My name is Mohandas K. Gandhi.
我不管你是谁 我们不要你来
Whoever you are, we don’t want you here.
我建议你马上坐这班火车回去
I suggest you get back on that train before it leaves.
他们似乎要我来
They seem to want me.
你给我听着
Now, look here.
你是宁可要被逮捕吗
I’ll put you under arrest, if you’d prefer.
什么罪名
On what charge?
我不希望出事
I don’t want any trouble.
我是个印度人 在自己的国家里旅行
I’m an Indian traveling in my own country.
会惹出什么事
I see no reason for trouble.
最好别惹事
Well, there had better not be.
让开…
Make way for the officer.
多年来
For years…
地主一直命令我们
…the landlords have ordered us…
种靛青树
…to grow indigo…
用来染布料
…for dyeing cloth.
以一部份收成为租金
Always, they took part of the crop as rent.
可是现在
But now…
大家都跟英国买♥♥布料
…everyone buys their cloth from England.
没有人要
So no one wants…
我们的靛青染料
…our indigo.
地主们
The landlords…
要我们用现金
…say we must pay our rent…
付租金
…in cash.
我们能卖♥♥的
What we could…
都卖♥♥了
…we sold.
剩下的被警♥察♥拿走了
The police have taken the rest.
我们
There is…
没吃的了
…no food.
我明白了
I understand.
地主都是英国人
The landlords are British?
我们会尽量设法去解决
What we can do, we will try to do.
苏克拉
Shukla…
整个占婆兰省都这样吗
…is all Champaran like this?
是的 巴布
Yes, Bapu.
全部
The whole region.
成千
Hundreds.
上万的人
Thousands.
有些地主想帮忙
Some landlords have tried to help.
但是他们又能做什么呢
But what can they do?
你是甘地先生吗
Are you Mr. M. K. Gandhi?
对不起 你被捕了
I’m sorry, you’re under arrest.
我一点也不难过
I’m not sorry at all.
你说谁要请喝酒的
Who did you say would be buying the drinks?
不会吧!
Oh, no!
你知道吗 这是从牛津毕业后 最棒的一场球赛
Wouldn’t you know, that’s the best innings I’ve had since Oxford.
印度到处都是愁苦的老人
India’s full of grief, old man.
我完全不知道
I’ve got no idea.
只知道占婆兰省提哈利 有暴♥动♥还是什么的
All I know is there’s a riot or something at Motihari in Champaran.
全营都奉令要出动
The whole company’s ordered out.
我想见犯人
I would like to see the prisoner.
在左边
On the left, sir.
南非模式
Shades of South Africa.
不尽然
Not quite.
现在只是拘留
They’re only holding me…
要到本县县长审问后
…until the magistrate’s hearing.
才是坐牢
Then it will be prison.
他们拿走你的衣物了
Did they take your clothes?
现在起我的衣服就是这些了
These are my clothes now.
你一向有清教♥徒♥的倾向
You always had a puritanical streak.
如果想成为他们的一份子
If I want to be one with them…
就必须和他们一样的生活
…I have to live like them.
我想你是想
Yes, I think you do.
感谢上帝 不是所有的人都这样
But thank God we all don’t.
我的清教门派跟你的方向不同
My puritanism runs in a different way.
我没胆量穿成这种装扮
I’m far too modest for such a display.
能不能让我进去 我是神父
Couldn’t I be let in with the prisoner? I am a clergyman.
他们叫你”巴布”
They’re calling you “Bapu.”
我以为那是指父亲
I thought it meant “father.”
是这个意思
It does.
我们一定都老了
We must be getting old, Charlie.
你要我为你做什么
What do you want me to do?
可以帮忙的就是
I think that you can help us most…
接受在斐济那个职务
…by taking that assignment you’ve been offered in Fiji.
我必须要确定
I have to be sure…
他们也一样 这件事我们印度人
They have to be sure that what we do…
自己就能办得到
…can be done by Indians alone.
可是你懂我们的策略
But you know the strategy.
世界上有很多人也不屑 英国在这里的一切行为
The world is full of people who will despise what’s happening here.
我们需要的 就是这些人的力量
It is their strength that we need.
在你走之前
Before you go…
可以先指引我们正确的方向
…you could start us in the right direction.
我得由加尔各答离境
I must leave from Calcutta…
而且要很快地走
…and soon.
你必须替我跟芭说再见
Say goodbye to Ba for me.
那我…
Well, I…
我们之间不用道别
There are no goodbyes for us.
不论你人在哪里 在我心里永远都会有你
Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.
我要清场
I’m going to clear the courtroom.
我不知道我们能清场吗
I’m not sure we’d be able to.
这是初审 应该是公开的
It is a first hearing. It’s supposed to be public.
而且他是律师
And he’s a lawyer.
我不知道他们哪来的胆子
I don’t know where they found the nerve.
我也不知道 可是军队明天才会到
I don’t either, but the troops won’t be here till tomorrow.
新闻记者怎么会比军队早来的
How did the press get here before the military?
那个英国神父昨天下午 发了封电报出去
That English clergyman sent a number of telegrams yesterday.
我知道其中有一封是给总督的
I understand one of them even went to the Viceroy.
本庭宣判你扰乱治安之罪
You have been ordered out of the province…
驱逐出境
…on the grounds of disturbing the peace.
我拒绝离境
With respect, I refuse to go.
你想坐牢吗
Do you want to go to jail?
随便你
As you wish.
好吧
All right.
只要一百卢比交保
I will release you on bail…
我就释放你直到判刑确定
…of 100 rupees until I reach a sentence.
我拒绝缴一百卢比的保释金
I refuse to pay 100 rupees.
那就无罪开释
Then I will grant release on bail…
直到我做决定为止
…without payment until I reach a decision.
甘地…
Gandhiji! Gandhiji!
我们是从比哈来的
We are from Bihar.
早上我们接到一封
We received a cable from an old friend…
剑桥老友的电报
…who was at Cambridge with us.
他叫尼鲁
His name is Nehru.
我想你认识他 – 是的
I believe you know him. – Indeed.
他说你需要帮助 所以我们就来了
He tells us you need help, and we have come to give it.
我要记录这里的一切 要冷静而理性的
I want to document coldly, rationally, what is being done here.
可能要费时好几个月
It may take months.
我们目前没什么事
We have no pressing engagements.
你们必须和佃农在一起
You will have to live with the peasants.
会有危险性
There will be risks.
真搞不懂这个国家是怎么了
I don’t know what this country is coming to.
老天啊!
But good God, man!
可是你为了一次狩猎的花费 就要提高租金
You yourself raised the rent simply to finance a hunting expedition.
还有其他的事情 例如殴打 非法拘捕
And some of these others: Beatings, illegal seizures…
强迫他们为你工作却不给薪水
…demanding services without pay.
甚至拒绝给他们水喝
Even refusing them water.
在印度
In India!
不知道要怎么样 才能叫这些印度人工作
Nobody knows what it is to try to get these people to work.
你让这个半裸的傢伙
You’ve made this half-naked whatever-he-is…
变成世界闻名的英雄
…into an international hero.
孤单一人手持竹竿 在朴朴风尘中仅以诚实为武器