Yes.
我今天在 杂♥志♥社也忙了一天
I had a pretty full day at the magazine, too.
是的
Yes.
这晚餐做得好极了
It was a mighty fine dinner.
很高兴你喜欢
I’m glad you liked it.
我的车就在下面 我送你回去
My car’s downstairs. Let me run you home.
不 谢谢 我想我还是走回去吧
No, thanks. I think I’ll walk.
这夜色很美
It’s a lovely night.
是的
Yes, it is.
很美
It’s lovely.
我得走了
I’d better be getting off.
噢 别麻烦了 我知道怎么出去
Don’t bother. I know where my hat is.
这没什么
It’s no bother.
明天等我电♥话♥
I’ll call you sometime tomorrow.
好的
All right.
晚安
Good night.
晚安
Good night, Phil.
玛丽说她就过来
Maw saw to come fight over and that
完全能够带上你
it’ll be perfectly all right to bring you.
她可以带上我们…
She’s cooked a big dinner, so there’s plenty…
我忘了东西
I forgot something.
– 亲爱的 我真是后悔 – 噢 凯茜 我真是不该
– Darling! I’m so glad you came back. – Kathy. What are we doing?
– 怎么能这样呢 – 我不应该 我真的不应该
– What am I doing to us? – It’s my fault, dear.
我♥干♥嘛总是要这样较真儿呢
I’m always weighing and judging.
我真是个笨蛋
I’m such a solemn fool.
噢 我当时就应该说这个点子好极了
No, I should have said the angle was fine right away.
而且它确实很好 亲爱的 它真的很好
And it is, darling. it is. It’s wonderful.
我不知道这是怎么了
I don’t know what happened.
你一开口说话 我就突然产生了一种莫名其妙的反感
It started the minute you spoke. I felt insulted.
就像我真是一个犹太人一样
If I were Jewish, that’s the way I would have felt and I couldn’t let you off.
结果让你很不高兴
I couldn’t make it any easier for you.
晚饭后我想主动开口
All through dinner, I tried to reach you,
向你说声道歉的 可是 可是我却做不到
tell you I was sorry, and I couldn’t.
我也不知道这是怎么了
I don’t know what happened to me when you told me,
只知道一个美好的夜晚给破坏了
except that a whole beautiful evening was spoiled.
亲爱的 我想你回来
I wanted you to come back. Darling.
蒙纳菲先生 我从来不会刻意
But really, Mr. Minify, I never make it a policy
拒绝录用犹太人…
just to hire… It… Well, it’s…
我完全依据能力来录用人
It’s a question of personality.
听我解释 蒙纳菲先生
Please understand, Mr. Minify.
如果一个姑娘的个性适合做这种工作…
If a girl’s personality is the type that fits in…
可是我们没有任何一个
It’s just by chance, you mean,
叫菲克斯汀或科恩的秘书
that we haven’t one secretary named Finkeistein or Cohen?
在纽约这个城市里 不可想象 乔丹
In the city of New York? Come off it, Jordan.
米勒小姐 登一个招聘公告
Miss Miller, take a help wanted ad.
某全国刊物欲招高级秘书一名
“Expert secretary for editorial department, national magazine.
工作相同 报酬优♥惠♥
“Exacting work, good pay.
宗教信仰对本办公室无关
“Religion is a matter of indifference to this office.”
– 记下了吗 – 记下了
– Got that? – Yes, Mr. Minify.
以后的任何广♥告♥别忘了最后那句
In any other ad you run, be sure to use that last line.
– 就这样 米勒小姐 – 再见 乔丹
– That’s all, Miss Miller. – Good afternoon, Jordan.
顺便说一句 如果你想开除韦尔斯小姐
By the way, if you should have to fire Miss Wales,
不管什么时候或什么理由
for any reason whatever at any time,
记住一定要让我先看一看材料
remember, I’d like to review the case myself first.
再见 蒙纳菲先生
Good afternoon, Mr. Minify.
我为我自己和杂♥志♥感到羞耻
I’m ashamed of myself and this magazine, too.
我们总感到自己忙着重要的事情
The sloppy, slovenly notion that everybody’s busy doing bigger things.
结果忽略了真正重要的大事
Well, there just isn’t anything bigger than beating down the
使正派人遭受了偏见
complacence of essentially decent people about prejudice.
这真使我 这真使我感到羞耻 干活儿去吧
Yes, I’m ashamed of myself. Go on back to work.
我相信我已经非常清楚地
“I believe that I’ve given a clear
介绍了我的背景和资历
“and accurate picture of my qualifications,
如果你们能尽早考虑我
“and I would very much appreciate
并给予答复 我将感激不尽 你忠实的
“your immediate consideration and reply. Sincerely yours.”
一定要这句 给予答复
Better ask for an immediate reply on all of them.
啊 今天别写了 已经很晚了
Don’t bother to do it today, though. It’s too late.
明天再说吧
Tomorrow will be all right.
格林先生 你什么时候口述那篇文章
Mr. Green, have you any idea when you’ll start dictating the series itself?
我很想拜读你写的东西
I would like to get the decks cleared.
我想我还是自己用打字机写吧
Well, I think I’ll type it out myself to start with.
因为我不大习惯 口述文章
I’m not much good on dictating actual copy.
时候不早了
Well, that’ll be all, Miss Wales.
你最好还是回家去吧
You’d better get along home.
好吧
All right.
格林先生 乔丹先生的事是真的吗
Mr. Green, is it true about Mr. Jordan?
乔丹先生什么事
What true about Mr. Jordan?
他正在把蒙纳菲先生的广♥告♥内容
Well, he’s telling everybody about Mr. Minify’s ad.
告诉所有的人 他说这是件好事
He thinks it’s a wonderful thing, he says.
噢 是吗
He does, huh?
我想问一问那广♥告♥的事是不是真的…
And I thought I’d ask you if it’s really true that the ad says right out…
当然是真的 韦尔斯小姐
Right straight out, Miss Wales.
明天各家报纸都会登的
And it’s going to be in all the papers tomorrow.
真的任何种类的人 都可以招聘进来吗
Practically inviting any type at all to apply?
任何种类 什么意思
Any type? What do you mean?
格林先生 你不希望看到这里有所改变 是吗
Mr. Green, you don’t want things changed around here, do you?
即使你是个作家 而且不同的作家
Even though you are a writer, and it’s different for writers.
不同的作家 为什么
Different for writers? How?
嗯 我是说 如果出了什么差错
Well, I mean, just let them get one wrong one in here,
那肯定会怪罪到我们头上
and it’ll come out of us.
因为我们是犹太佬 你说是吗
It’s no fun being the fall guy for the kikey ones.
听我说 韦尔斯小姐 我们应该坦诚相见
Now, look, Miss Wales, we’ve got to be frank with each other.
我应该让你知道
You have a right to know right now
我最讨厌别人说 犹太佬 黑鬼 爱尔兰佬
that words like yid, and kike, and kikey,
这样的或那样的措辞 不管那人是谁
and nigger, and coon make me kind of sick no matter who says them.
我只是随便说说
But I only said it for a type.
我们现在说的是措辞
Yeah, but we’re talking about a word first.
可是格林先生 我并没有什么用意
But, Mr. Green, that doesn’t mean a thing.
有时候我也用这些词来说自己
Why, sometimes I even say it to myself, about me, I mean.
比方说 如果我要做本不该做的事
Like if I’m about to do something and I know I shouldn’t,
我就会说 别像犹太佬那么讨厌 就这样
I say, “Don’t be such a little kike.” That’s all.
要是你反问我有什么意见的话…
But let one objectionable one get in here…
等等 你说的反对意见是什么意思
Well, just a minute. What do you mean by objectionable?
说话声音太大规矩太多…
Loud and too much rouge…
我不会聘用大嗓门粗俗的人
They don’t hire any loud, vulgar girls here.
你怎么会认为他们会聘用这种人呢
What makes you think they’re going to suddenly start?
事情不是这样
It’s not only that.
你这是在冲我撒气
Mr. Green, you’re sort of heckling me.
你和我一样地清楚
You know as well as I do, the sort
什么样的人会在这种地方惹事
that starts trouble in a place like this
什么样的人又不会
and the sort that doesn’t, like you or me,
所以你干嘛冲着我撒气
so what’s the sense of pinning me down?
因为我们并不特别像犹太人
You mean, because we don’t look especially Jewish,
因为我们是好犹太人
because we’re okay Jews,
因为和我们在一起可以 安静 舒服
because with us, it can be kept nice and comfortable and quiet?
– 我并没说 – 听我说 韦尔斯小姐
– I didn’t say… – Now, listen, Miss Wales,
我痛恨反犹太主义
I hate anti-Semitism,
不管这种情绪来自于像你这样的犹太人
and I hate it when it comes from you or anybody who’s Jewish,
还是来自于那些所谓的高贵阶层
just as much as I hate it when it comes from a Gentile.
我 格林先生…
Me? Why, Mr. Green…
明天见 韦尔斯小姐
See you tomorrow, Miss Wales.
晚安
Good night.
怎么还不回家
Why don’t you go home?
你不要命了
I’m slowly going crazy.
嗨 等等
Hi, there!
你好 德芙琳小姐
Hello, Miss Dettrey.
你忙了一天 怎么还能如此精力充沛地回家
How can you stride down the hall with such energy and vitality
我可是累坏了
at the end of the day? I’m bushed.
每出一♥期♥杂♥志♥我的精力就要差一些
Getting the book to bed gets worse every issue.
会有这种事儿发生
I didn’t know you called it “the book” around here.
当然有 我们这些矫揉造作的纽约人就是这样
Oh, we do. We do. We’re sophisticated New Yorkers, Mr. Green.
我说你口渴吗

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!