Don’t know for sure.
这人累坏了
The man’s exhausted.
给他点儿吃的 – 医生就要来了
We’ll get him something to eat. – The surgeon’s on the way.
你知道他的名字吗? – 他说的话我一句也听不懂
Did you get his name? – He said something I couldn’t understand.
我听不懂任何梅森-迪克西线以南的方言
I can’t understand anyone south of Mason-Dixon.
叛军或者黑鬼的话都听不懂
Rebs or darkies.
好吧,就这样吧军士,你看着他
All right, men, as you were. Surgeon, see to him.
战争爆发以前,常有南方的游客到我们那里去
We had visitors from the South before the war.
他们总是很有礼貌,很有教养
They were always very polite, academic, you understand.
我们彼此都非常有礼貌的回避黑奴问题
We stayed off the question of slavery out of courtesy.
但结果还是没有避开它…
But toward the end there was no getting away from it…
…到现在我也没弄明白,不明白,我…
…and yet I could never understand. I don’t now.
不知道为什么
I don’t know why.
他们打得那么卖♥♥力
They fight so well.
告诉我,巴斯特…
Tell me something, Buster…
…你怎么看待黑人?
…what do you think of Negroes?
嗯,如果你是指那个种族的话…
Well, if you mean the race…
…我真的不知道
…I don’t really know.
这不值得感到羞耻
This is not a thing to be ashamed of.
关键是,你不能评价一个种族
The thing is, you cannot judge a race.
任何人去评价一群人都是片面的
Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit.
你一次只能评价一个人
You take men one at a time.
对我来说,他们没有任何的不同
To me, there was never any difference.
完全没有? – 完全没有
None at all? – None at all.
当然,我不认识很多的自♥由♥的黑人…
Of course, I haven’t known that many freed men…
…但我在班戈市和波特兰见过一些…
…but those I knew in Bangor, Portland…
…你看着他的眼睛,他就是和我们一样的人
…you look in the eye, there was a man.
他的眼睛一样的灵动,有着“神的光彩”就像我妈妈曾经说过的,
There was a “divine spark,” as my mother used to call it.
这是我们所拥有的一切
That’s all there is to it.
不同种族都是人
Races are men.
“人类是个多么美妙的杰作”
“What a piece of work is man.
“他拥有着崇高的理智…”
How infinite in faculties, in form and moving…
“…也有无限的能力与优美可钦的仪表”
…how express and admirable.
“其举止就如天使”
In action, how like an angel.”
嗯,如果犹如天使,那么现在…
Well, if he’s an angel, all right then…
…也他妈应该是杀戮天使
…but he damn well must be a killer angel.
上校,亲爱的上校,你是一个可爱的人
Colonel, darling, you’re a lovely man.
我发现我们截然不同,但我钦佩你,伙计
I see a vast great difference between us, yet I admire you, lad.
你是一个理想主义者,赞美你
You’re an idealist, praise be.
但事实是,上校…
The truth is, colonel…
…没有什么“神的光彩”
…there is no “divine spark.”
他们很多人还不如一条狗有价值 相信我
There’s many a man alive no more of value than a dead dog. Believe me.
在我的老家,你就会看到他们是怎样互相残杀
When you’ve seen them hang each other the way I have back in the Old Country.
平等?
Equality?
我就是为了证明我比大多数人优秀才来到这里打仗的
What I’m fighting for is the right to prove I’m a better man than many of them.
在战争中,你在哪儿看到过“神的光彩”?
Where have you seen this “divine spark” in operation, colonel?
你在那里见过这种高尚的平等?
Where have you noted this magnificent equality?
世上没有两样东西是平等的也没有什么平等机会
No two things on earth are equal or have an equal chance.
树叶如此,树也如此
Not a leaf, not a tree.
有很多人不如我,也有很多人比我强…
There’s many a man worse than me and some better…
…我觉得种族啊、国家啦都不重要
…but I don’t think race or country matters a damn.
什么重要呢,上校…
What matters, colonel…
…就是公正
…is justice.
这也是我来这里的原因
Which is why I’m here.
我会得到我应有的对待…
I’ll be treated as I deserve…
…而不是我父亲应有的
…not as my father deserved.
基尔瑞恩中士为电影原著《杀戮天使/The Killer Angels》中唯一的虚构人物,他的姓氏实际上取自书名中的字母,现实中也存在这一姓氏,只是极其罕见
我是基尔瑞恩…
I’m Kilrain…
…我诅咒所有的绅士
…and I damn all gentlemen.
贵族精神只有一种…
There is only one aristocracy…
…它就在这里面
…and that is right here.
所以我们必须赢得这场战争
And that’s why we’ve got to win this war.
你们好啊
Howdy.
你好,将军
Howdy, general.
你们好,我的孩子们 弗吉尼亚军团来到了!
Hello, my boys. Virginia has arrived!
皮克特将军送来了他的问候…
General Pickett presents his compliments…
…并且请求和指挥官“交流”“如果你愿意的话”(法语)
…and asks to parler with the commanding general, s’il vous plaît.
你好,乔治
Hey, George.
将军
General.
天哪!这是什么味道?
Good Lord, what is that smell?
是我,不好闻吗?
That’s me. Ain’t it lovely?
他从一个法国死人身上拿到的
He got it off a dead Frenchman.
晚上好,詹姆斯 – 嘿,罗
Good evening. – Hey, Lo.
我才不是从一个法国死人身上拿到的呢
I did not get it off a dead Frenchman.
我和莎莉在里士满买♥♥的
I bought it in a store in Richmond with Sally.
它没有法国名字,但我想科尔贝特小姐会喜欢的
It did have a French name, but Miss Corbert likes it.
您好吗,将军? – 好,吉姆,好,您好吗?
How are you, general? – Good, Jim, good. How are you?
很好
Real good.
迪克,情况怎样?
Dick, how’s it going?
不错,约翰,挺不错
Fine, John, just fine.
好,噢,看,我真抱歉把你分派到臭老乔治身边…
Good. Oh, listen, I am sorry to assign you to old smelly George here…
…但我听说你不容易反胃
…but I hear tell you have a strong stomach.
将军,我希望您知道…
General, I want you to know…
…我多高兴有这机会再投入战斗,长官
…how much I appreciate this opportunity to be back in action again, sir.
甭提啦,迪克,甭提
Let it go, Dick. Let it go.
我真心认为,有你这么个人才加入…
I consider it a damn fine piece of luck…
…真是上辈子修来的福气
…to have a man of your caliber attached to this command. I do.
呃,将军,长官我们今天迎来了什么人呢?
Uh, general, sir. Just exactly what do we have here?
请原谅
Oh. Excuse me.
先生们,弗里曼特尔上校
Gentlemen, Colonel Fremantle.
请允许我向你们介绍乔治•皮克特少将
Allow me to introduce Major General George Pickett.
皮克特将军,这位是亚瑟•弗里曼特尔中校…
General Pickett, Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Fremantle…
…隶属于女王陛下最精锐的冷溪近卫团…
…of Her Majesty’s venerable and elite Cold Stream Guards…
…目前担任不列颠派驻邦联的陆军武官…
…Britain’s military attaché to the Confederacy…
…或者你们可以当他是维多利亚女王的耳目
…and, you might say, the eyes and ears of Queen Victoria.
长官,我只是一个小小的观察员,你微不足道的客人
Hardly, sir. I’m merely an observer and your humble guest.
长官…
Sir…
…你们卫队的大名真是如雷贯耳啊
…the fame of your regiment has preceded you.
皮克特将军是我军最优秀的战略家
General Pickett here is our ranking strategist.
北弗吉尼亚军团第1军 我们但凡有事就找他
The First Corps Army of Northern Virginia. We refer all our deeper questions to him.
确实,他们确实找我
They do. They do indeed.
他在西点军校的成绩依然在两军中流传
His record at West Point is still the talk of both armies.
你知道我认为对于士兵来说书本上的知识是根本没有必要的
You know I consider it unbecoming to a soldier, all this book learning.
书本上的知识也不适合绅士,对吧? – 当然
Book learning ain’t for gentlemen, right? – Nor that either.
他毕业时是他们班倒数,还是倒数第一
He graduated last in his class. Dead last.
真不容易!在那个班还能落到最后
Quite a feat, considering his classmates.
北方佬倒是个个尖子生 看看他们现在什么德行
The Yankees got all the smart ones. Look where it’s got them.
上校,让我来介绍我的指挥官
Colonel, allow me to present my commanders.
这些小伙子们,每一个都指挥着我的一个旅
Each one of these chaps, as you might say, commands a brigade of mine.
这位,就是罗•阿米斯特德
Now this fellow here, this is Lo Armistead.
罗塔琉(Lothario)是《堂吉诃德》中的人物,其名字被用来指代好色之徒,这里是玩笑话,罗的全称其实是刘易斯
罗!全称为罗塔琉(好色之徒)
Lo! That’s short for Lothario.
情圣啊!
The lover.
这位是理查德•布鲁克•加尼特 请原谅他一瘸一拐的
This here is Richard Brooke Garnett. You’ll pardon his limp.
前些天他被他的马踢了一脚
He got kicked by his horse the other day.
在那的那个伙计…
That fellow there…
那是吉姆•肯珀
That’s Jim Kemper.
注意他善变的眼神和口袋里的手
You note the shifty eye, the hand in the pocket.
他甚至不是西点毕业的,所以看紧他
He’s not even a West Pointer, so watch him.
他是弗吉尼亚来的政客 他到这里来只是为了选票
He’s a politician from Virginia. Jimmy’s only here for the votes.
我曾是弗吉尼亚众议院的议长
I was Speaker of the House in Virginia.
实际上,我很希望能和你探讨一些政♥治♥上的问题
As a matter of fact, I’d like to talk to you about some political matters.
你认识女王,对吧?
You know the queen, don’t you?
我需要知道的以及当我回去以后需要告诉我的民众的是:
What I need to know and tell my folks back home is:
你们什么时候才会开始…
When are you going to do something…
…在海上封锁北方佬?
…about that damn Yankee blockade out there on the water?
你能告诉我一些相关的事吗?
Can you tell me something about that?
是时候去取水了,走
Time for some branch water. Come on.
将军?长官
General? Sir.
可以说几句吗?
Might I have a few words?
当然可以,乔治,来
Sure, George. Come on.
我得承认,我觉得朗斯特里特将军相当古怪