文森特上校让我通知你第5军准备出发
Colonel Vincent wishes to inform you the Fifth Corps is moving out.
你和缅因第20团担当先头部队
You and the 20th Maine Regiment are instructed to lead.
缅因第20团处于队列的最前沿 保护前方和侧翼
20th Maine’s assigned first position in line. Send out advanced guards and flankers.
侧翼? – 是的,侧翼
Flankers? – Yes, flankers.
好吧,遵命 替我向文森特上校问好
Right, yes. My compliments to the colonel.
克拉克上尉,听到了吧?让全团准备吧
Captain Clark, you heard him. Get the regiment up.
下令集♥合♥,收起帐篷
Sound the assembly. Strike the tents.
你最好找点儿东西吃 你看起来很需要吃点
You better get something to eat. Looks like you could use it.
告诉你的人我来了
Tell your men I’m coming.
缅因第2团的士兵都吃饱了,劳伦斯
The boys from the Second Maine are being fed, Lawrence.
别叫我劳伦斯!
Don’t call me Lawrence.
该死的,劳伦斯,我是你的弟弟!
Damn it, Lawrence. I’m your brother.
在士兵们面前要注意称呼
Be careful about the name business in front of the men.
因为我们是兄弟这样叫让人感觉我在拉山头
Because we’re brothers,it looks like favoritism.
米德将军还让自己的儿子当副官呢
General Meade got his own son as his aide de camp.
那是不一样的,将军可以做任何事情
That’s different. Generals can do anything.
将军上了战场就像上帝来到了人间
Nothing quite so much like God on earth as a general on battlefield.
你打算拿他们怎么办?上校
What are you going to do with them? Colonel, sir.
你不能处决他们,你这么干了,就永远也别想回缅因州了
You can’t shoot them. You never go back to Maine if you do.
我知道
I know that.
真想知道如果他们这么做了会怎样
I wonder if they do.
上校,你认识这个人吗?
Colonel, sir. You know who this man is?
丹•伯恩斯,来自奥罗诺 我认识他父亲,一个传教士
Dan Burns, from Orono. I know his daddy, the preacher.
我见过的最优秀的教士
Best cusser I ever heard.
他所知道的圣言比缅因任何人还多
Knows more fine swear words than any man in Maine.
大家都过来
You men gather around.
我和巴克林二等兵谈过了 他告诉了我你们的想法
I’ve been talking with Private Bucklin. He’s told me about your problem.
今天,我不能为你们做什么
There’s nothing I can do today.
过一会儿我们就出发了 今天一整天都会行军
We’re moving out in a few minutes. We’ll be moving all day.
我受命带你们一起走
I’ve been ordered to take you men with me.
我还被告知…
I’m told that…
…如果你们不来,我可以毙了你们
…if you don’t come, I can shoot you.
当然,你们都清楚我不会这么做
Well, you know I won’t do that.
也许别人会,但我不会
Maybe somebody else will, but I won’t.
那么,好吧
So that’s that.
现在情况是这样的
Here’s the, uh, situation.
叛军主力就在这条路前方不远处等待我们
The whole reb army is up that road a ways waiting for us.
现在没有时间来争论了
This is no time for an argument.
我告诉你们,我们确实需要你们
I tell you, we could surely use you fellows.
我们现在连半满员都不到
We’re now well below half strength.
你们是不是参加战斗,由你们自己决定
Whether you fight or not, that’s up to you.
你们来不来也…好吧,你们来吧
Whether you come along is… Well, you’re coming.
你们知道我们是,谁也知道我们为什么在这里
You know who we are, what we’re doing here.
如果你在我们身边作战,有些事情你们必须明白
If you fight alongside us, there’s a few things you must know.
这个团是去年夏天在缅因组建的
This regiment was formed last summer in Maine.
当时我们有1000人
There were 1,000 of us then.
现在只有不到300人
There are less than 300 of us now.
就像你们一样,我们所有的人都是自愿为联邦作战的
All of us volunteered to fight for the Union, just as you did.
有些人参军是因为在家里待着无聊
Some came mainly because we were bored at home.
心想这看起来挺有趣的
Thought this looked like it might be fun.
有些人是因为如果不参军的话会感到羞愧
Some came because we were ashamed not to.
大部分人来这里是因为这是正确的选择
Many of us came because it was the right thing to do.
我们都已经见证过死亡
And all of us have seen men die.
这是一支与众不同的军队
This is a different kind of army.
回顾历史,你将会看到人们为了报酬互相厮杀
If you look back through history, you’ll see men fighting for pay…
为了女人和其它战利品
…for women, for some other kind of loot.
他们为土地和权力而战
They fight for land, power.
因为有一个国王领导着他们,或者只是因为他们喜欢屠♥杀♥
Because a king leads them, or just because they like killing.
今天我们为了一些新的东西聚集到此地
We are here for something new.
在世界史上,这也是不多见的
This has not happened much in the history of the world.
我们是一支为了他人的自♥由♥而战的军队
We are an army out to set other men free.
美国应该是自♥由♥之乡
America should be free ground.
每一寸土地
All of it.
而不是用一条线分成蓄奴州和自♥由♥州
Not divided by a line between slave state and free.
从这里到太平洋的每一寸土地上
All the way from here to the Pacific Ocean.
没有人要卑躬届膝
No man has to bow.
没有人天生高贵
No man born to royalty.
在这里,我们以所做的贡献评价你而不是以你父亲的身份
Here we judge you by what you do, not by who your father was.
在这里,你可以有所作为
Here you can be something.
在这里,你可以建立自己的家园
Here is the place to build a home.
但是,不应该只在这里
But it’s not the land.
而应该是更多的地方
There’s always more land.
这就是我们为之奋斗的
It’s the idea that we all have value.
你们和我
You and me.
我们为什么而战,实际上到最后…
What we’re fighting for, in the end…
我们是为了彼此而战
…we’re fighting for each other.
对不起
Sorry.
我并不是想鼓吹什么
I didn’t mean to preach.
继续吧
You go ahead.
讲了好一阵了
You talk for a while. Uh, if you, uh…
如果你选择加入我们并且希望拿回你的步♥枪♥,完全可以
If you choose to join us and want your muskets back, you can have them.
从此以后没有人会再说什么
Nothing more will be said by anybody, anywhere.
如果你选择不加入我们可以跟随部队前进
If you choose not to join us, you can come along under guard.
当战斗结束,我将尽全力帮助你们…
When this is over, I’ll do what I can…
得到公正的待遇,但是现在,我们必须行军了
…to see you get a fair treatment, but for now, we’re moving out.
先生们
Gentlemen.
如果我们输掉这场战斗…
I think if we lose this fight…
我们就输掉了整个战争
…we lose the war.
所以,如果你们选择加入我们,我个人将非常感激
So, if you choose to join us, I’ll be personally very grateful.
上校,真是个美好的清晨啊
Colonel, it’s a fine morning.
斯皮尔上尉,准备好了吗? – 准备好了,长官
Captain Spear, are we ready? – That we are.
那就出发吧
Then let’s move out.
缅因第20团!
20th Maine!
向前!
Forward!
前进!
March!
布福德的联邦骑兵
葛底斯堡郊区
那是步兵
That’s infantry, all right.
至少一整个旅
At least a whole brigade.
有骑兵的踪迹么?
Any sign of cavalry?
一点儿也没有,长官
Not a lick, sir.
奇了怪了
That’s strange.
步兵单独在敌占区行军,真蠢
Infantry moving alone in enemy country, blind.
非常奇怪,长官
Very strange, sir.
你怎么看?
What do you make of that?
他们向这边来了
He’s headed this way.
长官?
Sir?
李将军掉头了,这是主力部队
Lee’s turned. That’s the main body.
你这样认为?
You think so?
估计他们是去哈里斯堡 – 应该是
I thought they were going to Harrisburg. – He was.
人数太多了,不像是奇袭部队
That’s too many troops to be a raiding party.
后面肯定还有增援
There’s power behind it.
长官,如果你想打,这里是个好地方
Sir, if you want to fight here, this is such lovely ground.
这是这些天来我见过得最好的战场
It’s the best damn ground I’ve seen all day.
就是那儿
It is that.
把两个旅开进镇子里
We’ll move both brigades into town.
居民会很高兴的
That’ll make the good citizens happy.
我们过去看看
Let’s go down and have a look.
长官
Sir.
马里兰 托尼敦
14英里外
士兵,你的衬衫需要补补了 – 我还以为战争是在弗吉尼亚呢
Soldier, your shirt needs mending. – I thought the war was in Virginia.
小伙子们,你们是哪一边的?
What division are you boys with?
上校,你介意吗?
Colonel, do you mind?
好的军官不会整天骑马的 再说我已经坐了太久了
A good officer doesn’t ride all day. I’ve been sitting too long anyway.
你在想什么?
What do you think?
你怎么想? – 什么怎么想?
What do you think? – About what?
除了那些缅因第2团的小子们,还能想什么?
About the Second Maine boys, what else?
他们中会有人加入我们吗?
Are any of them going to join us?
你信吗?除了六个!
Would you believe it? All but six!
什么?
What?
我数过人了 有1♥1♥4♥人愿意拿起枪来战斗
I counted by actual vote. 1♥1♥4♥ voted to pick up the rifle.