…they will have my dead body…
而不是我的屈服
…not my obedience.
我们是印度教♥徒♥和回♥教♥徒
We are Hindu and Muslim…
都是神的子民 每个都是
…children of God, each one of us.
让我们以神的名义来发誓
Let us take a solemn oath in His name…
不论如何
…that, come what may…
绝不向此法律低头
…we will not submit to this law.
上帝保佑英王陛下
God save our gracious King
上帝保佑高贵的英王
God save our noble King
上帝保佑英王
God save our King
这些人是签了约的劳工
These men are contracted laborers.
他们属于矿场所有
They belong in the mines.
他们的同志被关起来了
You put their comrades in jail.
只要放了他们
When you free them…
这些人马上工作
…they will go back to work.
我警告过你了
I’ve warned you.
我们彼此警告过了
We’ve warned each other.
我想情况不太妙
I don’t think that’s very good.
稳住
Steady, steady.
停!
Stop!
攻击正中间
At the canter, charge!
我们应该躺下来
We should lie down.
躺下…
Down!
那些马不会踏我们的 躺下…
The horses won’t trample on us. Lie down!
好吧 算了 跟我来…
Follow me!
现在我们要怎么办
Now what the hell do we do?
让他们游♥行♥
Let them march.
在时机对的时候 自然会有好办法
In our own sweet time, in our own sweet way…
来对付他们
…we’ll get them.
同样的法律
One law!
同样的国王
One king!
同样的法律
One law!
同样的国王
One king!
或许有些人正庆幸 甘地先生
Some of you may be rejoicing that Mr. Gandhi…
总算被关起来了
…has at last been put into prison.
但是我要求各位 聚集在这神的殿堂中
But I would ask you, assembled here in this house of God…
认清我们亲眼目睹新的事物
…to recognize that we are witnessing something new…
如此出人意料 如此不寻常
…something so unexpected, so unusual…
难怪会让政♥府♥不知所措
…that it is not surprising the government is at a loss.
甘地先生迫使我们做的
What Mr. Gandhi has forced us to do…
是要我们扪心自问
…is ask questions about ourselves.
身为基♥督♥徒 这种问题很难回答
As Christians, those are difficult questions to answer.
我们该如何对待
How do we treat men who defy an unjust law…
一个抗拒不公平的法律
…who will not fight…
但是既不攻击政♥府♥也不屈服的人
…but will not comply?
不论是身为基♥督♥徒 或身为一个没有宗教
As Christians or as people who have not heard the word of…
我看他们一个也没放过
They’re sparing no one, I see.
不放过你才令人惊訝
No, you were the surprise.
全监狱都知道了
It has been all over the prison.
我还以为他们会太害怕英国新闻界
We thought they’d be too afraid of the English press.
我也是
So did I.
外面还有人在挖矿吗
I don’t know who they’ve left out there to do the work.
他们也逮捕女人吗
Have they touched the women?
我妻子公开反对这种法律 他们逮捕了她和另外四个
My wife publicly defied the law. They’ve arrested her and four others.
政♥府♥因此产生歧见
It split the government.
这是一个胜利
Well, that’s one victory.
只要我们坚定不屈 就能继续赢下去
If we hold firm, it won’t be the last.
放心
Don’t worry.
我从没见过 这么坚定的群众
I’ve never seen men so determined.
你指引他们一个对抗的途径
You have given them a way to fight.
甘地
Gandhi!
我要找甘地
I want Gandhi!
是哪一个印度阿三
Which Sammy is it?
甘地先生
Mr. Gandhi.
我想我们可以商量一下
I thought we might have a little talk.
谢谢你 丹尼尔
Thank you, Daniels.
要不要喝点酒
Will you have a glass of sherry?
谢谢 不用了
Thank you, no.
喝茶吗
Perhaps some tea?
我在牢里吃过了
I dined at the prison.
请
Please.
过来坐下
Do come and sit down.
我多少决定了要请求议会
I’ve more or less decided to ask the House to repeal the act…
重审你特别关切的那个法案
…that you have taken such exception to.
如果你提出请求 我相信他们一定会重审
Well, if you asked, General Smuts, I’m sure it will be done.
没那么简单
It’s not quite that simple.
我早只如此
Somehow, I expected not.
我想要召集皇家委员会
I thought of calling for a royal commission…
来调查这个新立法
…to investigate the new legislation.
我想我可以保证 他们会建议重审这个法案
I think I could guarantee they would recommend the act be repealed.
我恭喜他们
I congratulate them.
但是他们也可能建议要
But they might also recommend…
严格限制之后的印度移♥民♥来此
…that all future Indian immigration be severely restricted…
甚至予以终止
…even stopped.
我们这次并不想争取移♥民♥
Immigration was not an issue on which we fought.
现在起而争取是不对的
It would be wrong of us to make it one now that we…
这样是在利用有利的情势
We are in a position of advantage.
我已经下令在24小时之内 释放所有的犯人
I’m ordering the release of all prisoners within the next 24 hours.
而你此刻就自♥由♥了
You yourself are free as from this moment.
只要你也同意的话
Assuming we are in agreement.
只是穿这身衣服我希望能…
It’s just that in these clothes, I would prefer…
坐计程车
…to go by taxi.
好
All right. Fine.
可是我身上没钱
I’m afraid I have no money.
我也没有
Neither have I.
很抱歉
I’m awfully sorry.
丹尼尔
Daniels…
能不能借一先令 给甘地先生坐计程车
…will you lend Mr. Gandhi a shilling for a taxi?
您说什么 先生
I beg your pardon, sir?
你要去哪里
How far will you be going, Gandhi?
事情既然已经决定 我很想要回印度去
Now that this is settled, I’d thought seriously of going back to India.
不过目前一先令就够了
But a shilling will do splendidly for the moment.
谢谢你
Thank you.
我心领了
I’m obliged, Mr. Daniels…
不过我想我自己能找到路出去
…but I can find my own way out.
仪队注意!
Guard of honor!
仪队注意!
Guard of honor!
立正
Attention!
仪队举枪
Present arms!
天啊 他爱死这样了 – 不 他讨厌这样
My God, he loves it! – I’m sure he hates it.
今天在法国西方前线作战
Generals’ reputations are being made in France today…
的将军大出风头
…fighting on the Western front.
他们绝不会当印度的军事总督
Not as military governors in India.
那边是怎么回事
What the devil’s going on back there?
一定是在非洲没事找事 小题大作的那个印度人
Must be that Indian who made all that fuss in Africa.
我的小厮告诉我他也在船上
My cabin boy told me he was on board.
就是他
There he is.
天啊 他穿的像个苦力
God, he’s dressed like a coolie!
我以为他是律师
I thought he was a lawyer.
甘地先生 你拒绝穿西服吗
Mr. Gandhi, have you refused to wear European clothes?
不 我并没有拒绝穿
No, I haven’t refused.
我只是要穿的 和我牢中的朋友一样罢了
I simply wanted to dress the way my comrades in prison dress.
你会帮助英军吗
Will you support the war effort?
身为大英帝国公民 希望能分享其利益 受其保护
If I wish to enjoy the benefits and protection of the British Empire…
如果不帮助对抗敌军是错误的
…it would be wrong of me not to help in its defense.
现在你回到印度了 你有任何打算
Now that you’re back in India what are you going to do?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我不知道 – 甘地先生 最后一个问题…
I don’t know. – One more question.
身为印度女性 你如何面对坐牢这种屈辱
As an Indian woman, how could you accept the indignity of prison?
只要能追随我丈夫 我就不觉得受屈辱
My dignity comes from following my husband.
非常谢谢你