Hello, Tom. What’s up?
什么
What?
听着 汤姆 柜子里有瓶药
Tom, listen, there’s a bottle of medicine in the cabinet.
赶快找出来给奶奶服用 好吗
Get it and give some to Grandma right away.
五分钟以后我就到家
Yeah, I’ll be there in five minutes.
– 出什么事儿了 – 好像是中风
– What’s happened? – Sounds like a stroke.
– 我得回去了 – 安 帮我找一下希伯伦斯大夫
– Well, I’ll get a cab. – Anne, find Dr. Abrahams’ name
让他马上赶过去
in this directory, and ask him to get down there right away.
J·E·希伯伦斯
J.E. Abrahams.
我和你一块儿去
I’m going with you.
嗯
Hmm?
噢
Oh!
她真好 一句怨言也没有
She is magnificent. Never complains.
只是一个劲儿地问我 今天不上班学校怎么办
Just keeps worrying about my school if I’m down here all day.
我们该请个钟点工来照料她
Maybe we ought to hire a part-time maid, Kathy…
你最好别吱声儿 什么也别说
Ever try drying dishes and keeping your mouth shut?
免得她不高兴
It goes much faster.
我们完全可以把我们的婚期
Cheer up, darling. Postponing a wedding
往后推迟一点
isn’t the worst thing in the world.
推迟多久
Well, I suppose it isn’t.
希伯伦斯大夫说她一两个星期就会好
Just a week, two at the most, Abrahams said.
如果你往后推一两个星期
Well, might as well break the news, folks.
我就无法参加了
I’m afraid I won’t be here for it.
你说什么 戴维 你必须参加
What? Why, Dave, you got to be.
菲尔离不开你 我也是
I don’t think Phil could get married without you, and I couldn’t either.
– 出什么事儿了 – 没什么
– Why? What happened? – Nothing. That’s just it.
我不能永远丢下我的家人不管
I can’t abandon my family forever
房♥子再加花♥园♥太遥远了
or find a house or an apartment.
我倒是可以住地铁
If it was just me alone, I’d sleep in the subway,
可我得为卡罗尔和孩子们着想
but I’ve got Carol and the kids to think about. I’ve got to go back.
世上没有两全的事儿 只能这样
There’s no two ways about it. I’m licked.
那么 那工作呢 你的未来呢
Yeah, but that means the job, your whole future.
我这不是第一次了
I’ll live. I did before.
你可以再去试一试
Why, Dave, that’s terrible.
我昨晚给卡罗尔打了电♥话♥
I spoke to Carol on the phone last night.
我告诉她我再找一天
I told her I’d give it one more day,
但恐怕机会不大
but I know there isn’t a chance.
她也很孤独 所以我得回去了 管他什么好工作呢
She’s lonely, too. I’ve got to go back, big job or not.
这是怎么回事
What is it, Phil?
没什么
Oh, nothing.
走吧 菲尔 我们俩出去走走
Come on, Phil, let’s you and I get out of the house for a while.
凯茜不会介意的 而且妈妈危险期已经过去了
Kathy won’t mind, and you know Ma’s out of danger now.
你需要透透气
You need some air.
我要走了
I’m going.
– 我要去费尔弥饭店 – 什么
– I’m going up to Flume Inn. – What?
我可以把机票用掉 今天下午就去
I’m going to use those plane tickets we had for this afternoon.
– 然后回来 – 为什么
– I’ll be back later. – Phil, what for?
– 你这是浪费时间 – 是的
– You’re wasting your time. – Sure.
可你总得回击啊
But there must be a time once when you fight back, Dave.
我要他们当着我的面拒绝我
I want to make them look me in the eye and do it.
我需要满意的答复
I want the satisfaction.
我无法解释 可我一定要这样做
I can’t explain it, but I want to do it for myself.
菲尔 你这样做可能…
Phil, they’re nothing more than…
让他去吧 凯茜
Let him do it, Kathy.
你总得面对这些 我在蒙特利也经历过一次
You have to face them once. I did it once at Monterey.
他们不仅仅是讨厌的势利小人 凯茜
They are more than nasty little snobs, Kathy.
如果这样说 就轻而易举地放过了他们
You call them that, and you can dismiss them. It’s too easy.
对于这个国家
They’re persistent little traitors
某些总也无法根除的恶习
to everything that this country stands for
你就必须和它斗争到底
and stands on. You have to fight them.
不仅仅是为了戴维所说的那些可怜的犹太人
Not just for the “poor, poor Jews, ” as Dave says,
这个国家象征着自♥由♥
but for everything this country stands for.
反正我是去定了
Anyway, I’m going.
回头见
See you later.
祝您在我们这儿住得愉快
I think you’ll find this room more comfortable, Mrs. Brewster.
– 谢谢 – 我预定了一个房♥间
– Thank you. – I have a reservation,
双人间 带浴室 今天到星期四
a double room and bath, today through Thursday.
你的姓名
In what name, please?
格林 菲利普·格林
Green. Philip Green.
格林
Yes, Mr. Green.
我妻子明天到
My wife will be here tomorrow.
好的
Oh, yes.
– 还有一件事儿 – 什么事儿
– One more thing. – Yes?
你们饭店有限制吗
Is your hotel restricted?
这个 我很难说什么限制
Well, I’d hardly say it was restricted.
那么是没有限制了
Then it’s not restricted?
请稍等一下
Would you excuse me a moment, please?
– 你好 格林先生 – 你好
– How do you do, Mr. Green? – How do you do?
在回答你的问题之前 我想问一问你…
In answer to your question, may I inquire, are you…
是不是你自己信奉希伯来教
That is, do you follow the Hebrew religion yourself,
还是仅仅想了解一下情况
or is it that you just want to make sure?
我问了一个简单的问题
I’ve asked a simple question.
希望得到一个简单的回答
I’d like to have a simple answer.
你瞧 我们上乘客人很多
Well, you see, we do have a very high-class clientele,
自然也就
and, well, naturally.
那么你们确实限制客人的种族了
Then you do restrict your guests to Gentiles?
可以这么说 格林先生
Well, I wouldn’t say that, Mr. Green.
我恐怕他们是弄错了
But in any event, there seems to be some mistake,
我们现在没有空房♥间
because we don’t have a free room in the entire hotel.
要是你愿意 我也许可以在附近的布鲁斯饭店
But if you’d like, perhaps I can fix you up at the Brewster Hotel,
替你安排一下
down near the station.
我不住布鲁斯饭店
I’m not staying at the Brewster.
我告诉你我是犹太人
Look, I’m Jewish, and you don’t take Jews.
你们不接待犹太人 是不是
That’s it, isn’t it?
我从没有那么说过
I never said that.
如果不接待就请说清楚
If you don’t accept Jews, say so.
你别对我大声嚷嚷 格林先生
Don’t raise your voice to me, Mr. Green.
请小声说话
You speak a little more quietly, please.
是 还是不是
Do you or don’t you?
格林先生 我很忙
Mr. Green, I’m a very busy man.
如果你要我帮你叫辆车
Now, if you want me to phone for a cab,
或定个房♥间 我可以帮忙 否则…
or a room at the Brewster, I’ll do so, otherwise…
否则什么
Otherwise what?
汤姆
Tommy?
噢 是菲尔 你好
Oh, Phil. Hello.
一看你的表情就知道情况很糟
It was bad. I can tell by your face.
戴维说得对 那是浪费时间
Dave was right. It was a waste of time.
妈妈怎么样
How’s Ma?
她没事儿 她睡着了
She’s fine. She’s asleep.
汤姆出去玩儿了
Tom’s out playing.
– 戴维在哪儿 – 他和安在一起
– Where’s Dave? – He’s gone out with Anne.
他要收拾好行李
He packed all afternoon.
再利用这一点时间
They decided to have a last night on the town.
找一找房♥子
They’ll wind up here later.
喝点咖啡好吗
How about some coffee?
不 谢谢
No, thanks.
你累了吗 亲爱的
Tired, darling?
不
No.
我只是在想戴维的事
I’m just thinking about Dave.
你大概还在想房♥子的事情
I suppose you’re thinking about the cottage, Phil.
是的 戴维的房♥子
Yes, I did think about that.
我也是 你知道
So have I. You must know that.
可这没有用
And it wouldn’t work, Phil.
如果戴维搬到那种地方去住
It would just be too uncomfortable for Dave,
他会感到非常地不舒服的
knowing he’d moved into one of those neighborhoods.
亲爱的 你明白吗
Darling, don’t you see that? It’s detestable, but that’s the way it is.
我们这边的情况已经够糟的了
It’s even worse in New Canaan.
可是新哈特那边的情况简直可怕
There, nobody can sell or rent to a Jew.
他们连东西都不会卖♥♥给犹太人的
And even in Darien, where Jane’s house is and my house is,
他们也有君子协定…
there’s sort of a gentleman’s agreement when you buy…
君子协定 凯茜 你怎么能…