Now, Phil, I’m not asking you to make loopholes where it counts,
像今晚安这样的聚会等重要的场合出现漏洞
at the office, meeting people, like at Anne’s tonight,
可是去康涅狄格州参加一个聚会
but to go up to Connecticut to a party…
而且如果名人要住在我的房♥子里
And if we were to use my house next summer…
再说简和哈利…
And besides, Jane and Harry…
你不是说他们很有地位吗
I thought you said they were so grand.
他们是的 可他们没有办法
They are, but they can’t help it
因为他们的一些朋友…
if some of their friends are…
再说这样会造成非常不好的影响…
And besides, it would just make…
混乱 丢脸 与他们带来不便
A thing, a mess, an inconvenience.
当然会的
Well, it would.
对简和哈利 还有你
For Jane and Harry, or for you, too?
我会不知所措的
I’d be so tensed up all the time,
而且一点儿也高兴不起来
I wouldn’t have any fun either.
要是事情真的发展到了这种地步 我可怎么办呐…
Oh, Phil, if everything’s going to be so tensed up and solemn, I…
我得走了
I think I’d better go now.
把他叫醒 别管他说什么 让他快点儿
Wake him up no matter what he says. Tell him to hurry.
别担心 我会的
Don’t worry. I’ll get him.
爸爸
Pop.
爸爸 快起来
Pop, get up. It’s for you.
奶奶说要叫醒你
Grandma said to wake you.
嗯
Uh-huh.
你好 你的电♥话♥
Hello. It’s for you.
– 什么 – 电♥话♥
– What for? – Telephone.
好的
Okay.
起来
Get up!
很晚了吗
It’s late, isn’t it?
嗯哼
Mmm-hmm.
你把这个穿上
Here’s your bathrobe.
我不要
I don’t want it.
爸爸 你穿上吧
I said put it on.
爸爸 你的拖鞋
Hey, Pop, here are your slippers.
噢 总算把他叫醒了
Finally roused him.
喂
Hello.
戴维…
Dave…
戴维 你在哪儿 什么时候到的 是戴维
Dave! Where are you? When did you get in? It’s Dave!
嘿嘿 太好了 你在哪儿
Hey, this is wonderful. Where are you?
我就在纽约 刚到
La Guardia. Just now.
我现在休假 刚刚过来看看新工作
I had a break and got assigned to a plane with my C.O.
还没吃早饭呢 听到了吗
And I haven’t had breakfast. Get it?
我的天呐 戴维 那你赶紧过来行吗
Well, grab yourself a cab and get right over here, will you?
好吧 一会儿见 嘿 妈妈
Okay. So long. Hey, Ma.
快准备一些您的著名的热饼
Can you summon up some of your famous hotcakes?
就像从前一样
We used to eat a stack apiece in the old days.
我会露露我的老手艺的
I guess the old magic still works.
我也可以吃点儿吗 奶奶
Can I have some, too, Grandma?
你一天要吃几次早饭
How many breakfasts can you eat in one day?
嗯 一点高兴的事都不给我
Okay. I never have any fun.
汤姆快点儿 要迟到了
You’re going to be late for school if you don’t hurry.
我知道几点钟上课
I know what time school starts.
可是我不爱吃水果
And besides, I don’t like fruit.
可你爱吃香蕉
You like bananas, don’t you?
好吧 好吧 就算是吧
Well, bananas are different.
– 我说爸爸 – 嗯
– Say, Pop! – Huh?
我们是犹太人吗
Are we Jewish?
吉米·哈利说我们是的 我问问是不是真的
Jimmy Kelly said we were. Our janitor told his janitor.
那你是怎么回答的
Well, what did you say to Jimmy Kelly?
我告诉他要问问您
I told him I’d ask you.
你还记得我和凯茜带你看的电影吗
You remember that movie that Kathy and I took you to?
记得
Sure.
你问是不是真有电影上那种事儿
And how you asked if things like that really happened?
凯茜说那个是假装的
Kathy said they were pretending.
噢 我现在也在假装犹太人
Yeah, well, I’m pretending that I’m Jewish
为的是写篇文章
for the stuff that I’m writing now.
你是说像电影或者是游戏
Oh, you mean like a movie or a game?
大概是吧
Yeah, something like that.
听我说 汤姆 我要你向我保证绝不告诉任何人
Look, Tom, I’d like it if you’d promise not to tell anybody it’s a game.
这是场游戏
Would you promise that?
– 当然可以 – 那好
– Okay. Sure. – All right.
你准备怎么跟他说呢
What’ll you tell Jimmy, Tom?
我就说爸爸没有告诉我
Well, I’ll say I haven’t any information.
嘿嘿 等一下 等一下
Well, wait a minute. Wait a minute.
也许这样对他说并不是一个好办法
Maybe that’s not such a good idea to say you haven’t any information.
我看你可以说你问过我了
Maybe you better say that you’d asked me,
我说我们有犹太血统
and I said I was partly Jewish, okay?
– 好的 – 好的
– Okay. – Okay.
但是不能说是游戏
But not tell him it’s the movie part?
还要吃吗?
Have some more, Dave?
我吃不下了
Doctor, Doctor, please, you’re hitting a nerve.
那么我要购物去了
Good. Then I can go do my marketing.
盘子就交给你们
And I’ll thank you two hulks to at least
收拾了
pile the dishes in the sink while I’m gone.
实在太好了
Oh, Dave, it’s wonderful.
很想和卡罗尔他们
Do you really think you’ll bring Carol and the kids east and live in New York?
– 生活在一起吧 – 正有此意
– We can all be together. – That’s the plan.
我可以做那家大公♥司♥的代理
You know, I can be eastern representative of the firm. Big job.
这是我多年来最好的工作
Best break I ever had.
当然这取决于我是否找到住的地方
It all depends, of course, if I can find a place to live.
我这次休假就是来找找
I’m going to spend my terminal leave just to look and look and look,
看能不能找到一个大房♥子 让卡罗尔 孩子住下
and try to find a place big enough for Carol and the kids.
我们会找到的 否则就炸了它
We’ll find you something if we have to dynamite.
你暂时住在这儿
Meantime, you’ll stay here.
汤姆可以睡客厅的沙发
Sure, Tommy can sleep on the sofa in the living room.
– 噢 等一下… – 别争了
– Now, wait a minute… – No arguments, please.
你在和平民说话呢 上尉先生
You’re talking to a civilian, Captain.
噢 你赢了 知道吗 我的长官现在
You win. You know, my C.O. had to move in
也和他的一位叔叔住在一起
with an uncle he hasn’t seen since the First World War.
我帮着做饭吧
I’ll help with the cooking.
只要我还能动就绝对不行
Not while I’m conscious, you won’t. Goodbye, boys.
孩子们 别把难题都解决了 留点儿给明天吧
Don’t settle all the problems today. Save some for tomorrow.
啊 真是太好了
Boy, I’m loaded.
这一直是我的梦想
You know, I used to dream about doing this, Phil.
你写这个系列报道怎么回事儿
What about this series you’re doing?
我说的够多了
I’ve talked about myself enough.
现在 轮到你了
Come on. Give.
待会儿再说吧
We’ll get to it later.
你怎么了
What’s eating you, Phil?
什么
Who, me?
在等电♥话♥
You expecting a call?
每隔几分钟看一下电♥话♥
You keep looking out toward the phone every few minutes.
这很明显
It’s that obvious?
我 我和她吵了一架
I… I had a scrap with my girl.
我想她会给我打电♥话♥的 所以在等
I guess I wanted her to be the one to phone.
我在写
That’s another department.
一篇揭露反犹太主义的文章 特别报道
I’m doing a series on anti-Semitism with a special angle.
这倒很有趣
That’s interesting.
有趣 你不高兴吗
Interesting? Don’t you want a good, stiff series
这是一家全国性的大杂♥志♥
in a big national magazine?
我 当然高兴
Me? Sure.
你好像不感兴趣
You sound bored.
怎么说呢
I’m anything but.
对于反犹太主义 我只是一个旁观者
It’s just that… Well, I’m on the sidelines of anti-Semitism.
你才是斗士
It’s your fight, brother.
好了 我明白
Okay, I get it.
听我说 我不在乎我是不是犹太人
Listen, I don’t care about the Jews as Jews.
也不在乎别人说我可怜的犹太人之类的话
It’s the whole thing, not the poor, poor Jews.
你明白我的意思
Well, you know what I mean.
别让我说出气话来
Don’t force me to make with the big words.
我说 你这篇文章有什么特别的呢
Anyway, what’s this special angle you’ve got?
我已经 写了一段时间了
Well, I’ve been doing it for a while.
我对别人说我是犹太人 很管用