已经来了
He’s here,
不过 他坚持一定要换了衣服再来见你
but he insisted on changing his clothes before seeing you.
哦 他倒是挺有礼貌的
That’s nice. Tidy himself up a bit.
嗨 神父
Hello, Father.
我是新来的
I’m your new curate, Father.
请原谅我这身打扮
If you’ll excuse my appearance.
这倒是没见过
No, it’s not possible.
主教大人把你派到我这
The Bishop may have a grudge against me.
大概是认为 我老得连布道都不行了
He may think I’ve a mouthful of clover and can’t preach…
可即使是主教大人本人也没这么无礼过
but even the Bishop wouldn’t do a thing like this to me.
我懂你的意思
I see what you mean.
我能不能问问你…
Young man, may I ask…
是怎么弄成这个样子的呢?
is that the official garb of the priests in St. Louis?
刚才路上出了点事
No, I… Something happened to me on the way over.
今天运气不佳
I guess this just isn’t my day, Father.
你不介意 我… 请便
Do you mind if I… No.
年轻人 我只是感到好奇…
Young man, as a matter of curiosity…
你为什么想当神父?
what made you become a priest?
我…
Why, I…

Hello?
真的
Well, you don’t say.
原来如此
You don’t say.
我大概知道了
Oh, yes, I can well believe it, yeah.
是可琳普斯?
Mrs. Quimp?
是的 可琳普斯太太
Yes, indeed, Mrs. Quimp.
感谢你的好意 再见
I appreciate your good intentions. Yes. Goodbye.
她在说我吧?是啊 她是一片好心
I guess she told you about me? Yeah, the garrulous old biddy.
年轻人 恐怕你得赔那块玻璃
Young man, I’m afraid you’re off to a very bad start.
那她告诉你了 我很抱歉 神父
That’s what she said. I’m sorry, Father, I…
打烂人家窗户 实在是…
Smashing people’s windows. Such conduct.
那正提醒了我
Oh, yes, that reminds me.
该问你什么来着
I wanted to ask you something.
告诉我 年轻人
Listen now. Tell me, young man,
你为什么要当神父呢?
how did you happen to become a priest?
我…
Well, I…

Yeah.
真的?找谁?
Chuck? Chuck who?
查克神父?- 找我的
Father Chuck? – That’s me.
让我来接一下电♥话♥
Here, I’ll take it over here.
哦 狄米
Hello? Timmy!
好久不见 我刚到
Well, how are you, Timmy? I just got in.
真想不到
Well, what do you know?
这是我的老同学 奥多神父
That’s Father O’Dowd, an old friend of mine.
以前我们经常一起上学
We used to go to school together.
我愿终身献给传道生涯
Hail Alma Mater Thy time-honoured halls
与我们的赞美相呼应 直到我们死去
Shall echo with our praise till we die
心中永志墙上的长春藤
And ’round our hearts are the ivy-covered walls
啊 圣路易
Of East St. Louis
唱得好 唱得好 说话方便吗?
Good, Chuck. Can’t you talk?

Well, no.
好吧 你听着就行了
All right, then, I’ll do the talking.
他对的印象如何?
How does your new pastor impress you?
他很好啊 现在还很难说
You’re a big help. It’s a little early to say.
不过 早晚会见分晓的
Time will tell, though.
我看最好还是对他说声抱歉算了
No, I think it would be better if I told you when I saw you.
是啊 那样好多了
Yes, it would be much better.
好吧 尽快 再见
All right, Timmy, make it soon, huh? So long.
他可是个好人 是啊
He’s a great little man. Yeah.
我们刚说到哪里?我问你…
What were we talking about? Yes, I was going to ask…
你问我想不想四处看看
You were going to ask me if I want to see the church.
没错… 对
Yes, that’s right. Yes.
这里真漂亮 – 谢谢
I like this. It’s beautiful. – Thank you.
你待这儿多久了?神父
How long you been here, Father?
四十五年了
Forty-five years.
嗯… 十一月份就四十六年了
And the… Forty-six in October.
教堂呢?- 一样 是我建的
The church? – Same. I built it.
我希望将来也能有这么多贡献
I can only hope someday I can say I built as much.
好漂亮 – 是啊 鸟儿很喜欢
This is nice. – Yeah, the birds like it.
刚好陪伴我
They’re good company. Listen.
若你真有耐心的话
I’ve taken a great deal of pleasure in me garden.
会发现辛勤工作会有代价
It’s been hard work, but it’s been worth it.
你会发现这里是十分适宜沉思的地方
I think you’ll find this a very pleasant place in which to meditate.
你会沉思吗?- 当然
You do meditate, don’t you? – Oh, yes, sure.
我带你看看教堂
Now I’ll show you the church.
我们现在真正需要的是扩音设备
What we really need is a loudspeaker system.
我找到了一样不祥的东西
For a minute I thought I found a four-leaf clover.
今天真不走运
Guess it just isn’t my day.
你想不想看?
Would you like to see the church?
当然
Yes.
科米狄夫人 你等等
Mrs. Carmody, just a minute.
等一下
Just a minute.
奥米利神父在哪?- 早上就出去了
Where’s Father O’Malley? – He left early this morning.
年轻人可不像你这么晚才起来
The young man doesn’t sleep as late as you do, you know.
这是什么?- 他的行李 刚送来
What’s this? – His luggage. It just arrived.
高尔夫 网球 请问他的钓鱼竿在什么地方
Golf, tennis. And where, may I ask, is his fish pole?
哦 在这
It’s here.
早上好 神父 – 去市场啦?
Good morning, Father. – Been to market?
科米狄太太可以料理这些
Mrs. Carmody could attend to that.
你应该去教区看看
You should have been making parish calls.
我已经去过了
I have.
摩肯尼格太太 就是那位得了风湿病的
Mrs. McGonigle, the one with the big house and rheumatism.
送您一个礼物 – 是吗?
She sent you a present. – She did?
摩肯尼格太太 真是慷慨大方
Very generous of her, I must say.
她是个好心肠的人
A fine Christian woman, Mrs. McGonigle.
不知道面是什么东西 肯定是些吃的
Wonder what it is. Something to eat, I dare say.
别动 腌猪脚
Jam. No, pickled pig’s feet.
大概是白兰地 桃子
Possibly some brandied peaches.
最不喜欢的就是
If there’s one thing I’m partial to,
一大罐白兰地桃子
it’s a nice big jar of brandied peaches.
这个篮子也很漂亮
A nice basket, too.
是的 她还要我送回去呢
Yes. She wants it back.
它们太小了
They’re too young.
还离不开它们的妈妈
Much too young to be separated from their mother.
她也是这么说的 所以 连妈妈也来了
That’s what she said. So here’s the mother.
怎么样?
Isn’t she cute?
馈赠他人东西是一件美德
The joy of giving is indeed a pleasure.
特别是把一些不想要的东西送给别人
Especially when you get rid of something you don’t want.
摩肯尼格太太 最喜欢搞这一套了
Mrs. McGonigle is famous for these tricks.
她丈夫一去世 她把他的雨伞…
When her husband died, she sent me his umbrella…
睡裤都给了我
his long flannel underwear, and his moustache cup.
Hail Alma Mater Thy time-honoured halls
Shall echo with our praise till we die
And ’round our hearts are the ivy-covered walls
Of East St. Louis High
狄米 你好
Timmy, how are you?
你好
Chuck, I’m glad to see you.
我们有多久没见面了?
How long since we’ve seen each other?
4年了吧
Four years.
不不不 5年了 – 有那么久吗?
Five, anyway. – Has it been that long?
对了 这是贝司基文神父
Pardon me. Father Fitzgibbon,
这是我的老朋友 奥多神父
this is my old friend, Father O’Dowd.
贝司基文神父 你好
How are you, Father Fitzgibbon?
我们光着屁♥股♥时就是朋友
We’ve been friends since we were knee-high to a niblick.
他可是我们那里的孩子王啊
He was our local Huckleberry Finn.
笑就笑得开心 哭就哭得尽兴
Laugh and the world laughs with you, he’d say.
他总是这么说的
Cry, and you cry all by yourself.
你好 贝司基文神父
How are you, Father?
我只是顺路过来看看奥米利神父
I just dropped by to see if Father O’Malley
下午打不打高尔夫
could play a little golf this afternoon.
你好 你的教堂在哪?
You did? Where’s your parish?
就在圣弗朗西斯科
Right over here, St. Francis.
我不是你的主持
Well, now, about your golf.