…into our private lives, our home lives.
开始对我们指手画脚
Began telling us what we could and couldn’t do.
那么,这时候,难道我们就没有权力退出这个俱乐部吗?
Well, then, wouldn’t any one of us have the right to resign?
我是说,只是退出
I mean, just resign.
我们实际上也就是这么做的
That’s what we did.
我这么做了之后,那些人告诉我我没有权力这么做
That’s what I did and now these people are telling us we don’t have that right.
我想我应该支持你
I got to hand it to you.
你确实拥有把大事化小…
You certainly do have a talent for trivializing the momentous…
…和处理复杂事物的能力
…and complicating the obvious.
你考虑过参加议会竞选吗?
Have you ever considered running for Congress?
没有,只是一个想法而已
No. It’s a thought.
弗里曼特尔上校怎么想?
What does Colonel Fremantle think?
英国会站在我们一边么?
Will the British come in on our side?
去他的吧!他们只会在我们不需要他们的时候站到我们一边
Hell, yeah. They’ll come in when we don’t need them no more.
就像在你不需要钱的时候才会借钱给你的银行
Like some damn bank lending you money when you’re no longer in debt.
看这里,斯皮克先生… – 乔治
Look here, Mr. Speaker… – George.
单独谈谈?
A word?
晚安,上校
Good night, colonel.
再见
See you later.
接下来几天内,相信在这儿会爆发一场恶战
In the next few days, we’re going to have a hell of a fight here.
我希望你做好所有的战前准备工作
I want you to do everything necessary to get your boys ready.
曙光乍现时你就可以把他们带上来了
You can start bringing them up by the first light.
我希望明天你将所有军队投入葛底斯堡
I want you all in Gettysburg by tomorrow night.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
联邦军总部
墓园岭
晚上好,约翰
Good evening, John.
在这么混乱的局面下你还能找到指挥部真是让我惊讶
I’m surprised you could find headquarters with all that confusion.
印第安老话说得好
There’s an old Indian saying:
“跟着雪茄的烟味走你就能找到一个胖子”
“Follow the cigar smoke and find a fat man there.”
汉考克将军
General Hancock.
你好吗,约翰?
How are you, John?
我是很好
I’m all right.
但我的旅今天恶战了一场 我必须休整
But the brigades are pretty shot up. I need to get refitted.
好的,我会负责这事儿的 我们都知道你们今早的表现了
Right. I’ll see to it. We know what you did this morning.
真是打出了军人本色
That was one hell of a piece of soldiering.
谢谢,长官
Thank you, sir.
听说约翰•雷诺兹阵亡的时候你就在旁边?
Heard you were with John Reynolds when he was killed.
我已经把他的尸体送往兰开斯特他家人那儿了
I’m sending the body up to his folks in Lancaster.
也许他们会很感激你写一封信说明情况的
They might appreciate a note from you.
我会的
I’ll send it.
他是个战士
He was a soldier.
也是个很好的朋友
And a good friend.
我们三个,雷诺兹,罗•阿米斯特德和我,曾经在一起作战
Three of us, Reynolds, Lo Armistead and I came up together.
是墨西哥战争
Mexican War.
在加利福尼亚
California.
我们很亲密
We stayed close.
不知道老罗怎么样了 是不是还活着
I wonder how old Lo is doing. If he’s still alive.
听说他现在指挥皮克特的一个旅
Heard he had one of Pickett’s brigades.
顶头上司是朗斯特里特
Under Longstreet.
太好了
Remarkable.
就在山脊后面?
Just across the ridge, eh?
我很希望能再见到他,但不是在这里 不是像这样
I’d like to see him again, but not here. Not like this.
也许战争以后吧
Well, maybe after the war, eh?
明天早晨你希望我的部队在哪儿?
Where do you want me in the morning?
我希望你能够坚守最左翼
I want you to hold your position on the extreme left.
尽量休息一下吧
Get some rest if you can.
到了早晨我们可能会需要你
We may need you in the morning.
杰布•斯图尔特的部队还在此地外♥围♥的某处游弋
Jeb Stuart’s still on the prowl out there someplace.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
唉!雷诺兹将军…
Well, General Reynolds…
…我们守住了高地
…we held the high ground.
邦联军总部
墓园岭
特林布尔将军正在等你
General Trimble is waiting.
现在要见他吗? – 好的
Will you see him? – Very well.
少校,立刻派出一组侦察兵去找斯图尔特将军
I want a scouting party sent out posthaste to find General Stuart.
是,长官,立刻执行 – 谢谢
Yes, sir. Right away. – Thank you.
特林布尔将军
General Trimble.
长官,我强烈要求你能给我换一个职务
Sir, I most respectfully request another assignment.
请你继续,将军
Do please go on, general.
那人应该感到羞耻
The man is a disgrace.
长官,你的副官没有向你汇报吗?
Sir, have you been listening at all to what the aides have been telling you?
去问问戈登将军或者尤厄尔将军吧 问问他们
Ask General Gordon or General Ewell. Ask them.
我们本来可以拿下那座山头的
We could’ve taken that hill.
上帝作证我们可以拿下来的
God in his wisdom knows we should’ve taken it.
那里根本就没人防守,北军将领都忙着指挥镇里的军队
There was no one there at all and it commanded the town.
戈登将军也看到了 我是说,当时他和我们在一起
General Gordon saw it. I mean, he was with us.
我,尤厄尔,还有戈登…
Me and Ewell and Gordon…
…就像白♥痴♥一样傻站在黑暗中看着那座他妈的的空山头
…all standing in the dark like idiots with that bloody damned hill empty.
请你原谅,将军
I beg your pardon, general.
那座山是他妈空的,就像他的脑子一样他妈的空空如也!
That bloody damned hill was bare as his bloody damned head!
我们全都看到了,天地可鉴
We all saw it, as God is my witness.
我们当时都在那儿
We were all there.
我对他说:“尤厄尔将军,我们必须拿下那座山头”
I said to him, “General Ewell, we have got to take that hill.”
指以机动迅速闻名,在葛底斯堡战役两个月前因友军误击伤重不治的“石墙”托马斯·杰克逊将军,尤厄尔和特林布尔都曾多次随他作战
换做杰克逊将军肯定不会在光线还充足而北方佬正逃跑时…
General Jackson wouldn’t have stopped like this with blue belly on the run…
…站在原地对着一座空山头干瞪眼
…and was plenty of light left on a hill like that empty.
上帝救救我们吧!
God help us!
我不知道…
I don’t know-
我真的不知道为什么我…
I don’t know why I…
请继续,将军
Do please continue, general.
是,长官
Yes, sir.
长官
Sir.
我是这样对尤厄尔将军说的…
I said to General Ewell these words…
我对他说
I said to him:
“长官,给我一个师,我就能拿下那座山头”
“Sir, give me one division and I will take that hill.”
他什么也不说就站在那直盯着我看
He said nothing. He just stood there and stared at me.
我说: “尤厄尔将军,给我一个旅…
I said, “General Ewell, give me one brigade…
…我就能拿下那个山头”
…and I will take that hill.”
我当时非常得着急,长官
I was becoming disturbed, sir.
但尤厄尔将军在那背着手就跟我不存在似的
And General Ewell put his arms behind him and blinked.
所以我又说“将军,给我一个团…
So I said, “General, give me one regiment…
“…我保证拿下那座山头”
…and I will take that hill.”
但他什么也没说
And he said nothing.
他就站在那
He just stood there.
我就把指挥刀扔在了他的面前
I threw down my sword. Down on the ground in front of him.
我们本来可以占领的,长官
We could have done it, sir.
瞎子都能看出来
A blind man should have seen it.
现在敌人赶到那了
Now they’re working up there.
你可以听到联邦军队的车轴声
You can hear the axes of the Federal troops.
等到明天早上…
And so in the morning…
…我们攻打那座山头的时候…
…many a good boy will die…
…会有无数勇士阵亡
…taking that hill.
长官
Sir.
我请求你给我另外分派一个职务
I must request another assignment.
不,先生,没那个必要
No, sir. That won’t be necessary.
你是一个很优秀的军人
You will be of great service.
我非常感激你所做的一切
And I do thank you.
米德将军
General Meade, sir.
汉考克,外面实在太黑了,我什么都看不见
Hancock. It’s so damn dark out there I can’t see a thing.
好了,先生们
Well, gentlemen.
我向上帝祈祷这是一个…
I hope to God that this is…
…好地方
…good ground.
这是一个好地方吗?将军?
Is this good ground, general?
这地方能容纳整支军队吗?
Is this the place to have an army?
非常好的地方,长官,非常好
Very good ground, sir. Very good ground.
希望你是对的
I hope you are right.
因为早晨我们肯定会在这里开战
Because we are going to have a fight here sure enough in the morning.
尤厄尔将军,我本来希望你穿过这个镇之后…
General Ewell, I had hoped that after moving through the town…
…就会占领这山头
…you would’ve taken that hill.
我认为这不切实际
I didn’t think it was practical.
嗯,理由很多
Well, for many reasons.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!