将军? – 行动吧,先生们
General? – Let’s move out, gentlemen.
长官
Sir.
巴克斯戴尔旅的四个团全部来自密西西比
巴克斯戴尔将军,密西西比人都做好战斗准备了吗?
General Barksdale, is Mississippi ready for this day?
都准备好了 – 很好
Mississippi is ready. – Very well, sir.
让我们干掉他们,山姆
Let’s go to it, Sam.
如果李将军的策略正确…
If he’s right, General Lee…
…那么太阳下山的时候战争就结束了
…then the war is over by sundown.
走着瞧吧
We’ll see.
我不喜欢在没有皮克特部的情况下参战
I don’t like going in without Pickett.
就像只穿着一只靴子打仗一样
It’s like going in with one boot off.
我会尽量等他
I’ll wait as long as I can.
你对敌军还有什么看法吗?
Do you have any idea of the force?
我们已经发现了五个军,包括昨天击溃的两个军
We counted five corps, including the two involved in yesterday’s action.
但这并不意味着在那些…
That don’t mean how many might be…
…山岭的背后就没有藏着更多的士兵
.. hidden behind those hills there.
该死的,斯图尔特不见了我们也没办法确认敌军的军力
And, damn it, with Stuart gone there ain’t no way of knowing for sure.
嘿,山姆
Hey, Sam.
今天你一定要照顾好自己,听到了吗?
Take good care of yourself today, you hear?
你也是,皮特
You, too, Pete.
等你的命令,长官
With your permission, sir.
真不相信我有这份荣幸
I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure.
那是约翰•贝尔•胡德少将,但我们都叫他山姆
That’s Major General John Bell Hood, but we call him Sam.
我的三个师长之一 来自德克萨斯和亚拉巴马来的伙计
One of my three division commanders. Fellows from Texas and Alabama.
我记得你去过德克萨斯
Oh, you’ve been to Texas, as I recall.
是的,实际上我就是从那过来的
Yes. Actually that’s where I came through.
向拒绝我进入的北方佬海军致敬
Courtesy of the Yankee Navy who denied me any other point of entry.
德克萨斯,了不起的地方
It’s a marvelous place, Texas.
到处是红番和墨西哥人…
Full of red Indians and Mexicans…
…还有牛仔、强盗和亡命徒
…cowboys, bandits and desperados.
比这个地方还要潮湿闷热
Even hotter and more humid than this place.
难以想像
If that’s possible.
那个胡德…
That fellow Hood…
…他在战斗中的表现配得上他的外表吗?
…does his performance in battle match his appearance?
他看起来很不错
He really does look the part.
他尽忠职守
He does his job.
我不得不说,真是一支有趣的部队
Most interesting army, I must say.
弗吉尼亚绅士与德克萨斯农民…
Virginia gentlemen fighting alongside Texas frontiersmen…
…以及路易斯安那的山民并肩战斗
…and bayou bushwhackers from Louisiana.
一起横跨大♥陆♥
Drawn together from across a continent.
我曾经到过这些地方,感觉自己很像是
Having traveled a good piece of it myself, I feel a part…
…或者说简直就是这场战争中的一员了
…or almost a member of this enterprise.
你们称自己是美国人,但你们简直就像地道的英国移♥民♥
You call yourselves Americans, but you’re really transplanted Englishmen.
看看你们的名字,李,胡德…
Look at your names, Lee, Hood…
…朗斯特里特,杰克逊,斯图尔特,
…Longstreet, Jackson, Stuart.
我的人是荷兰的
My people were Dutch.
你的敌人的名字也一样米德,胡克,汉考克,还有…
And the same for your adversaries. Meade, Hooker, Hancock, and…
…可以说吗?林肯
…shall I say? Lincoln.
同样的信仰,同样的语言同样的文化和历史
The same God. Same language. Same culture and history.
同样的歌♥曲,故事,神话和传说
The same songs, stories, legends, myths.
但是有着不同的梦想
But different dreams.
不同的梦想
Different dreams.
真是太遗憾了,太遗憾了
It’s so very sad. Very sad.
你们英国人也曾经打过内战,不是吗?
You English had your own civil war once, didn’t you?
那是老远以前的事情了我们都快想不起来了
That was ages ago. We wouldn’t dream of it now.
骑士和圆颅党
Cavaliers and Roundheads.
“砍掉他的头!砍掉他的头”
“Off with his head! Off with his head!”
英国内战造成了4%的人口死亡,比例高于第一次世界大战
遍地都是头颅
Heads lying everywhere.
人走一步就要被落地的王冠绊一下
One could hardly take a step without tripping over a fallen crown.
现在我们已经♥文♥明多了
We’re much more civilized now,
我向你保证
I assure you.
我们有太多的共同点了,你的国家和我的
We have so much in common, your country and mine.
我诚挚得希望我们能够结成同盟
I earnestly hope that we shall become allies.
你的政♥府♥是绝对不会跟一个实行奴隶制度…
Your government would never ally itself with a Confederacy…
…的邦联结盟的 你我都心知肚明
…that had the institution of slavery. You know that. So do I.
炮击萨姆特堡:内战爆发的标志
我们应该先解放黑奴,然后再向萨姆特堡开火
We should have freed the slaves, then fired on Fort Sumter.
我想我们南方人和你们英国人至少有一点是共同的
I guess we Southerners and you English have at least one thing in common.
我们宁可输掉战争,也绝对不承认错误
We’d rather lose the war than admit to the mistake.
指美国独♥立♥战争和1812年战争
我记得我们战胜过你们英国人两次
We whupped you British twice as I recollect.
你的坦率令人敬佩,即便有些古怪
Your candor is admirable, if somewhat eccentric.
稍许古怪对将军是有好处的
A little eccentricity is good for a general.
我们南方人就像我们的传教士一样有点疯狂
We Southerners like our men religious and a little bit mad.
可能这就是女人往往会爱上传教士的原因吧
I suspect that’s why the women fall in love with preachers.
请恕我唐突…
If I may be so bold…
…究竟有什么东西可阻止北方佬攻击我们这里呢?
…what’s to prevent the Yankees from attacking us here?
我留意到你们不愿花工夫挖壕或者修筑防御线
I notice you haven’t bothered to entrench or build a fortified perimeter.
噢,我们今天提高警觉了
Ohh. We were alert today.
但乔治•米德老头决不会给我们好处
But old George Meade ain’t gonna do us any favors.
我们务须做的是一定要引他攻击我们
What we must do is we must make him attack us.
为此,我们必须占据他与华盛顿之间…
And in order to do that, we have to occupy dangerous ground…
…那个危险地带
…between him and Washington.
那么,那么政客们就会逼迫他攻击我们
Then,then the politicians will press him to attack us.
而他肯定会这样做,只差迟早
Which he will most certainly do, given time.
噢,我明白了 高明,真高明
Oh, I see. Very clever. Very clever.
所以李才不挖壕…
So Lee doesn’t dig in…
…因为明知米德不会在这攻击他
…knowing with certainty that Meade will not attack him here.
米德会期待他转行向南面…
Meade will expect him to swing around to the south…
…试图切断他跟首都、物资供应和储备的联♥系♥
…in an attempt to cut him off from the capital, his supplies and reserves.
所以当米德盘算着自己的位置担心自己会被夹击时…
So while Meade ponders his own position, for fear he’ll be flanked…
…李却竟然在这攻击他,而这是他万万意料不到的
…Lee will actually attack him here, where he least suspects it.
他被自己那虚假的安全感蒙蔽了…
Lulled as he is by his own false feeling of security…
…即因为他以为占据了战场上似乎很优越的地势…
…derived by his holding the seemingly superior topographical battlefield position…
…一句话,以为占据了高地
…in short, the higher ground.
精妙,绝对精妙的兵法
Brilliant. Sheer military brilliance.
李将军是顶尖的战略家,是使诈的大♥师♥
General Lee is the ultimate strategist, a master deceiver.
长官,能身临这战场实在是太令人兴奋了
Sir, it is exhilarating to be upon this field.
嗯,我会把你的敬意…
Well, I will pass on…
…向将军♥转♥达的
…your complimentary sentiments to the general.
再见,弗里曼特尔上校
Good morning, Colonel Freemantle.
以圣父圣子圣灵之名
In nomine pater, et filii, et spiritus sancti.
阿门
Amen.
朗斯特里特将军
General Longstreet.
介意我跟你在一起吗?
Do you mind if I accompany you?
一点儿也不,我非常高兴你能加入我们
Not at all. I’m very glad to have you with us, sir.
这热度让我想起了墨西哥
The heat reminds me of Mexico.
是啊,但那里非常的干燥
Yes, but there it was very dry.
那里很不错
That was a good outfit.
我记得冲进查普尔特佩克堡城墙的有乔治•皮克特
I remember storming the ramparts of Chapultapec with old George Pickett.
雷诺兹…我的老朋友尤利西斯·山姆·格兰特
Reynolds…My old friend, Ulysses Sam Grant.
在那支军队中确实有很多好人 – 是的,的确
There was some good men in that army. – Yes, indeed.
他们中的一些人正在等待着我们深入那些大山中
Some of those men are waiting for us now up ahead on those ridges.
我不知道,有些时候我感到很困惑
I don’t know. I sometimes feel troubled.
那些伙计们,那些穿着蓝装的孩子们他们看起来一点儿都不像敌人
Those fellows, those boys in blue, they never quite seem the enemy.
我知道
I know.
我曾经指挥过他们中的一些人 也宣过誓
I used to command some of those boys. Swore an oath too.
我不能与佐治亚和南卡罗莱纳为敌
I couldn’t fight against Georgia and South Carolina.
不能对抗我自己的家人
Not against my own family.
你错了先生,我们对弗吉尼亚有更神圣的职责
No, sir. There was always a higher duty to Virginia.
那是我们的大义所在
That was our first duty.
这一点毫无疑问
There was never any question about that.
我想是吧 – 我们现在还是别想这些了
I guess so. – Let us not think about that now.
天命在上帝手中
The issue is in God’s hands.
我们只能尽人事
We can only do our duty.
将军?
General?
从军有一个最大的要义
Soldiering has one great trap.
想当一个好士兵,你必须热爱军队
To be a good soldier you must love the army.
想当一个好军官,你必须时刻准备牺牲自己或…
To be a good commander, you must be willing to order the death…
…热爱的事物
…of the thing you love.
你和我都不惧怕死亡
We do not fear our own death, you and I.