Mr. Whale?
威尔先生
Mr. Whale.
威尔先生
Let’s get out of this fuckhole.
让我们离开这个鬼地方
You sure you don’t want to wait it out?
你确定你不想等雨停吗?
We aren’t made of sugar. We won’t melt.
我们不是糖做的, 又不会溶化
”Oh, that this too, too solid flesh would melt.”
”结实的肉体会溶化.”
l’m getting you home before you catch your death of pneumonia.
我要在您患肺炎致死前送您回家
Catch my death?
致死?
Are you okay, Mr. Whale?
您没事吧, 威尔先生?
Jimmy, please, hmm?
吉米,好吗?
Call me Jimmy.
请叫我吉米
[ Thunder Continues ] – Hanna, we need some towels! We’re soaked to the bone!
汉娜,我们需要毛巾, 从头到脚都湿透了
Oh, blast it.
哦,该死的
Well, if we soil your floors, it’s your own bloody fault!
如果我们把地板弄脏了, 那是你自己的错!
Oh, l don’t believe it.
哦,难以置信
Don’t worry, she’ll be back. She just can’t say ”no” to her daughter.
不要担心,她会回来的 她只是无法拒绝她的女儿
Well, you certainly have better things to do than to baby-sit an old man.
当个老男人的保姆 的确不是什么好差使
l didn’t have anything planned.
我什么都没有准备
Well, go get a shower upstairs and l’ll get you something dry to wear.
去楼上洗个澡,我拿干衣服给你换
Well, what do you think? Hmm?
你觉得怎么样?
Mr. Whale?
威尔先生?
Where are those clothes you promised?
你说要拿给我的干衣服呢?
[ Clay ] Mr. Whale?
威尔先生?
He trusts me, you know.
他信任我,你知道
Mr. Whale?
威尔先生?
Jimmy?
吉米?
Oh, yes.
哦
Mr. Whale? Huh?
威尔先生?
Yes, of course, uh, Clayton.
哦,当然,克雷
Do come in. Now, l promised to get you some dry clothes.
进来吧,我答应过给你干衣服
The trouble is, you’re so large. You wouldn’t want to attempt to get into my pants.
问题是,你太高大, 你不会想穿我的裤子
Uh, nno. Definitely not. Very good, Clayton.
不,当然不了 非常好,克雷
Now– Oh, l know!
我知道了!
This– This absolutely swims on me,
这件上衣我穿很大,
so that should deal with your upper half.
现在上半身解决了
And now we just need to deal with the rest, don’t we?
我们只要想办法 对付你的下半身,是不?
Do you have any baggy shorts or pajama bottoms? Uh, no.
您有没有宽大 的短裤或睡衣裤子? 没有
l’m sorry. Uh, my pajamas are all tailored.
抱歉,我的睡衣都是度身订做的
Would it be too distressing for you to continue with that towel?
如果要你继续包着毛巾 你会不会很不舒服?
lt’s hardly more immodest than a kilt, you know.
它并没有比苏格兰 方格呢短裙更不庄重
Yes? How very sporting of you, Clayton.
可以? 克雷,你真是配合
Say, is this, um, the–
这个,是不是–
Yes, it’s the only memento l ever kept.
对,这是我 保留的唯一纪念品
My original sketch for the Monster.
我的怪物素描原画
Uh, shall we? Yeah.
我们出去吧? 好
When we’ve finished eating, if Hanna’s not back, shall we try a few more sketches?
如果等我们吃完了 汉娜还没有回来, 要不要再试试画画?
l thought you’d given up on my drawing.
我以为你已经放弃画我了
Yeah, but l’d like to try again.
对,不过我想在试一次
lt’ll give us something to do while we wait.
可以让我们在等候时 有点事情做
Tell me something, Clayton.
告诉我, 克雷
Do you believe in mercy killing?
你相信为仁慈而杀生吗?
l never really gave it much thought.
我从没想过这个问题
You must’ve come across such situations in Korea.
你在朝鲜是一定遇到过 这种情况吧
A wounded comrade, or perhaps even an enemy.
一个重伤的战友, 甚至是重伤的敌人
You know, someone for whom death would be a blessing.
你知道,一个把死当成解脱的人
l never went to Korea.
我从没去过朝鲜
l never even made it through boot camp.
我连训练都没有通过
But you said That l was a marine, which is true.
但你说过 我曾是海军,那是真的
You filled in the rest.
其他都是你自己说的
Oh, l see.
哦,我懂了
My old man was a marine.
我老爸曾是海军
Lied about his age, and he enlisted.
谎抱年龄参军
ls this the Great War? Yeah. Yeah.
是一战吗? 是的
By the time he was ready to ship out, all the fighting was over,
等他准备好要出征的时候, 仗打完了
so he felt like he’d missed out.
所以他觉得错过了些什么
Well, it was a very lucky thing he did. That’s not the way he saw it.
他能错过是件很幸运的是 他并不这么认为
To him it was like his life never really got started.
他觉得他的人生 并没有真正开始过
Nothing else seemed to matter.
其他的一切都无所谓了
Certainly not his family.
当然家人也无所谓
ls that why you became a marine, for your father’s sake?
这是你加入海军的原因, 为了你父亲?
l figured it’d be the next best thing.
我以为这样可以弥补
l mean, but l loved it too. l really– l did.
不过,我也爱海军 真的
lt was a chance to be a part of something important,
那是一个做大事的机会,
something that’s bigger than yourself.
做些超越自己的大事
So, what happened?
发生了什么事?
Didn’t have the guts for it.
我没有那种能力
Hmm? Literally.
真的
My appendix burst.
急性阑尾炎
They gave me a medical discharge.
他们让我因病退伍
The only thing l can think is, how the hell am l gonna tell my father?
我当时唯一的想法是, 我怎么告诉我老爸?
And you know what happened when l finally did tell him?
你知道当我终于鼓起 勇气告诉他时他怎么样吗?
He laughed at me.
他嘲笑我
Well, them’s the breaks, huh? So–
他们让你休息,是不?
No war stories for this pup.
你这个傻小子不会有战争故事了
That’s where you’re wrong, Clayton.
这点你错了,克雷
You just told me one.
你刚刚就告诉 了我一个战争故事
A very good story indeed.
一个非常好的故事
This storm is getting worse.
暴风雨越下越大了
”A perfect night for mystery and horror.
“一个最适合神秘与恐怖的晚上.”
The air itself is filled with monsters.”
“空气中弥漫着怪物的气息.”
That’s from one of your movies, right? Very good.
那是您电影的台词对不对? 非常好
”The only monsters are here.”
”唯一的怪物在这里.”
Don’t remember that one.
不记得那一句
James Whale.
詹姆斯.威尔
This afternoon at the party when you said, ”The only monsters are here,”
今天在派队上你说过, ”唯一的怪物在这里.”
l was wondering which ”here” that was.
我好奇”这里”指的是哪里?
No, l d– l don’t recall.
不,我-我不记得了
Memories of the war, perhaps.
战争的记忆, 可能吧
Barnett.
巴乃特
Barnett on the wire.
电网上的巴乃特
Your friend.
你的朋友
Yes.
对
He caught his one night coming back from reconnaissance.
他在侦察的归途中碰上的
l wouldn’t take him, but McGill did,
我不肯带他去, 但马格带他去了,
”just to give the laddie a taste.”
”让小伙子体验一下.”
They were nearly home when a Maxim gun opened fire.
他们快回到营地时, 重机♥枪♥对他们开火了
Barnett’s body landed on this wire that was as thick as briers.
巴乃特的身体倒在 像荆棘一样密的电网上
lt was hanging there the next morning.
第二天早上还挂在那里
lt was only a hundred yards from the line,
虽然离驻地只有一百多码,
but too far… for anyone to fetch it.
但对于把尸体搬回还是太远
So we saw him every morning stand-to and every evening stand-to.
所以我们每天从 早到晚都可以看到他
”Good morning, Barnett,” we used to say to him.
”早上好,巴乃特” 我们曾这样和他打招呼
”How’s Barnett looking today?” ”He seemed a little peaked. Looks a little plumper.”
”今天巴乃特看起来怎么样?” ”看起来有点缩小了,有点变肥了.”
And he hung there-[ Exhales ]
他就吊在那里–
well, at least until we were relieved.
至少直到我们撤退
We introduced him to the new unit before marching out,
离开前我们把他的事迹介绍给新驻军,
speaking highly of his companionship.
把巴乃特的交谊 精神好好称赞了一翻
God, we were a witty lot.
我们真是帮诙谐的家伙
Laughing at our dead,
嘲笑死亡,
feeling that it was our death too.
感受那也是我们的死亡
But l tell you, for each man who died l thought,
不过我告诉你, 每死一个人我都想,
”Better you than me, poor sod.”
”你死好过我死, 可怜虫.”
You know, a whole generation was wiped out by that war.
你知道,那场战争毁了一代人
[ Thunder Continues ] – You survived it.
你幸存了
Can’t hurt you now.
现在它不能伤害你了
No good to dig it up.
不必耿耿于怀
Oh.
哦
Friend, it’s digging itself up.
朋友, 是记忆自己要回来
There is nothing in the here and now to take my mind off it.
这里没有什么其他 事可以令我不去想它
The parties– Well, you were there.
那种派队– 你也参加了