但有一天我们会发现…
But there comes a time…
我们根本没有为如此众多的牺牲做好准备
We are never quite prepared for so many to die.
我们知道会有人死亡向死去的战友致敬…
We do expect the occasional empty chair. A salute to fallen comrades…
…但这场战争一直持续着,人们不停的死去…
…but this war goes on and on and the men die…
…这个代价变得太大了
…and the price gets ever higher.
我们已经准备好面对一些牺牲,但没有准备好面对全体牺牲
We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us.
有一点请你记住,将军
And there is the great trap, general.
当你开始进攻的时候,什么都别想
When you attack, you must hold nothing back.
全身心地对你自己负责
You must commit yourself totally.
我们在血海中漂浮,而我希望结束它
We are adrift here in a sea of blood, and I want it to end.
希望这是最后一场战役
I want this to be the final battle.
我今早一醒来,就在想他可能走了,乔治•米德
I woke up this morning and I half thought he’d be gone, George Meade.
他不想在这里决战 是的,长官
That he would not want to fight here. Yes, sir.
我一醒来就在想“他将要离开…
I woke up and I thought, “Meade will be gone…
…这场战争又要无休止的进行下去了”
…and this war will go on and on and on.”
那好,长官…
Well, sir…
…我们要让他为留下来感到后悔…
…we’ll make him sorry he stayed.
上帝与你同在,将军
God go with you, general.
也与你同在,将军
And with you, general.
离南边很近了
That’s mostly to the south.
我想叛军都在葛底斯堡呢 你不会希望他们在侧翼出现吧?
I thought the rebs were all in Gettysburg. You don’t suppose they’re flanking again?
妈妈的最爱,走吧
Mama’s favorite. Let’s go.
劳伦斯,怎么了?
Lawrence, what’s happening?
长官,埃斯塔布鲁克下士回来报到,长官
Sir, Corporal Estabrook reporting back, sir.
布鲁克,我以为你生病了呢
Brook, I thought you were on sick call.
是的,长官
Yes, sir.
现在怎么样了?
How are you now?
是胃病 我呕吐了,长官
It’s my stomach. I’ve been vomiting.
一定是吃错东西了
It’s something you ate.
停止休息,我们应该继续行军了 – 是,长官
Finish up. We’re about to move out. – Yes, sir.
张伯伦上校 – 文森特上校
Col. Chamberlain. – Col. Vincent.
集♥合♥你的人跟着我准备急行军
Form your men. Follow me and prepare to double-quick.
我们要爬上那座山的顶端,就在那
We’re going to the top of that hill, right there.
听到了吗? – 是的,长官,立刻执行
Hear that? – Yes. I’ll set it up.
叛军就在我们的左翼
The rebels are stacking up on our left flank.
我们必须紧跟他们
And we’ve got to follow them.
快点儿 – 是,长官
Make haste. – Yes.
全体集♥合♥!
Sound the assembly!
跟我来
Follow me.
装药!上弹!
Powder in! Load!
将军
General.
看那里,到处都是大石头
Look here, the ground is strewn with boulders.
上方的壕沟中布满了敌人
The soldiers up there are entrenched all over the ground.
石头后面还埋伏着一些狙击手
And there are guns in the rocks.
我们的一举一动都会被看到
Every move I make is observed.
如果我按命令行动,我师会损失一半的兵力
If I attack as ordered, I lose half my division.
他们会从那座山上紧紧扼住我们的咽喉
And they’ll be looking down our throats at us from that hill right there.
我必须从右面绕过去,长官
We must move around to the right, sir.
从后面歼灭他们
And take them from the rear.
山姆…总指挥是不会同意从那些山的侧翼包抄的
Sam…the commanding general will not allow a flanking movement around those hills.
昨天我就在争这事 今早我还在争
I argued it yesterday. I argued it all morning.
我反对现在所进行的一切进攻行动
I’ve been arguing against any attack at all.
但我没法阻止 你也明白的
I can’t call this one off. You know it.
让我爬上南边的那座大圆顶山
Let me move up the big round hill to the south.
那上面没人 如果我们能在那架一个炮兵阵地的话
Nobody is on that. If I could get a battery up there-
没有时间了
There ain’t enough time.
你必须砍倒树木才能部署你的大炮
You’d have to cut down trees to place your artillery.
等你能开火的时候天都黑了
It would be dark before you were in action.
另一方面,如果对方在那布置了大炮的话…
One the other hand, if they get batteries up there…
…我们就更要分秒必争了 你必须拿下那座山头
…we’ll need buckets to catch the lead. You’ve got to take that hill.
但敌人甚至不用枪都能守住那
They don’t even need guns to defend that.
他们只用把滚石向我们投下来就行了
All they need to do is roll rocks down on you.
去就是了
Just take it.
将军!
General,
我保留反对意见
I do this under protest.
山姆,你是我最好的将领
Sam, you are the best I got.
现在,先生,如果你准备好了,为何还不动身?
Now, sir, if you are ready, why don’t you take that hill?
他们又打过头了
They’re overshooting again.
嗨,伙计,你注意到了吗?叛军的炮火总是打过头
Hey, fellows, you notice how that reb artillery always overshoots?
汤姆? – 是的,长官
Tom? – Yes, sir.
另外一支敌军更靠近了今天会很艰苦的
Another one closer and it could be hard day for Mother.
你到后面去看到那些落伍的士兵
Go back to the rear. Watch out for stragglers.
和我保持一定距离
Keep your distance from me.
劳伦斯,我不想…
Lawrence, I don’t…
峰顶下方
该死的叛军就在那下面…
The whole damn reb army is down there…
…正在包围我们的侧翼 他们随时都可能出现
…and coming up around our flanks. They could be here any minute.
我们必须坚守这个地方 必须坚守
We’ve got to hold this place. We’ve got to hold it.
这样,我把你的部队部署在这里
Well, all right. I place you here.
从这里开始,把你的团放在这条线的左边
Put your colors here, and set your regiment to the left of this line.
其他的团会在你的右边,明白了吗?
The rest of the brigade will form on your right. Understood?
是的,埃利斯,记住这一点 – 是,长官
Yes. Ellis, this is the point. – Sir.
你的团在这一点的左边
Your regiment is to the left of this point.
上校,长官 你在防线的最后面 – 是的
Colonel, sir. You’re the end of the line. – Yes.
你们是整个联邦军队最左边的部队 明白了吗?
You’re the extreme left of the Union army. Understood?
战线从这里一直到墓园岭…
The line runs from here back to Cemetery Hill…
…但它在这里结束 – 明白
…but it ends here. – Understood.
不管遇到什么情况,你都不能撤退
You can’t withdraw under any condition.
如果你离开了,整个防线的侧翼就完了
If you go, this line will be flanked.
如果你离开了,敌人就会越过山腹把我们扫平…
If you go, the enemy will sweep up over the hillside…
…而且从背后歼灭整个军队
…and take this entire army from the rear.
你必须在这个地方坚守到最后 – 是,长官
You must defend this place to the last. – Yes, sir.
现在让我们尽忠职守吧!
Now we’ll see how professors fight.
埃利斯,让全团就位 叫连长们都过来
Ellis, position the regiment. All company commanders here.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
神射手去左边!
Sharpshooters to the left!
其余的去右边!
Battalion on the right!
现在进入战斗位置,快!
Now file into line. March.
号♥手,吹军官集♥合♥号♥
Bugler, sound the officer’s call.
“坚守到最后” 什么的最后?
“Hold to the last.” To the last what?
简直是文字游戏
Exercise in rhetoric.
最后一发子弹?最后一个人?
Last shell? Last man?
最后一寸土地?最后一个叛军?
Last foot of ground? Last reb?
前进!
Advance!
冲过去!
Move out!
调转炮口!
Turn those guns around!
先生们!宾夕法尼亚第83团、纽约第44团、密歇根第16团…
Gentlemen, the 83rd Pennsylvania, 44th New York, and 16th Michigan…
…将移♥动♥到我们右边 但如果你们往左边看,你们会看到…
…will be moving in to our right. But if you look left, you will see…
…什么人都没有
…that there is no one there.
因为我们是战线的最边沿 联邦军队到这里就没了
Because we’re the end of the line. The Union army stops here.
我们是侧翼
We are the flank.
明白了吗,先生们?
Do you understand, gentlemen?
我们没有时间重整队伍,我们不能撤退
We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw.
我们今天不得不顽强奋战
We are going to have to be stubborn today.
让兄弟们就位,告诉他们蹲伏好
Put the boys in position, tell them to stay down.
把石头堆高,那是你们最好的掩体
Pile the rocks up high for the best protection you can.
我希望预备队退后20码
I want the reserve pulled back about 20 yards.
斜坡对我们是有利的
Sloping ground is good ground.
如果你们被突破,严重减员,防线出现缺口…
If you have any breakthroughs, men wounded, a hole in the line…
…预备队会顶上去 我们有多少弹♥药♥?
…plug it with the reserve. How’s our ammunition?
长官,估计每个人♥大♥约有60发子弹
Sir, I think about 60 rounds per man.
很好,60发,我想…是的,足够了
That’s good. 60 rounds. I think… Yes, that’s adequate.
还有问题吗?
Any questions?
上校
Colonel.
我觉得战斗是在山的另一边打响的
It seems to me the fighting is on that side of the hill.
我认为我们是大后方
It seems to me that we’re the back door.
所有的战斗都会在前线开打
And everything’s going on at the front door.
那座山陡峭多石,山坡空旷 直接攻上去是不可能的
That hill is steep and rocky. It’s bare. To come straight up it is impossible.
叛军会试图绕过它的
The reb army is going to swing around it.
他们会从那个凹口过来就在那
It’ll come up through that notch right over there.
他们会藉着树木的掩护行进,试图包围侧翼