people know that one of those parties will be destroyed…
而在一♥党♥制体制下,共和国无法长存
…and the Republic can’t endure very long as a one-party system.
参议员始终坚持了一件事
On one thing the Senator has been consistent.
身为“一人委员会”全体会员,他云游四方,
Often operating as a one-man committee, he has traveled far…
会见了许多人,恐吓了一些人
…interviewed many, terrorized some…
控告了那些现已卸任的政♥府♥和军方领袖
…accused civilian and military leaders of the past administration of a great conspiracy…
企图合谋把美国变成共♥产♥主义国家
…to turn over the country to Communism.
我得承认,在听说史蒂文斯部长 对两位军方官员说
I was extremely shocked when I heard that Secretary Stevens…
他们必须帮着包庇那些 被提携受宠爱的共♥产♥分子时
…told 2 Army officers that they had to take part in the cover up…
我感到非常震惊
…of those who promoted and coddled Communists.
我读他的陈词时
As I read his statement, I…
不禁想到一句话,“我们的恺撒大帝…
…thought of that quotation, “On what meat…”
…是吃什么肉长大的?”(后半句是“让他长得如此伟大?”此处为反讽)
“…doth this our Caesar feed?”.
问题是,
The questions is:
民权联盟是否为你提供了律师?
…did the Civil Liberties Union supply you with an attorney?
-他们派来了一位律师 -答案为“是”罗?
– They did supply an attorney. – The answer is yes?
答案为“是”
The answer is yes.
你认不认为这本书因为其中的观点和措词
Do you think this book did considerable harm?
发行后
Its publication…
对公众的危害相当大
…by an expression of the views contained in it?
这本书的销♥售♥量极小,
The sale of that book was so abysmally small…
它那么不成功,影响力实在值得怀疑
…it was so unsuccessful, that the question of its influence…
你可以去问问出版商
You can go back to the publisher…
你会发现这书是他发行的最不成功的书之一
…you’ll see it was one of the most unsuccessful books he ever put out.
他跟我一样,现在都还在为这事难过呢
He’s still sorry about it, just as I am.
我说,我要把这话当成
Well, I think that’s a compliment to American intelligence.
对美国人智慧的表扬
I’ll say that.
里德.哈里斯听证会 表现了参议员的一项技巧
The Reed Harris hearing demonstrates one of the Senator’s techniques.
他两次提到
Twice he said…
“民权联盟被列为是颠覆性阵线”
…”The American Civil Liberties Union was listed as a subversive front.”
首席检察官的名单上从来没有
The Attorney General’s list does not and never has listed…
把民权联盟归为颠覆性组织,联邦调查局
…the ACLU as subversive, nor does the FBI…
以及其它政♥府♥部门也没有
…or any other federal government agency.
而且美国民权联盟保存的文件里
And the American Civil Liberties Union holds in its files…
还有来自杜鲁门总统
…letters of commendation from President Truman…
艾森豪威尔总统,及麦克阿瑟将军的表扬信
…President Eisenhower, and General MacArthur.
此前,参议员问道,“我们的恺撒大帝是吃什么肉长大的呀?”
Earlier, the Senator asked, “Upon what meat does this our Caesar feed?”.
如果他在莎士比亚的〈恺撒〉中向前看3行
Had he looked three lines earlier in Shakespeare’s “Caesar”…
他就会找到并非完全不适用的一句诗:
…he would have found this line, which is not altogether inappropriate.
亲爱的布鲁特斯 错处不在命运,而在于我们自己
“The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”
任何熟悉本国历史的人
No one familiar with the history of this country…
都清楚国会委员会是有用的
…can deny that Congressional committees are useful.
立法前必须要做相关调查
It is necessary to investigate before legislating…
但调查与迫♥害♥间的界限是很细的
…but the line between investigating and persecuting is a very fine one…
而这位威斯康星州的参议员 已多次踩过这条界限
…and the junior Senator from Wisconsin has stepped over it repeatedly.
我们不应把意见相左当成背信弃义
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
我们应该永远记住指控不等于事实
We must remember always that accusation is not proof…
只有通过合法途径提出证据才能定罪