我们整天行军,我们不断战斗
We marched all day, and we’d fought.
而你的命令是尽可能地避免全线交战
And your orders were to caution against bringing on a general engagement.
有报告说北部有联邦军,长官
There were reports of Federal troops in the north, sir.
我们能带的大炮不够守住这座山
We couldn’t bring sufficient artillery to bear on that hill.
我们决定最好等我们另一个师来,约翰逊那个
We decided it was best to wait for another of our divisions, Johnson’s.
是,长官,约翰逊天黑了才到,就刚才
Yes, sir. Johnson didn’t arrive till after dark, just a while ago.
他现在正在外面,勘察地形
He’s out there now, looking over the terrain.
厄尔利将军,你认为明早是否能够在你那一翼展开攻击?
General Early, do you think you can attack on your flank in the morning?
这座山一旦筑起防御工事将很难被夺取…
That hill will be a very strong position once it’s fortified…
…而他们眼下正是这样做,长官
…which is what they’re doing right now, sir.
这点我很清楚,将军
I am very much aware of that, general.
您亲自视察过地形了吗,长官?
Have you looked over the ground yourself, sir?
只是离远看过
From a distance only.
我认为我们不应该攻击这个点
I do not think we should attack this point.
这个据点非常坚固
This will be the strong point.
我们的军队今天边行军边战斗已经累得不行
Our troops have marched hard and fought hard today.
我建议让我们留守在此由其余的军队从另一翼进攻
I suggest we hold here while the rest of the army attacks the other flank.
你估计从你那一翼进攻能行吗?
Do you think an attack on your flank will succeed?
我认为代价会很大
I think it would be very costly.
代价很大,长官
Very costly, sir.
罗兹将军?
General Rodes?
我们,嗯,当然可以进攻,将军…
We, uh, could attack of course, general…
…但士兵们已经狠狠打过一仗而且这个据点很坚固
…but the boys have had a good fight and that will be a strong position.
将军,很抱歉我们今天没有把那座山拿下
General, I am sorry we didn’t take that hill today.
那么,今天就这样吧
Well, this day is done.
大家知道吗,朗斯特里特将军建议我们把军队绕向右边…
You know, General Longstreet proposes that we move our army around to the right…
…包抄联邦军…
…and flank the Federal army…
…插在米德和华盛顿之间
…and interpose between Meade and Washington.
那么要撤离这个据点了?
And to vacate this position?
要离开这个我们刚刚拿下的镇么,长官?
To leave this town we’ve just captured, sir?
这个镇在军事上无关紧要,将军
This town is of no military significance whatsoever, general.
在加强防御的敌人面前全军撤走?
To move this entire corps in the face of a fortified enemy?
不是你们说你们没法在早上进攻吗?
And yet you tell me that you cannot attack in the morning?
先生们,如果我们不撤退,如果我们不在敌人面前战术转移…
Gentlemen, if we do not withdraw and if we do not maneuver in the face of the enemy…
…那我们就必须进攻 还有其他选择么?
…then we must attack. Is there any other alternative?
希尔将军? – 没有,长官
General Hill? – No, sir.
很好
Very well.
我真的感谢各位
I do thank you gentlemen.
将军…
General…
…我想我今天可能行动太慢了
…I believe I may have been too slow today.
万分抱歉
I regret that very much.
我只是想谨慎一些
I was trying to be careful.
也许过于谨慎了
May have been too careful.
你今天赢了一仗,将军
You won a victory this day, general.
不算大胜 其实可以是更大的一场胜仗
It was not a large victory. It could have been larger.
也许我们其实还可以再打得狠一点
Perhaps we could’ve pushed harder.
不过这终究是场胜仗
But it was a victory nonetheless.
你的部下作战英勇
And your people fought valiantly.
这是你指挥的第一场仗
This was your first campaign commanding a corps.
现在你该知道,打仗不是表面看来那么简单的
Now you know it’s not always as simple as it sometimes appears.
回去休息吧,明天再说
Go and rest now for tomorrow.
还有别的吩咐吗,长官? – 没有了,谢谢,少校
Will there be anything else, sir? – No, thank you, major.
好的
Very well.
早晨将有一场大战
In the morning is the great battle.
明天或者后天,整场战争就会分出胜负来了
Tomorrow or the next day will determine the war.
弗吉尼亚屹立于此
Virginia is here.
整个南方屹立于此
All the South is here.
明天该怎么做呢?
What will you do tomorrow?
到了早晨…
In the morning…
…敌人会加强高地的防御
…the enemy will be up in fortified positions on high ground.
朗斯特里特的军会赶来…
Longstreet’s corps will be coming up…
…我们的人会准备好去完成任务
…and my boys will be ready to finish the job.
如果我现在告诉他们撤退呢?不,先生
If I tell them to withdraw now? No, sir.
他们已经很耐心地等到了现在
They’ve been patient for far too long.
当敌人离开营地向山上进发的时候…
With the enemy out there up on the hill…
…他们会做好准备完成使命
…they’ll be ready to finish the job.
但我甚至都不知道那的具体情况
But I don’t even know how much is up there.
多少人?多少门大炮?
How many men? How many cannon?
我也不知道侧翼的情况
I don’t know the ground on the flanks.
我不知道
I don’t know.
如果我等到早晨,一大早…
If I wait in the morning, the early morning…
…也许米德在压力下会进攻
…maybe Meade, under pressure, will attack. Hm.
这会让朗斯特里特将军非常高兴的
That would make General Longstreet very happy.
但是我想米德是不会下来的
But I don’t think Meade will come down.
而且我也不能撤退,所以…
And I don’t think I can withdraw, so…
…听天由命吧,就这样
…God’s will, thy will be done.
1863年7月2日星期四
第二天
索雷尔少校,你以前见过
Major Sorrel, you’ve met before.
谢谢,将军
Thank you, general.
长官,在过去的几个小时里我们一直监视着联邦军队的动向
The Federal position was scouted during the last several hours.
我们把它标下来了
We’ve drawn it up here.
现在的情况是这样的
Now, this is the situation.
联邦军的阵地形状好似鱼钩
The position of the Federal army is in the shape of a fishhook.
从这里开始,看到这两座山了吗?
It starts here. You see these two hills?
这座和有墓地这座
This one and the one with the cemetery.
他们的部队在这两个地方集结
That is where they have concentrated their troops.
钩子就从那开始的
The hook starts there.
现在它蜿蜒着并且顺着这个小山丘往南延伸…
Now, it curves around and comes down this low ridge to the south…
…一直到高地的这两座山
…ending before two round hills of high elevation.
联邦军队在这两座山没有部署兵力
The Federals have no troops on those two hills.
继续,少校 – 谢谢,长官
Carry on,major. – Thank you,sir.
我们现在都知道是由汉考克将军指挥联邦军队的中军
We now know that General Hancock is in charge of the Union center.
现在大概有6万到7万人已经进入了战斗位置
There are now perhaps 60,000 to 70,000 men already in position.
也可能有9万人之多
Perhaps as high as 90,000.
我跟尤厄尔将军说了你的建议…
I spoke with General Ewell of your suggestion…
…绕到敌军右翼,从侧面进攻联邦军
…that we move around to the right to flank the Federal army.
他认为从葛底斯堡撤退…
And he is of the opinion that withdrawing from Gettysburg…
…并且把它交还给敌人会严重动摇我军的军心
…and giving it back to the enemy would be very bad for morale.
没有必要 而且可能非常危险
It is unnecessary. It might even be dangerous.
你不同意吧?
Do you disagree?
我们必须进攻
We must attack.
虽然我并不希望在这个地方开战…
I would prefer not to fight upon this ground…
…但我们拖延的每一分钟都会被敌人用来加强防御
…but every moment we delay the enemy uses to reinforce himself.
在这里,我们无法打持久战
We cannot support ourselves for long in this country.
我们绝对不能让联邦军队绕到我们后方…
We must not allow the Federal army to move around behind…
…切断我们的退路,绝不,先生
…and cut us off from home. No, sir.
我们必须现在就进攻
We must strike him now.
我们昨天打败了他们,他们会记得的
We pushed him yesterday and he will remember it.
士兵们都准备好了,而且战意高昂 我看不到更好的选择了
The men are ready and they are eager. I see no useful alternative.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
很好
Very well.
长官 – 先生们
sir. – Gentlemen.
大家早晨好 – 早晨好,长官
Good morning, all. – Good morning, sir.
朗斯特里特将会进攻右翼的敌第1军
Longstreet will attack on the right with the First Corps.
希尔作为预备队…
Hill will support…
…随时准备支援赫思
…with Heth in reserve.
尤厄尔部在左翼,一定要拖住…
Ewell’s people on the left will demonstrate to keep the enemy…
…企图增援第1军的敌军部队
…from reinforcing against our right flank.
是,长官,但是皮克特仍然没有赶到
Yes, sir. But I still don’t have Pickett.
他还在部队的后方,正在全速前进
He’s at the rear of column, a full day’s march.
我只有胡德部和麦克劳斯部
All I’ve got is Hood and McLaws.
我相信胡德和麦克劳斯的两个师已经足够了
I do believe that Hood’s and McLaws’ divisions will be sufficient.
我能说一句吗? – 胡德将军?
With the general’s permission. – General Hood?
移♥动♥到那些高地前面的话,我部易受来自上方的…
Moving in front of those rocky heights, we’ll have enfilade fire…
…纵射炮火打击
…coming down on us.
可能,但时间不会很长,你的师…
Perhaps, but not for long. Your division…
…要到达这个无人占领的山头这里,这个小的岩石山
…will be up over this unoccupied hill, the little, rocky one.
从那,你能够威胁敌军的侧翼
From there you will threaten the enemy flank.
当你受到大举进攻的时候,尤厄尔将军就会从左面攻击敌军
When you’re heavily engaged, General Ewell will strike from the left.
非常好,长官
Very well, sir.