See, that hasn’t anything to do with the flag,
没有任何关系
or the uniform, or the airplanes.
– 懂吗 – 懂了
– You got it? – Yep.
我可不希望你糊涂
Don’t ever get mixed up on that.
我已经懂了
I got it.
可有些人把这些混淆了
Some people are mixed up.
为什么
Why?
好了 汤姆
It’s 8:30, Tommy. You’d better get going.
– 该上学去了 孩子 – 是啊是啊 你该迟到了
– You’ll be late for school. – Yeah, yeah, you’ll be late.
把牛奶喝完
Finish your milk.
谢谢 再见
Thanks, Grandma. Bye.
没关系 你处理得很好
That’s all right, Phil. You’re always good with him.
可真难回答他呀
That kid’s going to wreck me yet.
我小时候也这样向你和爸爸提问题吗
Did you and Dad have to go through this sort of stuff with me?
那当然
Of course we did.
你好像很失望 菲尔
Are you very disappointed, Phil?
是啊 我很失望 我原以为
Yes, I am. I was almost sure
他肯定会让我写斯泰特案件什么的
he’d hand me the Stassen story or Washington.
我倒不是不想写一些容易的事
I wasn’t looking for an easy one, Ma,
我只是想写一些自己满意的东西
but I did want something that I could really make good on.
一些很自然的东西
I’d so like the first one here to be a natural,
一些你会看的东西
something I know they’d read.
你是说反犹太人的
You mean there’s enough anti-Semitism
情绪没那么严重
in real life without people reading about it?
不是的 可这篇文章我还没动笔就注定要失败
No, but this one’s doomed before I start.
除非我能写出别人从来没有写出的东西
What could I possibly say that hasn’t been said before?
我也不知道
I don’t know.
也许别人写的还不够
Maybe it hasn’t been said well enough.
可你用刚才向汤姆解释的那个方法
If it had, you wouldn’t have had to explain it to Tommy just,
来写是不行的
now or your father and I to you.
要是刚才的听众
It would be nice sometime not to have to explain it
不是汤姆就好了
to someone like Tommy.
因为他还是个孩子
Kids are so decent to start with.
回来吃午饭吗
Home for lunch?

No.
我出去走走
Think I’ll take a walk.
你真行啊 妈妈
You’re quite a girl, Ma.
– 你好像很吃惊 – 是的
– You seem surprised. – Yes.
– 为什么 – 我以为你不会接受这个任务
– Why? – I didn’t think you were going to do it.
你当时拉长了脸
You have a bad poker face, Phil.
我说到一半你就露出失望的表情
I saw you were disappointed in the assignment the minute I mentioned it.
所以我没有强求你
That’s why I didn’t push it.
– 你怎么改变主意的 – 原因很多
– What changed your mind? – A couple of things.
嗯哼
Uh-huh.
也许是我那侄女儿给了你灵感
I may put my niece under contract, inspiration department.
不 不是这样
No, it wasn’t that.
主要是我的孩子
It was my kid.
我今天得向他解释 结果发现很难
I had to explain it to him this morning. It was kind of tough.
将来作出决定的将是每一个家庭 每一个人
It’s really each house, each family that decides it.
所以 我决定写它
Anyway, I want to do it, very much.
我非常高兴
I couldn’t be more pleased.
我要向你的研究部门要一些数字和情况
I’ll need some facts and figures from your research department.
什么
What?
我想从你研究人员那儿得到一些数字和事实
I said, I’ll have to get facts, figures from your research people.
你等等 等等
Now, wait a minute. Hold on.
我杂♥志♥社有十八个人写这类文章
I’ve got 18 hacks on this magazine who can do this series
他们只会罗列数字和事实
with their left hands chock full of facts, figures and research.
我不需要这样写
I don’t need you for that.
我请你来干什么的 要数字和事实吗
What do you think I brought you here for? Facts and figures?
找出事情的根源来
Use your head. Go right to the source.
我需要新的角度 震撼人心的东西
I want some angle, some compelling lead,
催人泪下充满人情味儿的东西
some dramatic device to humanize it
所以人们会看下去
so that it gets read.
啊 要求不高 要天上的月亮
You don’t want much. You just want the moon.
你要提供建议
With parsley. Suggestion.
要写出有深度的文章来 不要那零零碎碎的东西
There’s a bigger thing to do than to go after the crackpot story.
这东西太多了
It’s been done plenty.
我要你写有深度有广度的文章
It’s the wider spread of it that I want to get at.
让那些麻木不仁的人
The people that would never go near an anti-Semitic meeting
看了会良心发现
or send a dime to Gerald L.K. Smith.
好吧
All right.
我四处看看
I’ll knock it around.
给研究部门做点贡献
Give my best to the research department.
再见
So long.
要我侄女儿电♥话♥号♥码吗
You don’t happen to want my niece’s phone number, do you?
摄政区七〇四九三 我们今晚共进晚餐
Regent 7-0-4-9-3. We’re having dinner together.
我总是喜欢从根源查起
I always like to go right to the source.
这是您的咖啡
Fresh coffee, sir?
谢谢
Thank you.
你已经接受了
You’re a very flattering listener.
噢 我对它感兴趣
Well, I’ve been interested.
不 不止这些
No, it’s more than that.
你的脸上很兴奋 就想要投票表决一样
Your face takes sides as if you were voting for and against.
我告诉杰茜我要和你一起吃晚饭
When I told you about my longing to have a nice home,
她说孩子你很幸福
like other children, you looked happy.
当我跟约翰叔叔说的时候
When I told you about Uncle John
他说你应该请一个星期的假
offering to send me to Vassar, you looked bleak.
你父母怎么想
How did your parents take it
我是说蒙纳菲先生给你钱
about Mr. Minify giving you an allowance
与你关系密切
and the pretty clothes and all the rest?
他们说我和我的姐姐简应该
Oh, they said they wanted Jane, my sister, and me
得到让我们幸福的东西
to have the things that would make us happy.
你得到了
And did they?
我想是的
Yes, I think so.
我姐姐已经结婚了
I quit being envious
比较势利
and snobbish.
跟我不大一样
I felt right and easy.
噢 你又这么认真了
Now you’re looking all dubious again.
噢 请别以为
Please, don’t think that I’m just sitting here
我只是坐在这里评判是非
approving and disapproving.
不是这样的…
It’s not that. It’s just that…
而且…
Well, I…
你能来真不容易啊
We’ve certainly covered a lot of ground.
你现在订婚了吗 或者爱上别的人了
Are you engaged to anybody now, or in love or anything?
没有什么特别的人
Not especially.
你呢
Are you?
一个也没有
Not anything.
跳舞吗
Dance?
噢 顺便问一句
Oh, by the way,
你前夫
what was the point of your ex-husband
去蒙纳菲先生家干什么
being asked up to the Minifys’ when you were there?
他们是不是想撮合你们俩
They trying to bring you together?
也许是吧 我婶婶最喜欢干这样的事了
Could be. Aunt Jessie does it every once in a while.
你不是请我跳舞吗
Did you ask me to dance?
菲尔 莱斯小姐电♥话♥
Oh, Phil, Miss Lacy.
好的
Okay.
莱斯小姐 你等一会儿
He’ll be right here.
他已经来了
He’s still at it.
你好 外面的世界怎么样
Hi. How’s the big outside world?
大家都还开心吗
Still there? Everybody having fun?
噢 不不不 我很好
No, no, I’m fine.
巴不得死了呢
Just wish I were dead, that’s all.
噢 谢谢你 凯茜 我刚好可以伸伸腰
Oh, thanks, Kathy. I’m in my stubborn streak now.
我都写了一上午了
If it won’t budge, I won’t.
太好了
Well, that’s great.
这样我马上就可以读到你的大作了
At the rate it’s going now do you think you’d like me with white hair?
你这可是给我出了难题了
Yeah. I’d think you’d look dandy with white hair.
我不是还在努力吗
I’ll be right here, still trying.
噢 你记住 要是你不打电♥话♥
Oh, please do. If you don’t call,
我会不停地想你的
I just keep wondering why you don’t.
我的思路反正会被打断

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!