Thank you very much.
只要说几句话 我们就送你重返文明社会中
Just a few words, then we’ll get you to civilization.
可以吗?
May I?
我很高兴能回到祖国
I’m glad to be home…
谢谢你们如此的欢迎我
…and I thank you for your greeting.
我跟你太太一车
I’ll follow with your wife.
放心 一切都安排妥当了
Don’t worry. Everything’s arranged.
那个年轻人是谁
Who’s that young man?
那是小尼鲁
That’s young Nehru.
他兼具了父亲的智慧 和母亲的美貌
He’s got his father’s intellect, his mother’s good looks…
加上魔鬼的魅力
…and the devil’s own charm.
如果剑桥不把他毁了… 挥手…
If they don’t ruin him at Cambridge. Wave, wave!
他可能会有所成就
He might amount to something.
我承认 我刚认识你时
I must say, when I first saw you…
你是一个在孟买♥♥的新进律师
…as a bumbling lawyer here in Bombay…
没想到有朝一日 会来欢迎你这个国家英雄
…I never thought I’d greet you as a national hero.
我算不上是国家英雄
I’m hardly that, Mr. Patel.
你是的
Yes, you are!
两百年来能如此藐视大英帝国
It’s been two hundred years since an Indian cocked a snook…
而且平安无事的印度人 就只有你而已
…at the British Empire and got away with it.
别叫我彼帖先生 你不是新进职员了
And stop calling me Mr. Patel. You’re not a junior clerk anymore.
西北省的军事总督 也搭乘这班船
The new military governor of the Northwest Province was on that ship.
可惜你是坐三等舱
Too bad you came back third class.
不然他一定会对你一个在策略上
He might have been impressed…
战胜了史莫兹将军的律师 印象深刻
…by a successful barrister who’d outmaneuvered General Smuts.
我想是会的
Yes, I’m sure.
尼鲁夫人 你也参加吗
Are you involved too, Mrs. Nehru?
不…实际的事都交给我丈夫
No. I leave practical matters to my husband…
革命的事就交给我儿子
…and revolution to my son.
甘地先生 这位是吉纳先生 宴会的主人
Mr. Gandhi, I’d like you to meet Mr. Jinnah, our joint host…
他是国会议员 回♥教♥领袖
…member of Congress and leader of the Muslim League…
你好
How do you do?
这位是派卡区先生
…and Mr. Prakash, who, I fear…
他正要为妨害治安 和意图谋杀之罪而接受审判
…is awaiting trial for sedition and inducement to murder.
我并没有真的扣扳机杀人
I have not actually pulled the trigger, Mr. Gandhi.
我只是写了文章说
I have simply written…
如果英国人杀了违反英法的印度人
…if an Englishman kills an Indian for disobeying his law…
印度人因为英国人在
…it is an Indian’s duty to kill an Englishman…
不属于他们的土地上实行英法 就应该杀英国人
…for enforcing his law in a land that is not his.
很聪明的辩论 不过我没把握 这就能获得你要的结果
It’s a clever argument. I’m not sure it’ll produce the end you desire.
希望你能加入我们 争取制定自治法律的奋斗
We hope you’ll join us in our struggle for home rule, Mr. Gandhi.
对不起 甘地 我要你来见一个人
Excuse me. May I, Mohan? There’s someone I’d like him to meet.
失陪了
Excuse me.
抱歉这样催你
Sorry to rush you.
他对新闻界说 他将支持英国对抗敌军
He told the press he’d support the British in the war.
那才不是非暴♥力♥
That’s nonviolence for you.
甘地 请你谅解
You know, Mohan…
有件事我要忏悔
…now I have a confession to make.
我并不是自愿去南非的
I didn’t decide to come to South Africa.
是哥汉教授派我去的
Professor Gokhale sent me.
我们想建立一个国家
We are trying to make a nation, Gandhi.
可是英国却利用
But the British keep trying to break us up…
宗教 阶级 省份来分化印度
…into religions, principalities, provinces.
你在南非所写的
What you were writing in South Africa…
正是这里所需要的
…that’s what we need here.
我对印度的了解还不够
I have so much to learn about India.
而且我必须再度执业了
And I have to begin my practice again.
我需要钱办杂♥志♥
One needs money to run a journal.
胡说 查理 你先离开 这是印度人的谈话
Nonsense. Go on, Charlie, This is Indian talk.
不要你这个帝国人士夹在中间
We want none of you imperialists here.
好 那我去写报告给总督
All right, I’ll go and write my report to the Viceroy.
去找个信印度教的漂亮小姐
You go and find a pretty Hindu woman…
劝她改信基♥督♥教
…and convert her to Christianity.
只准乱来到这种程度
That’s as much mischief as you’re allowed.
我们找个安静的地方
Come, let’s find a quiet corner.
别管开业的事了
Now, you forget about your practice.
你还有别的事要做
You have other things to do.
印度有很多有钱人
India has many men with too much wealth.
能培养一些使印度不再冷漠
And it’s their privilege to nourish the effort of the few…
并脱离奴役的人是他们的荣幸
…who can raise India from servitude and apathy.
我会办到的
I’ll see to it.
你办你的杂♥志♥吧
You begin your journal.
我没什么好说的
I have little to say.
坐下吧
Come, let’s sit down.
印度对我而言是外国
India is an alien country to me.
改变这种想法
Change that.
去找寻印度
Go and find India.
不是你在这里看到的
Not what you see here…
而是真正的印度
…but the real India.
那你就会知道有什么需要说
You’ll see what needs to be said…
知道我们需要听些什么
…what we need to hear.
我一看到你穿着这身装扮 我就知道
When I saw you in that tunic, I knew.
我就知道自己可以瞑目了
I knew I could die in peace.
让印度能足以自豪
Make India proud of herself.
查理 你们两个别傻了
Charlie, please. You’re both being foolish.
可是空气好棒 何况里面也没位子了
But the air is lovely. Anyway, there’s no room in there.
拜托你们进来…
Please. Come in.
请别使用暴♥力♥
No violence, please.
让我用两只手抓 不然我会摔下去的
Let me hang on with two hands or I will fall.
英国人 大人
Englishman-sahib!
上面有座位
Come, there is room up here!
踩着窗户
Put your foot on the window.
来!
Come!
你在做什么 – 接近上帝
What are you doing? – I’m going nearer to God.
查理 小心
Charlie! Be careful!
放手
Let go!
放手
Let go!
放手 – 老天
Let go! – Oh, dear!
哈罗
Hello.
看吧 这里最舒服了
You see? It is most comfortable.
大人
Sahib?
你是基♥督♥徒吗?
Are you a Christian?
是的…我是基♥督♥徒
Yes, I’m a Christian.
我认识一个基♥督♥徒
I know a Christian.
她喝血
She drinks blood.
每个星期日都喝基♥督♥的血
Blood of Christ, every Sunday.
查理
Charlie!
没关系 大人 很安全的
It’s all right, sahib. It’s very safe.
弯下来
Bend!
祷告吧
Pray to God, sahib.
现在你最好能是个印度徒
Now is when it is best to be Hindu.
我同意吉纳的看法
I agree with Jinnah.
美国既然参战了 战争马上就会结束
Now that the Americans are in, the war will be over soon.
德国已经元气大伤
The Germans are worn out as it is.
我们首先应该
And our first act should be…
组织国会
…to convene a congress party convention…
要求独♥立♥
…and demand independence.
要同声一气
And we will speak with one voice.
团结一致
United.
并且要邀请甘地参加
And we should invite Gandhi.
他到底怎么了
What the devil’s happened to him?
他去找寻印度了
He’s discovering India.
这样比在重要事物上惹麻烦 要好的多了
A lot better than making trouble where it matters!
邀请他参加 让他说说他在南非的事迹
Invite him, let him say his piece about South Africa…
然后让他被遗忘吧
…then let him slip into oblivion.
暴徒
Insurgents.
他们让运兵车脱轨了
They’ve derailed a troop train.
走开! 快
Keep clear! Come on.
他们杀了一个英国士兵
They’ve killed an English soldier.
他们要求我们容忍♥
We were asked for toleration.
要求我们忍♥耐