Gentleman’s? Kathy, you can’t…
你怎么能不进行抗争呢
You’re not going to fight it, Kathy.
凯茜 你已经妥协了 听之任之
You’re just going to give in, play along,
让这疯狂的现象继续存在
just let their idiotic rules stand.
我没有听之任之 可我一个人做什么呢
I don’t play along, but what can one person do?
你可以站起来让他们 让他们看看
You can tell them to go jump in the lake. What can they do?
那我们就完了 你知道有多糟吗
Plenty. Ostracize him.
糟透了 有些市场就不会为我们服务了
Some of the markets not deliver food, not even wait on him.
当我们回到那儿的时候
Phil, the series will be over by the time we get there.
一切就会过去的
Phil, face facts.
我知道这一切以后 还怎么跟你回那房♥子呢
You expect us to live in that cottage once I know all this?
你知道我一直就是站在戴维这边的
You can’t make over the whole world. You know I’m on Dave’s side.
我不在乎是戴维这边还是他们那边
Well, I’m not on Dave’s side or any side,
我只要和他们斗争
except against their side.
凯茜 你究竟相信还是不相信
Kathy, do you or don’t you believe in this?
如果你相信 你怎么能这样…
Because if you do, how can you talk about…
汤姆 没看到我在和凯茜说话吗
Tom, will you please? Kathy and I are talking.
爸爸 我…
But, Pop, I…
汤姆 等等 怎么了
Tom, what is it? What’s the matter?
和人打架了 到底是谁干的
Did you have a fight? Argument with one of the guys?
他们叫我肮脏的犹太佬
They called me a dirty Jew and a stinking kike,
然后就打我
and they all ran off.
宝贝 这不是真的 这不是真的
Oh, darling, it’s not true. It’s not true.
你和我一样不是犹太人 这是一个可怕的误会
You’re no more Jewish than I am. It’s just a horrible mistake.
凯茜
Kathy!
过来 汤姆 究竟是怎么回事儿
Come with me, Tom. We’ll talk about it in here.
别再哭了
Take it… Take it easy, sport.
来 喝点水
Want some water?
不 谢谢
No, thanks.
怎么发生的
Where did it happen?
是吉米那伙人吗
Jimmy in it? Somebody sock somebody?
是的 他们冲着我大声地喊叫
No. They just yelled. It was at our corner.
在学校里也欺负我
One was a kid from school.
他们不许我跟他们一起玩
They were playing hop, and I asked could I play, too.
还 还说 还说这是个小犹太佬 别跟他一起
The school one said no dirty little Jew could play with them.
别跟他一起玩
And they all yelled those other things.
他们总是冲着我大喊
I started to speak, and they all yelled,
骂我是 犹太鬼
“Your father has a long, curly beard, ” and turned and ran.
为什么 爸爸
Why did they, Pop? Why?
好了 喝点水
Come on, drink some of this.
你害怕自己是犹太人吗
Did you want to tell them that you weren’t really Jewish?
– 不 – 这就好
– No. – That’s good.
你瞧 汤姆 这世界上有很多的孩子都是犹太人
See, there’s a lot kids just like you, Tommy, who are Jewish,
他们一旦承认自己是犹太人
and if you said it, it’d be sort of admitting
就会遇到同样的麻烦
that there was something bad in being Jewish and something swell in not.
他们也会打架 是吗
They wouldn’t fight. They just ran.
我想是的
Yeah, I know.
有许多大人也是这样 汤姆
There’s a lot of grownups just like that, too, Tom.
只是他们用的方法不同 不是喊叫
Only they do it with wisecracks instead of yelling.
– 好了吗 – 好了
– Okay? – Sure.
好孩子
Atta boy.
你去那边儿看会儿书 我和凯茜谈一会儿
You want to go and read or something while I talk to Kathy?
好的
Okay.
噢…
Oh…
这件事儿就我们知道好了 奶奶身体不好
Let’s keep this to ourselves till Grandma’s well, huh?
好的
Okay.
我有话对你说 菲尔
Phil, I’ve got something to tell you.
对这一切我非常地厌倦了
I’m pretty tired of feeling wrong.
我所说的关于犹太人的一切都错了
Everything I do or say is wrong about anything Jewish.
我刚才所说的那些话是戴维和我家的真实情况
All I did just now was to face facts about Dave and Darien,
还有我告诉汤姆的…
and to tell Tom just what you told him the other…
不是这样
Not just what. You’ve only assured him
你只是那种最可爱的美国白人
that he’s the most wonderful of all creatures,
那种好的基♥督♥徒
a white, Christian American.
总是让人立刻感觉到做白人的优越感
You instantly gave him that lovely taste of superiority,
而这也是许多父母
the poison that millions of parents
给孩子灌输的毒药
drop into the minds of millions of children.
你真的认为我是反犹太主义者
You really do think I’m an anti-Semite.
– 不 我没那么说 – 你是的
– No, I don’t, Kathy. – You do.
– 你一直就是这么认为的 – 不对
– You’ve thought it secretly for a long time. – No.
我只是突然意识到还有许多好人
It’s just that I’ve come to see that lots of nice people who aren’t,
那么多人痛恨他们厌恶他们
people who despise it and detest it and deplore it
避开他们来保持自己的纯洁
and protest their own innocence,
如果你想改变就行动吧
help it along and then wonder why it grows.
谁也不是天生的斗士
People who’d never beat up a Jew.
人们只是保持沉默
Or yell “kike” at a Child.
认为反犹太主义是遥远的事情
People who think that anti-Semitism is something away off
是某个没有修养的落后地区才有的现象
in some dark, crackpot place with low-class morons.
这是我写作过程中得到的最大发现 凯茜
That’s the biggest discovery I’ve made about this whole business, Kathy.
那些好人 善良的人
The good people, the nice people.
你是说你即使写完了文章
You mean you’re not going to Darien this summer
也不想去我家了
even though you’re finished by now?
我们以后再说吧
Let’s save that for another time.
噢 我恨它 我恨它
Oh, I hate it, I hate it,
我恨这可怕的事情
I hate everything about this horrible thing!
这些犹太人真是制♥造♥麻烦
They always make trouble for everybody! Even their friends.
即使朋友之间也被迫声明站在那一边
They force people to take sides against them.
别说了 别说了
Quit it! Quit that!
他们没叫我写这文章
They didn’t suggest this series,
他们没有叫我这样写
they didn’t give me the angle!
他们跟我们的事
They haven’t got a single thing to
没有任何关系
do with what’s happened between you and me.
别嚷嚷
Don’t shout at me.
我知道你心里是怎么想的
I know what you’re thinking about marrying me.
我在对汤姆说话的时候 从你的脸上看出来了
I saw it on your face when I said that to Tom.
你别再教我怎么学会容忍♥了
And don’t treat me to any more lessons of tolerance.
我已经厌恶了
I’m sick Of it!
我不会嫁给一个脾气暴躁爱大声嚷嚷的家伙
I’m not going to marry into hothead shoutings and nerves,
我现在就告诉你
and you might as well know it now.
凯茜
Kathy.
我很抱歉 我自己也恨自己
I’m sorry I shouted. I hate it when I do it.
不 这不是问题的关键
It’s not just the shouting, Phil. It’s everything.
自从那天晚上
You’ve changed since that
我在约翰叔叔家认识你以后 你就变了一个人
first night I met you at Uncle John’s.
这没有用的
It’s no use, Phil.
现在我知道为什么当你告诉我新角度时 我才退缩
Now I know why I drew back when you told me the angle.
你在做不可能的事情
You’re doing an impossible thing.
只有那天晚上才是真实的你
You are what you are for the one life you have.
你生下来是基♥督♥徒还是犹太人 不是由你来决定的
You can’t help it if you were born Christian instead of Jewish.
而且你并不见得就幸福
It doesn’t mean you’re glad you were.
可是我很高兴
But I am glad. There. I’ve said it.
我真的很高兴
It’d be terrible. I’m glad I’m not.
可我无法让你明白这一点
I could never make you understand that.
你永远无法明白 因为
You could never understand that it’s a fact,
长相英俊
like being glad you’re good-looking
而不是丑陋 富有而不是贫穷
instead of ugly, rich instead of poor,
年轻而不是年迈 健康而不是生病
young instead of old, healthy instead of sick.
你永远不明白的
You could never understand that.
我不是有优越感
It’s just a practical fact, not a judgment that I’m superior.
我无法让你明白这一点
But I could never make you see that.
你在追求可怕的东西
You’d twist it into something horrible.
歧视 痛苦 排斥
A conniving, an aiding and abetting
这一切我和你一样地清楚
a thing I loathe as much as you do.
最好 最好现在就结束 就让这一切马上结束吧
It’s better to finish it now, get it over with right now.
我…
I…
我恨你这样做
I hate you for doing this.
本来我们可以那样的幸福
We could’ve been so happy.
是那样的欢乐
We had so much to enjoy and so much to share.
我恨你把这一切从我们的身边夺走
And I hate you for taking it away from both of us.
我恨你
I hate you for that.
他还在睡呢 真可爱