The great liberal magazine that fights injustice on all sides.
我真无话可说
It slays me. I love it.
蒙纳菲先生知道吗
Mr. Minify know about that?
他才不管这种小事呢
Oh, he can’t be bothered thinking about small fry.
招聘人的事归乔丹先生的部门管
That’s Mr. Jordan’s department, hiring and firing.
但是如果有人露了陷儿
But if anybody snitched,
总会有理由把他赶出去的
you know there’d be some excuse for throwing them out.
所以我觉得 也许你应该改一下你的名字
So anyway, I thought maybe you had changed yours sometime.
听说你是犹太人
I mean, when I heard you were Jewish.
你听说了
You heard it?
听说了
Why, sure.
– 就这个单子 – 对
– Is this the list? – Yeah.
什么时候
When?
噢 你吃过午饭后
Well, when you finished luncheon
又回到了蒙纳菲先生的办公室
and went back to Mr. Minify’s office,
结果就 传开了
it kind of got around.
她后天就可以起床了 一切都很正常
She’ll be up and about and fit as a fiddle day after tomorrow.
你不会介意我另外找一位医生
You wouldn’t mind if I had her see a good internist,
– 确诊一下吧 – 噢 当然不介意 这是个好主意
– just to be on the safe side? – Not at all. Good idea.
要是你愿意 我可以替你安排
I’ll make an appointment if you wish.
我总是请范戴克或者肯特
I always use Mason Van Dyck or James Kent.
当然你也可以另外请
Or if you have some good man you’d like.
杂♥志♥社的一位编辑推荐了一位
One of the editors at the magazine recommended someone.
希伯伦斯大夫
Doctor… Dr. Abrahams.
希伯伦斯
Abrahams?
西奈医院的希伯伦斯大夫是这方面的专家
Yes, J.E. Abrahams, Mount Sinai Hospital, Beth Israel, or both.
是的是的 他是的
Yes, yes, of course.
要是你决定请范戴克或者肯特
Well, if you should decide to have your mother
来给你母亲会诊 我可以安排
see Van Dyck or Kent, I’ll arrange it.
怎么了 希伯伦斯大夫不行吗
Why? Isn’t this Abrahams fellow any good?
不是这样的 他是个好人 医术不错
No, nothing like that. Good man, completely reliable.
从来不会像有些人那样多收钱
Not given to overcharging and stringing visits out,
生意也还可以
the way some do.
你是说有些医生
Do you mean the way some doctors do,
有些犹太医生多收钱
or do you mean the way some Jewish doctors do?
我看你说的对
I suppose you’re right.
我们有些人也这么干 不只是那些人
I suppose some of us do it, too, not just the chosen people.
既然你说希伯伦斯大夫这么好 我就请他吧
If Abrahams doesn’t impress me, I’ll try Van Dyck or Kent.
我可不会因为自己是犹太人
I’ve no special loyalty to Jewish doctors
就特别相信犹太医生
simply because I’m Jewish myself.
当然不会
No, of course not.
好人就是好人
A good man’s a good man.
我不相信偏见 绝不相信偏见
I don’t believe in prejudice.
我明白
I see.
那我走了…
Well…
晚安
Good evening.
– 晚上好 格林先生 – 晚上好 多斯先生
– Evening, Mr. Green. – Evening, Mr. Olsen.
我说格林先生
Say, Mr. Green,
我看你最好在邮局重新填张卡
why don’t you fill out one of them cards at the post office better
然后我告诉邮差
or watch for the mailman and tell him?
这样做怎么了
Well, what’s the matter with this way?
这是规定
It’s the rules.
别擦掉
Leave that alone.
我也是没办法 格林先生
It’s nothing I can help, Mr. Green. It’s the rules.
这是规定 租♥房♥♥部应该向你解释过的
The renting agent should have explained.
对不起 这是 我
That is, excuse me, if you are.
没什么对不起的
Excuse me, nothing.
这公♥寓♥两年内是我的
This is my place for two years,
别碰那卡片
and don’t touch that card.
我们在这地方吃晚餐
You don’t mean that we’re going to have dinner here?
是的
I do, indeed.
– 我们这样可以交谈 – 交谈
– So we can talk. – Talk?
你坐在那
You sit there.
我可不能再让你打岔了
I’m not going to let you get going on another thing.
你不把你的新角度告诉我 你就别想吃晚饭
You don’t even get dinner until you tell me the angle.
我一直在猜想那是什么
I’ve been trying to guess what it is all day long.
– 是吗 – 当然是的
– Have you really? – Yes, I have.
我一直在想 如果我是他
I kept thinking, “Suppose I were he,
我会找什么样的新角度呢
“and I had to find an angle? What would I do?”
那你会怎么做
Well, what would you do?
我什么也想不出来
Well, I got just no place.
我觉得你告诉我的想法很好
Some of the ideas you told me I thought were excellent,
可你却放弃它们寻找别的
but you threw them out and kept hunting.
我一告诉你 你立刻就会明白的
You’ll see why just as soon as I tell you.
菲尔 告诉我
Phil, tell me.
好吧 是这样的
All right. Here it is.
我想让大家都知道我是犹太人
I’m just going to let everybody know that I’m Jewish, that’s all.
犹太人
Jewish?
可你不是的 菲尔 是吗
But you’re not, Phil, are you?
虽然这对我没有什么区别 可是你说
Not that it would make any difference to me, but you said,
你让大家都知道
“I’m going to let everybody know, ”
你以前没有说过的事情
as if you hadn’t before and would now.
我只是感到好奇
So I just wondered.
倒不是这件事会对我有什么影响
Not that it would matter to me one way or the other.
菲尔 你好像不大高兴
Phil, you’re annoyed.
没有 我是在思考
No, I’m not. I was just thinking.
别这么严肃了 你知道我的看法的
Well, don’t be so serious about it. You must know where I stand.
我知道
I do.
我只是没有任何的思想准备
It’s just that you caught me off guard,
我是说 我是说我对你的了解不太多
you know, not knowing too much about you,
而你总是让我谈我自己
because you always make me talk about myself all the time,
结果却避开了你自己 对不对
so that for a minute there, I wasn’t very bright on the uptake.
这样看来你并不在乎我的新角度
Well, anyway, you don’t think much of my angle?
我当然在乎 只是…
I do. It’s…
– 什么 – 只是…
– It’s what? – It’s just that I…
只是我像别人一样的糊涂了
I think it’ll mix everybody up.
我不知道你究竟是什么样的一个人
People won’t know what you are.
等你的文章写完了以后
Of course, after the series is finished, they’ll know,
我想 根本就不会再有别人去关心它了
but even so, it’ll keep cropping up. Won’t it?
好吧
All right.
算了
Let it.
我实在是疯了 非常地对不起 亲爱的
I must be out of my head. “Let it” is right. Who cares?
我实在是太现实了一点
I was just being too practical about things.
这就是我当小学教师的结果
That’s what comes from being a schoolteacher.
接着说
Now tell me more.
呃 不过
Well, to begin with,
你得答应像蒙纳菲先生那样
you and the Minifys will have to promise not to give me away,
绝不向任何人透露我的秘密 好吗
but, really, no exceptions for anything, okay?
好的
Okay.
杂♥志♥社的那些人知道吗
What about the people at Smith’s? Won’t they talk’?
除了蒙纳菲谁也不知道
They’re not in on it, only Minify.
他们都认定你是犹太人
They think you’re Jewish?
凯茜
Look, Kathy, I don’t think you understand.
这件事情如果要成功
If this thing is going to work,
就必须在所有的地方保持一致的口径
the only chance is to go whole hog at it.
不能泄露任何风声
It’s got to go right through everything.
当然
Of course.
我从来没有这样想过
I hadn’t really seen it before.
我说话不该这么冲
I didn’t mean to be so sharp.
对不起
I’m sorry.
吃饭吗
Dinner?
好的
Fine.
你待在这儿 我亲自来给你上菜
You sit there. I’m doing the serving myself.
喝点咖啡 还要点别的东西吗
More coffee? Only take a minute to heat it.
不 谢谢
No, thanks.
好了 我看 我得回去了
Well, I think I’d better be getting along.
这么早
So soon?
睡觉前 我得看看妈妈的情况
I should look in at Ma before she gets to sleep.
当然
Of course.
你也必须很早去学校 对不对
You have to get to the school pretty early, don’t you?
是的