就在附近 圣多米尼可 离这十个街区
I’m over here at St. Dominic’s, about 10 blocks from here.
还记得狄米吗?
You remember Timmy?
狄米戴奥?我当然记得
Tim O’Dowd? Yes, of course, I do.
他在圣弗朗西丝教堂 也当了神父
He’s at St. Francis now. He’s a priest, too.
可爱的狄米 真不敢相信
Dear old Timmy. Can you imagine that?
哦 我得回去了
Well, I’ll have to be running along.
别 请别走 好吗?
Please don’t go.
汤米 他可以站在舞台侧面吗?
Tommy, he can stand in the wings, can’t he?
我们将很荣幸
It would be a privilege. Please.
知道吗 汤米…
You know, Tommy…
当初就是奥米利神父说 我会唱歌♥的
Father O’Malley was the first one to tell me I could sing.
也许将来我也会这么说的
Maybe one day I’ll tell her the same thing.
神父 要是你能说服她…
If she listens to you, maybe you could persuade her…
那么 就请她这次一定听我的
to listen just once to me.
看着指挥棒
Watch the baton.
祝你好运 塔尔夫小姐
Good luck, Miss Tuffle.
神父 你要见我? – 是的
You wanted to see me, Father? Yeah.
可琳普斯太太真是个好教♥徒♥…
Mrs. Quimp here, good woman that she is…
她带来一个不好的消息
has come here with a bit of disturbing information.
我认为这件事情应该引起你充分的关注
I think it should more properly be brought to your attention.
可琳普斯太太 什么事?
Nice work, Mrs. Quimp. What is it?
你自己和奥米利神父说吧
Suppose you tell Father O’Malley in your own words.
还是你来说吧
You’d better tell him, Father.
你那位想当明星…
Your little songbird who was without funds…
却又不愿意干家务活的姑娘…
but not a bit interested in general housework…
已经住进了公♥寓♥
is feathering her nest in her own manner.
如果可琳普斯太太的观察正确的话
And if Mrs. Quimp’s observations are correct,
我觉得她应该正确
a very fine manner it is.
因为奥米利神父 那姑娘就住在她的街对面…
It seems, Father O’Malley, that the young lady in question…
她的房♥间正对着…
has an apartment directly across the street.
可琳普斯太太的卧室
Opposite Mrs. Quimp’s bedroom.
而根据可琳普斯太太说
According to Mrs. Quimp,
泰狄早上去 晚上才走…
young Ted Haines comes early and stays so late that…
可琳普斯太太倒是废寝忘食啊
Mrs. Quimp is losing a lot of sleep.
这很明显 是不是 神父?
It’s queer, isn’t it, Father?
小泰狄连声招呼都不打
Young Haines was ready to throw me out
就要把我赶出去了
without so much as a “How do you do?”
可是对这位小姐…
But when it comes to this young lady…
有些话我都不好说出口…
and mark you, there are other words I could call her…
他就像是换了一个人一样
he acts quite different.
你不觉得奇怪吗?
Don’t you think it’s strange?
怎么说呢?有些人就是与众不同嘛
That’s a question. People do funny things, you know.
我说奥米利神父
Fine goings-on, Father O’Malley.
你可别让这件事丢你的脸啊
It’s as plain as the nose on your face.
你说丢谁的脸 神父
The nose on whose face, Father?
丢谁的脸并不重要
It doesn’t matter whose face it’s on.
你我都要脸 是不是
You and I have got to face it.
失陪了
Excuse us.
这是件棘手的事 奥米利神父
This is very serious business, Father O’Malley.
你比我更了解情况
As you’re more familiar with the case,
该由你去处理
I think you should handle it.
我来管别的事
I’ll handle the little sins.
All through a lifetime
I’ll be loving you and then
On the day after forever
I’ll just begin
again
请进
Come in.
您好 神父 – 您好 凯乐
Hello, Father. – Hello, Carol.
您好 神父 – 您好
Hi, Father. – Hello.
我听见您唱歌♥了 这才叫回事
I heard you. That’s more like it.
谢谢你 神父
Thank you, Father.
大概是因为 我对歌♥词理解更深了
Maybe it’s because I’m putting more meaning into the words.
这很舒服 是不是?
Very nice here, isn’t it?
这很舒服
Very nice.
你不用说了 我全部…
Before you go any further…
你明白我要说什么吗?
You mean it’s all in my mind?
是的
That’s right.
神父一定是很想知道事情的详细经过 是吗?
Yes, I’m sure Father is just dying to hear more of the details.
是的 请坐好吗?
Yes. Won’t you sit down?
那天 我走在大街上想着自己的事…
I was going down the street, minding my own business, too…
你猜我碰到谁了
when who do you think just happened by,
当然纯粹是巧合…
purely by accident, of course…
我一不小心撞到了一个人身上
and pulled up alongside of the curb?
叫泰狄赫斯 – 对极了
Ted Haines, Jr. – Right.
你猜他当时怎么说来着
And what do you think his approach was?
你说吧
You tell him.
我还是不记得的好
I prefer not to remember.
女孩子的记性总是好一些
Well, being a woman, I do.
他当时说的是 “嘿 小妞 干吗去?”
His exact words were, “Hey, good-looking, what’s cooking?”
噢 不对不对
Now wait a minute.
我当时说的是 你想找事做吗?
What I really said was, “Who do you know that I know?”
你这句话说得更糟
You know, that’s worse.
怎么说呢
Well, that was that.
我对他又是赔礼又是道歉
And with practically no more of a build up than that,
他却请我吃午饭
he asked me to lunch.
谁知道呢 这一招本来会成功的
Who knows? It might have worked. It’s been known to.
但他气消了以后 我就回到了这里
So after I’d cooled him off, I came back here.
没有工作没有钱 随时都会被赶出去
No job, no money, expecting to be thrown out any minute.
我听到敲门声的时候 心里在想:
There was a knock on the door. I said to myself,
哦 房♥东来了
The landlord. Here it comes.
可你猜是谁?- 泰狄
And who do you think was there? – Junior?
正是 我大吃了一惊 – 我也是
Right. I was so surprised. – So was I.
我们三个都吃了一惊
Well, up to here, we’re all surprised.
当然希望他在赶我出去前
Naturally, before throwing me out,
我 对我稍微有所了解
he had to know a little about me.
所以 我就三言两语
So in a few well-chosen sentences,
把我的情况告诉了他
I gave him the details.
就像我告诉你的一样
Sort of like I told you.
你的房♥东 有一颗金子般的心
And you found a landlord with a heart of gold.
神父 并非真的有一颗金子般的心…
Well, not exactly a heart of gold, Father, but…
反正我们这房♥子也空着
Well, we had the apartment vacant,
赶她出去太不像话了
and it seemed a shame to throw her out.
你觉得有什么不对吗?
Anyway, what’s wrong with that?
我觉得没什么不对 这样很好
Nothing that I know of, up to here.
刚才我说了 赶她出去太不像话了
As I was saying, it was a shame to throw her out.
但可以赶可琳普斯太太
Like Mrs. Quimp?
哦 不 这是另外一回事
Yeah. No! Well, that’s different.
我看出来了 很明显
I can see that, obviously.
她告诉她去找过你
She told me about coming to see you
你也想帮助她
and that you wanted to help her.
可你没有地方让人住 是不是?
You don’t have a corner on helping people, do you?
再说 我已经为她差不多找好了一份工作
And besides, I’ve practically got her lined up in a job.
是的 我一上班就把钱付给他
Yes, and as soon as I get it, I’m going to pay him back.
一分钱都不少 还有你的 神父
Every nickel of it. You too, Father.
我的钱可不着急
No hurry about me.
这架钢琴可真漂亮
Rather a nice-looking piano you have here.
她需要钢琴 是不是
Well, she needs one, doesn’t she?
她得练声 她是歌♥手
She’s got to practice. She’s a singer.
考虑得很周到
It was very thoughtful.
不过钢琴可不便宜啊
Of course, pianos are a little expensive these days.
是啊 我首先问她是不是会弹
I asked her first if she couldn’t play a ukulele.
这是很自然的…
Well, then naturally…
是啊 很自然
Yeah, naturally.
凯乐说你会弹琴 神父
Carol tells me you can play, Father.
你弹弹这琴 看我买♥♥的是否合算
How about trying it out to see if I got a good buy?
是啊 神父 给我们弹点什么吧
Yes, play something for us, Father.
你介意我问你儿个问题吗?神父
Would you mind us asking you a few questions, Father?
问吧 你这首从哪学来的?
No. Where’d you get that wicked left hand?
我对音乐一直很感兴趣
Well, I’ve always been interested in music.
在学校里玩过 我们有个乐队
Used to write a bit of it at school. I had a little band.
我们有个乐队
We used to play for the school dances.
我爱的旋律