我希望你带着你的军前进
I want you to bring your corps forward.
占领中间的高地并且在联邦的防线上撕开缺口
Take those heights in the center and split the Federal line.
长官,嗯…
Sir, uh…
…我的两个师,胡德的和麦克劳斯的…
…my two divisions, Hood’s and McLaws’…
他们昨天强行军之后直接开始了战斗
They executed a forced march yesterday and went straight into the fight.
战斗力已经减半了
Lost half of their strength.
战斗减员也有50%,长官
Sustained 50 percent casualties, sir.
他们很疲倦,需要休息
They are tired and need rest.
那里有,嗯…
There are…
…现在在我们右翼的那两座岩石山上有联邦的三个军
…now three Federal corps on those two rocky hills on our right flank.
如果我让我所有的士兵都前进的话…
If I move all my people forward…
…我部将失去侧翼掩护
…we won’t have a flank at all.
他们转个向就能不费吹灰之力的击溃我军
They’ll simply swing around and crush us.
他们上面的掩体非常好 他们就盼着这么打
They are well entrenched up there. They aim to fight.
他们有大量精锐的炮兵
They got good artillery and plenty of it.
长官,我们发起的任何攻击都必须越过山上的那片空地
Sir, any attack we make will be uphill over open ground.
我们怎么联络?怎么协同作战?
How do we communicate? How do we coordinate attack?
他们都集结在那里形成了一个弧形
They’re all massed together, damned near in a circle.
非常适合内线作战的阵型
Good interior lines.
不管我们攻击哪一点,他们的援军都会很快赶到
Anywhere we hit them, they’ll bring up reinforcements in minutes.
但如果我们要增援的话都不得不走几英里
But we try to bring up support, it has to come from miles away.
他们的大炮会看到每一个动作
Their cannon will see every move.
该死,他们的大炮现在就在观察着我们
Hell, their cannon are looking down on us right now.
在中♥央♥的话,就可以突破他们
In the center, they will break.
长官?
Sir?
他们会在中间被突破
They will break in the center.
那些人会从各个地方募兵…数以千计的士兵
They’ll be gaining men from all directions, guns by the thousands…
…但里士满却没有什么可以给我们输送的了
…and Richmond has nothing left to send us.
所以,如果我们留下,就必须打
So, if we stay, we fight.
如果我们现在撤退,在奋战了两天之后…
If we retreat now, we will have fought here for two days…
…撤退的话,等于是告诉敌人我们无法击退他们
…and will leave knowing we could not drive him off.
而我绝不把这片土地留给敌人占领 绝不,先生
And I have never yet left the enemy in command of the field. No, sir.
撤退不再是应该考虑的事情了
Retreat is no longer an option.
敌人的两翼受到攻击
The enemy has been attacked on both wings.
他们去增援那里…
He has reinforced there…
…并且两翼变得非常的强大 那些山上和石头后面
…and is strongest there on the wings. The hills and the rocks.
所以中间是薄弱环节
So the weak point is in the center.
他们控制了高地
They have command of the high ground.
但那个长坡,你看到那了吗?
But in that long slope, you see there?
中间的那个长坡那就是他们最脆弱的地方
The long slope in the center, there’s where he’s most vulnerable.
皮克特将军的弗吉尼亚部队是唯一没有参加过战斗的,对吧?
General Pickett’s Virginians are the only people not yet engaged. Yes?
在我最得力的干将朗斯特里特将军的率领下…
With General Longstreet in command, my old warhorse…
…和敌人在他自己所选择的战场上面对面的决战…
…meeting the enemy face to face on ground of his choosing…
…堂堂正正,我们一定能获胜
…and with honor, we will prevail.
长官,赖斯上校的信使
Sir, a courier from Colonel Rice.
张伯伦上校
Colonel Chamberlain.
爬上真累,长官
That’s some climb, sir.
我的士兵需要补给,上尉
My men need rations, lieutenant.
赖斯上校让我来告诉你你的部队会被撤离,长官
Colonel Rice has entrusted me to tell you that you’re relieved, sir.
撤离?
Relieved?
新的部队正在上来,他们会防御这里,长官
Fresh troops are on their way up and they’ll take over here, sir.
赖斯上校希望你的部队能够得到休整
Colonel Rice wants to give your people a rest.
他希望你后撤我给你指路
He wants you to fall back, and I’m to show you the way.
后撤
Fall back. Yeah.
埃利斯,让大家集♥合♥我们要离开了
Ellis, have the men fall in. We’re moving out.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
我们要去哪儿?
Where are we going?
噢,一个可爱的地方
Oh, sir. Lovely spot.
非常安静,战场上最安全的地方
Very quiet. Safest place on the battlefield.
战线最中间的地方
Right smack-dab in the center.
是的,先生,将军
Yes, sir, general.
我们要进攻中间
We will attack the center.
但我想你对侧翼的看法是对的
But I think you are right about the flank.
昨天胡德和麦克劳斯部受到了重创
Hood and McLaws were both very badly damaged yesterday.
我再分派给你两个师:佩蒂格鲁将军和特林布尔将军的师
I’ll give you two other divisions: General Pettigrew and General Trimble.
他们更加强大而且经过休整
They are stronger and rested.
现在,你指挥着近三个师的兵力,包括皮克特师
Now you will have nearly three divisions at your command, including Pickett.
你的目标是那边的树林
Your objective will be that clump of trees yonder.
攻击前,我们先集中炮火轰击
The attack will be preceded by massed artillery.
我们会把集中轰击那一片小区域
We’ll concentrate all of our guns on that one small area.
拿破仑会把它称作“热火”
A feu d’enfer, as Napoleon would call it.
当炮击生效以后,你部就能突破敌军防线
When the artillery has had its effect, your charge will break the line.
你指挥着将近1万5千人,将军
You will have nearly 15,000 men at your command, general.
在你准备好之后,由你选择进攻的时机
You may begin whenever you’re ready.
但一定要计划周密 一定计划周密,我恳求你,先生
But plan it well. Do plan it well, I pray you, sir.
我们把一切都押在这上面了
We stake everything on this.
长官,请让我说几句
Sir, with your permission.
长官,我当了一辈子兵了
Sir, I’ve been a soldier all my life.
我一路爬到这个位置 你知道我的经历
I have served from the ranks on up. You know my service.
现在,我必须告诉你,我相信这次进攻会失败
I must tell you now, I believe this attack will fail.
不是1万5千人能不能拿下那座山头的问题
No 15,000 men ever made can take that ridge.
是那里有1英里多的开阔地的问题
It’s a distance of more than a mile over open ground.
当士兵们从树林中走出来的时候他们会处在…
When the men come out of the trees they will be…
…北方炮兵的狂轰滥炸之下
…under fire of Yankee artillery from all over the field.
那是汉考克的炮兵
Those are Hancock’s boys.
现在,他们就像我们在弗雷德里克斯堡一样筑起了石墙
And now they have the stone wall like we did at Fredericksburg.
我们尽我们的职责,将军
We do our duty, general.
我们做必须做的事情
We do what we must do.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
亚历山大上校指挥炮兵,而且他非常的优秀
Colonel Alexander is in charge of the artillery and he is very good.
在你的士兵到达那之前我们依靠他把敌人从山上击退
We will depend on him to drive them off the ridge before your divisions get there.
这时候你的人就知道该干什么了 全部1万5千人…
And the men will know what to do. All 15,000…
…在敌军防线的中♥央♥以方队集结 那座矮的山头
…will concentrate squarely on the center of that line. That lower ridge there.
整个战线中,那里最薄弱
The line is not strong there.
米德将军在两翼的兵力都很强大
General Meade has great strength on both flanks.
所以中间肯定很脆弱
He must be weak in the center.
我估计他在中间的兵力不会超过5000人
I estimate his strength in the center not to be more than 5,000 men.
而且亚历山大上校的炮兵会像在弗雷德里克斯堡一样重创他们
And Colonel Alexander’s artillery will break them up like at Fredericksburg.
是,长官 – 再见了
Yes, sir. – Farewell.
你在想什么,将军?
What are you thinking, general?
…是这样…长官…
…Well, sir…
…皮克特师是我这个军的
…Pickett’s division is from my corps.
但是另外两个师是A·P·希尔军的
But the other two units are of A. P. Hill’s corps.
不应该让希尔来指挥进攻吗?
Shouldn’t General Hill lead the attack, sir?
再说一遍?
Say again?
不应该让希尔来指挥进攻吗?
Shouldn’t General Hill lead the attack?
我道歉,长官
My apologies, sir.
我总是非常谨慎的
I’ve always been very cautious.
非常的小心
Very cautious.
所有人中我最信任的是你
There is no one I trust more.
长官,如果我们能拿下那座山头…
Sir, if we can take that ridge…
当然能,而且一定会
We can. And we will.
将军,上帝与你同在
General, God go with you.
乔治,乔治,你来指挥进攻
George, George you are leading attack.
现在去准备吧,乔治
Now get ready, George.
把你的人带到那些树后面 一会儿我再告诉你具体的计划
Take your men behind the line of trees. I’ll give you details later.
现在行动,乔治!
Now, move, George!
长官
Sir.
请原谅我的破裤子,长官 骑马骑久了就这样了
Forgive me the torn trousers, sir. An officer riding around like this.
亚历山大上校
Colonel Alexander.
那座小山上的联邦大炮可能会制♥造♥一些麻烦
Those Federal cannon up on that little rocky hill can cause some trouble.
我希望你调一些炮打哑他们
I want you to assign some guns and keep them silent.
然后…
Then…
…当步兵前进的时候你也往前移♥动♥
…you move forward when the infantry advance…
…保证我们两翼的安全
…keeping the flanks clear.
波特,你多大了,孩子?
Porter, how old are you, son?
长官,我28岁,长官
Sir, I’m 28, sir. – Uh-huh.
波特,我们还必须清除掉那些位于中间小山上的炮
Porter, we must also clear those guns off that low center ridge right there.
这非常重要 – 是,长官
That’s the main thing. – Yes, sir.
靠你了,孩子 – 是,长官,我一定不停的轰
I’m relying on you. – I’ll sure keep them shooting.