我现在不要答案
I don’t need an answer now.
只是…想想就好
Just think about it.
好的
Good.
-噢,乔 -嗯?
– Well, Joe… – Well?
-我们一定会挂念你的. -嗯,我要收拾包袱了
– Sure we’re gonna miss you around here. – I’ll pack my things.
-我想只有最强者才能留下来吧 -嗯,早晚能看出来的
– I think it’s for the best. – We’ll find out!
沃什芭太太
Mrs. Wershba…
人尽皆知了
Everybody knew.
-纳特莉,他说了是为什么吗? -不,没有,莫罗先生
Natalie, did he say what it was about?
他只说要在办公室跟你谈谈
No. Just that he wanted to talk to you in his office.
喔哦
Uh-oh!
问题不仅在于你失掉了你的赞助商
The problem isn’t simply that you’ve lost your sponsor.
-虽有美国美铝公♥司♥的支持 但〈眼见为实〉仍然入不敷出 -佩利先生…
With Alcoa, “See It Now” still loses money.
经费是每集5万美金
The fee is 50,000 dollars.
而上周那集还只用了不到5万呢
Last week’s episode we did for less than 50,000 dollars.
你说得太离谱了,根本办不到
Fred, you’re speaking beyond your competence.
我们会找到别的赞助商,找个想要…
We’ll certainly find another sponsor.
“6万4千美金答问题” 那个节目找到了超过8万的赞助
“6♥4♥,000 Dollar Question” brings in over 80,000 in sponsors…
而他们的花费还只是你们的三分之一
…and it costs one-third of what you do.
爱德华,我已经策划好星期二的节目了 最重要的是
Ed, I’ve got Tuesday night programming that’s number one.
人们希望享受娱乐,而不是上公民教育课
People want to enjoy themselves. They don’t want a civics lesson.
-你想怎么样? -我不想要持续不断的胃痛
– What do you want, Bill? – I don’t want to get a stomachache…
每次你选择有争议性的问题时,我都会胃痛
…every time you take on a controversial subject.
恐怕这是你不得不付的代价
I’m afraid that’s the price you have to be willing to pay.
我们最好谨慎点度过接下来的时间
Let’s walk very carefully through these next few moments.
我们现在所做的节目内容…
The content of what we’re doing is more important…
-比起去说西西那提某些人的事情 显然更重要… -那是你做的,不是我
…than what some guy in Cincinnati… – It’s what you’re doing, Ed. Not me.
我说的不是弗蘭克.斯坦顿,正是你
Not Frank Stanton. You.
CBS新闻,“眼见为实”,都属于你,比尔
“CBS News”, “See It Now” all belong to you, Bill.
你不会知道的
You wouldn’t know it.
-你究竟想要什么?声望? -我从未审查过任何一个节目
– What is it you want? Credit? – I never censored a single program.
我紧紧抓住每一个 想从我们这里享受娱乐的人们
I hold on to affiliates who wanted entertainment from us.
为保留营业牌照…
I fight to keep the license…
我常与那些被你在节目里 指责的政客们周♥旋♥…
…with the very same politicians that you are bringing down…
而我从未…从未向你说过半个“不”字,从来没有
…and I never, never said no to you. Never.
我要指出我们都已经做得很好
I would argue that we have done very well by one another.
我要指出这个广播网的特征…
I would argue that this network…
是由新闻部的成就所决定的
…is defined by what the news department has accomplished.
我还要指出 从不说“不”字不等于从来没有审查
And I would also argue that never saying no is not the same as not censoring.
真的?你应该去教新闻学 你和芬特尼先生
Really? You should teach journalism. You and Mr. Friendly.
我想问你个问题:
Let me ask you this:
当麦卡锡说艾治.希斯被判叛国罪时…
…why didn’t you correct McCarthy…
你为何不纠正他?
…when he said that Alger Hiss was convicted of treason?
他只是被控作假证供 其他东西你都改了
He was only convicted of perjury. You corrected everything else.
你不想让人以为你在为一个共♥产♥党员辩护吗?
Did you not want the appearance of defending a known Communist?
我要指出,人人都有参与审查,包括你
I would argue that everyone censors, including you.
你想干什么,比尔?
What do you want to do, Bill?
你的节目长度将会减少半小时到一小时
I’m taking your program from a half an hour to an hour.
它也不再是每周一次的固定节目 也不会被安排在星期二晚
And it won’t be a weekly program and it won’t be Tuesday nights.
-改到什么时候 -星期天下午
– When would it be? – Sunday afternoons.
-多少集 -五集
– How many episodes? – 5.
你为什么不干脆解雇我,比尔?
Why don’t you just fire me, Bill?
我相信我们倆都不想这种事情发生
I don’t think it’s what either of us wants.
你欠我五场节目
You owe me 5 shows.
-你不会喜欢这样的主题的 -也许吧
– You won’t like the subject matter. – Probably not.
佛瑞德,你过来一下
Fred, I’ll need you for a moment.
-谢谢你,玛丽 -再见,芬德尼先生
– Thank you, Mary. – Goodbye, Mr. Friendly.
-他想要解雇一些人 -肯定是
– He wants me to lay a few people off. – I’m sure he does.
那我们第一次节目的主题 就做电视业的没落吧
Let’s do our first show about the downfall of television.
-参议院明天将会投票谴责麦卡锡 -很可能
– Senate’s gonna vote to censure McCarthy tomorrow. – Probably.
-之后会怎么样呢? -他会坐在后排 没错
– And then what happens? – He sits in the back row. – Right.
-他们将他留在参议院,没有赶他走 -对啊,他留下来了
– They keep him in the Senate. They don’t kick him out. – No, he stays.
噢,我们最好还是高兴点回去吧
Well, we might as well go down swinging.
米尔顿.伯利(电视界传奇人物) 是在美国最受信任的人,你知道吗?
Did you know the most trusted man in America is Milton Berle?
-明白吗?所以你该穿条裙子的 -它们让人看起来更高深
See, you should have worn a dress!
-苏格蘭威士忌怎么样? -不错
– How does a Scotch sound? – Scotch sounds good.
-我们为什么觉得自豪呢? -你知道乔和雪莉结婚了吗? -当然
– Did you know Joe and Shirley were married? – Sure.
-是人人都知道吗? -差不多了
– Did everyone know? – Pretty much.
我们觉得自豪…是因为自本国开国起…
We are proud because from the beginning of this nation…
人类便得以昂首挺胸地行走
…man can walk upright.
无论他或她是谁
No matter who he is or who she is.
他可以昂首挺胸地去见他的朋友或敌人
He can walk upright and meet his friend or his enemy.
完全不会害怕敌人…
And he does not fear that because that enemy…
…可能位高权重
…may be in a position of great power…
不会害怕自己会忽然被监禁…
…that he can be suddenly thrown in jail…
身陷囹圄而没有被审判也没有申辩的机会 求助无门
…to rot there without charges and with no recourse to justice.
我们拥有并且尊重〈人身保护♥法♥〉
We have the Habeas Corpus Act and we respect it.
我一开始就说过,我们的历史由我们自己创造
I began by saying that our history will be what we make it.
如果我们继续现在的做法…
If we go on as we are…
历史将会报复我们…
…then history will take its revenge, and retribution will not limp…
一切都无法弥补
…in catching up with us.
让我们偶尔强调一下思想与信息的重要性
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
让我们重温梦想吧,周日晚…
Let us dream to the extent of saying that on a given Sunday night…
通常由沙利文主持的节目…
…the time normally occupied by Ed Sullivan…
…已经换成对美国教育状况的剖析
…is given over to a clinical survey on the state of American education.
一周或两周后,通常由史蒂夫.艾伦主持的时间…
And a week or two later, the time normally used by Steve Allen…
会用于对美国对中东政策的彻底研究
…is devoted to a thorough-going study of American policy in the Middle East.
这两个节目各自赞助商的形象 会因此受到损害吗?
Would the corporate image of their respective sponsors be damaged?
股东们会拍案而起,忿忿不平吗?
Would the shareholders rise up in their wrath and complain?
唯一可能的后果只是几百万人…
Would anything happen…
都会受到这些主题的启发…
…other than a few million people would have received a little illumination…
从而影乡了国家的前途…
…on subjects that may well determine the future of this country…
从而也影乡到本企业的前途罢了
…and therefore the future of the corporations?
那些说“人们不会收看,没有兴趣收看”的人…
To those who say, “People wouldn’t look, they wouldn’t be interested…”
只是过于自满,冷漠,“不食人间烟火”
“…they’re too complacent, indifferent and insulated”…
对他们,我只能说… 在一个记者看来…
…I can only reply: There is, in one reporter’s opinion…
有充足的证据推♥翻♥他们这种论调
…considerable evidence against that contention.
然即便他们是对的 我们又有什么损失呢?
But even if they are right, what have they got to lose?
因为,如果他们是对的
Because if they are right…
如果这个节目除了充当 娱乐大众的空中楼阁便一无是处…
…and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse and insulate…
那么节目也正在荧屏上播出…
…then the tube is flickering now…
而我们很快就会看到这种无谓挣扎的失败
…and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost.
这个节目可以教育…
This instrument can teach.
可以启发,甚至还可以激励
It can illuminate and it can even inspire.
但我们事先这些目标的唯一途径是…
But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it…
人们当真以这样的目的来运用此节目
…towards those ends.
否则,就不过是一个会发光发亮的盒子而已
Otherwise, it is merely wires and lights…in a box.
晚安 好运
Good night, and good luck.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!