Don’t eat that. It’s Pluto.
《星际事业》
到了叛逆青春期 我的目标并没有太大的改变
My goais didn’t change a iot in the intervening years…
我爸妈挺担心的
much to my parents’dismay.
文生
Vincent
你必须实际一点 像你心脏太衰弱…
You have to be realistic. With your heart condition…
妈 我的心脏也可能不会出问题
Mom, there’s a chance there’s nothing wrong with my heart.
百分之一的机会
One in a hundred.
-我还是愿意尝试 可以吧? -问题是 他们不愿意
– I’ll take it. – The trouble is, they won’t.
听着…拜托你…
Listen. For God’s sake…
你必须了解
you gotta understand something.
你能看到宇宙飞船内部的唯一机会就是去当清洁工
The only way you’ll see the inside of a spaceship is to clean it.
我爸说得没错
My father was right.
我的简历里有多少弄虚作假都没用
It didn’t matter how much I iied on my resume.
我真正的简历在我的细胞里
My reai resume was in my ceiis.
既然已经有这么多”身世清白”的人
Why shouid anybody invest aii that money to train me…
他们干嘛要花这么多钱来训练我呢?
when there are a thousand other appiicants with a far cieaner profile?
当然 歧视是违法的
Of course, it’s iiiegai to discriminate.
那被称为”基因歧视”
“Genoism,”it’s caiied.
但是没人认真对待法律
But no one takes the iaw seriousiy.
如果你拒绝”暴露身份”
If you refuse to disciose…
他们大可从门把上或者通过握手采集到你的基因样本
they can aiways take a sampie from a door handie or a handshake…
甚至是申请表上的唾液
even the saiiva on your appiication form.
如果还是无法确认的话 一次合法的药检就能轻易变成
If in doubt, a iegai drug test can just as easiiy become…
非法的窥视 预测你在该公♥司♥的前途
an iiiegai peek at your future in the company.
你确定吗?你知道你会输
You sure you wanna do this? You know you’re gonna lose.
那是我们最后一次一起游泳
It was the iast time we swam together…
一直游到远海里
and out into the open sea…
跟往常一样 明白向着地平线每滑一次水
iike aiways, knowing each stroke to the horizon…
都意味着回到岸边就多滑一次水
was one we’d have to make back to the shore.
但当天有点很不一样
But something was very different about that day.
安东每次想要超前
Every time Anton tried to puii away…
就发现我就在他身边
he found me right beside him.
最后不可能的事发生了
Untii finaiiy, the impossibie happened.
文生!文生!
Vincent!Vincent!
那是我们这辈子里唯一一次
It was the one moment in our iives…
我弟弟没有他相信的那样强
that my brother was not as strong…
而我不是那样弱
as he beiieved and I was not as weak.
那一刻让我相信其它事情也有可能
It was the moment that made everything eise possibie.
就跟其它像我这样的人一样
Like many in my situation…
此后几年我常到处奔走混一口饭吃
I moved around in the next few years, getting work where I couid.
我大概清过了州里一半以上的厕所
I must’ve cieaned haif the toiiets in the state.
我被归入一个不再以社会地位
I beionged to a new underciass…
和肤色来区分的新下层阶级
no ionger determined by sociai status or skin coior.
-欢迎来到盖特卡公♥司♥ 先生们 -不
– Welcome to Gattaca, gentlemen. – No.
如今 我们受到了科学的歧视
We now have discrimination down to a science.
那是你们的清洁工具
There’s your cleaning material.
从前面开始一直清到后面
Start from the front, clean all the way back.
我要你们把地板擦得可以照见我微笑的脸
And I wanna see my smiling face on that floor.
你什么毛病啊 大人? 幻想上太空吗?!
What about you, Your Majesty? You dreaming of space?
跟我来
Come here.
你可以从打扫这里开始
You can start by cleaning this space right here.
当我站在这里时 心里确定 尽管近在咫呎
I was never more certain of how far away I was from my goai…
我的目标却远在天涯
than when I was standing right beside it.
文生 玻璃不要擦得太干净
When you clean the glass, don’t clean it too well.
你什么意思?
What do you mean?
免得你胡思乱想
You might get ideas.
但擦干净后 你就能清楚的看见
But if it’s clean, it’ll be easier to see me
我在另一头干什么
when I’m on the other side of it.
“天体航♥空♥学”
我只是嘴硬而已我知道自己不过尔尔
For aii my brave taik, I knew it was just that.
不管我多么努力训练和学习
No matter how much I trained or how much I studied…
如果我没有验血结果 即使我
the best test score wouidn’t matter
有全世界最好的考试成绩也没用
without the biood test to go with it.
我决定采取非常手段
I made up my mind to resort to more extreme measures.
这个出现在我眼前的人
The man who showed up at my doorstep…
可不是一般的商人
didn’t exactiy advertise in the Yeiiow Pages.
站直
Stand straight.
-你怎么会知道我的? -别人介绍的
– How did you hear about me? – People.
身体上有没有什么标记? 刺青 疤痕 胎痣什么的
Any distinguishing marks? Tattoos, scars, birthmarks?
没有
No. I don’t think so.
你真的想这样? 别浪费我的时间
You’re serious about this? I hope you’re not wasting my time.
我…我真的想这样
No, I’d give 100%.
决心是成功的一半
That’ll get you halfway there.
那是旧版 但我全背下来了
That’s an old edition, but I know it all by heart.
背下来了?
By heart?
你必须了解这种事是不能走回头路的
You realize the commitment is binding.
你有人选吗?
You have somebody?
对于基因优秀的人来说 成功是比较容易达成的
For the geneticaiiy superior, success is easier to attain…
但这并不表示万无一失
but is by no means guaranteed.
再说 也没有决定命运的基因
After aii, there is no gene for fate.
精英成员冥冥中
And when, for one reason or another…
也会有阴沟里翻船的可能
a member of the eiite faiis on hard times…
他们的基因身份也就变成了黑市里的高价商品
their genetic identity becomes a vaiued commodity for the unscrupuious.
有人失就会有人得
One man’s ioss is another man’s gain.
他身家很清白
His credentials are impeccable.
寿命长得你无法想像
An expiration date you wouldn’t believe.
事实上那家伙可以永远活下去
The guy’s practically gonna live forever.
智商非常高
He’s got an I. Q off the register.
双眼视力都好过20/20
Better than 20/20 in both eyes.
牛一样强壮的心脏 他可以撞倒一面墙
And the heart of an ox. He could run through a wall.
如果他还能跑的话
If he could still run.
事实上 他曾是游泳健将
Actually, he was a big-time swimming star.
文生 你用这家伙的DNA 身份包你吃得开
You could go anywhere with this guy’s helix tucked under your arm.
我不是说过吗?你俩长得太像了 我都想要双倍价钱了
What did I tell you? You look so right together I wanna double my fee.
-我们长得一点都不像 -已经不错了
– We don’t look anything alike. – It’s close enough.
你记得上次别人看你照片是什么时候吗?
When was the last time anybody looked at a photograph?
你甚至可以用我的照片
You could have my face on your name tag, for Christ’s sake.
意外的事我要怎样交待?
How do I explain the accident?
这正是玄妙所在
That’s the beautiful thing.
意外是发生在国外的
It happened out of the country.
他的记录里没有他摔断了脊柱这一项
There’s no record he broke his back. As far as anyone’s concerned…
到现在别人还以为 他是一个完全健全的社会成员
he’s still a walking, talking, fully-productive member of society.
你只要别让他去碰烟 酒
You just have to get him clean
就可以用他的身份过下半辈子
and fill in the last year of his life.
你是外国人?
You’re a foreigner.
他们才不理你是哪里人 他们只在乎你如何出生
They don’t care where you were born, just how.
血液是不分国界的
Blood has no nationality.
只要验血结果让他们满意
As long as it’s got what they’re looking for…
你就可以高枕无忧了
it’s the only passport you need.
上面还有谁在住?
Who lives up there?
反正不是我
I certainly don’t.
就这样 我们展开了”变成杰隆”工程
So began the process of becomingJerome.
近视是这个讲求优生学的时代最明显的缺点
Myopia is one of the most obvious signs of a disadvantaged birth.
没有别的办法了吗
Isn’t there another way?
动手术不是明智之举 他们会发现疤痕
Surgery’s no good. They’ll see the scars.
只能戴隐形眼镜了
It’s contact lenses or a white cane.
再说 颜色也不太对
Besides, the color doesn’t match.
没错…我的眼睛比较美
He’s right. My eyes are prettier.
说好的 我提成25%
You understand I take 25% of everything you make.
万一不成功的话所有的配备
If it doesn’t work out, this equipment
必须在七天内归还
must be returned within seven days.
而且定金不能退你
And you don’t get your deposit back.
-慢着 你说的是20% -不过是差5%…
– I thought you said 20%. – He told me 20%.
-20%! -这一点没得商量
– Twenty percent. – It’s not negotiable.
我想这样就好了
I guess that’s it.
还没
Not quite.
-为什么? -身高还有点问题
– Why? What? – There’s still the matter of height.
你多高? 四呎六吋
– How tall are you? – 4’6″.
意外前多高?
How tall were you before the accident?
很不幸记录里列明六呎一吋
Unfortunately, his profile says he’s 6’1 “.
那我可以垫脚垫