We were asked for patience.
我们有些人做到了
Some of us gave it…
但是有些人做不到
…and some did not.
现在他们的战争已经结束了
Their war is over.
不论支持
And those of us who supported it…
或不支持的人
…and those of us who refused…
都应该忘掉所有的歧见
…must forget our differences.
现在英国
And there can be no excuses…
不能再有藉口了
…from the British now.
印度需要
India wants…
自治
…home rule.
印度
India…
要求自治
…demands home rule!
恭喜
Congratulations.
不要心存疑问
And let no one question…
吉纳先生所说的不仅
…that Mr. Jinnah speaks…
代表回♥教♥徒
…not just for the Muslims…
也代表印度教♥徒♥
…but for all India!
现在
And now…
我要介绍一位人士
…l’m going to introduce to you…
他的文章
…a man whose writings…
大家已经逐渐熟悉
…we are all becoming familiar with.
他是我们挚爱的哥汉 极为敬重的一个人
A man who stood in high esteem with our own beloved Gokhale.
他在南非的成就
A man whose accomplishments…
将永远难以磨灭
…in South Africa will always be remembered.
甘地先生
Mr. Mohandas Gandhi!
你的杂♥志♥引起极大的回响
Your journal has made great impact.
彼帖先生太过奖了
I’m flattered by Mr. Patel.
如果说的是真的 我就更受宠若惊了
I would be even more flattered if what he said were true.
是真的
But it is true.
我常读的
I read it. Often!
自从我回国后
Since I returned from South Africa…
就一直在印度到处旅行
…I have traveled over much of India.
我知道即使再旅行几年
And I know that I could travel for many more years…
我也只能看到印度的一小部份
…and still only see a small part of her.
不过我已经能了解
And yet, I already know…
我们在这里所说的一切
…that what we say here…
对大多数的同胞而言毫无意义
…means nothing to the masses of our country.
在这里 我们互相给那些 可能刊登我们意见的
Here, we make speeches for each other…
那些英国自♥由♥解放杂♥志♥ 发表演说
…and those English liberal magazines that may grant us a few lines.
可是对印度人♥民♥而言
But the people of India…
却是
…are…
言不及意
…untouched.
他们的政♥治♥只限于面包
Their politics are confined to bread…
和盐
…and salt.
我们或许是文盲 但是眼睛并没瞎
Illiterate they may be, but they’re not blind.
他们没有理由 效忠有权有势的人
They see no reason to give their loyalty to rich and powerful men…
这些人只是在藉自♥由♥之名
…who simply want to take over the role of the British…
趁机取英国而代之
…in the name of freedom.
这个国会向世界宣布
This congress tells the world…
说他们代表印度
…it represents India.
兄弟们
My brothers…
印度
…lndia…
有70万个村落
…is 700,000 villages…
不是只有在新德里和孟买♥♥的
…not a few hundred lawyers in Delhi…
几百个律师
…and Bombay.
除非我们和那些
Until we stand in the fields…
顶着烈日 做苦工的多数同胞同甘共苦
…with the millions that toil each day under the hot sun…
否则我们就不能代表印度
…we will not represent India.
也不能以国家之名
Nor will we ever be able to challenge the British…
来对抗英国
…as one nation.
你看过他的杂♥志♥吗
Have you read his magazine?
没有
No.
不过我想我会要看了
But I think I’m going to.
靠边停
Pull over.
一定走错了
This can’t be the way.
是的 我想印度将朝这方面迈进
Yes, I’m sure this is the direction India is taking.
想到自己听了吉纳的话 就几乎激动起来
To think I almost got excited by Mr. Jinnah…
居然还有更精彩的在后头
…when all this was awaiting me.
我们在找甘地先生
We’re looking for Mr. Gandhi.
你可以在那棵树下找到他 – 谢谢
You’ll find him under that tree. – Thank you.
快点 我急着要看看这新力量
I’m anxious to meet this new force.
我努力地像个印度人生活
I try to live like an Indian, as you see.
这当然很蠢
It’s stupid, of course.
因为在印度
Because in our country…
是英国人 决定印度人的生活方式
…it is the British who decide how an Indian lives…
能够买♥♥什么 能够卖♥♥什么
…what he may buy, what he may sell.
从他们的富有
And from their luxury…
我们的贫苦中
…in the midst of…
他们还要告诉我们
…our terrible poverty…
何为公理 何为妨害治安
…they instruct us on what is justice, what is sedition.
所以难怪我们顶尖的年轻人
So it’s only natural that our best young minds…
虽然有东方的尊贵气质
…assume an air of Eastern dignity…
却一碰到西方的弱点
…while greedily assimilating…
就毫无抵抗的与其同化
…every Western weakness as quickly as they can acquire it.
只要能自治
If we have home rule…
那就会改变
…that’ll change.
请帮我拿
Would you, please?
英国为什么要准我们自治
Why should the British grant us home rule?
把这个果皮拿给羊吃
Here, we must take the peelings to the goats.
我们只能口出狂言 做出恐怖的事情
We only make wild speeches or perform even wilder acts of terrorism.
养了一批无政♥府♥主义的军队
We’ve bred an army of anarchists…
但与英国对抗时就全溃不成军
…but not one single group that can really fight the British anywhere.
我以为你们是反对战斗的
But I thought you were against fighting.
现在
Now…
散开在地上
…just spread it around.
好了
There you are.
它们喜欢 新旧果皮混在一起吃
They like the new peelings mixed in with the rotting ones.
只要有不公正的事 我一向主张要战斗
Where there’s injustice, I always believed in fighting.
问题是你是为改变事物而战 还是为惩罚而战
The question is, do you fight to change things or to punish?
我自己则是认为人类都是罪人 这种惩罚的事应该交给上帝
I’ve found we’re all such sinners we should leave punishment to God.
如果想改变事物
And if we really want to change things…
有很多方法
…there are better ways of doing it…
比让火车出轨和杀人好
…than derailing trains or slashing someone with a sword.
火升好了
The fire is ready.
你看
You see…
就算在这里
…even here…
也有暴♥政♥
…we live under tyranny.
我说过吧
What did I tell you?
看看他
Look at him!
我可以看见英国在发抖了
I can see the British shaking now.
我来找甘地先生
I’m looking for Mr. Gandhi.
我一直想跟你说话
I’ve been trying to speak to you for a long time.
我们卖♥♥不出
Our crops.
我们的收成
We cannot sell them.
我们没钱
We have no money.
可是地主不肯减地租
But the landlords still demand the same rent.
我们一无所有了
We have nothing left.
泰勒先生
Mr. Taylor, sir.
这边
Up here!
天啊
Jesus.
这里到底发生了什么事
What the hell is going on?
我不知道
I don’t know, sir.
站长收到一封电报
The agent got a telegram.
上面只说他来了 和说明火车到站的时间
And it just said, “He is coming” and gave the time of the train.
他是谁
Who the hell is “he”?
我不知道 长官
I don’t know, sir.
让开…
Make way!
走开 就是你
Out of the way. Come on, you!
你是谁
Who the devil are you?
我叫做莫罕德甘地