“One lone man, marching dusty roads, armed only with honesty…
与大英帝国孤军奋战
…and a bamboo staff, doing battle with the British Empire.”
在英国 孩子们都以他为作文题目
At home, children are writing essays about him.
他们要什么
What do they want?
盖勒
Gareth!
租金减少
There’s a rebate on rents paid.
准许他们自♥由♥栽种作物
They’re to be free to grow crops of their own choice.
一个由英国人和印度人组成的 民怨处理委员会
And a commission, part Indian, to hear grievances.
这该能让他满意了
That would satisfy him?
英王的政♥府♥也会满意
And His Majesty’s government.
只要你签个字给地主
It only needs your signature for the landlords.
只要能赶走他就值得了
It’ll be worth it to see the back of him.
谢谢长官
Thank you, sir.
我们太过放任了
We’re too damned liberal.
或许
Perhaps.
不过至少能让政♥府♥了解
At least this has made the government see some sense about what men…
对甘地这类人 该准他什么 不准他什么
…like Mr. Gandhi should be allowed and denied.
甘地先生呢
Where is Mr. Gandhi?
他说他宁愿走路
He said he preferred to walk, sir.
我一路跟着他 他就在转角
I followed him most of the way. He’s just turned the corner.
他坐三等车厢来的
He came third class.
神请赐予我耐心
God, give me patience.
真是蓬壁生辉
My house is honored.
是我们的荣幸
The honor is ours.
这是可朗北先生 是我的老朋友
I’d like you to meet Dr. Kallenbach, an old friend.
他对花很有兴趣
His interest is in flowers.
我擅自作主告诉他说 我们说话时他可以去花♥园♥走走
I told him he could wander your garden while we talked.
我会叫我的园丁来 我想你们有很多话可以聊
I’ll send for my gardener. You’ll have plenty to discuss.
谢谢
Thank you.
各位 占婆兰的英雄
Gentleman, the hero of Champaran.
我只是占婆兰的一个老顽固
Only the stubborn man of Champaran.
你认识彼帖先生
Mr. Patel you know.
马拉纳尔塞 我的同僚 也是个回♥教♥徒
Maulana Azad, my colleague and a fellow Muslim…
他最近才出狱
…and just recently released from prison.
你好
Adab.
克力帕先生
Mr. Kripalani.
当然 你认识尼鲁先生
And of course, you know Mr. Nehru.
我开始认识尼鲁先生了
I’m beginning to know Mr. Nehru.
请坐
Please sit down.
请坐
Do sit down.
各位 我透过吉纳先生 邀请各位来这里
Gentlemen, I’ve asked you to come here through Mr. Jinnah’s kindness…
因为本人有幸看到法案原文
…because I’ve had the chance to see the legislation.
一切诚如谣传
And it is exactly as was rumored.
逮捕不需要拘捕状
Arrest without warrant, and automatic imprisonment…
若拥有其视为妨害治安的书刊 立即拘捕坐牢
…for possession of materials considered seditious.
你写的文章被点名列出来
And your writings are specifically listed.
帮他们打世界大仗等于白打了
So much for helping them in the Great War.
只有一条路 直接行动
There is only one answer: Direct action on a scale…
规模要大到让他们措手不及
…they can never handle.
我认为不妥
I don’t think so.
恐♥怖♥主♥义♥正是 出兵镇♥压♥的好理由
Terrorism would only justify their repression.
而且这样会造就出 什么样的领导者
And what kind of leaders would it throw up?
我们需要这种人来领导本国吗
Are they men that we would want at the head of our country?
我也读过甘地先生的文章
I too have read Mr. Gandhi’s writings…
但我宁可让印度的恐♥怖♥份♥子♥统治 也不要英国人
…but I’d rather be ruled by an Indian terrorist than an English one.
我绝不屈服于此法之下
And I don’t intend to submit to that kind of law.
我觉得问题太严重
I must say, it seems to me…
消极的抵抗无效
…that it’s gone beyond remedies like passive resistance.
而我…
If I may…
我本人从未提倡消极抵抗
…l, for one, have never advocated passive anything.
我赞成吉纳先生
I’m with Mr. Jinnah.
我们绝对不向此法屈服
We must never submit to such laws…
绝不
…ever.
我觉得我们的反抗 应该积极的富煽动性
And I think our resistance must be active and provocative.
能不能让我来
May I?
我要让那些 想奴役我们的人难为情
I want to embarrass all those who wish to treat us as slaves.
谢谢你
Thank you.
他们全部的人
All of them.
这是个愚昧的例子 – 我来
Forgive my stupid illustration. – Allow me.
不了
No, please.
但是我要改变他们的心灵
But I want to change their minds…
而不是杀他们 就因为 他们具有和我们一样的弱点
…not kill them for weaknesses we all possess.
你建议要用何种的抵抗
And what resistance would you offer?
此法将于4月6日生效
The law is due to take effect from April 6.
我要号♥召全国人♥民♥在当天
I want to call upon the nation…
全体祷告和绝食
…to make that a day of prayer and fasting.
你是指全面性罢♥工♥
A general strike?
我是说祷告和绝食
I mean a day of prayer and fasting.
当然不工作 巴士
Of course, no work could be done. No buses.
火车都停开
No trains.
工厂停工
No factories.
政♥府♥不办公
No administration.
全国停摆
The country would stop.
天啊 他们一定会吓坏的
My God, it would terrify them!
三亿五千人都在祷告
350 million people at prayer?
即使是英国报纸也非得报导
Even the English newspapers would have to report that…
并要解释原因
…and explain why.
可是我们做得到吗 – 怎么会做不到
But could we get people to do it? – Why not?
占婆兰事件敲醒全国
Champaran stirred the whole country.
谢谢
Thank you.
他们叫你”圣雄”
They’re calling you “Mahatma.”
伟大的灵魂
“Great Soul.”
还好这种消息都很慢 才会传到我们的村子
Fortunately, such news comes very slowly to where I live.
我想如果大家都努力宣传
I think if we all worked to publicize it…
所有的国会议员
…all of Congress…
在街头巷尾加以宣传
…every avenue we know…
我能叫新德里和孟买♥♥的 多数报纸刊载此事
I could get articles printed in most of the papers in Delhi and Bombay.
只有平民会到 不是吗 陛下?
Only civilians will visit. Don’t you think so, Your Highness?
当然 军队会效忠的
Of course, the army will always be loyal.
你们要知道 我们的军力雄厚
I’ll have you know, we’ve got 500 troops.
我告诉你 到早上就会饿了
Damn hungry by morning. I’ll tell you that.
对不起 大人
Excuse me, Your Excellency.
金诺先生来了
Mr. Kinnoch.
恐怕已经证实了
Sir, I’m afraid it’s confirmed.
一切都停工了
Nothing’s working, sir.
巴士 火车 市场
The buses, the train, the markets.
这里的平民职员也没来上班
There’s not even any ordinary civilian staff here, sir.
只有新德里和孟买♥♥吗
Is it simply Delhi and Bombay?
喀拉蚩 加尔各答 穆德拉斯 邦加罗尔 是全国性的
Karachi, Calcutta, Madras, Bangalore. It’s total.
军队只好接管电报局
The army had to take over the telegraph…
否则我们会与世界失去联♥系♥
…or we’d be cut off from the world.
真是不敢相信
I can’t believe it.
他办的报纸 明天将在孟买♥♥开始发行
He’s going to sell his own paper tomorrow in Bombay, sir.
他们要在维多利亚路上游♥行♥
They’ve called for a parade on Victoria Road.
逮捕他
Arrest him.
带他去会客室
He’s to go to the visitors’ room.
巴布
Bapu.
你也…
You too?
较”圣雄”亲切
It seems less formal than Mahatma.
自从你被逮捕后 暴♥动♥一直都没停过
Since your arrest, the riots have hardly stopped.
规模不大 不过一直不断爆发
Not big, but they keep breaking out.
我忙着制止
I run to stop them.
彼帖和克利帕也没停过
And Patel and Kripalani, they’re never at rest.
但是已经有些英国平民被杀了
But some English civilians have been killed.
英军用木棒攻击群众
And the army is attacking crowds with clubs.
有时候更糟
Sometimes worse.
或许我错了
Maybe I’m wrong.
或许印度人还没准备好
Maybe we’re not ready yet.
在南非 我们人数少
In South Africa, our numbers were small.
政♥府♥很害怕 不知道该如何是好
The government’s afraid. They don’t know what to do.
他们害怕你 但是更怕恐♥怖♥主♥义♥