我们…还可以赶上九点过两分那一班火车
We… We can still make the 9:02.
不了 我今天很累了 而且你也喝醉了
No, I’m exhausted and you’re drunk.
– 我们明天再继续吧 – 不
– We’ll pick up tomorrow. – No.
听他的吧 汤姆
You heard him, Tom.
回家去吧
Come home.
我来付计程车的钱
I’ll pay for the taxi.
你来这里做什么?
What the hell are you doing here?
我还可以给你做晚饭 这些都不用你付钱
I can make you dinner. I’ll pay for that, too.
快离开这里 我在工作呢
Get out of here. I’m working.
珀金斯先生已经告诉你 今晚不需要再继续工作了
Mr. Perkins has informed you you’re not working anymore tonight…
所以跟我一起回家吧
so come on, come with me.
伯恩斯坦夫人…
Mrs. Bernstein…
– 别碰我! – 我的天啊
– Don’t touch me! – For heaven’s sake.
– 站在那里别动 – 天啊 艾琳!
– You stay there. – Jesus, Aline!
– 走吧 – 艾琳
– Come. – Aline.
你不想看见我?
You don’t want to see me?
那好!
Fine!
那好!
Fine!
那你永远也别想再见到我了
You will never have to see me again.
艾琳
Aline.
– 嗯? – 你在做什么?
– Well. – What are you doing?
你到底在做什么?
What the hell are you doing?
– 艾琳! – 不!
– Aline! – No!
– 别这样 – 不!
– Stop it. – No!
– 吐出来! – 不!
– Spit ’em! – No!
快吐出来!
Spit ’em!
– 不 – 快把东西吐出来 快啊
– No. – You spit ’em out.
吐出来!快吐出来
Spit ’em out.
快吐出来
Spit ’em out! You spit it out.
别这样 艾琳 亲爱的
Stop now, Aline. My love.
亲爱的 我的天使 别这样
My love, my angel. Stop now.
好了 好了 好了
All right. All right. All right.
坚强点 亲爱的
Show me your strength, darling.
看着我 快看着我!
Look at me. Look at me!
站起来
Show me your strength.
嗯?加油 快站起来
Come on. Come on.
好了 快啊 就是这样
All right. Come on. Come on. That’s it.
好了 没事了
All right. All right.
珀金斯先生…
Mr. Perkins…
我知道这样的闹剧 通常不会发生在五楼
I know things such as this don’t happen here…
这种地方 对此我很抱歉
on the fifth floor. I apologize.
没这个必要 我先进去了
That’s not necessary. If you’ll excuse me.
等一下 等等 我一会就过去
Wait up, wait up. I’ll be right there.
不 汤姆 不用了!
No, Tom, really!
给我几分钟时间
Just give me a second.
回家里等我 好吗
I’ll see you at home. All right.
没事了
All right.
删减的那个部分 你是对的
You were right about the cut.
抱歉我刚刚发这么大脾气
Sorry about being such a bear.
你不觉得应该陪伯恩斯坦夫人回去吗?
Don’t you think you should go with Mrs. Bernstein?
不用 她只是随便闹一闹
Hell, she was just being theatrical.
好了 先跳过删减的部分
All right, so we forget about the cut.
我们来讨论一下 尤金在伦敦那部分的内容
Let’s go on to Eugene in London.
“伦敦对于他而言 是个陌生复杂的地方”
“He thought of the huge smoky web of London with the same joy…
“但只要有浓烈温润的麦芽酒 他便能享乐其中”
“of the suave potent ale he could get in one place there…
“不论是在广场 还是古旧的法♥院♥…”
“of its squares and ancient courts…”
爸爸!
Daddy!
爸爸!
Daddy!
快点
Hurry up.
– 嗨 爸爸 – 你好啊 小宝贝
– Hi, Daddy. – Hello, duck.
爸爸 我钓到一条虹鳟鱼 有九英寸长呢!
Daddy, I caught a rainbow trout. Nine inches!
快去帮你妹妹抬东西
You go help your sisters.
你不会相信…
You would not believe the amount…
麦克斯韦尔 别这样
Maxwell, please.
汤姆
Tom.
汤姆!
Tom!
结束了
It’s done.
结束?
Done?
别写了
Stop writing.
把你写的东西整理一下 明天拿到我办公室去
Gather all your papers and bring them in tomorrow.
你能做到吗?
Can you do that?
你能做到吗?
Can you do that?
能
Yes.
我们这个月把书编辑完 四月份拿去印刷
We finish editing this month. We go to press in April.
然后十月就可以出版
We publish in October.
看着我 然后回答我你知道了
Look at me and say yes.
我知道了
Yes.
– 嗯 终于 – 嗯哼
– Shoot. – Well
我想出去散散心
I think I’ll go rambling.
可能会去欧洲
Maybe Europe.
书评出来的时候 我可不想待在这里
Don’t want to be around when the reviews come out.
怎么了?
What?
有一个段落 我想加进书里
There’s one paragraph I have to add to the book.
– 天啊! – 我必须加进去
– By God! – I have to add it.
如果你现在还要加内容 我们就完了
If you start adding paragraphs, we’re sunk.
让你加了一段 你就会想加第二段 这样耗下去 一年又过去了
One paragraph will lead to two and then we’ll be here for another year.
我能先读给你听听吗?
Shall I read it to you?
我想加在前言部分
It goes at the very front.
“这本书谨献给麦克斯韦尔·埃瓦茨·珀金斯”
“This book is dedicated to Maxwell Evarts Perkins.
“一个勇敢 诚实的人”
“A brave and honest man…
“他陪伴本书作者”
“who stuck to the writer of this book…
“度过了人生中最苦痛的日子”
“through times of bitter hopelessness.
“作者希望”
“The author hopes…
“这本书能帮他实现自身价值”
“this book will prove worthy of him.”
– 我不建议你加 – 噢
– I wish you wouldn’t. – Oh
– 为什么? – 编辑都应该是匿名的
– Why? – Editors should be anonymous.
更重要的是
More than that…
我一直担心自己的编辑
there’s always the fear…
会使你的作品走形
that I deformed your book.
你最初版的作品 到底是不是它最佳的版本
Who’s to say it wasn’t the way it was meant to be…
这谁又说得清楚呢?
when you first brought it in?
《战争与和平》
War and Peace.
它的重点不仅仅只是落在战争上
Not just War.
麦克斯
Max.
这也是为什么我们编辑 容易失眠的原因 知道吗?
That’s what we editors lose sleep over, you know?
我们真的有让作品更上一层楼吗?
Are we really making books better?
还是说 我们只是改变了它本身想要传达的内容?
Or just making them different?
早上好 珀金斯先生
Morning, Mr. Perkins.
威科夫小姐 你知道哪儿能找到乌尔夫先生吗?
Miss Wyckoff, where would we find Mr. Wolfe at the moment?
他现在在巴黎 先生
He’s in Paris, sir.
“书评都非常正面 全是褒奖之词”
“Magnificent reviews. Full of praise.
“祝贺你 再一次成功了 麦克斯”
“Congratulations, you’ve done it again. Max.”
“相信我 比起该死的谎言 我更能接受不太完美的事实”
“I can face blunt fact better than damnable incertitude.
“直接把该死的真♥相♥告诉我吧 别再逗我了!”
“Give me the damn straight plain truth right now, damn you!
“汤姆”
“Tom.”
“人们到处在谈论这本书 都说这是一本意义非凡的杰作”
“Talked of everywhere as a truly important book.
“他们还把你和其他一些伟大的作家相提并论”
“All comparisons with greatest writers.
“甚至包括詹姆斯·乔伊斯”
“Even James Joyce.”
“乔伊斯倒希望自己有这么优秀呢”
“Hell, Joyce wishes he was so good.”
“我们又加印了五版”
“Had to rush out five editions of the book.
“整整三万册”
“Thirty thousand copies.
“从没见过一本书 能有如此高的关注度”
“Never seen a book so talked about.
“人们又一次为你冠上天才的头衔”
“They’re calling you a genius again, God help you.
“赶快回家 麦克斯”
“Come home soon. Max.”
伯恩斯坦夫人
Mrs. Bernstein.
珀金斯先生
Mr. Perkins.
有什么能帮你的吗?
What can I do for you?
这句话应该由我来问你 珀金斯先生
It’s rather what can I do for you, Mr. Perkins.
我注意到 汤姆将他的新书献给了你
I couldn’t help noticing Tom dedicated his new book to you.
如果你还记得的话 他的上一本书是献给我的
He dedicated his first book to me, you will recall.