五,四,三,二…
5, 4, 3, 2.
一号♥摄像机开播
Pan, camera 1.
晚上好
Good evening.
几周前报纸上出现了几篇言辞含糊的报道
A few weeks ago there occurred a few obscure notices in the newspapers…
报道的对象是位叫
…about Milo Radulovich…
麦洛.拉丢勒比奇的空军上尉
…a lieutenant in the Air Force Reserves.
报道还跟空军法令第35-62条有关
And, also, something about Air Force regulation 35-62…
该法令声称如果某人跟共♥产♥分子
…which states that a man may be regarded as a security risk…
或同情共♥产♥主义的人有紧密联♥系♥
…if he has close and continuing association with Communists…
该人则可被视为危险分子
…or people believed to have Communist sympathies.
拉丢勒比奇上尉在8月被要求辞职,他拒绝了
Lieutenant Radulovich was asked to resign in August. He declined.
一个委员会为此被专门召集来听取他的案例
A board was called and heard his case.
最终建议是将他逐出空军
At the end it was recommended that he be severed from the Air Force…
虽然委员会同时声称他们对
…although it was also stated that there was no question whatever…
上尉的忠诚没有疑问
…as to the Lieutenant’s loyalty.
我们尽可能地
We propose to examine, in so far as we can…
对此案进行了调查
…the case of Lieutenant Radulovich.
请看记者乔.韦斯巴 以及摄影师查理.马克发回的报道
Our reporter, Joe Wershba, cameraman, Charlie Mack.
这里是密歇根州的德克斯特镇 这里有1500名居民
This is the town of Dexter, Michigan. Population 1500.
这一雕像是在安.阿波街街尾
This statue is at the end of Ann Arbor Street erected by…
昨天那个将军跟你说了些什么?
What did the General tell you yesterday?
-他是陆军上校,而且是两个人 -那就跟将军差不多
– A Colonel. There were two of them. – That makes a General.
他们不大高兴
They weren’t too pleased.
你今年会被审查的
You’re gonna get audited this year.
不是我,是你,我告诉他们我并不想做这次节目
Not me, you. I told them I didn’t want to do the story.
-你总那么胆怯 -比被扣上共♥党♥的帽子好
– You always were yellow. – Better than red.
还有十秒
In 10 seconds.
这是麦洛的姐姐 玛格丽特.拉丢勒比奇.菲什曼
This is the sister, Margaret Radulovich Fishman.
她并没有为她参加的政♥治♥活动做辩护或解释
She neither defends nor explains her political activities.
我觉得我参加的活动
I feel that my activities, be what they may…
或是我的政♥治♥信仰都是我个人的事
…or my political beliefs are my own private affair.
我的孩子们会被要求跟我划清界限吗?
Are my children going to be asked to denounce me?
他们会以他们的父亲被扣上的罪名 而被评判吗?
Are they going to be judged on what their father was labeled?
他们会不得不向他们的朋友们苦苦解释
Are they going to have to explain to their friends, etc…
为什么他们的父亲 是个危险分子之类的问题吗?
…why their father is a security risk?
如果这种事情
I see, absolutely, that this is a chain reaction.
像委员会的初次判决那样得到承认
If the thing is let stand as it, the first recommendation…
我可以预见这事会造成连锁反应
…was sent out by the board I see a chain reaction…
这连锁反应对任何人而言都永无休止
…that has no end to anybody, for anybody.
请允许我在节目结束前读出些话
Perhaps you will permit me to read a few sentences…
因为我想精确表达我的意思
…because I would like to say rather precisely what I mean.
我们已告知空军我们会提供便利,
We have told the Air Force that we will provide facilities…
方便人们就麦洛.拉丢勒比奇的案子
…for any comments, criticisms, or corrections it may wish to make…
做出评论或指正
…as to the case of Milo Radulovich.
我们无法评判加于 麦洛父亲和姐姐身上的罪名
We are unable to judge the charges against his father or sister…
因为无论是你我他,还是律师,
…because neither we, nor you, nor they, nor the lawyers…
甚至上尉本人,都不知道那个信封中装的到底是什么
…nor the Lieutenant, know what was contained in that manila envelope.
是道听途说,谣言,闲话,诽谤
Was it hearsay, rumor, gossip, slander…
还是某种可以被可靠证人驳斥的不确定事实?
…or hard ascertainable facts that could be backed by credible witnesses?
我们不知道
We do not know.
我们相信儿子不应承担其父的罪过
We believe the son shall not bear the iniquity of the father.
更何况本案中的父亲也无法被证明有罪
Even though that iniquity be proved and in this case it was not.
我们还相信本案证明军方急需更多作出说明
But we believe too that this case illustrates the urgent need…
让大众更好地理解那些
…for the Armed Forces to communicate more fully than they have so far done…
我们要遵守的,旨在保护
…the procedures and regulations to be followed…
国♥家♥安♥全♥以及个人♥权♥利
…in attempting to protect the national security…
的程序和规则
…and the rights of the individual at the same time.
在我们的土地上
Whatever happens in this area of the relationship…
无论个人与政♥府♥间发生了什么
…between the individual and the state…
我们都要自己解决
…we will do it ourselves…
而不能归罪于马林科夫或毛♥泽♥东♥ 甚至是我们的盟国
…it cannot be blamed on Malenkov or Mao Tse-Tung or even our allies.
这一点在我们看来 在我和佛瑞德.芬特尼看来
And, it seems to us, Fred Friendly and myself…
是该永恒讨论的话筒
…that this is a subject that should be argued about endlessly.
晚安,好运
Good night, and good luck.
完了
And we’re out.
您是〈人物访谈〉的听众朋友…
May I tell you something about yourself…
能让我告诉您一些与您相关的信息吗?
May I tell you something about yourself as a member of the “Person to Person” audience?
根据听众调查研究
Based on audience research studies…
您的智力和受教育程度远在平均水平以上
…you are well above average in education and intelligence.
您兴趣广泛,对世界大事,科技发展
Your interests are wide, from world affairs and science…
体育运动和演艺业都有关注
…to sports and show business.
此外,你们还有一项对我而言相当鼓舞的特性
And you have one characteristic that’s rather encouraging to me…
那就是你们不容易被广♥告♥所说服
…and that’s the fact that you are not easily persuaded by advertising.
肯特香烟的制♥造♥商考虑到这一切
The makers of Kent considered all these characteristics…
所以选择在莫罗先生的节目中
…when they chose Mr. Murrow’s program…
向您介绍肯特烟
…to tell you about Kent.
在所有过滤嘴香烟中肯特牌是最好了
Of all leading filter cigarettes, Kent filters best.
如果你记住这点来试试它
If you try Kent with that in mind, I think you’ll agree…
你会同意其他善于思考的朋友对它的肯定的
…with many other thinking people who have changed to Kent.
他们觉得抽肯特烟是理智的选择,也是口味的选择
They find that it makes good sense to smoke Kent and good smoking, too.
-将广♥告♥转到节目了吗?
– Did you get the changes? – Edward Murrow, “Person to Person” on the CBS Television Network.
-没有,你那怎么样了? -好,行了
No, no. You there? Okay. We got it.Now back to Ed Murrow.
自从无声电影问世,并随之产生了偶像以来
Not since the silent movies and the idols they produced…
好莱坞每天都上演着现在所示的追星历程
…has Hollywood witnessed the sort of pilgrimage that is now going on.
每天,无论天气 国际形式如何,在任何一个时间
Each day, oblivious to time, weather, and the state of the world…
都有观光客涌入加利福尼亚的圣费尔南多谷
…sightseers head in the direction of California’s San Fernando Valley.
因为那里住着谢尔曼.奥克斯
For there, at the end of the tourist line, is Sherman Oaks…
他为自己和母亲在那建了利伯瑞斯别♥墅♥
…and the home Liberace has built for himself and his mother.
这是房♥子的正面 没人知道有多少人见过这房♥子
This is the front and nobody knows how many people have seen that view.
这是房♥子背面,那是利伯瑞斯的卧房♥
This is the back of the house and that’s Liberace’s bedroom.
-晚上好,李 -晚上好,爱德
– Good evening, Lee. – Good evening, Ed.
-你在干什么? -我在口述我每周联合报上专栏的稿子
– What are you doing? – I’m dictating my weekly syndicated newspaper column…
我用录音机把稿子录下来,我也这样在口述一本书
…and on my trusty tape recorder here, I’m also dictating a book.
-一本给人启迪的书 -李,你呢
– It’s an inspirational book. – Lee, what about you?
你有没有常常考虑要准备结婚,安定下来呢?
Have you given much thought to getting married and settling down?
我常常想婚姻的事
Actually, I’ve given a lot of thought to it…
但我不会为了结婚而结婚
…but I don’t believe in getting married just for the sake of getting married.
我希望有一天我能找到我完美的伴侣
I want to some day find the perfect mate…
最终能跟她共结连理,互相信任
…and settle down to what I hope will be a marriage that will be blessed…
最后白头偕老
…by faith and will be a lasting union.
事实上我知道可爱的小公主玛格丽特
I was reading about lovely young Princess Margaret…
也在追寻梦中情人,
…and she’s looking for her dream man, too…
我希望她能找到他
…and I hope she finds him some day.
李,谢谢你让我们来拜访你
Uh-huh. Lee, thanks very much for letting us come and visit you.
我们感到非常愉快
It’s been very pleasant.
请带我们向你其他家人祝晚安
And will you say good night to your family for us?
-好的 -谢谢
– I certainly will. – Thanks a lot.
-晚安,爱德 -晚安,李
– Good night, Ed. – Good night, Lee.
下周我们将带您到加利福尼亚的贝弗利山
Next week, we’ll take you to Beverly Hills, California…
去拜访米基.鲁尼和他的新娘
…to the house of Mickey Rooney and his new bride.
晚安,好运
Until then, good night, and good luck.
节目很好,莫罗先生
Good show, Mr. Murrow!
莫罗先生,打扰一下,
Excuse me, Mr. Murrow.
您有空时能否看看这个并签了它?
Could you take a look at this and sign it for me, please?
还有斯坦顿博士想跟您共进晚餐
Thank you. Dr. Stanton would like to have a drink with you.
-什么时候? -现在,他在五角酒吧
– When? – Now. He’s at the Pentagon Bar.
我去不了,他在那里干嘛?
I can’t. What the hell is he doing there?
-我想他在等你 -嗯,打个电♥话♥给他,纳塔利
– I believe he’s waiting for you. – Just call him! – Fine.
-下周是奥本海默 -节目不错,爱德
– Oppenheimer next week. – It’s a good show, Ed.
-嗨,唐 -爱德
– Hey, Don! – Ed!
你越来越会做节目了,
You’re getting good at this!
他们会感到你喜欢这个
They’re gonna think you like it!
公♥司♥会因此付钱 唐,最近可好
Pays the bills. How are you, Don?
就在…
Ah, it’s…
混日子
…day to day.
如果你妻子看到你现在这么帅 肯定会回到你身边
If she saw how good you look right now, she’d be back.
如果你见到她,告诉她我帅了,好吗?
You tell her that if you see her, will you?
-我读了欧.布赖恩写的评论 -是的,那文章措词刻薄
– I read the O’Brian piece. – Yeah, it’s tough.
我是个左倾分子,我歪曲新闻
I’m a pinko. I slant the news.
我在等着他奚落我说连老婆都留不住
I’m just waiting for him to say my wife left me too.