很好
Good. Good.
我希望你能竭尽所能
I want you to use everything you have.
发射最大火力 让所有远程大炮开火
Maximum effort. Fire all long range ordinance.
但在我下令和就位之前先不要动
But don’t open up till I give the word and everything’s in position.
之后再全力轰炸 我不希望看到有一门炮闲着
Then fire with all you’ve got. I don’t want to see a single gun silent.
找个观察点察看对方情况
Find an observation point and check the damage.
我们必须消灭那座山头的敌人
We must clear those people off that ridge.
如果我们不能…
If we don’t…
不管怎样,在你的弹♥药♥快要用光之前向我报告
Anyway, you let me know when you’re nearing the end of your ammunition.
我们必须给步兵进攻足够的火力支援 清楚了吗?
We must conserve enough to support the infantry attack. Is that clear?
是的,长官
Yes, sir.
先生们
Gentlemen.
约翰逊·佩蒂格鲁,北卡罗莱纳大学的
Johnston Pettigrew, University of North Carolina.
是的,我知道
Yeah, I know.
他们仍然很崇拜地谈论你所取得的成就
They still talk about your grades there with reverence and awe.
你作为学者的声誉早已传扬了,先生
Your reputation as a scholar has preceded you, sir.
我听说你在写一本书?
I hear you’ve written a book.
只是业余爱好 如果将军你想看的话…
It was only a minor work. If the general would care to read it…
当然 – 我送你一本,表示我对你的敬意
Surely. – A copy with my compliments.
上尉,在行李箱里把我的书找出来
Captain, retrieve my book from the baggage.
将军,很抱歉,但我相信今天我没有时间来读它
General, my apologies, but I do not believe I will have time to read that today.
先生们
Gentlemen.
我希望你们看看山上的那片树丛
I want you to look at that clump of trees on that ridge.
那是所有部队集结的地方
That is where all units will converge.
可能会形成很长的一支队伍,也许1英里长 ,大概1万5000人
You will be spread out in a long line, perhaps a mile, about 15,000 men.
所有部队都要在山顶的那一点集♥合♥
All units converging on that point on the crest of that ridge.
现在,看这
Now, look here.
北方佬的中♥央♥,一座石墙
The Yankee center. A stone wall.
一个小树林
A small grove of trees.
特林布尔将军,指挥彭德的师,在左边
General Trimble, commanding Pender’s division, will be on the left.
佩蒂格鲁的一个旅在后面支援
Pettigrew’s brigade in support.
皮克特将军的师会在右边进攻
General Pickett’s division will be on the right side of the attack.
现在,乔治我希望你把两个旅放在前面…
And now, George, I want you to put two brigades in front…
…一个旅放在后面,就像这样
…and one in back, like so.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
加尼特旅
Garnett’s brigade.
这是吉米•肯珀
That’s Jimmy Kemper.
阿米斯特德部负责支援
Armistead’s in support.
好了,嗯,然后
Good. All right, then.
加尼特紧靠特林布尔的侧翼
Garnett will dress off at Trimble’s flank.
他会是关键,这么说吧,他要连续向左倾斜
And he will be the hinge, so to speak, in a series of left obliques.
在埃米茨堡路的某处…
Somewhere about the Emmitsburg Road…
…你要完成你的第一次左倾
…you will execute your first left oblique.
然后直线前进
Then direct.
然后再次左倾
Then left again.
然后就要靠你自己的判断了…
And so on at your own discretion…
…要欺骗北方佬让他们展开成一条长线
…in order to deceive the Yankees and spread them out in a long line.
好了,还有问题吗?
Here. Any questions?
好吧,先生们
All right, gentlemen.
先生们…
Gentlemen…
…那是个转折点 那丛树
…that is the conversion point. That clump of trees.
我们会用上所有的大炮
We will use all of the artillery.
以那一点为中心,就在那
They will center on that point, right there.
我们会保证大炮一直轰到弹♥药♥用光为止
Will fire every gun they have until the ammunition runs out.
等炮击结束以后我会下令,然后你们就全部进军
When that is done, I will give the order and you all go in.
先生们…
Gentlemen…
…我相信这次进攻将决定我们国家的命运
…I do believe this attack will decide the fate of our country.
所有已经牺牲的战友们今天将与你们同在
All the men who have died in the past are with you here today.
我想说,长官,我非常荣幸能够在你的手下战斗
I want to say, sir, it is an honor to serve under your command.
我想谢谢你,长官,让我能够在最后的决战中指挥
I want to thank you, sir, for giving me the opportunity of serving here.
我一直期待着,长官
I have prayed, sir.
乔治,你能拿下那座山吗?
George, can you take that ridge?
长官…
Sir…
哈里森
Harrison.
长官,你能让人给我支步♥枪♥吗?
Sir,would you mind giving someone an order to give me a musket?
我希望今天能够加入战斗
I think today I’d like to join the attack.
也许我能从士兵那借一顶帽子或者条纹夹克
If I could even borrow a hat from a soldier or just a jacket with some stripes on it.
长官,就这一次
Sir, just once.
因为我想,长官,今天可能是最后一天了
Because I think, sir, today might be the last day.
难道这不是我应得的吗?长官?
Haven’t I earned it, sir?
你知道会发生什么事吗?
You know what’s gonna happen?
让我告诉你会发生什么事
I’ll tell you what’s gonna happen.
部队现在正在树丛后面集结
Troops are now forming behind the line of trees.
当他们走出去的时候
When they come out,
他们会处在敌军远程火炮的攻击之下
they will be under enemy long range artillery fire.
交叉火力 猛烈地轰击他们 所有大炮
Solid shot. Percussion. Every gun they have.
部队将在炮火下前进1英里
Troops will come out under fire with more than a mile to walk.
而且是在开阔地…
And still, within the open field…
…在步♥枪♥的射程之内
…they’ll be in the range of aimed muskets.
那边的栅栏会降低他们的行进速度
They’ll be slowed down by that fence out there.
而步兵线列,残存的线列,会开始溃退
And the formation, what’s left of it, will begin to come apart.
当他们跨过那条路后
When they cross that road,
他们会进入短程火炮射程
they’ll be under shortrange artillery.
遭到霰弹射击
Canister fire.
数以千计的弹片会把战线炸得支离破碎
Thousands of little bits of shrapnel wiping the holes in the lines.
就算他们走到那面墙的时候还没有溃败…
If they get to that wall without breaking up…
…也剩不下多少人了
…there won’t be many left.
简单的数学♥运♥算而已
A mathematical equation.
但也许,只是也许…
But maybe, just maybe…
…我们的炮兵也许可以破坏他们的防御
…our own artillery will break up their defenses.
我们只能这样希望
There’s always that hope.
汉考克在那 而且他是不会逃跑的
That’s Hancock out there. And he ain’t gonna run.
所以到最后还是数学问题
So it’s mathematical after all.
就算他们能够到达那条路,或者跨过去
If they get to that road, or beyond it,
也会有超过50%的人阵亡
we’ll suffer over 50 percent casualties.
但哈里森…
But, Harrison…
…我不相信我的士兵能够拿下那座墙
…I don’t believe my boys will reach that wall.
长官,如果你允许
Sir, with your permission.
我会自己去找步♥枪♥,长官
I’ll get myself that musket, sir.
那边是米德将军的司令部,长官
That’s Meade’s headquarters.
墓园岭
你必须找到一个地方待命
You’re to take a position in reserve.
联邦军中心
你不需要隐蔽,但是请不要离开
You don’t have to entrench, but please don’t go away.
斯皮尔少校,听到了吗? – 是的,长官,我会安置士兵的
Major Spear, do you have that? – Yes sir. I’ll place the men.
你,长官,请跟我来去向汉考克将军报告
You, sir, are to report to General Hancock. If you will follow me.
汉考克将军,长官 这是缅因第20团的张伯伦上校
General Hancock, sir. Colonel Chamberlain, 20th Maine.
张伯伦
Chamberlain.
是的
Yes.
我听手下说你部的战斗可能是最艰苦的…
I hear from the ranks that you may have been more involved…
…比我听说的所有战斗都艰苦
…than anyone in staff has told me.
我们当时很艰难
We were involved.
他们告诉我你组织了一次反冲锋
They tell me you ordered a bayonet charge.
这没什么羞耻的,我跟你说
It’s nothing to be ashamed of, I might tell you.
我会好好了解这事儿的
I’m gonna look into it.
我们这支军队需要善战的士兵
We need fighting men in this army.
有一件事情是肯定的,我们需要更多的旅长
And one damn thing is sure, we’ll need some brigade commanders.
同时,干得非常好,非常棒
Meanwhile, well done. Well done.
谢谢,长官
Thank you, sir.
你部的装备如何?
How’s your outfit?
我们需要补给 士兵们需要食物 还有弹♥药♥
We need provisions. The men need a meal. And ammunition.
我们弹尽粮绝了
We’re out.
满足张伯伦上校的要求
See to Colonel Chamberlain’s request.
我希望你能写一份报告
I want you to write a report.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
他们说你是一名教师
They say you are a schoolteacher.
那是很久以前的事情了
That seems like a long time ago.
有些时候我都不太确定我打了多久的仗了
Sometimes I’m not sure how long I’ve been in this war.
三年,还是三辈子
Three years or three lifetimes.
你教什么? – 修辞学…
What do you teach? – Rhetoric…
…自然还有宗教学 在鲍登学院,长官
…and Natural and Revealed Religion. At Bowdoin College, sir.