Anne. You’re on your own, kids.
谢谢
Fine friend.
走吧 弗莱德 让他们单独待会儿
Come on, Fred. I want them to be alone.
这是我的未婚妻凯茜·莱斯
Professor, this is my fiancee Kathy Lacy.
– 你好 教授 – 我叫菲尔·格林
– How do you do, Professor? – I’m Phil Green.
约翰·蒙纳菲一直
As a matter of fact, John Minify
想安排我们认识一下
has been wanting to get us together.
让我想想看 噢
Oh, yes, yes.
是的 我说过这事儿
Yes, he told me he did.
你好 我想写一篇关于反犹太主义的文章
How do you do? I’m doing a series for him on anti-Semitism.
支持还是反对
For or against?
噢 他认为我们应该交换一些意见
Well, he thought that we might hash over some ideas.
什么样的意见
What sort of ideas?
– 巴勒斯坦 比方说犹太复国主义 – 哪个
– Palestine, for instance. Zionism. – Which?
是拯救巴勒斯坦
Palestine as a refuge,
还是让犹太复国主义建立一个国家
or Zionism as a movement for a Jewish state?
这两者确实存在混淆
The confusion between the two, more than anything.
太好了 如果你同意存在混淆
Good. If we agree there’s confusion, we can talk.
我们可以谈下去
We scientists love confusion,
不过现在我谈谈我的做法
but right now, I’m starting on a new crusade of my own.
听我说 年轻的朋友
You see, my young friends,
我没有宗教信仰 所以我不信奉犹太教
I have no religion, so I’m not Jewish by religion.
此外我是个科学家
Further, I’m a scientist, so I must rely on science,
所以必须依靠科学
which shows me I’m not Jewish by race,
而从科学的角度来说 我不是犹太人
since there’s no such thing as a distinct Jewish race.
因为世界上并没有犹太人种
There’s not even such a thing as a Jewish type.
只是犹太种类而已
Well, my crusade will have a certain charm.
那么我的做法是公开声明我不是犹太人
I will simply go forth and state flatly, “I’m not a Jew.”
我不是逃避现实
With my face, that becomes not an evasion,
而是创立了新的原理 是的 一种新的科学原理
but a new principle, a scientific principle.
非常科学
For a scientific age.
正是这样
Precisely.
这个世界很多人的宗教信仰都很模糊
There must be millions of people nowadays
所以我不明白
who are religious only in the vaguest sense.
为什么犹太人仍然称自己为犹太人
I’ve often wondered why the Jewish ones among them
你猜得出是为什么吗
still go on calling themselves Jews.
格林先生 你说呢
Can you guess why, Mr. Green?
猜不出 你说吧
No, but I’d like to know.
因为这个世界认为 不是犹太人占有优势
Because the world still makes it an advantage not to be one.
所以我们许多人必须停止
Thus, for many of us, it becomes a matter of pride
称自己是犹太人
to go on calling ourselves Jews.
你瞧 我又回到刚才问题的出发点了
So you see, I will have to abandon my crusade before it begins.
只是那些反犹太主义者不放过我
Only if there were no anti-Semites, could I go on with it.
现在我再给你做一个科学小实验
And now I would like to try another little scientific experiment.
你能不能留下
I wonder if you would leave me alone
你这美丽的未婚妻
with your very beautiful fiancee
离开一会儿呢 替我拿一盘吃的东西来
while you went and got me a plate of food?
我…
Well…
你们不是对科学感兴趣吗
Both in the interest of science.
好吧 为了科学 教授
Anything for science, Professor.
你好 我是蒙纳菲的侄女儿 我叫凯茜
I’m John Minify’s niece Kathy Lacy.
– 来点这个 – 谢谢
– And a little onion. – Thank you.
– 给你 弗莱德 – 谢谢
– There. Now go play with that, Fred. – Thank you.
这不是我第三次来取吃的
This is not my third trip around, Miss Dettrey.
这是给林顿教授的
It’s for Professor Lieberman.
那跟我来 要不要点儿鱼子酱
Who’s counting? Shall I fix him some caviar?
鱼子酱
Caviar.
大家都在给我付所得税呢
It’s all deductible from my income tax, dear.
我得经常搞些聚会 看看女人们都穿些什么衣服
I have to give parties to see what the women are wearing. Get it?
你这坏蛋
You old crook.
你也是坏蛋
Young crook, please.
好吧
Okay.
你觉得我女朋友怎么样
How do you like my girl, Anne?
很漂亮
She’s lovely.
你和她是当真的还是在逢场作戏
Is it serious or just the first-find careless rapture?
当然是真心的 我们就要结婚了
Serious, all right. We’re going to be married any minute.
噢 那祝贺你
My congratulations, you willful, headstrong fellow, you.
你是什么时候爱上她的
When did all this happen?
大概是我第一次见到她的时候
First time we looked at each other, I guess,
在我来纽约的第三天
third day I came to New York.
高大建筑和地铁交通并没有吓到你
Tall buildings and subways and traffic didn’t scare you at all?
当然没有 我刚到这里
Not a bit. I brushed the hay and straw out of my hair
就落到了一个城市姑娘的手中
and fell right in love with a city girl.
哈哈 你可真有运气
You could crawl right into The Saturday Evening Post, couldn’t you?
你有没有见过她姐姐家里的人呢
Have you met her family yet, her sister and the rest?
哦 还没有 你认识
No, not yet. Do you know them?
不太熟 你会见到他们吗
Slightly. You going to meet them soon?
下星期吧 干嘛
Next week, I think. Why?
我觉得你应该认识他们一下
I’d just like the newsreel rights. That’s all.
你什么意思 他们怎么了
Well, what do you mean? What’s the matter with them?
没什么
Nothing.
我只是觉得 应该先认识一下家里人
I just think it’s a fine idea to meet the family first, don’t you?
然后再考虑结婚的事儿
It saves wear and tear afterwards.
晚会不错
Nice party.
都到凌晨了
It’s even nicer here.
我一直在想 你也许最好还是
I’ve been thinking, maybe it would be better
别告诉你姐姐 嗯
if you didn’t tell your sister after all, huh?
为什么
Not tell her? Why?
这计划是否成功 就在于
Well, the whole business depends on my not making loopholes
不能有任何漏洞
whenever it’s convenient.
我已经告诉她了
I’ve already told her.
– 是吗 什么时候 – 嗯哼
– You did? When? – Mmm-hmm.
今晚在安的家里
Tonight. I called her from Anne’s.
简要我答应她
Jane made me promise to let her know
你一决定这个星期六去哪里就通知她
the minute you said you’d be free for Saturday.
你知道 安排一个大型的晚会是需要时间的
You know, it takes time to make arrangements for a big party.
那她都说了些什么
What’d she say when you told her?
她说她会给你安排一些最聪明的人
Oh, she thought it was the cleverest way in the world to do research.
你会喜欢的 也会喜欢哈利 他们人好极了
You’ll love her. And Harry, too. They’re grand people.
她保证不会说
But she promised?
她要是没有保证我就不会告诉她的 哈利也是
I wouldn’t tell her until she had. And Harry.
她只是一个劲儿地说着聚会的事儿
She just asked that you skip the whole thing for the party.
根本就没有提到这件事情…
She didn’t mean to deny it, just not to bring it up. And I said…
– 可你说了不 – 什么
– You said no. – What?
你说她不会在聚会上把事情说出去
You said, “No, he won’t skip the whole thing for the party.”
我没说 我会照顾你的
No, I didn’t. I said I’d ask you.
我从来就没有说过 你觉得呢
I’d never say yes without asking you.
你觉得我应该吗
You mean, you think I should?
亲爱的 为什么一提起这个话题
Darling, why do you always lose your sense of proportion
你就这么地紧张
whenever the subject comes up?
你应该学学林肯教授的样子
That was what was so wonderful about Professor Lieberman tonight.
他对这个问题的感受和大家是一样的深
He certainly feels the problem as deeply as anyone else,
可他却是那么地幽默
yet he did have a sense of humor about it.
再说
And besides,
你也知道郊区那些人的德行
you know those suburban groups, Connecticut, Darien, up there.
他们才不在乎
It would just start a whole mess
哈利和简说些什么话呢 你不用担心的
for Jane and Harry for nothing.
可那会造成混乱的
And if it were a mess for something?
我们就说你不是犹太人
But, Phil, you’re not Jewish.
如果有什么问题都交给简去处理吧
It would just ruin the party for Jane if she had problems with it.
你怎么不明白 我知道我答应过你
Why can’t I make you see that? I know I promised.
谁也不会例外
No exceptions.
可是你愿意把道理告诉简 对吗
And you were being reasonable to stretch it to Jane.
我只是觉得
But it just seems so
把假的事情说成是真的实在是太傻了
silly to start a thing for her up there when it’s not true.
你干嘛不告诉简取消聚会呢
Why not tell Jane just to call off the party?
她要是这样的话 会显得非常的古怪
Well, it would seem so queer.
她唯一的妹妹就要结婚了
Her only sister getting married,
她当然要做点事
and if you were, I’d manage.
谢谢
Thanks.
菲尔 我也不希望你在办公室或者是在

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!