-有脑子的人都不会读他的东西 -你读了
– Nobody worth their salt reads him. – You read him.
我认错
Well, see, I rest my case.
-佩利读了他的东西吗? -比尔.佩利不会对你怎么样的,唐
– Does Paley read him? – Bill Paley’s not gonna do anything.
谢谢,爱德
Thanks, Ed.
哦,我是过来跟你说 你做的上尉的那节目棒极了
I just came by to tell you how great the Lieutenant piece was.
-反乡如何 -出人意料地,大部分是正面反应
– Thanks. – How’s the fallout? – Mostly good, surprisingly.
这是个开端吗? 你准备放弃中立,选个立场了吗?
Is this the start? Are you taking sides?
我只是投石入水,看看反应
It’s just a little poke with a stick, see what happens.
我有什么可以帮忙的,尽管吩咐
You let me know if I can help.
但你是左倾分子,唐
But you’re a pinko.
我会留意你的消息的,爱德
I’ll see you.
乔,你做了什么 〈红色恐怖倾向〉的垃圾节目啊?
Hey, Joe! What’s all this Radulovich junk you’re putting out?
唐,我现在没时间说这个 我得把这录影带送到纽约去
I can’t talk to you now. I have to get this film back to New York.
如果我告诉你
What would you say if I told you…
莫罗1935年从苏联拿工资,你怎么看?
…that Murrow was on the Soviet payroll in 1935?
-查理,你要…? -当然,我会在外面装好装备
– Uh! Charlie, you wanna… – Sure. I’ll set up outside.
麦卡锡要去赴艾森豪威尔的晚宴吗?
McCarthy going to the Eisenhower dinner?
-不知道,我这没有他的日程表 -是吗?
– I have no idea. I don’t keep the Senator’s calendar for him! – Really?
唐,没看过侦探片啊? 你不该递给我一份机密文件夹
Have you ever seen any spy films? You don’t hand me a classified folder!
你该把它偷偷塞到我的公文包里
You’re supposed to slip it into my briefcase!
我不知道该把这消息给谁,佩利还是莫罗
I didn’t know who to give this information to, Paley or Murrow.
你知道,佛瑞德和我并不友好,我没在说双关语
(佛瑞德的姓芬德尼与单词“友好”同音)
As you can imagine, Fred and I aren’t very friendly. No pun intended.
你不在嚷嚷双关语
No pun elocuted.
-你收到什么消息? -简单来说
– What do you got, Donald? – In short?
莫罗自30年代以来 就是一个共♥产♥分子的同情者
Murrow’s been a Communist sympathizer since the 1930’s.
他是间谍,曾获得去莫斯科的旅行资助
Member of the International Workers, sponsored educational trips to Moscow…
他还在1935年苏联的工资帐单上榜上有名 这里都写清楚了
…and on the Soviet payroll in 1935. It’s all there.
你知道这为什么是不可能的吗?
You wanna know why that’s not possible?
你为什么注定会输吗,唐纳德?
Why you’ll lose this one?
因为我们国家里每个人都知道
Because everyone in this country…
莫罗是个忠诚的美国人,他是位爱国者
knows that Ed Murrow is a loyal American, he’s a patriot.
你知道字典里“好骗”这个词是什么意思吗?
Did you know the word “gullible” isn’t in the dictionary?
-我能把这个拿给他吗? -当然,我有备份
– Can I give this to him? – I’d love it! I have copies!
我觉得你们太过分了
I think you guys go too far.
如果走起路来像鸭子,叫起来也像是鸭子…
Well, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.
好的,佩利先生
Yes, Mr. Paley.
马上,好的,先生
Right away. Yes, sir.
他还没打电♥话♥过来
No, he hasn’t called.
好的,他一打过来,我就… 如果你正在开会呢?
Yes, sir, the second he calls. If you’re in a meeting, shall I?
是,先生,当然
Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
莫罗先生,
Mr. Murrow!
佩利先生现在可以见你了
Mr. Paley will see you now.
-佩利先生,莫罗先生在这 -谢谢,玛丽小姐
– Mr. Paley, Mr. Murrow is here. – Thanks, Miss Mary.
-爱德,你好 -比尔 -请坐
– Hello, Ed. – Bill… – Sit over here, will you?
珍妮特还好吧?
How’s Janet?
-你儿子呢? -都好,谢谢,你太太怎么样?
– Your son? – All well, thanks. How’s Babe?
她还好,她的集资被认定有共♥产♥倾向,所以
She’s fine. Her fundraiser got rained on, so…
-所以我从不多做计划 -真的吗?
– Oh! That’s why I never plan on anything. – Really?
世事无常嘛
You’d never know.
在看虚构小说?
Reading fiction?
但愿是虚构的
I hope so. You tell me.
现在我们知道他们要怎么攻击我们了
Now we know how they’re gonna come at us.
这还只是头阵,会有人下来调查
That’s just the first shot. Somebody’s going to go down.
你查过自己的情况了吗? 你肯定你能安全过关吗?
Have you checked your facts? Are you on safe ground?
-比尔,该摊我们的王牌了 -那是我的王牌,
– Bill, it’s time. Show our cards. – My cards.
你输了会怎么样?已经有五个人失业了
You lose, what happens? 5 guys find themselves out of work.
我要对远远不止五个该死的记者负责 让事情就此罢休
I’m responsible for a lot more than 5 goddamn reporters. Let it go.
麦卡锡一伙人会自取灭亡的
McCarthy will self-destruct, Cohn, all of them.
比尔,你说过机关不能干涉社论和新闻的
You said Corporate would not interfere with Editorial and that the News was to be left…
我们是负责报导新闻而不是制♥造♥新闻
We don’t make the news, we report the news.
他百分之九十九的时候都错了
99% of the time he’s wrong about those he’s marked as Communists.
如果他太过分,参议院会调查他
If he goes too far, the Senate will investigate him…
那时我们就可以报道了
…and we will report on that.
他践踏民众自♥由♥,他一直是错的
But he’s wrong 100% of the time when he oversteps people’s civil liberties.
你在新闻里指控他
And you’re trying him in the press?
他不也有直面指控者的权利吗?
Does he get the right to face his accuser?
你把你自己的见解当作事实播出来了
You’ve decided on this and you’re presenting it as fact.
-我给你发工资
– What I am doing… – I write your check.
供你买♥♥♥房♥♥,供你儿子上学
I put you in your country house, and I put your son through school!
你该在事态发展到这个地步之前跟我说一声
You should have told me about this before it went so far down the road!
你节目的每个工作人员都要清清白白,明白了吗?(跟共♥产♥分子)没有任何联♥系♥
Everyone of your boys needs to be clean. Do you understand? No ties.
如果亚伦的妈妈在1932年参加过集资 亚伦就必须离开你的节目
If Aaron’s mother went to a group fundraiser in 1932, he’s out.
威特也是,弄清楚你们那的每个人,别出错
Hewitt, too. Anyone in that room. You make no mistake…
我会让他们离开,机关不能干涉社论
…I will cut them loose. Corporate won’t interfere with Editorial.
不过社论不该把CBS的职员置于险地,
But Editorial will not jeopardize the hundreds of employees…
明白了吗?
…of the CBS. Do I make myself clear?
是我
Yes?
伙计们,我们下一次的主题是麦卡锡参议员
Fellas, our next show is gonna be about Senator McCarthy.
我们要直接针对他
And we’re gonna go right at him.
不必多说你们也知道我们要很小心
I don’t need to tell you how careful we have to be.
要做这个专题,我和爱德需要你们对我们坦白
If we are to do this, Ed and I need you to be straight with us.
为了这次专题
We need to know, for the good of the piece…
我们得知道你们跟共♥产♥分子有没有任何联♥系♥
…if any of you have any connection, if you subscribed to a newsletter…
如果你订阅了什么时事通讯 或参加了什么团体
…if you attended a party, anything…
或是有任何会危及到节目的事
…anything that could compromise this, anything at all…
请在现在告诉我们
…because now would be the time to tell us.
爱德,我想我不能做了
Ed, I think I should excuse myself.
帕默,你说真的吗?
Palmer, you kidding?
我的前妻…她不是共♥产♥主义者
My ex was a… I wouldn’t say she was a Communist…
但参加过一些他们的聚会,那是我们结婚前的事
…but she attended meetings. It was before we were married.
我们离婚后我才知道
I didn’t even really know about it until after the divorce.
但现在这对我的意义不同了,我们是一边的
But it was different then. We were all on the same side.
我说的话想必你们也明白
I’m not telling you anything you don’t know. The thing is…
会有人抓住我这把柄
…somebody’ll find out.
用它来伤害我们
They’ll hurt us with it.
我该早点告诉你们的,对不起,爱德
I should have told you sooner, Ed, I’m sorry.
佛瑞德
Fred.
哦,如果我们中没有人读过禁书
If none of us had ever read a “dangerous” book…
没有不同于常人的朋友
…or had a friend who was “different”…
没有参加过提倡改革的组织
…or never joined an organization that advocated “change”…
那我们就是乔.麦卡锡想要的那种人了
…we’d all be the kind of people Joe McCarthy wants.
我们做这节目就是因为 政♥治♥高压恐怖就在这个房♥中
We’re gonna go with the story, because the terror is in this room.
约翰,耶西,查查众议院 非美活动调查委员会听证会的情况
John! Jesse! Go through the HUAC hearings.
埃迪,帕默,注意采访和所有演说
Eddie! Palmer! Look at who did the interviews and any speeches.
好了,伙计们,开工
Okay, fellas, here we go.
我们需要他自己的言论
His own words, that’s what we need.
…说他不愿把那个显然是…
…said that he wouldn’t remove a General from the Army…
共♥产♥核心分子的军官开除出军队,我说
…who supported a Communist Major. I said, “Then, General…”
“那将军,你自己就该被免职”
“…you should be removed from any command.”
“任何人如果说…‘我要保护一个庇护共♥产♥分子的军官’”
“Any man who says, ‘I will protect and honor a General’…”
“那他就没资格穿上军装”
“…’who protects Communists’, is not fit to wear that uniform, General.”
好了,等一下,我们在道德上是正义的
Ethically, we’re fine.
但法律上 我们播出这段算不算泄漏闭门听证会的证词?
But legally, if we air this, are we leaking closed hearing testimony?
-他自己读了这话出来 -我们没有误引他的话
– But he chose to read it. – We’re not misquoting him.
还有别的记者会报道这个,我们是安全的 -如果要受到法律制裁,也该是他
– There are other reporters. – If it’s a legal issue, it’s his.
我会咨♥询♥一下法律专家
I’ll check with Campbell in Legal.
一直等到你听到我们滴血的心
And wait till you hear the bleeding hearts…
为我们企图找出真♥相♥的方法
…scream and cry about our methods…
尖叫哀鸣,我们想让…
…of trying to drag the truth…
那些知道或该知道谁包庇了…
…from those who know or should know…
共♥产♥死硬分子的人告诉我们真♥相♥
…who covered up a Fifth Amendment Communist Major.
但他们说:
But they say, “Oh…”
“可以告诉你他们是谁,但别苛刻他们”
“…it’s all right to uncover them, but don’t get rough doing it, McCarthy.”
民权联盟当时为你提供辩护律师了吗?
Did a Civil Liberties Union provide you with an attorney at that time?
很多人主动要做我的律师
I had many offers of attorneys…
其中有一个是民权联盟的 -我问的是,
…and from the American Civil Liberties Union, too. – The questions is:
民权联盟是否为你提供了律师
…did the Civil Liberties Union supply you with an attorney?
-他们派来了一位律师 -答案为“是”?
– They did supply an attorney. – The answer is yes?
答案为“是”
The answer is yes.
你知道民权联盟从事共♥党♥工作…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!