They’re more afraid of terrorism than of you.
总督同意只要你肯出面 主张不用暴♥力♥就释放你
The Viceroy has agreed to your release, if you will speak for nonviolence.
我从来没有主张过暴♥力♥
I’ve never spoken for anything else.
大英帝国
England…
是如此强大
…is so powerful.
陆军
Its army…
海军
…and its navy…
全配备着现代武器
…all its modern weapons…
但是当他们用如此强大的武力
But when a great power like that…
来对付无抵抗力的人♥民♥时
…strikes defenseless people…
就显示出他们的残酷 不仁道
…it shows its brutality…
也暴露他们的弱点
…its own weakness.
尤其是当那些人不还击时
Especially when those people do not strike back.
还击是没有用的
Fighting back will not work.
所以圣雄
And that is why the Mahatma…
才要求我们非暴♥力♥的行动
…begs us to take the course of nonviolence.
退后…
Back away!
如果我们暴♥动♥
But if we riot…
如果还击
…if we fight back…
我们就成为破坏者
…we become the vandals…
他们就成为合法者
…and they become the law.
如果我们承受攻击 他们就是破坏者
If we bear their blows, they are the vandals.
神与法律就站在我们这边
God and His law are on our…
第一班采跪姿
Front rank, kneel in position!
我们
We…
一定要有承受
…must have the courage…
其愤怒的勇气
…to take their anger.
我们要先警告他们吗
Should we issue a warning, sir?
我们已经警告过了
They’ve had their warning:
不准集♥会♥
No meetings.
开枪…
Fire!
慢慢来
Take your time!
下士
Corporal!
向左方射击
To your left.
戴尔将军
General Dyer…
你是否曾叫部队
…is it correct that you ordered your troops to fire…
往人最多的地方射击
…at the thickest part of the crowd?
是的
That is so.
死伤1516个人
1,516 casualties with…
用了1650发子弹
…1,650 bullets.
我是想杀鸡儆猴
My intention was to inflict a lesson…
让全印度人都能有所警惕
…that would have an impact throughout all India.
将军
General…
如果你能把装甲车开进去
…had you been able to take in the armored car…
你会用机关枪来扫射吗
…would you have opened fire with the machine gun?
我想可能会吧
I think, probably, yes.
将军 你知道群众里有妇孺吗
General, did you realize there were children and women in the crowd?
我知道
I did.
可是为了达到目的 这都无关紧要吗
But that was irrelevant to the point you were making?
是的
That is correct.
能不能请问你如何处置伤者
Could I ask you what provision you made for the wounded?
只要申请救援都予以救助
I was ready to help any who applied.
将军
General, how does a child…
一个中弹的小孩
…shot with a.303 Lee-Enfield…
如何来求救呢
…apply for help?
请原谅我 不过你们必须了解
Forgive me, gentlemen, but you must understand…
国王陛下的政♥府♥和英国人♥民♥
…that His Majesty’s government and the British people repudiate…
否认此次大屠♥杀♥的发生及其原因
…both the massacre and the philosophy that prompted it.
现在
Now…
我想对此新立法
…what I would like to do…
采取一个
…is to come to some compromise…
折衷方案
…over the new…
请容我插嘴 大人
If you will excuse me, Your Excellency…
在我们看来 此事已经不仅关乎”立法”
…it is our view that matters have gone beyond legislation.
我们觉得贵国政♥府♥该体认到
We think it is time you recognized…
你们是在别人家里当主人
…that you are masters in someone else’s home.
不论你们有多好心
Despite the best intentions of the best of you…
你们必须羞辱我们才能控制我们
…you must, in the nature of things, humiliate us to control us.
戴尔将军只是这种理念下 一个极端的例子
General Dyer is but an extreme example of the principle.
是该你们离去的时候了
It is time you left.
甘地先生
With respect, Mr. Gandhi…
没有英国的统治
…without British administration…
印度会大乱的
…this country would be reduced to chaos.
奇诺先生
Mr. Kinnoch…
请你接受这个事实 世界上任何人
…I beg you to accept that there is no people…
都宁可要一个自己的坏政♥府♥
…who would not prefer their own bad government…
也不要外国的好政♥府♥
…to the good government of an alien power.
印度是英国的属地
My dear sir, India is British.
我们并非是外国
We’re hardly an alien power.
即使国王陛下 能放下一切顾虑
Even if His Majesty could waive all other considerations…
国王对印度上百万的回♥教♥国民 负有责任
…he has a duty to the millions of his Muslim subjects…
在此其为少数
…who are a minority in this realm.
过去的经验显示维持和平
And experience suggests that his troops…
必须用上英王的军队
…and his administration are essential…
以及统治方式
…in order to secure the peace.
各国都有某教派的少数份子
All nations contain religious minorities.
就如其他国家也会有这种问题
Like other countries, ours will have its problems.
但这是我们的问题
But they will be ours…
而不是你们的
…not yours.
你要如何使它变成你们的
How do you propose to make them yours?
你认为我们会就这样走出印度吗?
You don’t think we’re just going to walk out of India?
是的
Yes.
到最后
In the end…
你们总是要走出去
…you will walk out…
因为凭十万的英国人是
…because 100,000 Englishmen simply cannot control…
无法控制三亿五千万个印度人
…350 million Indians, if those Indians refuse…
如果印度人不合作的话
…to cooperate.
这正是我们的目的
And that is what we intend to achieve.
和平的 不使用暴♥力♥的 不合作
Peaceful, nonviolent noncooperation…
直到你们自己 能够明智的撤走
…till you yourself see the wisdom of leaving…
大人
…Your Excellency.
我问他 你认为我们 会就这样走出去
I said to him, “You don’t expect us just to walk out?”
他说 是的
And he said, “Yes.”
他真是个了不起的小个子
What an extraordinary little man, isn’t he?
不用暴♥力♥ 不合作
“Nonviolence, noncooperation.”
我原本担心 他们真的要有所行动
For a moment, I was afraid they were actually going to do something.
不过我认为还是得小心一点
Yes, but I think it would be wise to be very cautious for a time.
反恐怖行动仍在政法中
The Antiterrorist Act will remain on the statutes.
不过不能逮捕甘地
But on no account is Gandhi to be arrested.
不管他造成了多大的灾害
Whatever mischief he causes…
我可不想把他捧成殉难者
…I have no intention of making a martyr of him.
可是现在情况更糟了
But now something worse is happening.
在甘地和我还小的时候
When Gandhiji and I were growing up…
女人自己织布自己穿
…women wove their own cloth.
可是现在上百万个人失业了
But now there are millions who have no work…
因为买♥♥得起的人 都向英国购买♥♥一切所需
…because those who can buy all they need from England.
我和甘地都觉得
I say with Gandhiji:
如果最漂亮的布匹
There is no beauty in the finest cloth…
会造成饥饿和不幸 便不再漂亮了
…if it makes hunger and unhappiness.
我要对你们所说的
My message to you…
就如我对其他同胞说的一样
…is the message I have given to your brothers everywhere.
想要独♥立♥自主
To gain independence…
必须先证明自己 才能够独♥立♥
…we must prove worthy of it.
印度教与回♥教♥必须 一直团结下去
There must be Hindu-Muslim unity always.
第二
Second…
英国人所对待我们的方式 绝不能也对待于印度同胞身上
…no Indian must be treated as the English treat us.
必须从心中和实际生活中
We must remove untouchability…
除去低等贱民的观念
…from our hearts and from our lives.
第三
Third…
必须反抗英国人
…we must defy the British.
不是使用暴♥力♥ 那会激怒他们