贝司基文神父 你干嘛要一个新壁炉?
But, Father Fitzgibbon, why do you want a new furnace?
黑司先生 因为去年冬天光是十一月份
Because, Mr. Haines, last winter, in the month of November alone…
四个来这忏悔的教♥徒♥就得了肺炎
four of me parishioners took to the bed with pneumonia.
这太糟了
That’s too bad.
我来美国这么多年
It’s only by a miracle that
才第一次碰见这样的事
I meself pulled through.
总共才需要 632美圆50美分
It’ll only cost $632.50…
而且配有一个自动调节风门
complete with an automatic damper.
可是 神父
But, Father,
我来这里不是给你装新壁炉的
I didn’t come here to put in new furnaces.
你应该给他配个新壁炉 爸爸
I think you ought to give him his furnace, Dad.
如果人们感觉就会暖和很多
It would warm people’s hearts,
捐给教堂的钱可能就会多一些
and maybe his collections would be bigger.
不 儿子 那完全是另外一♥码♥事
No, Son. Improvements are out.
我说神父
Now, Father…
他说得对 他刚才说的话很对
That was good. What he said, that was good.
他不熟悉我们这一行
Well, he’s new to our business.
你听我说 神父
Now, Father…
没有壁炉了 – 没有了
No furnace? – No furnace.
我来这的目的是
Now, Father, here’s my business.
你欠尼可贝儿储蓄贷款公♥司♥…
You owe the Knickerbocker Savings and Loan Company…
五笔抵押款
five payments on this mortgage.
如果你不想尽办法的话…
If they’re not taken care of…
恐怕尼可贝儿储蓄贷款公♥司♥…
I’m afraid the Knickerbocker Savings and Loan Company…
不得不采取必要措施了
will have to take the necessary action.
你下个星期天布首时
Why don’t you make it the subject
干吗不谈谈这个话题呢
of your sermon next Sunday?
告诉你的教♥徒♥们
Tell it to your people.
上帝热爱那些慷慨解囊的人
The Lord loveth a cheerful giver.
我能想象下星期布首的情景
Oh, I can imagine meself saying that in Mass next Sunday.
这样做是亵渎上帝的 黑司先生
What a sermon that would be, Mr. Haines.
把抵押贷款的事变成布首的内容
The text of me sermon this morning…
这我做不到
is taken from the mortgage…
我下次布首的内容是
according to Mr. Haines…
第一到第二十三章
from the 1st to the 23rd clause.”
很无聊 你知道的
Very dull, you know.
那是你的事情 可以活跃气氛嘛
But that’s your business. Keep it bright.
说正经的 神父
But seriously, Father,
我们的贷款成了死帐…
we’ve made a bad loan…
必须把钱追回来
and we want our money back.
你会得到的 总有办法
Well, you’ll get it somehow.
我想知道的就是这一点
That’s all I wanted to know.
那么 再见 神父
Good day, Father.
走吧 儿子
Come on, Son.
爸爸
Dad.
你不能查封他 这样做不行
You can’t foreclose. Why, it just isn’t being done.
我查了一些资料
I read up on it.
纽约市还没有一所…
There’s never been a Catholic church foreclosure…
天主教堂被查封过
in the history of New York.
什么事都有第一次 是不是?
There’s always a first time, isn’t there?
你不觉得逼他太紧了吗?
Don’t you think you’re being a little harsh with him?
必须这样 儿子 永远不要把钱借给教堂
You’ve got to be. Son, never loan money to a church.
等你向他要钱的时候
As soon as you start to close in on them,
人人都认为你是恶魔
everybody thinks you’re a heel.
那你是吗?- 是的
Well, aren’t you? – Yes.
早上好
Good morning.
你知道圣多米尼可教堂在哪吗?
Could you tell me where I’d find Saint Dominic’s Church?
我是说圣多米尼可教堂
I’m looking for St. Dominic’s Church.
干嘛?
Why?
我在那里有工作
I’m gonna work there.
你是新来的助手吧?
The new assistant?
居然连教堂都找不着
And you can’t even find the church.
我只能说 年轻人
Well, all I can say is, young man,
你还任重道远啊
you’re off to a mighty bad start.
你叫什么?
What’s your name?
奥米利神父 查尔斯·弗朗西斯·奥米利
Father O’Malley. Charles Francis Patrick O’Malley.
你呢?她叫可琳普斯 哈哈哈
What’s yours? Her name is Quimp!
哈希·可琳普斯
Hattie Quimp!
你会常常见到她的尊容的
You’ll see a lot of her, you will.
她可是教堂的常客
At St. Dominic’s, she’s a regular two-a-dayer.
可虔诚啦 点着蜡烛
Very religious, burns candles.
我也可以说出她们的底细
I could tell you plenty about them, too.
要是我都说出来 她们就没脸见人了
And if I did, they’d have to leave the neighbourhood.
你要是想找圣多米尼可教堂 神父
If you’re looking for St. Dominic’s, Father,
往前走一个街区 然后左拐就到了
it’s a block up and then to your left.
谢谢
Thank you.
嗨 – 嗨
Hello. – Hello.
战绩如何?
How’s things going?
烂透了 我一个球也没有接着
Terrible. They never hit one to me.
你能替我玩一会儿吗 神父?
Watch right field for me a minute, will you, Father?
为什么?- 我要上一下厕所
Sure. – I got to run in the house.

Okay.
嘿 神父暂代我的位置
Hey, fellas, the Father’s gonna take my place.
好的 神父
Okay, Father.
我接住了…
I got it! Got it!
快点 快
Hurry up! Come on!
谢了
Thanks.
你看你干的什么事?
What do you think you’re doing?
我临时替孩子们玩一会的
I’m the substitute right fielder.
你应该为你自己感到耻辱
You ought to be ashamed of yourself…
这么大个人了 还和孩子混在一起
playing around with kids,
砸人家的窗户
smashing people’s windows.
你是大人了
A big grown-up man.
他还是一个神父呢
And a priest, besides.
嗨 你还没找到圣多米尼可吗?
Hello. Still looking for St. Dominic’s.
你等着吧 我去告诉贝司基文神父
You just wait till I tell Father Fitzgibbon.
我说 这不关你的事 你走开 走开
Look, you keep out of this, will you? Go on.
这是我俩的事
This is between him and me.
这件事我很抱歉
Honestly, I’m sorry about the window.
抱歉就能把玻璃补好吗?
Yeah, but being sorry don’t fix it.
我打算补块新的 – 什么时候
I intend to pay for it. – When?
做神父的都是穷光蛋
Priests never have any money.
这个窗户要花…
That window…
等一下 别急…
Now wait a minute, my good man…
我说我会付钱的 而且也道歉了
I said I’d pay for it. I told you I’m sorry.
除了道歉 我还能说什么?
What else can I say after I say I’m sorry?
这件事情的关键在于
That ain’t the idea. It’s the principle of the thing.
神父不能四处游荡 专门砸人家的窗户
A priest shouldn’t go around breaking people’s windows.
那会给孩子立下坏榜样
It sets a bad example for the children.
你真让我难堪
You got me stymied there.
我会补偿你的
I’m contrite and I’m penitent.
我说过很抱歉
I’ve told you I’m sorry.
是啊 你说过两次了…
You told me that twice. But that don’t…
但那修不好窗户 我知道
That doesn’t fix the broken window, I know.
我觉得你真难缠
I think you’re just playing hard to get along with.
或许这有点帮助
Maybe a little security might help?
这是别人给我的
These were given to me.
你干脆收下吧
Why don’t you keep them until I’ve made good?
至少你会高兴一点
Maybe they’ll make you feel better.
这是珍珠做的
They’re mother of pearl, you see?
这下你该满意了吧 那我先走了
If that’ll satisfy you, I’ll run along.
等一下 我不能收下这个
Hey, you, here, I got no use for this.
我不相信这玩意儿
First place, I don’t believe in it.
事实上 我什么都不相信
As a matter of fact, I don’t believe in anything.
这我看得出
I can believe that.
我是无神论者 而且十分坚信
I’m an atheist. Besides, I’m superstitious.
我会尽快修好窗户
All right, then, I’m sorry about the window. I’ll have it fixed.
把球给我吧
Can I have the ball back?
你连扔球都像个无神论者
You even throw like an atheist.
科米狄太太 新神父今天来了吗?
Mrs. Carmody, did the young priest come yet?