Darling.
– 你笑什么 – 没什么
– What are you smiling at’? – Nothing.
说吧 不许有秘密
Come on, no secrets.
我只是想
I was just thinking.
我想我在玩
I was just playing that old game.
所有的女人都在玩的游戏
All women do it, trying out the name.
大声说出来
Say it out loud.
做斯卡利·格林太太
Mrs. Schuyler Green.
听上去怎么样
Well, how does it sound?
听上去很好
It sounds just fine.
我现在怎么样
How does it look on me?
我很喜欢
I like it.
凯茜 你 你不后悔吗 关于汤姆
Kathy, you’re not sorry about Tom?
噢 菲尔 我很高兴
Oh, Phil, I’m glad.
就当我和你已经结婚了多年
It’s almost as if my marriage hadn’t been wasted,
而且有了自己的孩子
as if I’d had a son growing up for me.
我知道你会有办法的 谁能想得到呢…
I knew you’d get it, but who’d ever think that…
– 能行吗 – 当然能行
– But can you get away with it? – Yeah, sure,
只要你 凯茜 你夫人不露馅儿就行
if you and Kathy and Mrs. Minify won’t give me away.
我还没告诉凯茜呢
I haven’t told Kathy yet.
噢 我夫人那儿我负责
I’ll take care of Mrs. Minify.
– 你什么时候开始 – 噢 现在开始怎么样
– When do you start? – What’s the matter with right now?
可以 我给你安排办公室和秘书
Fine. I’ll get you an office and a secretary right away.
秘书怎么样
But what about the secretary.
也不能让她知道吗
She’d have to know, wouldn’t she?
是的
Yeah. Well, why?
你就假装我真是个犹太人 把任务交给我
Supposing I were really Jewish and you gave me this assignment.
这对她或任何人有什么关系呢
What difference would it make to her or anybody?
说得对 菲尔 我非常高兴
You’re right, Phil. I’m excited about this.
– 他们会安排的 – 蒙纳菲先生
– They’ll read this all right. – Mr. Minify.
韦斯曼先生在餐厅等你
Mr. Weisman is waiting in the dining room.
知道了 吃午饭
Yes. What about lunch?
你会认识所有的负责人
Chance to meet the whole staff at one clip.
还有欧文·韦斯曼先生
Irving Weisman is lunching with us.
只要能骗过他 什么事儿都好办
Might be wise for you to know.
那位大企业家吗
Yeah, he’s the big industrialist, isn’t he?
是的 走吧
Yes. Come on.
他这人很有趣 我的老朋友
He’s a colorful fellow. Old friend of mine.
你会喜欢他的
I know you’ll like him.
…帝国大厦的图片 看这个
…the picture of the Empire State Building. Look at this.
– 我知道 – 还没定下来吧 嗯 是的
– I know. – But it was over here. Yes.
在左边 我看这样摆可以
Over to the left. That’s what I’m talking about.
很抱歉 来迟了 欧文
Sorry we’re late. We’re very sorry, Irving.
这是菲尔·格林先生 这是欧文·韦斯曼先生
Mr. Phil Green, Mr. Irving Weisman.
– 韦斯曼先生 – 你好
– Mr. Weisman. – How do you do?
乔丹 我们的人事部经理
Lou Jordan, our personnel manager.
– 乔·丁格勒 我们的摄影师 – 你好
– Joe Tingler, demon photographer. – Yeah, yeah!
这位是比尔·佩森 艺术编辑
Bill Payson, art editor.
伯特·麦克安妮
Bert McAnny, the best layout man
我们排版全靠他了
this side of the Mexican border.
最后一位是我们的宝贝
And last is a kind of dessert, Phil.
安·德芙琳 时装部编辑
Anne Dettrey, our fashion editor,
聪明 漂亮而且危险
clever, beautiful, and dangerous.
能把人活吞了
Eats men alive.
– 承蒙您夸奖 – 你就坐她旁边吧
– Thank you. Thank you very much. – Sit down beside her.
我还以为是斯卡利·格林呢
I thought it was Schuyler Green.
那是我的笔名
No, that’s my writing name.
格林先生写反对犹太主义的系列报道
Mr. Green is going to do a series on anti-Semitism for us.
是吗 又写了
Really? Again?
不是又写了 而是第一次
Not again. For the first time.
我们这次要揭露真♥相♥
We’re going to split it wide open.
我作为老朋友 说句话你介意吗
Do you mind my saying, as an old friend,
约翰 这是你干的
I think it a very bad idea, John?
最糟糕最有害的事情
The worst, the most harmful thing you could possibly do now.
我不那么看 这为什么是坏主意呢
Not at all. Why is it a harmful idea?
因为这没用 你最好别去碰它
Because it’ll only stir it up more. That’s why. Let it alone.
我们有自己的办法处理
We’ll handle it in our own way.
只是隔靴抓痒的方式
The hush-hush way?
我不在乎你怎么说
I don’t care what you call it.
别去碰它
Let it alone.
光是报道解决不了问题
You can’t write it out of existence.
我们已经和它抗争了这么多年
We’ve been fighting it for years.
经验告诉我们 报道越少越好
We know from experience the less talk there is about it, the better.
是的 假装它不存在
Sure. Pretend it doesn’t exist
只会让更多的人保持沉默
and add to the conspiracy of silence.
我什么也不说 保持沉默 让比尔·伯德
I should say not. Keep silent and let Bilbo
和杰拉德这样的人♥大♥放厥词 这可是不行的
and Gerald L.K. Smith do all the talking?
不行
No, sir.
欧文
Irving,
你和你的沉默派
you and your let’s-be-quiet-about-it committees
什么也不会得到
have got just exactly no place.
我们准备 准备实事求是地进行报道
We’re going to call a spade a dirty spade.
我认为现在正是时候了
And I think it’s high time and a fine idea.
我完全赞同蒙纳菲先生的观点
So do I. I couldn’t agree with Mr. Minify more.
你好像很有气 格林先生
You sound pretty hot about it, Mr. Green.
我对这件事当然有气
Well, I feel pretty hot about it.
不过这跟我
I don’t think it has anything to do
是个犹太人没有关系
with the fact that I’m Jewish myself.
– 我没走错门吧 – 是格林先生吧
– Right office? – Mr. Green?
我要在这儿上班
Yes, sir. This is your office.
我是你的秘书韦尔斯
I’m your secretary, Miss Wales.
艾琳·韦尔斯
Elaine Wales is the name.
你好
How do you do?
现在就工作怎么样
Mind if we get right to work?
当然可以
Not at all.
你知道查资料吗
You know about the series I’m doing?
– 知道 – 好
– Yes, sir. – Good.
我首先要你做一份材料出来
The first thing I want to start is a file.
我要你给所有俱乐部 求职
I want you to write form letters to clubs, resorts,
面试 公♥寓♥ 出租
interviews for jobs, apartments for lease,
医学院入学申请等机构写信
application for medical schools, and so forth.
这里有一份单子 我找一下
I got a whole list here somewhere.
好的
Yes, sir.
所有信件都用白纸写
Write the letters on blank stationery.
给每个地址寄两封
And send two to each address.
其中一封我要署名斯卡利·格林
One of them I want it to sign Schuyler Green,
另一封署名菲利普·格林·伯格
and the other Philip Greenberg.
– 明白吗 – 明白了
– See what I mean? – Yes, sir.
底下附上我的地址
And have the replies sent to my home address.
我待会儿给你
I’ll give you that later.
好的
Yes, sir.
当然 我想你也知道 格林会被接受
Of course, you know that it will be yes to the Greens
格林·伯格会遭拒绝
and no to the Greenbergs.
知道 但我想看看结果
Sure, but I want it for the record.
如果你的名字是索尔·格林
Now, if your name was Saul Green
或者欧文之类的
or Irving or something like that,
你不必找那么多麻烦
you wouldn’t have to go to all this bother.
我改了名字 你呢
I changed mine. Did you?
是吗 格林就是我的名字 你的真名是
Wales? No, Green’s always been my name. What’s yours?
维罗夫斯基
Walovsky. Estelle Walovsky.
我一直用这个名字 我是说 在我申请工作的时候
And I just couldn’t take it. About applications, I mean.
有一天给同一家公♥司♥写了两封信
So one day, I wrote the same firm two letters,
就像你现在这样
same as you’re doing now.
他们答复我的第一封信说有人了
I sent the Elaine Wales one
于是我就寄出了第二封 署名艾琳·韦尔斯
after they’d said there were no openings to my first one.
我得到了这份工作
I got the job, all right.
你知道那是什么公♥司♥吗
Do you know what firm that was?
史密斯周刊
Smith’s Weekly.
是真的
No.
是真的 格林先生
Yes, Mr. Green.
一家专门替人打抱不平的进步期刊 居然会是这样

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!