– Isn’t it? – How did you know?
我注意到你抽了很多烟
You smoke too much. I’ve noticed.
只有失意的人才吸这么多烟…
Only frustrated people smoke too much,
失意而孤独的人
and only lonely people are frustrated.
你真可爱
Well, aren’t you cute.
我 可爱?
Cute? Me?
非常可爱 我开始喜欢你了
Awfully cute. I think I’m gonna like you.
– 抱歉 – 希望不是故意的
– Oh, I’m sorry. – Nothing personal, I hope.
不 我只是想把我的失意抛掉
No. I was just tossing away my frustration.
– 而这降落在我面前
And it landed right on me.
– 也许那代表了什么呢? – 噢 当然
– Maybe that means something? – Oh, it does.
代表我们能去喝一杯
It means were gonna have a drink together.
不行…
No I…
其实我也很喜欢去
On the other hand, I’d love to.
我们就快知道了
Now well see.
知道什么?
See what?
知道你是绅士还是土包子
Whether you are a gentleman, as you say, or a peasant, as I say.
– 哦 – 美人在酒吧
– Oh. – The beautiful one is at the bar.
她可能会有麻烦
Shell probably have trouble.
真的?是什么麻烦?
Really? What kind of trouble?
和英俊的男子一起
A man. He’s very good-looking.
你的老板在他办公室
Your source of income is in his office.
他可能有麻烦了
He will probably have trouble.
– 什么麻烦? – 他也是男人
– What kind of trouble? – Also a man.
但没那么好看
Not so good-looking.
我知道了
Now we know.
你果然是土包子
You are what I said.
你在生意上的任何损失
Any losses that you incurred in business
已在赌桌上取回来了
were reimbursed to you across the casino tables
非常规律和慷慨
regularly and very generously.
但是 你无视我的命令
But, in spite of orders,
依然继续把钨丝卖♥♥给本多
you continue to sell tungsten wire to the Bendolan Company.
本多没有钨丝
But Mr. Bendolan cant manufacture electric light globes
就造不了电灯泡 芒森先生
without tungsten wire for filaments, Mr. Mundson.
那样他就没法继续做生意
He can’t continue in business without…
我们不想本多再继续他的生意
We don’t wish Mr.Bendolan to continue in business.
你还没明白吗?
Isn’t that clear to you?
但在那个地区 他是我的商品的唯一经销商
But he’s the only outlet for my product in this territory,
芒森先生
Mr.Mundson.
不卖♥♥给他 我也没生意可做了
If I don’t sell to him, I can’t continue in business.
– 你不明白吗? – 好极了
– Don’t you understand that? – Perfectly.
你根本不在乎这一点 芒森先生
And that doesn’t matter to you, does it, Mr. Mundson?
相反 我非常同情你
On the contrary, I sympathize with you deeply.
无法保护自己的人活得不容易
Life is very difficult for the defenseless ones of the world.
是的
Yes.
你说得对
As you say.
谢谢你 芒森先生
Thank you, Mr. Mundson.
我们是开赌场的
I thought we were in the gambling business.
别管我
Leave me alone.
我没听说过赌博需要用灯泡
I never heard of a game played with electric light globes.
一起去和姬黛喝一杯吧 约翰
Lets join Gilda for a drink, shall we, Johnny?
好的
Sure.
让我先去那儿确定一下有没有问题
Hey, uh, better let me case the joint first.
– 确定一下? – 对 看一下是否安全
– Case the joint? – Yeah, see if the coast is clear.
他的脸色有点不对
I didn’t like the look on the defenseless one’s face.
– 那小子 – 我觉得有问题
– That mouse. – I didn’t like the look on his face.
好吧 约翰
All right, Johnny.
姬黛说得对 你是很会保护人
Gilda was right. You are protective.
我就是这种人
Sure. That’s me all over.
给我五分钟
Give me five minutes.
姬黛
Gilda.
– 你没看到我在跳舞吗? – 你是在跳舞
– Maybe you didn’t notice. I’m dancing. – You were dancing.
– 你想怎样? – 你会习惯的
– Hey, what’s the idea? – Oh, you’ll get used to it.
我在这儿从未跳完一支舞
I’ve never been able to finish a dance in here yet.
我希望巴林下来时 只有你一个人
When Ballin comes down, I want you sitting in a booth alone.
你确定是巴林反对我交朋友吗
You’re sure it’s Baum who objects to my having friends?
我想知道 这人是谁?
What I want to know is, who is this guy?
约翰·法雷 这里的经理
Johnny Farrell. He runs the joint.
他是纽约来的埃文 约翰·法雷
This is Gabe Evans, Johnny Farrell…all the way from New York.
– 他很英俊吧 – 亲爱的
– Isn’t he pretty? – Just darling.
– 叫他离开 – 但我喜欢他
– Now get him out of here. – But I like him.
他走的话 我会跟着他
If he leaves, I go with him.
很好 我也跟去
That’s all right with me too.
你还在等什么?
Well, what’s keepin’ you?
没什么
Not a thing.
– 我们去找乐子吧 – 像我说过的?
– Lets go where we can have some fun. – Like I said?
就是 你没听到我的话吗?
Exactly like you said. Didn’t you hear about me, Gabe?
熟悉我的人都知道我不会拒绝人
If I’d been a ranch, they would have named me the Bar Nothing.
– 一切都没问题了 – 很好
– The coast is clear, I take it. – Very clear.
巴林 我不是小孩子 告诉我真♥相♥
Look, Ballin, I’m a big boy now. You can tell me things.
姬黛说过你会长大
Gilda warned me that you’d grow up.
她在哪儿?
By the way, where is she?
– 姬黛? -是的 姬黛
– Gilda? – Yes, Gilda.
她觉得闷 镇上正在放美国电影
She was bored. There’s an American picture in town.
– 去看电影了 -一个人去?
– She went to see it. – Alone?
跟谁?
Who would she go with?
她不认识这儿的人
She doesn’t know anybody down here.
这一点你该比我更清楚
You’d know more about that than I would,
不是吗 约翰?
wouldn’t you, Johnny?
不
No!
他死了
Esta iriuerto.
让这么多人看到这种事真不好
Bad form, isn’t it, to make a scene in public.
海洋本来可以更平静
The ocean would have been quieter.
只有笨人才会被赌博害死
Only fools ruin themselves gambling.
– 赌博? – 还会是什么?
– Gambling? – What else?
– 回家吧 鲍姆 – 他怎么了?
– Come on home, Baum. – What happened to him?
快
Come on.
– 他自杀了吗?约翰 – 是的
– Did he kill himself, Johnny? – Yes.
人愿意受贿时
When a man becomes weak enough to accept a bribe,
他也就快死了
he’s already a dying man.
– 你不觉得内疚吗? – 为他自杀而内疚?不
– Didn’t bother you, did it? – That he killed himself? No.
– 但你的害怕令我担忧
But it did bother me that, back there, you were afraid.
我只是惊讶
Oh, no, I was amazed.
我意识到可能会被杀
I realized that something could happen to me.
我要告诉你一件事 进来
That’s why I’m going to tell you something. Come in.
约翰 这边
Over here, Johnny.
记着这步骤 约翰
Remember this, Johnny.
也记着这步骤
Remember this too.
– 你可以自己做到吗? – 行
– Could you do it now by yourself? – Yes.
左八 右二十四 左二
Eight left, 24 right, two left,
右十七
17 right.
只有你知道这密♥码♥ 约翰
You’re the only one who knows the combination, Johnny.
如果我死了 里面有文件
If anything should ever happen to me, there are papers in there.
上面有其他步骤的指示
Signatures and instructions how to carry on.
谢谢你告诉我
Thanks for not letting me down.
你不只有赌场
You’re not just the owner of a gambling joint, huh?
知道卡特尔是什么吗? 约翰
You know what a cartel is, Johnny?
我想是 托拉斯
I think so. A trust.
一种垄断组织 对吗?
A monopoly of some kind, isn’t it?
– 是国际性垄断组织 – 做大买♥♥卖♥♥?
– An international monopoly. – Big business, huh?
– 卖♥♥什么的? – 钨
– Monopoly in what? – Tungsten.
– 你不感兴趣吧? – 我对此一无所知
– That doesn’t impress you. – Well, I don’t know much about it.
我是说 值得为了垄断它
I mean, I don’t know if it’s worth getting shot at
而被人杀死吗?
for the pleasure of monopolizing it.
控制了战略
A man who controls a strategic material
材料就能控制世界
can control the world, Johnny.
世界很大
Whoa now. The worlds a pretty big place.
由渺小而愚蠢的人组成
Made up of stupid little people.
我打赌
Well, if anybody can do it,
你会成功
I’d lay 8-to-5 you’re the baby who can.
你会赢